PDA

View Full Version : Being killed in the first night

Slyforce
May 28th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I played a doctor last game and I got killed in the first night. I healed the guy that killed me (I found that out later).
Why can doctors be killed in the 1st night? Then town automatically loses, because the doctor is the most important role in the game! (In addition to the sheriff)

I find it stupid aswell that investigators still are in the game. An investigator is just a bad sheriff, since he can't know for sure whether or not the target is a killer.

Doc
May 28th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I totally agree with your points. Randomly dying in the first night is what made me quit playing mafia.
While investigator is seriously underpowered and the most ridiculous role (worse than single mason) because he can ruin the game for town.
By the way, Consigliere is the most overpowered role in the game. It's essentially an investigator for the mafia that can quickly find out all the town roles which ruins the game! Please DR change consigliere so that he can only find out if the role is town or not

Slyforce
May 28th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I totally agree with your opinions, but I think that consigliere should be able to detect whether or not the target is a sheriff, so that the mafia can quickly dispose of him.
It's unfair that town can detect the godfather, but the mafia can't detect their sheriff(s)!

Doc
May 28th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I totally agree with your opinions, but I think that consigliere should be able to detect whether or not the target is a sheriff, so that the mafia can quickly dispose of him.
It's unfair that town can detect the godfather, but the mafia can't detect their sheriff(s)!

The town can't detect the godfather. Mafia is just too OP. A single godfather can easily handle the whole town. This breaks the game for me. Unless the GF is a troll, mafia almost always wins with night immunity and detection immunity.
Suggested changes:
-Change name of Consig to Pistonazzio (means "sniffer" in italian). Change power to detect if sheriff or not sheriff. Can inves fellow mafia members to see if one of them is disguised sheriff (happened to me more than once)

Slyforce
May 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Are you mad!? Mafia members can't be disguised as sheriffs! How long have you been playing this game?
Why change that awesome name? It's so cool! I love seeing the name "CONSIGLIERE" pop up in my screen, as the game begins. I get so happy I yell "YES!". Love that role and love that name, even though I think it needs improvements.

Sheriffs need to be able to kill vigilantes, that shoot someone in the first night. They are the law enforcers and should punish those who abuse their powers!

Doc
May 28th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Are you mad!? Mafia members can't be disguised as sheriffs! How long have you been playing this game?
Why change that awesome name? It's so cool! I love seeing the name "CONSIGLIERE" pop up in my screen, as the game begins. I get so happy I yell "YES!". Love that role and love that name, even though I think it needs improvements.

Sheriffs need to be able to kill vigilantes, that shoot someone in the first night. They are the law enforcers and should punish those who abuse their powers!

Well you obviously haven't played Mafia long enough to notice that sometimes mafiosi and consigs act as sheriffs for town (because they can detect role) and backstab the mafia as trolls. You should be able to kill them. So don't come at me with insults when you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.
About your sheriff idea I must say that it's even more retarded than you, as difficult as that may seem. How could the sheriff know who is the vigilante? I'm all for sheriff knowing all who are town in a list from the start of the game but some people think that's too OP. It's not OP at all because many people can fake being sheriff and giving away mafia.

TheJackofSpades
May 28th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I played a doctor last game and I got killed in the first night. I healed the guy that killed me (I found that out later).
Why can doctors be killed in the 1st night? Then town automatically loses, because the doctor is the most important role in the game! (In addition to the sheriff)

I find it stupid aswell that investigators still are in the game. An investigator is just a bad sheriff, since he can't know for sure whether or not the target is a killer.

This is just apart of the game and the way things are. It's the same thing as non-immune gfs being killed by SK first round.

And you severely underestimate the investigator. The investigator and the sheriff are rather sub-par on their own, but with their information working in tandem the town is unbelievably powerful. Sheriff can only determine whether or not a target is suspicious. Investigator gives you hard information on your target which allows you to uncover lies about their role and give you a better picture over the flow of the game.

wightsnow
May 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Depending on the settings, Investigator is far more useful than sheriff.

Lysergic
May 28th, 2011, 10:49 PM

Someone has to die night 1. All roles are equally important, and there are usually multiple doctors. Also, Town doesn't auto-lose if a Doctor dies; they just have to find Mafia faster to compensate. If Doctors were immune night 1, Town would be hugely overpowered. It would also make it really obvious to Mafia who the Doctors were, and they could simply roleblock you the rest of the game with Consort while killing off the town. That would be FAR more annoying.

As for investigators, they are far more powerful than Sheriffs. Depending on settings, Sheriffs can identify:
Mafia
Serial Killer
Arsonist

With most setups, the Sheriff cannot detect:
Godfather (immune to detection)
Framer (with upcoming patch 1.55 - Framer will be immune like GF)
Witch
Arsonists (most setups I play have Arsonist detect off to avoid OP Sheriff)

For those roles, you NEED an Investigator. Also, a Sheriff cannot detect a specific role. So if a Jester reveals himself as a Spy and tells the Town to lynch a Doctor, an Investigator can check that person and figure out that he is not a Spy, and thus probably a Jester or lying Mafia. Sheriff would detect him, see "not suspicious", and probably be forced to trust him (and end up lynching a Doctor).

People complain a lot about specific roles, without realizing that every role in this game has a specific purpose. Many roles have MULTIPLE play styles to accommodate them.

And yes, a shitty Investigator can fuck over the town. So can a shitty Sheriff. So can a shitty Doctor. So can a shitty Vigilante (ever had a Vigilante use his two shots to kill the town's Doctor and Sheriff on the first two nights? Happens a LOT in public games). ANY TOWN ROLE played poorly can destroy the Town, just like ANY TOWN ROLE played well can almost assure victory. It's all about player skill.

thisismyname
May 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
About your sheriff idea I must say that it's even more retarded than you, as difficult as that may seem. How could the sheriff know who is the vigilante? I'm all for sheriff knowing all who are town in a list from the start of the game but some people think that's too OP. It's not OP at all because many people can fake being sheriff and giving away mafia.

LMAO at this suggestion....

Day 1: Sheriff: Guys, I'm Sheriff and I know Player 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are townies. Let's lynch the rest!

Game Over

Lysergic
May 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM

LMAO at this suggestion....

Day 1: Sheriff: Guys, I'm Sheriff and I know Player 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are townies. Let's lynch the rest!

Game Over

Yeah, I assumed that had to be sarcasm... xD

mrzwach
May 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM
If the doctor can't be killed first night, the mafia will just try again the next night.

Clearly the solution is to make the doctor just immune to nightkillings altogether.

They are vigilantes, they are breaking the law anyways to shoot someone ever.

I'm pretty damn sure if the sheriff could just execute whoever kills people at night they wouldn't have a problem with the mafia in the first place.

wightsnow
May 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
If the doctor can't be killed first night, the mafia will just try again the next night.

Clearly the solution is to make the doctor just immune to nightkillings altogether.

Most overpowered suggestion I have ever heard.

mrzwach
May 29th, 2011, 07:52 PM
it was sarcasm.

:C

MrSmarter
May 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Dieing is part of the game. The mafia, all serial killers, and sometimes a dumbass vigilantes that random kills will all likely kill the first night. One trick To helping you die slightly less on the first night is to not have a name that makes you obvious. I use LiquidTLO and that gets me killed a lot. It also gets me healed some too, but killed more than often.
Investigators are part of the game as well. They can help tell who is lieing sometimes. For ex. If a SK claims to be a bus driver ( very stupid btw, don't try it ) and is investigated, the invest. will know he is lieing. They also add an element of random to the game.

Logante
June 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM

Dieing is part of the game. The mafia, all serial killers, and sometimes a dumbass vigilantes that random kills will all likely kill the first night. One trick To helping you die slightly less on the first night is to not have a name that makes you obvious. I use LiquidTLO and that gets me killed a lot. It also gets me healed some too, but killed more than often.
Investigators are part of the game as well. They can help tell who is lieing sometimes. For ex. If a SK claims to be a bus driver ( very stupid btw, don't try it ) and is investigated, the invest. will know he is lieing. They also add an element of random to the game.

Dying, lying.

MrSmarter
June 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM

Dying, lying.

I suck at spelling.

Deolrin
June 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
You were killed by the Mafia!
You were killed by a Serial Killer!
You were killed by an Arsonist!
You were killed by a Vigilante!
An attractive person approached you and occupied your night, you were Role-Blocked!
You were hit by the Mafia!
You were murdered by a Serial Killer!
You were incinerated by an Arsonist!
You were taken out by a Vigilante!
And attractive person approached you and occupied your night. You were role-blocked!