PDA

View Full Version : David's Lateral Thinking Puzzle

David
December 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
This is NOT a puzzle that has a random answer in the sense that it takes loads of "no"s and "yes"' to get to it. It is actually possible to get the answer just by thinking logically. This puzzle was in an exam a few years ago (like 8th grade)!

"

Bobby and Timmy are twins that weigh the same. They are standing on two planks that have the exact same distance from the ground, where there's a swimming pool. Both jump at the same time, but Bobby hits the water considerably sooner than Timmy. How is this possible?

"

Now that I think of it, it's actually pretty easy... Tip: 8th grade!

Nike2000
December 3rd, 2011, 06:06 AM
Bobby has a bigger height than Timmy.

David
December 3rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
Bobby has a bigger height than Timmy.

Irrelevant/No. How would having a bigger height make him hit the water faster?

Yayap
December 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Timmy jumped high and Bobby dove.

Luna
December 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Does Bobby have a considerably larger penis than Timmy?

If so then give me his number and post pics.

Luna
December 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, was I supposed to be answering some kind of puzzle? ^^

wolfcheese
December 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hmm was Timmy's plank not above the pool but Bobby's was?

Ash
December 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Does Bobby have a considerably larger penis than Timmy?

If so then give me his number and post pics.

wat does penis size have 2 do with going in the pool faster?

r u saying that the heavier the penis the faster u drop to the pool?
very clever

Raptorblaze
December 3rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
Probably the entirely wrong way to think about this, they can be the same real distance but different positions. a higher board takes longer to hit the surface than a lower board thats horizontally farther away.

David
December 4th, 2011, 03:18 AM
No to all above; They both are on boards that are the same height (eg. 5m). Their penises are both very small (but that's irrelevant).

To Raptorblaze: The distance is measured vertically here

Guardian
December 4th, 2011, 03:52 AM
my guess:Bobby's plank was really fragile, and when he "jumped" it ..broke, and sent him into the water.
Timmy's plank was unusually high quality, and sent him way higher into the air than he expected.

OR:bobby jumped and landed on his plank, jumped and landed on his plank,jumped...............
......(eventually) ........jumped.......and fell into the water.(after 6 jumps i guess?)

David
December 4th, 2011, 03:54 AM
my guess:Bobby's plank was really fragile, and when he "jumped" it ..broke, and sent him into the water.
Timmy's plank was unusually high quality, and sent him way higher into the air than he expected.

OR:bobby jumped and landed on his plank, jumped and landed on his plank,jumped...............
......(eventually) ........jumped.......and fell into the water.

No, both planks are the same and both of them jumped the exact same way, they are the exact same distance vertically from the ground.

I see you need a tip: This was in a school exam in the 8th grade, so this doesn't have a random answer. If I told you the subject you'd probably guess it right away...

Yayap
December 4th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Do they both jump into the water? or does one jump off the other end of the plank onto the ground?

wolfcheese
December 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm trying to figure out where the 8th grade thing comes in...the main classes I took in 8th grade were world history, earth science, algebra 1 and english. I also took home economics, gym (never had a swimming pool in any of my schools) and engineering...is it related to any of those? lol

Are both planks directly above the pool?

EDIT: You said they jump the same way...but do they hit the water at the same angle?

oops_ur_dead
December 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
They were on a boat/cruise ship/whatever with a swimming pool. Bobby jumped into the swimming pool, while Timmy jumped into the body of water the ship was in.

Apocist
December 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Ummm...it says they on the same distance away from the 'GROUND', so where does the pool come into play?

is the plank tilted at a 45 degree slope where one end(the one raised) is hovering over dry ground while the other end(down low) is over top the pool? if angled right, BOTH booby and timmy would be equally away from the dry GROUND. So they jump at the same time, but bobby is right over the water...so he falls in first.

hieght and weight of people should have no play

Raptorblaze
December 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Fine I'll use the wildcard. Many-worlds theory of quantum physics.

TheWaaagh
December 5th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Did Timmy have a parachute?

David
December 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Again, I stress that this isn't a "he jumped 6 times" puzzle or even a "his plank broke" or " he jumped in another way" one. They are both at the same vertical distance from a swimming pool, or you can even make it a trampoline or anything (i chose swimming pool so you don't assume they die). The solution has absolutely nothing to do with the way they jump, but the circumstances do. I will now give you the bigges tip ever:

Physics.

David
December 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM
So basically no to everyone up there...

wolfcheese
December 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Is one of them jumping off a plank on Earth, and another one is jumping off a plank on a space station, or some other planet? 0.o

Luna
December 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
The fact that the weight is mentioned makes me think that too, it sounds like something a teacher would make up to reinforce the lesson of weight/mass/gravity/etc.

How old are people in 8th grade? Cos we learn that shizznit pretty early over here in Europe

Ash
December 5th, 2011, 05:02 PM
The fact that the weight is mentioned makes me think that too, it sounds like something a teacher would make up to reinforce the lesson of weight/mass/gravity/etc.

How old are people in 8th grade? Cos we learn that shizznit pretty early over here in Europe

Raptorblaze
December 5th, 2011, 09:24 PM
They're the same distance from the ground, but the ground where? Bobby is on a planet with more gravity than wherever Timmy is?

David
December 8th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Is one of them jumping off a plank on Earth, and another one is jumping off a plank on a space station, or some other planet? 0.o

You got the answer! It's on the Moon and Earth!
We were doing gravity back in 8th grade and learned that, so our teacher included this little question in the exam!

Ash
December 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Bobby and Timmy are twins that weigh the same.

Ok if one is in the Moon and one is in the Earth, wouldn't the weight be DIFFERENT?
sorry for being a smartass

wolfcheese
December 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Yay I win! :>

Ash is right, it should say their mass is the same, not their weight. But that probably would've made the answer more obvious.

oops_ur_dead
December 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Ok if one is in the Moon and one is in the Earth, wouldn't the weight be DIFFERENT?
sorry for being a smartass
This is true. Weight is based on gravity (mass*acceleration). Mass is constant.

Yayap
December 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
where there's a swimming pool.

Mind explaining why there is a swimming pool on the moon? This is why I didn't give that answer.

Dust
December 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Mind explaining why there is a swimming pool on the moon? This is why I didn't give that answer.
http://troll.me/images/ancient-aliens-guy/aliens.jpg

Luna
December 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
http://troll.me/images/ancient-aliens-guy/aliens.jpg

+1 rep xD