PDA

View Full Version : Mafia Role Idea Conglomerate

oops_ur_dead
April 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'll post a bunch of role ideas. If you have any to add, reply and I'll add it to the list if it isn't stupid.

Town

King

The king will receive a one-use bulletproof vest. When there's a king in the game, there are no lynch votes in the day cycle, only discussion. At the end of the cycle, the king will decide who to lynch. The king holds the one and only vote for lynching. If the people are dissatisfied with the king, they can vote to stage a coup during the day cycle. If a majority vote on this is reached, then the king will be put on trial/lynched, and no other person will be lynched on that day. The next day cycle after a coup, the citizens will vote on a new king. The first king to be chosen is guaranteed to be innocent, but elected kings may or may not be mafia!

Hunter

The hunter receives a single-use bear trap that he can lay down during any night cycle. If somebody visits the Hunter at any night after the trap is laid, then they will be trapped. The next day cycle, the trapped player is publicly revealed as trapped, but their purpose for visiting the trapper is not revealed. The trapper then becomes a normal townie.

Spy

Every night cycle, the spy is able to view the mafia chat. No names or other identifying features are shown, only the raw text.

Forensics Investigator

Every night cycle, the forensics investigator is able to investigate a body. The investigator will get a complete list of the roles, but not names, of who the person was visited by, and the names of everyone that the person visited.

Cursed Townie

The night after the Cursed Townie is killed, he will be able to appear to a single player and speak to them for the duration of the night.

Operator

Every time someone sends a private message, the Operator will be informed who sent the message, and who received it.

Wiretapper

Every night, the Wiretapper selects a target to wiretap. The following day and night, all private messages sent and received by the target will be revealed to the Wiretapper.

Priest

The priest can either condemn or bless a player. When a player is condemned, they will require one less vote to be lynched/put on trial. When a player is blessed, they require one more vote to be lynched/put on trial. Whether or not the player and/or the town are notified to a player's cursing/blessing is left up to the host.

Friendly Neighbour

Every night, the Friendly Neighbour can visit another player's house. That player will be informed of the Friendly Neighbour's innocence.

Naive/Paranoid/Crazy/Inexperienced Cop

These "special" cops are not told of their true role, only that they are cops. Naive cops will get an innocent result on every player investigated. Paranoid cops get a guilty result on every player. Crazy cops will get opposite results on the player's role. Inexperienced cops will get completely random results.

Mafia

Thug

The thug doesn't participate in the mafia night chat, and does not know the identities of the other mafia. After the other mafia have decided on a target, the thug will carry out the kill. This means that any roleblocking, tracking, or other such actions will specifically affect the thug. If there are multiple thugs, a random one is chosen as the killer. There will also be the toggleable option of the mafia not being able to carry out any kills if all thugs are dead.

Usurper

The Usurper acts as if a normal mafia, but with an extra role. The Usurper has to try to get the Godfather lynched. If the Godfather is lynched, then the Usurper will become the new Godfather. If the Godfather survives to the end, the Usurper loses, even if the mafia win.

Frame Artist

At night, you can frame one person. That person will then give a "guilty" result on any investigations done on them.

Forger

Every night, the Forger can set the last will of another player.

Neutral

Jester

The jester is trying to get lynched. If he is lynched, then he can choose a person to take with him.

Arsonist

Every night, the Arsonist douses a target in gasoline. During any day cycle, the Arsonist can anonymously light a fire, killing all the people he doused.

Other

Werewolves

The werewolves are a second "faction" of mafia. The analogue of the godfather is the alpha werewolf. Werewolves have the same goals as Mafia. There are also two new roles, Seers, which act as Cops, and Angels, acting like doctors. Angels will protect people from Werewolves, but NOT from Mafia, and the Doctor will NOT protect from Werewolves. Likewise, Seers only detect Werewolves as guilty, and Cops only detect Mafia as guilty.

Faceless
April 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I really like Forensics guy, Jester, and Arsonist. However, Arsonist is ridiculously imba if he can douse one person each night and light them all up like a fireworks show. Maybe if he just douses one person and has the option of killing that person at any point in the day, but can only have 1 person doused at a time. Maybe have a max of 3 kills per game or an option like that.

Jester seems like a ridiculously fun in a stupid way. Maybe have one of those instead of a serial killer once in a while just for fun.

Forensics seems great but would need a different name because that current one sounds kinda lame.

oops_ur_dead
April 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I don't really see how arsonist is imba. Functionally, he's the same as a serial killer. I see where you're coming from, though. Maybe people are only doused for two day cycles, after which the effect ends?

Eldrazor
April 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Arsonist isn't imba if he replaces serial killer, and I think you don't have enough people for a second party of evildoers.

Faceless
April 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Idk, the idea of every dude in town spontaneously lighting up in a gigantic bonfire seems scary to me.

Eldrazor
April 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
It seems fun to me. The arsonist threatening to kill several people in trial? seems like something new to me. He should indeed have a limit on how many people he can douse, otherwise it wouldn't matter whether they kill him or not.

Faceless
April 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM
You have a point. Maybe just give it a max of 3 people doused at ANY ONE TIME, with hosting options available for tweaking.

Oh, and give it the firebat voice when you discover your role, kind of like how investigator is a ghost. And call it the Pyromaniac.

oops_ur_dead
April 16th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Arsonist isn't imba if he replaces serial killer, and I think you don't have enough people for a second party of evildoers.

Werewolves vs Mafia vs Town can successfully be played with 11 players. Two mafia, two werewolves, seer, angel, cop, doctor, and 3 townies

Trenix
April 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Really dislike the whole unrealistic part of this.

Nameless
April 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
King would become terribly imba once parties started playing the game more. One bad King ruins the game more for people than bad Vigis.
Hunter seems good, but once you trap someone, you become a citizen, should make his one time trap attempt more useful.
Spy would become useless once people in the MAFIA knew there was a spy. They would use aliases of opposite people purposefully in chat.
Forensics seems like it could be an addition, but too much detection can be bad (maybe a 1 Sher/1 Inv/1 For build) thing.

Thug seems like a lesser version of Mafioso, generally we already those in game, maybe an option to make mafioso's invisible from the Mafia?
Usurper seems like a survivor, an otherwise useless player (IMO).
Frame Artist could be fun if he was limited to one or two frames. Would be OP to frame someone every night.

Jester seems fun, but by take someone with him, you mean take someone with him in his death sentence? If so, that kind of defeats the purpose of lynching him, no?
Arsonist needs a 2 douse limit and the fire must be used before he is found out IMO. Would be a nice break from the SK. (Would it tell you when you got doused?)

Werewolves, no TY.

oops_ur_dead
April 16th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Spy would become useless once people in the MAFIA knew there was a spy. They would use aliases of opposite people purposefully in chat.

That's kind of the point. But there are more advantages to viewing the mafia chat than just finding out their names. You can find out what strategy they are using, and what their plans are.

Forensics seems like it could be an addition, but too much detection can be bad (maybe a 1 Sher/1 Inv/1 For build) thing.
Huh?

Thug seems like a lesser version of Mafioso, generally we already those in game, maybe an option to make mafioso's invisible from the Mafia?

Thugs are distinctly different from Mafioso. Mafioso can discuss and know who's in the mafia, and vote to decide who to kill. Thugs don't.

Usurper plays differently from the survivor. The Survivor does nothing but survive. The Usurper has to actively try to get the Godfather killed.

Frame Artist could be fun if he was limited to one or two frames. Would be OP to frame someone every night.

He only frames people for one night.

Jester seems fun, but by take someone with him, you mean take someone with him in his death sentence? If so, that kind of defeats the purpose of lynching him, no?

I mean that he kills someone right after he's sentenced.

Arsonist needs a 2 douse limit and the fire must be used before he is found out IMO. Would be a nice break from the SK. (Would it tell you when you got doused?)

Telling you whether you got doused could be an option that the host can change.

Werewolves, no TY.

Why not?

Eldrazor
April 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
King would become terribly imba once parties started playing the game more. One bad King ruins the game more for people than bad Vigis.

Yea I agree, it's an interesting role that should not be included in the random circulation, but still should be an interesting addition.

Hunter seems good, but once you trap someone, you become a citizen, should make his one time trap attempt more useful.

He's got about the same power as a civilian. Can protect himself one night, and reveals whoever came to visit him. That means sheriffs, but also mafioso.

That is exactly why he'd be an interesting addition, in my opinion.

At the moment I think he's a bit too complicated. Showing what roles visited him and the names of those who he visited? I say it just reveals all the names this person got in touch with since 2-3 nights. If used on a corpse, it will reveal whatever he got in touch with 2-3 nights before he died and everyone who visited afterwards (if those kind of roles are added (necrophile?)). OK maybe remove the corpse part or make the corpse part the only part otherwise he's too complicated.

It's basically a small layer of complications. If you make him a member of the mafia but unable to vote or send people to kill, even if everyone else is dead, he'd be quite an interesting addition, imo.

The survivor's goal is to survive, he basically doesn't count for the win/lose count. The usurper is completely different, he is basically evil towards his own kind AND against the townsfolk, I think he'll be a great addition. He might constantly try to get the godfather killed. If he is added we need to give godfather the ability to target his own men.

Then it's OP to block someone each night as well. Or OP to see what someone is every night.
It's not actually revealed to everyone, so the chance of the frame being successful is quite high. It'll be another layer of mystery and uncertainty towards the in my opinion slightly overpowered i-see-what-your-role-is roles. Right now if they get 1 guess right and have a doctor on their side, they get really hard to kill. This could make it quite interesting :)
I would like to have it so that the frame artist could also make his mafioso brothers look innocent. This ability does feel like it needs a limit, or you could make it an optional setting.

He wants to get killed. People need a reason to not kill him, so here it is. I'd say give him the same goal as a survivor, just a bit more powerful during the day, and less powerful during the night (no bulletproof vests). He should not be able to take people with him during the night.

Why? He's can 'kill' the same amount of people each night. If you mean a 2 douse limit at all time (after he has burned them he can douse 2 more) then I agree with you. If you mean a 2 douse limit total (can douse 2 then never again) I think it's be a nice optional setting where the host can set this kind of stuff.

Werewolves, no TY.

I agree. Sometime far down the road when all the more interesting roles than a 2nd evil faction have already been put in the game. I wouldn't mind it then.

Omg oops you were faster. I spent so much time typing this :/

Nameless
April 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I can see your guys points, I just feel like a Spy would become useless. Mafia would outsmart him every time, and once he opened his mouth he would be dead. Just my take on it though.

Usuper I read wrong. I missed the "If mafia wins he loses" part.

Forensics, IDK, Just another form of detection, Consigliere, Inspector, and Sheriffs are enough IMO.

Arsonist I meant 2 doused at a time. If by chance he gets 4 people doused, and its day 5, game over. I say a 2 douse (active) at a time.

Werewolves would be an unneccesary evil. Unless it was an option to play vs Werewolves instead of Mafia. Both would be irritating IMO. Town would lose more than they already do.

oops_ur_dead
April 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Arsonist I meant 2 doused at a time. If by chance he gets 4 people doused, and its day 5, game over. I say a 2 douse (active) at a time.

That just makes it possible for the Arsonist to win. Right now, it's nearly impossible for the serial killer to win. This will give the arsonist a chance to win, and will transform him into a force to be reckoned with, rather than just an annoyance.

Faceless
April 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Forensics isn't just another way of detection, if I read it right then it's a way of knowing if people are telling the truth and could be used a lot of different ways.

Arsonist seriously sounds RIDICULOUSLY fun and I'd like to see it added with proper balancing. Jester too.

As for werewolves, I have nothing against it being optional but I would personally never use it.

oops_ur_dead
April 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Added Cursed Townie.

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
April 17th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Arsonist

Every night, the Arsonist douses a target in gasoline. During any day cycle, the Arsonist can anonymously light a fire, killing all the people he doused.

Best Oops post ever; so retarded you must add it.

oops_ur_dead
April 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Added a few roles.

RSO
April 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Another for the list:

Conduit (Town) - The Conduit can speak to dead people, but only during the time when night groups can talk.
Option: Hide dead people's names - Each ghost will be assigned a short random name for the Conduit ("Wispy Spirit," "Howling Ghost," etc), so that while the conduit can tell one ghost's messages from another, but not who the ghosts were in life. Ghosts can still see the real names.

Faceless
April 18th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I actually think RSO's idea is cool.

Eldrazor
April 18th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Yes, as long as dead people don't go trollin'
It would be epic for dead mafia to use it to their advantage though.
"I'm the dead sheriff! I saw X was mafia!"
Next day, X dies, day after that, conduit dies. :)

Deolrin
April 19th, 2011, 04:38 AM
RSO's idea is AWESOME.

oops_ur_dead
April 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I think it's a bit imbalanced to be able to talk to ALL the dead people. Maybe one every night?

Eldrazor
April 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Why would it be imbalanced to talk to all the dead people? There's no way the conduit knows who is who, and having him talk to one at a time would only be more overpowered, as he could ask the sheriff who he investigated that night, and what the results were. If he talks to everyone at the same time, others can claim to be the sheriff, and make the results unreliable.

Membrax
April 20th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Another for the list:

Conduit (Town) - The Conduit can speak to dead people, but only during the time when night groups can talk.

I agree this is a very cool idea 8) as long as it remains anonymous (like Spy).
Plus it would gives dead people an incentive to stay in the game so they can hopefully help their cause.

Faceless
April 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I usually still lie to people even when I'm dead. Especially when I'm mafia, so this (Conduit) would be a fun feature to have and wouldn't hurt me at all.

Eldrazor
April 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I usually still lie to people even when I'm dead. Especially when I'm mafia, so this (Conduit) would be a fun feature to have and wouldn't hurt me at all.
Egoist much? :P

Clawtrocity
April 22nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Really loving the Arsonist and Conduit idea, but I don't like the name of the Conduit...I dunno names are just a cosmetic anyway.

Arsonist would be awesome because it'd be like a risk. 1 person a night and can set them on fire at any time during the day. No limit, but as soon as they find him guilty he can't use the fire anymore. So he has to choose whether to use it or lose it kind of like a vigilante's bullets.

Deolrin
April 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Medium would be a cooler name.

Eldrazor
April 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Medium and Conduit both sound pretteh kewl :D

oops_ur_dead
April 23rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Added Forger.

Imperfect
April 26th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I like the idea of Forger. Could really screw over townies if he has investigator or sheriff give a fake last will. Usurper could also be neat but how would his role be disguised from other Mafia? They would try to get rid of him.