PDA

View Full Version : {Suggestion} Bioshock theme FM

Luna
December 5th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm bored, figured I'd take a stab at the Bioshock theme I talked about. This is just a rough idea, and it's not like these suggestions for FM themes can be taken too seriously since the hosts seem to be picked out for the next million games and the hosts will have their own ideas (but hopefully by then I'll have garnered some trust and can host one, or can share hosting duties with someone else if they want to use this theme ^^).

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't played the original Bioshock, then I suggest you find a way asap. Even if you plan never to read this. Because it's badass. Some mechanics may hint at plot elements.

"...I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor. Where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality. Where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well."
―Andrew Ryan

(Brief) Setting: All is not well in Rapture, an underwater utopia designed to be free from the meddling of any government. Civil war is consuming the city; Andrew Ryan's regime struggles to fend off Frank Fontaine's thugs, a bloody clash made even worse by the discovery of Adam. Harvested from a special form of sea slug, Adam is a substance capable of rewriting genetic code at a base level. Scientists began finding ways of using Adam to 'splice' people giving them new mutated powers, and the whole city began to revolve around this dangerous practice. As Adam becomes scarce, it must be harvested and recycled from dead bodies - this job is given to the Little Sisters, girls who take the material from corpses and flush it through their own systems (allowing the sea slug implanted in them to cleanse the Adam making it useable again). Hulking monstrosities were created to guard the Little Sisters called Big Daddies, monsters acting as guardian angels who recognise no authority, not even Ryan's.

The Forum Mafia game will begin with the city in anarchy. Fontaine and his thugs seek control of Rapture, whilst Andrew Ryan tries to restore his own failing regime. The majority of the populace only seek escape - by overwhelming each of these factions the townspeople can reach the bathyspheres and reactivate them, letting them all head to the surface and back to normal civilisation. Hidden amongst the populace are those who have their own secret agenda, however, as their life in Rapture and slavish dependance on Adam twists their maligned souls. There are also whispers of a terrible plane crash in the sea above, though the chances of any survivors in the burning wreckage making their way down to Rapture are slim...

In other words, in terms of factions there will be the Town against Ryan Industries and Fontaine Fisheries (2 Mafia-type factions). The Saturnine will play the role of the Cult. There are also some neutral roles.

Role List:

Andrew Ryan (Godfather)
Sullivan, Head of Security (Consigliere)
Hidden Mafia Role
Hidden Mafia Role
Frank Fontaine (Disguiser)
Yi Suchong (Drug Dealer)
Hidden Mafia Role
Hidden Mafia Role
Jack (Plane Crash Survivor)
Little Sister
Hidden Benign Neutral
Hidden Benign Neutral
Hidden Neutral Killing Role
The Saturnine (Cult Leader)
Sheriff
Investigator
Doctor
Armoursmith
Mason
Hidden Town Power
Hidden Town Power
Hidden Town Power
Hidden Town Power
Hidden Town Power
Hidden Town Power
Hidden Town Power
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen

You may notice some similarities between this role list and the one used in FMVII. Basically, I used it as inspiration when coming up with the number of players for each faction, I thought it was a well-balanced setup.

Special Mechanics:

The Godfather, Andrew Ryan – In this game, Andrew Ryan is NOT immune at night. He IS immune to sheriffs and investigators, but he is NOT immune to Detectives/Lookouts.

The Disguiser, Frank Fontaine – Originally I had Fontaine as a Godfather like Ryan, but I think this fits much better and, since the GF is nerfed anyway, I think it's balanced. This is not your typical Disguiser anyway: Fontaine may save his ability. If Fontaine has not used his ability and is lynched during the day, he may escape the lynch and disguise as someone else. The day does NOT end if this happens, and the Town is free to lynch someone else in the remaining time. Fontaine is NOT immune at night, is NOT immune to sheriffs/investigators, and NOT immune to Detectives/Lookouts.

Jack (Plane Crash Survivor) – Has the ability to kill at night. Ignores immunities. Jack is not aware of his role; the player will be told that they are a Citizen. Both Fontaine and Ryan will have their own code phrase. Whoever says their code phrase most during day chat will have the ability to control Jack at night, but cannot send another Mafia out to kill. Basically, controlling Jack gives the Mafia an unwitting puppet and proxy. Fontaine and Ryan should do their best to control Jack since neither of them are immune to Detectives/Lookouts/Bodyguards.

Yi Suchong (Drug Dealer) – Suchong has a one-use ability to create his own plasmid. This must be done at night. The custom plasmid essentially acts like a Gunsmith/Armoursmith; Suchong may give this plasmid to anyone he wishes, if it's appropriate. The plasmid will be created at the discretion of the host – Suchong will have to confer his wishes to the host and they will negotiate a fair plasmid. Examples of fair plasmid abilities: One-use kill, Armour save, Bus Drive, Witch ability, foolproof Investigation result on a specific player, frame target, blackmail. Creating plasmids like 'automatically kill the Sheriff' or 'all players silenced during the day' obviously won't be allowed. This should encourage creative thinking, strategic use of a standard FM ability you don't have access to normally is helpful, but Suchong coming up with some really cool outside-the-box plasmid is encouraged.

Little Sister – A completely neutral role, she wishes only to survive. The Little Sister almost acts like a Veteran, one person who visits her at night gets pulverized by a Big Daddy. If multiple people visit her at night, the killing is randomised, and one of the survivors gets to 'harvest' the Little Sister. The results of the harvest differ based on which faction the harvester belongs to, but harvesting will always be beneficial. If the Little Sister is lynched, then the Big Daddy will pulverize two of the lynchers at random, but the Town will then benefit from the harvest. Most importantly, the longer the Little Sister stays alive the more ADAM she collects, making the benefits from harvesting her all the more fruitful...

Notes:

I'm still working out a few things, and would appreciate feedback on balancing. I've got a few cool ideas for people like Sander Cohen (who I originally had as Cult Leader, but I think something special can be done for him...). I'm also working on a Tenenbaum role, can't decide whether she should be Town or Benign Neutral, and how she should be linked to saving Jack and the Little Sister. I like the idea of having Jack's objective be to see Andrew Ryan and Frank Fontaine dead, but that could be tricky for him unless there's some kind of way for him to be released from the mind control and discover who they are.

Basically, some things I have an idea I'm still fleshing out, and some things I have intentionally left blank so far so we can be flexible with balancing. Pretty sure I want someone able to heal on a Mafia side since neither leader is immune at night, and Jack can pierce through any healing :)

I'm aiming for this game to 'mostly' act like a normal game of Mafia, but with some fun twists. The amount of WIFOM in the battle for control of Jack between Fontaine and Ryan should be awesome, since the Mafia which doesn't control him at night has a distinct disadvantage. The Little Sister is the Risk vs. Reward element - people WILL die trying to harvest her, but the rewards will be worth it, and if she's still alive in the lategame she'll be a target despite not actually posing a threat to anyone (it may seem like a dull role to actually have, I might tweak some things, but I think it'll pose a good challenge to the player, and you know you're fairly well protected by your Big Daddy... hell, maybe the Big Daddy could end up being another player role?).

Originally I was going to have a 'Splicer' character, who was Town and had the same create-a-plasmid ability as Suchong. I may still put that in, I know a normal game of Mafia isn't helped by an unknown element like that because it upsets the logic puzzle, but the limited nature of it plus the WIFOM nature of FM should be interesting.

Deathfire123
December 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Hmmm, my thoughts: I like the custom roles. They are neat and they add a cool depth. The story premise is neat. I think the amount of town vs. everything else is accurate and workable. I'd like to see this one done almost as much as my own! (even if neither of us get to host them)

Ambient
December 5th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Luna how can I write a FM when you are publicly posting nearly the same thing ><

Luna
December 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Luna how can I write a FM when you are publicly posting nearly the same thing ><

Haha sorry. Do you have a co-host? I only ask because I was thinking of putting in some wicked cool things, like hacking games which even Citizens can partake in.

A BioShock themed FM deserves the best treatment, and will be a lot of work for one lone host...

And if you don't let me co-host I shall sue you for plagiarism! ^^

Ambient
December 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Haha sorry. Do you have a co-host? I only ask because I was thinking of putting in some wicked cool things, like hacking games which even Citizens can partake in.

A BioShock themed FM deserves the best treatment, and will be a lot of work for one lone host...

And if you don't let me co-host I shall sue you for plagiarism! ^^

Well I haven't received the go ahead yet. Since the list is long, but I will keep you updated.

TheWaaagh
December 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I really like this, especially the Ryan vs Fontaine "code war". That was some inspired thinking. I'm confused though by the harvest mechanic though, like could you give me some examples of what benefits you were thinking of?

Also, it's been a while since I played the first game, but wasn't Tenenbaum a doctor? You could always just make her a named doctor on the town side. Or depending on how you want to spin the narrative, she could be a doctor on Andrew Ryan's side.

Ambient
December 5th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Peoples allegiances were fuzzy. Especially depending on what part of the Timeline this is set to.

TheJackofSpades
December 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Well that's new, someone made the non-gf faction leader even more op than the gf.

Is it really so hard to balance the two?

Luna
December 5th, 2011, 12:39 PM
For the harvesting benefits, I think it's best to make them different for each faction. It has to be a good reward, since death is probable with the Big Daddy. If the Town have limited use abilities then the ADAM can maybe replenish them, provide armour for all Power Roles and/or Citizens for one night, give the Town two lynches for a certain amount of days... I think the benefit should remain hidden, and it will change the longer the game goes on. Adding KPN to the Mafia, framing all Town PR roles, I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to find more innovative things to do, like letting whichever side gets the ADAM the ability to access certain hacking minigames at night, letting them spend it on plasmids that give you access over security cameras and security bots - who knows.

Tenanbaum was indeed a Doctor, her biggest allegiance was actually to Fontaine who funded her research when she created ADAM and the Little Sisters. I just think there's an opportunity for her to be a possible neutral role, trying to save the Little Sister instead of harvesting her and helping Jack (since no one else is really looking out for those two xD).

I didn't think Fontaine was too OP. He's not protected at night, and he can be found by the many different investigators. His main defense is in evading the lynch by switching to a disguise - a one-shot ability to evade the lynch and take on a persona you trust. Pretty powerful stuff indeed, but yeah basically just a normal disguiser and at least Town doesn't waste the lynch :) Ryan can sit back and avoid the lynch, but unless he controls Jack he's pretty useless to the team. And remember, both of these Mafia leaders have the opportunity to be spotted by savvy players if they try and make a play for Jack. I'm open to just making Ryan and Fontaine exactly the same though.

TheWaaagh
December 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I just realized something. This would actually be the perfect game for Oops suggested role: Redactor. He could help whatever team he's on by going back and editing out the code words from previous posts when his team tries to control Jack. Or he could "frame" people by making it appear they used a code word.

I thought that might be interesting so I figured I'd throw it out there.

As for Tenenbaum, if you want her to be a neutral in charge of saving the little sister and Jack, why not make her similar to the Angel? Like she can investigate to try to find them, and then once she finds them she has a heal move.

McJesus
December 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
sounds pretty cool but do we need a cult?

Luna
December 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I might take the Cult out because there's so many cool Neutral roles I wouldn't mind trying out. That said, I love games with Cult in them. Atm the Saturnine cult is composed of Houdini Splicers, might be able to do something with them. A possible replacement for Cult might be in order, or a neutral/town role with an anti-cult slant (even though that's kinda what the Masons are). I quite like the Roman faction in our current FM, like a limited Cult with its own objectives. Maybe Sander Cohen is the perfect character to base that on...

Ambient
December 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I was thinking the of starting the timeline at New Years 1958. Right as everything was starting to go down, but all the citizens were not batshit crazy.

Luna
December 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
That's kind of the general theme I was going for, where the power struggle had just escalated to Civil War and people began arming themselves by splicing. The Bathyspheres get locked down in 1959 as the Civil War takes place, and Jack's flight crashes near the beginning of 1960.

Despite the fact that most of the populace has gone a bit batshit crazy by 1960, there's still a fair few normal people about, many of whom are helping Atlas because they want to escape.

You and I think alike, I would very much like to co-host this with you if possible

Ambient
December 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Well.. its still going to be awhile. I am also hoping to co-host with someone before fully taking the reigns anyway. I would make a few changes to your role list, but if I get the go ahead in the future I do not see a problem with co-hosting with you. However, I am not the one that makes those decisions.

Guardian
December 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM
maybe, for this game...
give citizens the power to visit with no "action"?
i think you should make jack's codeword change every 2-3 nights

Luna
December 8th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I support roles like the Jester getting to visit people at night, but Citizens... I think that's very anti-Town. You might be able to masquerade as a power role and be a better meatshield, but Mafia don't have detectives or lookouts. The only people that can see your moving about is Town, and it could make you a lynch target. It can also give Mafia an easy out "Oh no I didn't frame him I was just a Citizen...". Citizens would also be at risk from Veterans, Spree Killers and the like.

What I WOULD do in this game is give Citizens something to do at night to benefit Town. Some kind of hacking or plasmid-hunting mini-game... which might activate a security camera or turret. Maybe have all the citizens fight over a Big Daddy suit in an effort to become a Bodyguard power role.

Jack's codephrase will be set at night by each Mafia leader. I might change it but I think I'll let them choose new ones each night. The fun part will be that each leader doesn't know the other codeword, so will not know if they're likely to have control of Jack or not.

Guardian
December 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM
the idea for citizens to visit is for little sister.....
and what is Jack's objective?

McJesus
June 26th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/krevster/warforrapture-2.jpg

FrostByte
June 26th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'm just gonna leave this here...

BIGASSPICTURE
lolwut