PDA

View Full Version : Next Roles Poll

Pages : [1] 2

Dark.Revenant
April 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'd like to get your opinions on this. I can't do every feature and some features take a lot more time than others. I'd like you to vote on which TWO things I should do first.

Update 4: Pending roles removed from the list.

oops_ur_dead
April 15th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Custom role support.

Dark.Revenant
April 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Custom role support.

impossible

oops_ur_dead
April 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Too bad.

Shepard
April 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I think the game is fine as-is to be honest. Maybe some additional roles would be cool, but unnecessary.

Cut-scenes would be awesome though 8)

Trenix
April 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I think the game is fine as-is to be honest.

??? Why do people not like updates? I've realized this has been some kind of tend in various of games. Personally, I wouldn't mind any of these improvements.

McJesus
April 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
voted for event log and more roles. would be cool to see more executions too however it isn't important to the actual game.

Eldrazor
April 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM
What's so hard about putting in new terrain? Unless you're going to completely revamp every region and point...

Anyways, I can see the terrain improve a bit, it's a bit bland now. Also, lighting is underused. I love the day/night cycle actually visible on the ground, though.

Faceless
April 15th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I voted for more roles and more executions.

Roles, in my opinion, are the structure of the game. Different roles can make for many different ways of playing the game.

Executions are just FUN and that's what games are about, FUN. It's also really funny when someone has a funny name and they get an execution that would suit them.

For instance, I played with someone named "Rebecca Black" and when put on trial, they started singing Friday. They got to "WHICH SEAT DO I TAAAAAKE?" and then got the electric chair execution. Pure comedy gold (in my opinion).

Omgproberush
April 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Voted for points reward system/ranks because it'd be a good way to show how much one has played, and maybe a way to bring shame upon those who quit a lot.
Also voted for executions, because they're fun.

Terrain is fine, more roles would be nice but right now there's a solid amount (same with variants), event log is OK but not necessary IMO (plus it can help a mafia meld in better if people forget how he voted), night action cutscenes not a big deal.

Shepard
April 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I think the game is fine as-is to be honest.

??? Why do people not like updates? I've realized this has been some kind of tend in various of games. Personally, I wouldn't mind any of these improvements.

I don't mind updates.

What I do mind is adding new things for the sake of adding new things.

Dark.Revenant
April 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Poll reset/modified to reflect my changes to the map.

Eldrazor
April 16th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Going with the variant save slot and more roles.
Variant save slot because I can see setting up very specific variants with individual rules of individual classes take up quite some time to set up at the start of the game.
And more roles are always welcome, in my opinion.
As tertiary I'd pick more score systems and stuff, achievements, things like that. I just like that kind of stuff :P

oops_ur_dead
April 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Once again, custom role support.
Also, I can model.

Faceless
April 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I voted for the Variant Save slot and more roles.

As I mentioned before, I think roles are the structure of the game and open up great potential when implemented correctly.

Variant Save slot thing would just be amazing. I could tweak everything I need to be 100% perfect without pissing off a whole lobby of people and getting repicked before I can make things fun.

By the way, DR. This poll is an extremely good idea and I encourage you to continue using this as a method of gathering feedback.

Trenix
April 16th, 2011, 01:04 PM
By the way, DR. This poll is an extremely good idea and I encourage you to continue using this as a method of gathering feedback.

Agreed.

Dark.Revenant
April 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM
New poll. I'm no longer in control of Mafia. Control belongs to the masses now.

oops_ur_dead
April 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Custom Role Support.

Talelorm
April 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM
your newest update has cause people to get there points reset

Dark.Revenant
April 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM
The fuck? That's a bug on Blizzard's end then. I'll see what I can do.

Omgproberush
April 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Out of the 4, new executions I guess, but none of them IMO are really a big deal. The game's in good shape right now.

Dark.Revenant
April 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM
This current rendition of the poll is more of a statement of how I get some pretty unrealistic demands often than an actual statistic-gathering tool. My main priority will be adding roles in the coming updates, but these four items ARE my most-asked-for features behind new roles.

Faceless
April 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM
When you say "Better UI" what does that mean? Would it be repositioning or something?

Faceless
April 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I voted for more executions.

I feel like the "night action cutscene" just isn't worth the effort if it's really difficult to implement. Your time would likely be better spent elsewhere. That being said, I would explore other options.

Dark.Revenant
April 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
New poll: Vote for your favorite roles!

Faceless
April 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I voted for Arsonist, Witch, Jester, and Watcher.

Watcher sounds like an awesome role, and Arsonist, Witch, Jester all sound like they would add insanely good diversity to the game.

Just a question though, would Jester be able to kill someone when he's lynched? Take them down with him?

ev1hmr
April 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I voted for the miller and the janitor. I think the rest of the roles undermine too much of the game mechanic at some point.

TL;DR rationalization inc:

Hunter - Changed my mind, he's cool.

Spy - Undermines mafia completely. It's a neat idea, but in most games odds are stacked numerically against the mafia anyway, and for the mafia to be unable to conspire destroys their ability to manipulate the game effectively.

Forensics - After Day 1, when 2-3 people are dead, especially if the vigilante didn't kill someone, he has a very high chance of detecting a mafioso or serial killer. Way too powerful.

Usurper - Mafia will get him killed immediately. Makes no sense to keep him around since he will inevitably rat out the GF anyway.

Miller - Good idea. Makes the town question each other more, which makes games more intense.

Framer - Balance-wise he's probably okay. My objection is mostly personal preference so I'll leave it out.

Jester - Every single trial, "I'm jester, don't lynch me or you lose!" It would get old.

Arsonist - If he makes it to Day 3, where there are 5-6 people left alive at most, and the arsonist has just 3 of them doused, he pretty much automatically wins. It's imbalanced as it's described.

Witch - Not really in the Mafia theme, but a decent idea as a neutral. I'd suggest a rename, and perhaps have the Person A be told who their target switched to. I'm the doctor, and all of a sudden I'm healing Joe instead of Chuck. Does that mean Joe is the witch and wants me to protect her? Or is the witch just trying to make me think that?

Terrorist - As a neutral, I don't see how he wins. Seems just like a troll character to me.

Bus Driver - I don't understand the mechanic as it's described.

Tracker, Watcher - Changed my mind, but they certainly alter the current metagame.

Surgeon - Makes the mafia a little too powerful. With only 3 mafia members, which seems to be standard, a heal reduces the number of available targets by one. So there are effectively two mafia that can be killed at night but they get 3 votes. Instead I would suggest an Infiltrator, a character that can alter a vote during trials, or maybe his vote counts for two. In the end it's pretty much the same in the end, but fixing trials I think is a much more interesting mechanic.

Hitman - Undermines Hunter, Surgeon, Citizen, Survivor, maybe SK depending on how you interpret it (if immunity means immunity from role blockers as well as assassination). Too powerful, I think.

Janitor - Genius! There have been many times as Mafia when I was found just by process of elimination; this will give Mafia a chance to claim roles. Again, makes the game more intense, which is what -Mafia- is all about!

Those are my opinions. Off to Subway.

Faceless
April 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I think of all the available votes, Witch is my favorite. The ability to alter the game like that if you're good sounds just as dangerous at the serial killer but more fun. Second favorite is Arsonist. When you think about Arsonists, they're really just serial killers with timed killings. Not any more overpowered than the serial killer is.

Arsonist should be able to only kill during the day, by the way. It'd make things interesting to SEE people go up in flames at a "safe" time.

Dark.Revenant
April 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Coding day kills would be very challenging. Plus it's basically a calling card: I'M ARSON; KILL ME!!!

The Terrorist wins if both he and the town are dead. Beyond that, he doesn't care if the Mafia, SK, etc. win.

ev1hmr
April 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Since he's basically a survivor with no vest and can only kill once, and to do effectively he has to live for a few days, I would suggest that if someone tries to kill him at night, he explodes and kills them too. It would make the mafia be more careful in their killing (town too for that matter), giving him at least a little protection from being randomly killed.

Dark.Revenant
April 17th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Good idea.

Faceless
April 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Well if Arsonist COULD kill during the day, it should look like the victims just randomly burst into a violent flame. There shouldn't be anything that leads back to the Arsonist other than the rather obvious display of fireworks he's putting on.

I feel like it would add a new way to lie. If the Aronist really wanted to frame someone he could wait until someone is put on trial, and then go for the kill to make it look like the defendant is trying to kill people after being put on trial. Daytime kills would probably be worth the time/effort to implement, as it would also open up doors for other daytime killers if you ever wanted to add them.

Terrorist sounds like a fun idea when you add in the effect of exploding on whoever kills him. It would add in a sense of caution when the mafia is killing people. As it is now, mafia will pretty much just randomly choose someone to kill most nights unless they have a lead. With the terrorist threat, it would make a lot of mafia rethink their game plan.

Janitor actually sounds like it could have a great positive impact on the way the game is played. If there's ever an opportunity to create another way to lie, I think it should be seized.

Elixir
April 18th, 2011, 03:14 AM
The Weather effects in the latest update are excellent. A really nice addition.

McJesus
April 18th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I voted for Spy, Arsonist Bus Driver and Janitor.

Hunter - I have a completly different vision of someone playing the hunter role. Basically I see them as either town or neutral and they can lay a certain amount of traps down (1-2) Everyone that targets hunter that night including doctors and roleblockers and obviously killers get caught in trap and if someone gets caught in their trap their targeting of hunter is cancelled and then the next night the person(s) in the trap's night ability is completly disabled and the hunter has the option to either kill each person in your trap or let them live. The metagame around properly playing hunter would be to bluff an important role to get people to target you and then hold their fates in the balance. Would be really interesting and fun! Current version of hunter is meh

Spy - is an awesome idea, I don't think it would make town overpowered because of anonomousness of it, just make the mafia be more careful.

Forensics - would definetly be overpowered for Town's side in it's current state and would only work if he replaced sheriff and investigator since he is more powerful than those guys and could find evildoers way quicker. I don't like the idea

Miller - It's a cool idea but miller would literally be weaker than citizen and anyone who was a miller would just leave the game/no one would want to be the miller so everyone would say to take it out if it was selected. Wouldn't work out popularity wise

Userper - Doesn't add any depth to game so whatever. All it does is enourage mafia infighting and userper to give away gf identity in his last will. Also if godfather dies he should auto become godfather, if I was godfather I would sacrifice the userper first.

Framer - It's a pretty cool idea but how would it effect investigators who don't detect exact roles?

Jester - sure why not for shits and giggles

Arsonist - honestly not sure how this would play out could be really good or bad. Varriation on serial killer overall I like it!

Witch - Meh witch would probably be neutral evildooer without any killing power, that doesn't bode well for their ability to win.

Terrorist - could be a cool wildcard. I think he should have to kill himself in order to win not just be dead and that he shouldn't be able to kill himself for at least the first night if not the first two nights to make things more interesting.

Busdriver - Great role because it is powerful in a subtle way. It would be epic and funny to see a busdriver make a mafia kill one of his own. I think godfather even with immunity shouldn't be immune to a hit from a busdrivered mafia. Also has tons of metagame implications if you know the role of someone. Noob or troll busdriver could be a problem though. This role would add a lot of depth to the game.

Tracker/Watcher - meh could be cool, seems fairly meidocre to me.

Surgeon - seems a little overpowered for the mafia, they could be constantly healing one of their
own. Surgeon could also be used to troll mafia by healing anyone they target.

Hitman - Does hitman mean doctors wouldn't matter? Otherwise it is pointless. Only people with immunity other than godfather who is mafia are civilians and survivor and that is tempoary you don't need to make a role for that. I think it is better as mafia vigilante.

Janitor - love this role for mafia. Allows for a lot more mindgames and suspense. The weakness is that you know janitor's hit was from mafia not sk or vig. Janitor should be able to see the role they clean up privatly so they can tell the mafia the next night. This is a great role for a smart mafia, for a dumb mafia probably wouldn't benifit them that much but definelty sould add it.

McJesus
April 18th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Terrorist sounds like a fun idea when you add in the effect of exploding on whoever kills him. It would add in a sense of caution when the mafia is killing people. As it is now, mafia will pretty much just randomly choose someone to kill most nights unless they have a lead. With the terrorist threat, it would make a lot of mafia rethink their game plan.

I second this idea :D

Faceless
April 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
It's interesting to see how people are responding to this role poll. I really didn't expect people to vote into Spy so many times.

Faceless
April 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Just curious, DR. How long do you intend to let the poll sit before you tally up the votes and make your decision(s)?

JustDK
April 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I like the Surgeon, Janitor, and Framer the most. Towns people are fine as it is imo, i play with alot of Random Mafia, which makes more mafia alot more interesting. just my 2 cents

Dark.Revenant
April 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm doing the roles tomorrow. Today is dedicated to updating the game mechanics.

Faceless
April 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm going to start posting my suggestions here since this seems to be pretty much dedicated to new stuff, and since you've mentioned game mechanics...

I suggest having an option (preferably on the role-card) to turn off music. I really enjoy the new weather effects and sounds, and the music gets kind of annoying sometimes. That being said, the music MUST STAY, just with the option to turn it off and on. As it stands now, I believe the music is classified as "sound" rather than "music" so turning off Music in the default options menu won't have an effect.

I love the new cosmetic changes to the map, by the way.

Eldrazor
April 18th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm going to start posting my suggestions here since this seems to be pretty much dedicated to new stuff, and since you've mentioned game mechanics...

I suggest having an option (preferably on the role-card) to turn off music. I really enjoy the new weather effects and sounds, and the music gets kind of annoying sometimes. That being said, the music MUST STAY, just with the option to turn it off and on. As it stands now, I believe the music is classified as "sound" rather than "music" so turning off Music in the default options menu won't have an effect.

I love the new cosmetic changes to the map, by the way.
Music off in the map shouldn't need to be an option. It just needs to be classified as 'music' instead of 'sound'. I actually have my sound off when I'm playing mafia because of this.

Dark.Revenant
April 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM
This was an oversight on my part and will be changed in the coming version.

Heisenberg
April 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I would so be the Usurper. That's just badass. I was making a habit of pretending to be an investigator and saccing the GF anyway.

Trenix
April 19th, 2011, 07:11 AM
There are many roles that I like and some that I dislike. However, I've only voted for 4. So just because some roles don't have many votes, it doesn't mean that they're bad roles. It's most likely that players will pick their 4 favorites. For example, miller would be a nice role but there are only 2 votes for it and I am actually not one of them. Mainly it's because I prefer other roles first. So just because it's the second lowest selection on the list, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I think that everyone should take that into consideration.

Membrax
April 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM
So just because it's the second lowest selection on the list, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I think that everyone should take that into consideration.

Well, according to the poll title:
"Vote for the four roles you would like added first"
hopefully we'll see more of those (and new ones I hope) later on :)
You just have to start somewhere.

Trenix
April 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM
So just because it's the second lowest selection on the list, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I think that everyone should take that into consideration.

Well, according to the poll title:
"Vote for the four roles you would like added first"
hopefully we'll see more of those (and new ones I hope) later on :)
You just have to start somewhere.

I've noticed that, just wanted people to be aware.

Faceless
April 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Most, if not all of these roles are worthy of being implemented at some point. I liked more than 4 of them as well.

Faceless
April 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
DR, I notice that there are several suggestion threads open by other users. You might consider changing the name of this thread to catch the attention of people and try to get them to post their suggestions here along with voting on the poll. This seems like it would be beneficial, especially if you're like me and too lazy to go through everyone's suggestions.

People will probably still create their own suggestion threads, but at least this will lessen the numbers and maybe generate more feedback.

Dark.Revenant
April 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I removed the roles that won from the list (due to map ban, I'm adding the top 6 instead of top 4). These are Spy, Framer, Janitor, Jester, Arsonist, and Witch.

For now, vote on the roles you think should NOT be added to the game. I won't be taking out a fixed number of roles from this list; I just want to see what you think.

Membrax
April 20th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Considering the last mail from Blizzard (http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,91.0.html) it would be preferable to either forget about the terrorist or rename it...

Dark.Revenant
April 20th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Will Bomber work?

Eldrazor
April 20th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Put in Terrorist.

WTF is wrong with terrorist!? Are people going to relive 9-11 all over again just because they see the word 'terrorist'?
Are they going to ban counter strike maps in starcraft 2 too, now?

This just makes me want to walk up to the person who's responsible for this (on Blizzard's side) and slap him in the face.

Did the EU uploader get a similar e-mail?

Membrax
April 20th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Well, personally I would put "Terrorist", "Stripper", "Hooker" and even others who'll be censured on this forum ;D

But right now, if the map is noticed again by Blizzard for the same reason, Dark.Revenant gonna have his account banned, and most likely the map with him.
We won't change Blizzard on this forum so let's just prevent it from happening ;)

Dark.Revenant
April 20th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'm hoping people realize this is a poll for roles you don't like, rather than roles you like. This is sort of a method to get roles off of the voting table while I take the time to work on a large update.

Eldrazor
April 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Terrorist should be fine. Otherwise we can't put the word 'extremist' in the game, too.

Elixir
April 20th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I'd probably just go with Demolition/Munition Expert to save us all the trouble of getting back onto the first page again. Bomber would be equally good.

Eldrazor
April 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Or you could say "Blizzard Employee" to really be a troll. :P

Paul Auster
April 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Usurper (Wins if the Mafia wins and the Godfather dies)
Bomber (Commits suicide and kills the target, plus whomever he targeted)
Bus Driver (Swaps targets between two people)

none of these! im not sure i get the point of bomber, usurper is too complex, and bus driver is going to inevitably cause more trouble for the town than he's worth

p.s. i love the game and play it all the time

Eldrazor
April 20th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I really like the usurper... :(

Faceless
April 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I voted Usurper, Surgeon, and Forensics.

Usurper doesn't really make sense to me.

Surgeon would be OP. Part of the challenge of being a Doctor is to predict who will be attacked and when. If you only have a total of 2-4 people who can actually be attacked, then the job is way too easy and the mafia would never die at night.

Forensics would be cool, but I realized that they would be ridiculously imba for the first few nights. If someone dies, they can examine the corpse and tell us exactly who killed it because it's unlikely that more than one person visits someone on the first night. So a forensics would essentially always get rid of one killer.

Trenix
April 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Wow, I voted for the three that I did want. Thats an unexpected change, I'm sure there will be biased votes on this poll. Make it a little more clear...

Dark.Revenant
April 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM
The same could be said for a Sheriff who finds a Mafioso, Faceless.

Faceless
April 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM
The same could be said for a Sheriff who finds a Mafioso, Faceless.

You're correct, but the forensics would be much more accurate. The Sheriff basically has to check someone based on a hunch, or just randomly guess the first/second night unless he has concrete evidence which rarely is obtained in the first & second day/night cycle. The Forensics would always be able to find someone though, regardless. Like, if there's a forensics, and a person capable of killing in the same game, the forensics would basically have 100% accuracy identifying at least one person. If someone dies first night, Forensics checks the corpse, and sees one person visited that person then there's only one person who could've gotten the kill.

To summarize, (if I'm reading this all correctly) Forensics has 100% accuracy first/second night.

Deolrin
April 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Wouldn't Forensics also have a "blind" chance at finding who the corpse is?
That's true for 2nd night, but for the 1st night, he'll have to guess who the guy is. No?

Faceless
April 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM
The very first night, when someone dies, I don't think the forensics guy could do anything (depends on how the role is implemented). However, the following day, when someone DOES die, there's really only ONE person who could have visited the victim and that's the person who killed the victim.

Dark.Revenant
April 20th, 2011, 02:51 PM
A traditional ability for the Forensics guy is to reveal the role of a person who dies. If I don't add the role as is, I'll add him later as a unique role for a variant where roles are not revealed normally on death.

Dark.Revenant
April 20th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Reset the poll and made it less confusing. VOTE AGAIN, PEOPLE.

Seriously, I don't think some people read the instructions, so I would like a better sample.

Zilas
April 20th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Miller -would bring to much confusion if u ask me plus peopel might just slaughter this guy off nomater what (if sheriff checks and apps to be guilty) some people like taking that risk:s
Usurper - just no :d (btw what if there is no godfather
Surgeon - Mafia doctor would be just to hard imo, he could lie and say hes a friendly doc, plus serial killer wont even be able to kill specific mafia :s

Elixir
April 20th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I picked Usurper, Surgeon and Miller as my top 3 hated.

Gonna post about a few I have opinions on:

Hunter (One-day silence/trap to anyone who targets the Hunter's target)
-- It's a cool concept, but 1 use is a little bit weak unless it also reveals the role to the hunter, in which case it would be pretty good.

Forensics (Can get a list of the people who targeted any dead person)
-- Pretty decent one... Will this have a maximum amount of uses?

Miller (Appears to be guilty/mafioso)
-- I don't see why the Town would need a Framer type. They're trying to get to the truth, not just start burning randoms. It could be an interesting neutral type but then it would overshadow the Survivor.

Usurper (Wins if the Mafia wins and the Godfather dies):
-- I dont like this class as it really undermines the integrity of the Mafia unit. A civil war in the mafia isnt what they should be focused on, cause that could cause the mafia team to start lynching off their own.

Bus Driver (Swaps targets between two people)
-- I like this idea because its has the ability to be easy to learn and difficult to master. Granted that will mean every town hates when a noob gets it, but its calculated.

Surgeon (Doctor):
-- The last thing the Mafia needs is to be able to become immune to random SK hits and vigilantes. Vigilantes already have limited shots so this would be a complete counter to them, unless the Surgeon also had a maximum number of saves... so that he must use them when he thinks the Vigilante's are about to take a shot. But I still don't think the Mafia need this kind of power.

Hitman (Target loses immunity):
--This would only really be useful against survivors and citizens with vests, and lets face it -- those arent really high on the Mafia hit list. SK immunity is almost always off and the Hitman isnt going to be trying to take out the Godfather. Not a good role.

Dark.Revenant
April 20th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I picked Usurper, Surgeon and Miller as my top 3 hated.

Gonna post about a few I have opinions on:

Hunter (One-day silence/trap to anyone who targets the Hunter's target)
-- It's a cool concept, but 1 use is a little bit weak unless it also reveals the role to the hunter, in which case it would be pretty good.

Miller (Appears to be guilty/mafioso)
-- I don't see why the Town would need a Framer type. They're trying to get to the truth, not just start burning randoms. It could be an interesting neutral type but then it would overshadow the Survivor.

Hitman (Target loses immunity):
--This would only really be useful against survivors and citizens with vests, and lets face it -- those arent really high on the Mafia hit list. SK immunity is almost always off and the Hitman isnt going to be trying to take out the Godfather. Not a good role.

The hunter gets multiple uses. The miller does not have an active ability. The hitman is also immune to roleblocks (he gets priority when performing the kill and is essentially a powerful mafioso).

rahuruk
April 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM
Not a big fan of the Bomber idea, Surgeon feels like it would be too powerful atm for mafia. At least until more roles for town come into play.

My last vote I couldn't really decide between Usurper and Miller. Though I chose Usurper, I don't see that role actually being enabled in many games being a more third party role that's not really third party. Unless I'm misunderstanding the role. Which may be the case as I am no expert on this game.

ev1hmr
April 21st, 2011, 12:07 AM
Forensices, Surgeon, Hitman, and Usurper would break the game (for my rationalization see the other thread).

I don't really see a need to add new roles just for the sake of adding new roles, you want the ones you add to be interesting, fun, and fair, and the four I listed above aren't at least one of those.

Elixir
April 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM
The hunter gets multiple uses. The miller does not have an active ability. The hitman is also immune to roleblocks (he gets priority when performing the kill and is essentially a powerful mafioso).

Good on the Hunter then.

Miller then is kind of interesting in that the mafia can claim they're a miller. A good addition to inhouse games, but seeing how pubs (don't) play Masons or Cits because of lack of power moves, probably wont see much use there. -- But then again we'll have so many classes by then thats not so much of a big deal and gives the mafia a card to play if there are random towns.

Hitman with roleblock immunity is a good addition too then, provided like the GF there's a max of 1.

Thanks for responding

Dark.Revenant
April 21st, 2011, 01:20 AM
I've decided to remove Usurper, Bomber, Forensics, and Surgeon from the list. I might add Forensics into the game along with a special no-roles-revealed variant at a later time, but the Forensics guy's ability will instead be to reveal a dead player's role. Bomber is also on the back-log.

Suggest roles to add to the poll for the next round of voting. I'll start the vote when Release is finished.

AnTiX
April 21st, 2011, 02:01 AM
Miller will be a great add to the game in my opinion. It will give an alternative to the mafioso for "I am a vigilante". This role will probably be hated in public games, but will add a great confusion in more high lvl games. Needed.

Membrax
April 21st, 2011, 02:28 AM
Hello gentlemen,

I'm bringing some traditional roles from Epic Mafia which, IMHO, could be a great addition to this already great map. Please note that the following is essentially extracted from the EM wiki:

Bodyguard (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Bodyguard)

Can choose to guard one person at night
If somebody tries to kill that person...
50% chance the bodyguard will kill the attacker
50% chance the bodyguard will die in place of the target.

Hunter (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Hunter)

Shoots one person if ever lynched
A hunter will be able to shoot even in situations where the mafia appear to already outnumber the town. For example, if a villager, hunter and Mafia remain and the hunter is lynched, he will still have the opportunity to shoot. If he chooses to shoot the last remaining mafia, the town will win!
Jailer (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Jailer)

If no lynching, chooses one target at the end of the day
The target will be jailed at night
The target will be immune to night actions (except driving)
The target cannot do any action
The jailer and the target can converse at night
The target does not know who the jailer is
The jailer can choose to kill the jailed person.
Lightkeeper (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Lightkeeper)

If killed, town will be engulfed in darkness during next day.
Players cannot see who is talking
Players cannot see who voted whom
Oracle (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Oracle)

Chooses one person each night
When the oracle dies, the chosen person's role will be revealed to all
Disguiser (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Disguiser)

Picks one person each night
If the picked person dies during that night, the disguiser will steal that person's identity
The disguiser can only disguise once per game
Example:
Suppose the Disguiser is called "Mr. Disguise" and he disguises as "Ms. Disguised" with a certain role "Superman", the following system message is shown to all players:
Mr. Disguise, the Superman, has died a bloody death.
In addition, "Mr. Disguise" is sent to the graveyard as if he had the role "Superman", and Ms. Disguised is kept alive, although it is apparent that Ms. Disguised has already died and Mr. Disguiser is typing as Ms. Disguised.

Ventriloquist (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Ventriloquist)

Can disguise voice as someone in the meeting to somebody else
The player being disguised does NOT see that they're being disguised as.
Example:
disguising as Bob to John, John sees the message as if Bob spoke normally, but John is the only person who sees it.

AnTiX
April 21st, 2011, 02:59 AM
The fool will be great too :

Fool (wiki) (http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Fool)

Neutral.
May pay anyone a visit during the night and cause no effect.
Get extra point if being lych by The Town.

Deolrin
April 21st, 2011, 03:43 AM
Bodyguard, Hunter, Oracle and Disguiser sound awesome.
Lightkeeper sounds kind of strange and doesn't make much sense.
Jailer is really overpowered.
I don't understand Ventriloquist.
The Fool doesn't make much sense. It's just a villager who wins if he dies, except he can 'visit' people, and yet, what message will be shown? "A fool has visited you"?

Membrax
April 21st, 2011, 04:44 AM
Jailer is really overpowered.

Basically it's like your own private tribunal at night. Maybe he should only be able to kill 1 person per game ?

I don't understand Ventriloquist.

It's a bit confusing at first, but pretty simple actually:

Say, in a game, with have people A, B, C and V which is the Ventriloquist.
During the day chat, V disguised as A say to B: "C is mafia".
Here is what happens:
A & C sees nothing
B sees: "A said: C is mafia"

Just an example, possibilities are endless :)

The Fool doesn't make much sense. It's just a villager who wins if he dies, except he can 'visit' people, and yet, what message will be shown? "A fool has visited you"?

I think the "visit without doing anything" is just here to mess up with any kind of investigation (especially tracker and watcher) to help him achive his goal. Anyway, it looks really like the Jester to me, who will be in the game soon.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Disguiser and Ventriloquist since I love mindgames and creative use of roles :)
I'm not sure how hard it is to implement them through.

Deolrin
April 21st, 2011, 04:59 AM
But wait, wouldn't that make the Ventriloquist really obvious? I mean, unless you disable the option to disable private messages or something. Because, I always disable PMs when I play, and it's disabled by default, so... Meh.
Also, how can that be implemented with the current UI? :O

Membrax
April 21st, 2011, 05:31 AM
But wait, wouldn't that make the Ventriloquist really obvious? I mean, unless you disable the option to disable private messages or something. Because, I always disable PMs when I play, and it's disabled by default, so... Meh.
Also, how can that be implemented with the current UI? :O

It isn't obvious at all, because it appears to the victim as normal chat, not private message.
Back to the previous example, B could see something like that:

Day 2
D: yo so whats new here ?
E: investigated C and he's either Mafioso or Vigilante
A: C is mafia <-- Ventriloquist
D: dunno

while others will see:

Day 2
D: yo so whats new here ?
E: investigated C and he's either Mafioso or Vigilante
D: dunno

Deolrin
April 21st, 2011, 05:42 AM
OH. He does that during days!
I thought it was his night ability.
In that case, that's awesome!

Trenix
April 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM
Town
Judge [Max:1] - If there is a tie for the lynching, the judge will decide who should be picked. The judge will also be the only one to determine the outcome of trials, until he is dead of course. However, the judge is unable to vote.
Priest [Max:1] - Is unable to vote. If he's attacked, he will miraculously come back to life. This miracle will only save him for the first attack. Can also cure possessed players into a citizen.
Psychiatrist - Can turn serial killers and schizophrenics into citizens.
Dentist - Makes a player unable to speak for the next discussion, however the player can still vote and defend himself in trial.
Witness - Is able to hear everyone's conversations at night and PMs, but is unable to see their names.
Judas - Is innocent but becomes a traitor after he's put on trial and then determined innocent. A Traitor will become part of the mafia with no abilities, besides voting and discussing at night.

Mafia
Body Guard [Max:1] - Protects a mafia member from a possible vigilante attack.
Terrorist - Terrorizes a player into not speaking for the next discussion, player can still vote and defend himself in trial.
Drug Dealer - Sells drugs to a player, making them be detected as either a drug dealer/mafia for a day. However, sheriffs cannot be tainted and selling drugs to a sheriff will only reveal the drug dealer's identity.

Neutral
Cult Leader [Max:1] - Instead of killing, turns people into followers. They're able to talk at night and win whenever everyone is part of their cult. Followers return back to their original roles once cult leader is dead.
Possessed OR Schizophrenic- Is able to hear the dead, can only kill two people and must be the last man standing in order to win.

Faceless
April 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM
Pretty much every single one of Membrax's suggestions is 100% awesome, and you should put them into the next poll, DR.

I especially love Ventriloquist. That sounds like it would be RIDICULOUS fun.

rahuruk
April 21st, 2011, 10:12 PM
The body guard looks like it relies completely on RNG.

If the 1/2 chance that he kills the target works then you feel accomplished. If it doesn't go off and you just die for the person I see people just hating the role for being RNG based.

Not that dying to save a vigil/sheriff/doctor isn't bad, but I doubt people playing the class will see that as fun.
"Body guard kills X" "I love this role" next game: "body guard dies protecting" "Fuck this stupid role"

Devil's advocate aside. Imo it's a fine role.

MileS
April 21st, 2011, 11:54 PM
IMO, Bodyguard would be good if you just died for the person instead of the RNG aspect.

I think Cults and Unconfirmed Masons would make for fun additions, and out of the roles in the poll, Millers and Trackers would be especially awesome.

Clawtrocity
April 22nd, 2011, 06:20 AM
I'm not so fond of the Lightbringer idea mainly because I don't see how it could work to make the game more fun. I do however love the hunter, jailer, bodyguard, and disguiser roles. The ventriquist can work if there are more people using the PM feature in games because right now it's always turned off.

Can't wait til we get to vote on roles.

McJesus
April 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
From that list I love Bodyguard, Oracle, and Ventriloquist.

Epic Mafia's version of hunter seems kind of unfitting of the name hunter and stupid and most newer players would probably be stupid and say "you lynched me well screw you" and hurt the town even more. Jailor is a concept I have for a new role allready but I modified it slightly and think it is better. Lightkeeper sounds just plain stupid in my honest opinion and the description on disguiser is confusing. I'll leave judgment until I better understand the role.

McJesus
April 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
My two role ideas to add would be...

Trapper: A varriation on the jailer from epicmafia and the hunter idea, would have a one time use trap he could put out for anyone who targeted him. The person(s) who was trapped would fail at targeting the person (killing/roleblocking/healing) and the next night the people in his trap would have their night abilities and night chat (if they are mafia) disabled. The trapper and everyone he trapped can converse in night chat. The trapper will have the option to free each individual he trapped the next night otherwise everyone who got trapped and isn't freed will die. If the trapper is lynched everyone in the trap will automatically die the next morning.
People who get trapped targeting him: Mafioso, Vigilante, Serial Killer, Godfather, Consort, Escort, Doctor, Janitor, Arsonist, Framer, Cult Leader (if added)
People who don't get trapped targeting him: Investigator, Sheriff, Consigliere, Witch

Cult Leader: I came up with my own version of a cult faction from reading Epic Mafia's wiki and from playing a lot of this game. The cult would consist of two roles cult leader and cult follower. The cult faction wins they are the only ones remaining alive. The cult leader would be the only one selectable from the menu because he would convert cult followers as the game went on.
Cult Leader would have the night ability to convert one person each night from their previous role to a cult follower. If the cult leader dies all of the living cult members go back to ther former roles, however all players who die as cult members stay cult members even after the cult leader is killed. The cult leader would have a second ability that can be turned off to kill his own cult members during the nightime at his leisure.
Both the cult leader and cult followers can chat with each other at night like masons and the spy can see cult chat as well as mafia chat. Making cult follower like a neutral mason. Cult Leader and godfather would have the same description from investigator (ruthless leader) and cult members would have the same description as a mason. Also the sheriff would detect the cult leader but not detect cult members.
-Mafia members and the Sheriff would be immune to being converted into a cult member. If the cult leader tries to convert one of them then it will fail. The cult leader and followers will then know that whoever he tried to convert is either the sheriff or a mafia member.
-I think the cult leader should be able to kill his own cult to make it so that unwanting culties have the threat of being killed if they don't want to be in the cult. Otherwise it would be easy for cult members to lynch the cult leader and while they can still try this if it fails the cult members could end up all dead.

Keifru
April 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
-I think the cult leader should be able to kill his own cult to make it so that unwanting culties have the threat of being killed if they don't want to be in the cult. Otherwise it would be easy for cult members to lynch the cult leader and while they can still try this if it fails the cult members could end up all dead.

Cults are already one of the most difficult 3rd parties to balance around due to completly buggering with reads due to alignment changes. If you give them the ability to off their own memebers, it gives the cult that much more power to manipulate the town. The cult already has the power of being on the same team to work together- its a pretty big dick move to give them another tool to screw with the town. =S

Eldrazor
April 23rd, 2011, 01:58 AM
But you forget that a godfather probably doesn't want to be in a cult. :P

Deolrin
April 23rd, 2011, 03:06 AM
BTW, it would be cool if Spy could choose if he wants to listen to Cult chat or to Mafia chat at night, and thus making it even more vague to know whether or not a Spy is listening to you.
Otherwise, I love the Cult idea.

TK
April 23rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
Roles I like:

Jester/Fool

Psychiatrist-I would say he should be able to turn a SK, Jester and arsonist into citizens or a random town role. If he uses his ability on a mafiosso/vilgil, they are role blocked for the next night while they reconsider their lifesytle. Like the investigator, the psychiatrist should not be able to tell the difference. This could also have a way of balancing the cult leader, if the psychiatrist could convert followers back. If we want to keep this to a Wild West theme, we could instead name this role Preacher.

Schizophrenic

Intimidater: Aligned with Mafia. If he intimidates you, you cannot speak the next day. This is the same as terrorist, but with a name that will pass censors. We could also call him Enforcer or thug.

Roles I dislike:
Miller-other ways of this, such as framer/drug dealer
Hunter
Lightbringer
Spy
Bodyguard

Intimidater: Aligned with Mafia. If he intimidates you, you cannot speak the next day.

McJesus
April 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM

Cults are already one of the most difficult 3rd parties to balance around due to completly buggering with reads due to alignment changes. If you give them the ability to off their own memebers, it gives the cult that much more power to manipulate the town. The cult already has the power of being on the same team to work together- its a pretty big dick move to give them another tool to screw with the town. =S

It isn't to mess with the town. I like the idea of cults from reading the Epicmafia wiki but I don't like the idea of having everyone in the cult die if the cult leader dies. Without that in place though it is in the towns best interest to just out the cult leader so that they can get him lynched since you would expose him proving your innocence of being mafia without giving away your role (since mafia and sheriff can't be converted you know if they are a cult member outing their leader they can't be either of those). You have to have some way of controlling cult members to not off their leader and since cult leader wins by numbers it isn't in his own best interest to kill his own cult members

A better idea I thought of was to have it be so that if you lynch the cult leader everyone he has recruited auto commits suicide but if he gets killed during the night then everyone turns back into regular townies. Would add some cool depth to the possible role.

McJesus
April 23rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
My updated version of suggested new roles from looking at everyones comments and the epicmafia wiki

Trapper: A varriation on the jailer from epicmafia and the hunter idea, would have a one time use trap he could put out for anyone who targeted him. The person(s) who was trapped would fail at targeting the person (killing/roleblocking/healing) and the next night the people in his trap would have their night abilities and night chat (if they are mafia) disabled. The trapper and everyone he trapped can converse in night chat. The trapper will have the option to free each individual he trapped the next night otherwise everyone who got trapped and isn't freed will die. If the trapper is lynched everyone in the trap will automatically die the next morning. Also if the arsonist burns the trapper when he sets the trap everyone who gets trapped dies in the fire with trapper and all arsonists other targets.
People who get trapped targeting him: Mafioso, Vigilante, Serial Killer, Godfather, Consort, Escort, Doctor, Janitor, Arsonist (doucing), Framer
People who don't get trapped targeting him: Investigator, Sheriff, Consigliere, Witch, Arsonist (burning)

Paranoid Gun Owner: from epic mafia http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Granny
-kills whoever visits them in the night

Shrink: Can visit one person each night.
-Serial Killer, Arsonist, all mafia members, and vigilante will consider their role in life and have their night options screen disabled the following night (ie: visit in night 1 disables night options in night 2).
-Will convert cult members back into their former role
-Will have no effect on non killing town and neutral roles or cult leader

Oracle:from epicmafia and allready suggested
targets one person each night, if the oracle dies that person's role is revelaed

Cult Leader: The cult would consist of two roles cult leader and cult follower. The cult faction wins they are the only ones remaining alive. The cult leader would be the only one selectable from the menu because he would convert cult followers as the game went on.
Cult Leader would have the night ability to convert one person each night from their previous role to a cult follower. If the Cult Leader is lynched all cult followers will commit suicide however if the cult leader is killed during the night then all cult members will return to their former roles.
-Mafia members, the Sheriff and (if added) the shrink would be immune to being converted into a cult member. If the cult leader tries to convert one of them then it will fail. The cult leader and followers will then know that whoever he tried to convert is either the sheriff or a mafia member. Mafia couldn't be converted because they know who other mafia are which ruins the game.

Hitman: Modified version of Dark Reverant's version of the hitman.
-has either one or two kills
-when a hitman selects a target it is the mafia kill and takes priority over mafioso voting and godfather ordering.
-will kill a target regardless of night immunity or how many doctors heal target.
-can't be roleblocked

Ventriloquist: from epicmafia and allready suggested
•Can disguise voice as someone in the meeting to somebody else
•The player being disguised does NOT see that they're being disguised as.

Lawyer: from epicmafia http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Lawyer
-The Lawyer can choose one of their mafia partners to save from potential Cop investigations. If a lawyered mafia member is investigated the same night, he will show up as innocent to the cop.
-The Lawyer is a visiting role and is able to visit mafia members.
-However, the Lawyer cannot use his ability on himself

also I think these are cool

Priest (Town)
Can resurrect a dead player once. The resurrected player becomes a Citizen.
Mad Scientist (Mafia)
Can resurrect a dead player once. The resurrected player becomes a Mafioso.

but I would modify it so that priests can't bring back dead mafia as citizens because they could just give away other mafia members and ruin the game. Of course if a dead mafia member was resurected you would know he was mafioso so it would be a kind of noobish move but it should still be possible.

Dark.Revenant
May 5th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Poll open.

Elixir
May 5th, 2011, 01:17 AM
So what're the chances of Hitman being named Assassino to keep with the rad Italian theme (and cause Creed is ftw) - None? Okay worth a shot :(

I chose Hitman, Silencer, Recruit and Spirit Medium.

I dont really understand the cult roles... are like like neutral masons?

Bodyguard just seems like a class that wouldnt see use outside premade games. I've noticed pubs seem to think roles suck if they dont have an active ability (spies, masons...) even though they do add dynamic to the game.

I've already gone over why I dont like the Usurper

Miller and Mason leader are pretty cool roles, but they're by #5 and #6. Miller is a role that also falls into the same category as Bodyguard. I think it would add awesome dynamic for Mafia to claim millers but again, I think pub hosts wouldnt use it or people would just rage quit if they randomed it.

Dark.Revenant
May 5th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Spirit Medium, Cultist, and Cult Leader all on the Cult side. Bodyguard is an active role; doctor with added bang.

Membrax
May 5th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Could we have some additionnal info on cultists ?
Would they be like in Epic: they are killed when visited by a mason at night ; and if cult leader dies, all cultists die with him ?

The.KK
May 5th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Definitively a Silencer and either a Mason Leader (as long as the converted townie keeps the ability from his previous role) or a Miller.

Dark.Revenant
May 5th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Cultist dies when trying to recruit a mason. Cult leader's death does not cause the cultists to die but they stop recruiting and can't communicate at night.

vileguy
May 5th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I feel usurper and spirit medium are bad ideas. Usurper should win if mafia wins, seeing as their part of the mafia. I think people are too likely to give spoilers when dead, rat out their mafia buddies, etc. I think spirit medium would work if they could only talk to people right after they die, and those people couldn't talk to the other dead people until they are blocked from talking to spirit medium.

Recruit sounds cool and bodyguard sounds awesome.

Zack
May 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Spirit Medium is fine because its not aligned with the town or the mafia, its a cult role... Would be interesting to see how the cult changes the game, heh.

I think putting Cultist in the vote is meaningless, because having Cult Leader includes the recruited people as Cultists. You can't add one without the other, and adding Spirit Medium without the cult would also be meaningless...

Dark.Revenant
May 5th, 2011, 04:54 AM
It's not intended to make sense. It's just there for people to put votes on roles they like.

Deolrin
May 5th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I don't understand the Hunter; What do you mean by 'trap for a day'? Is it basicaly the same as a Townie Silencer with a twist?

Miller sounds kinda 'meh' and boring, we already have the Janitor for that.

Bodyguard would be awesome if he didn't die with the attacker, that just makes him reluctant to do anything until there's like three people left in the game and he knows for sure who's the townie and who's the Mafia. Then his only chance is hope and get lucky. Overall, he seems like a rather weak and 'meh' role.

I don't understand Hitman. Is he like the Mafioso's\Godfather's sidekick, there only to help kill Survivors and Citizens? Either way, sounds bad because only the Citizen and the Survivor usually have 'immunity'. Godfather and Serial Killer are most often set to no immunity.

Usurper is bad for reasons stated by people above.

Silencer is pretty awesome. Voted for it.

Spirit Medium would be awesome, although I was really waiting for a Mafia\Townie\Completely Neutral role that does the same... If the cult gets implemented, that's an awesome idea, though. :)
I assume that if one cult role wins the poll, all the other cult roles will be added, right? Or at least, if Medium wins. Of course, I'm not saying that Medium should be included if cultist\cult leader wins.

Cultist and Cult Leader are awesome, I voted for Cult Leader but I assume the cultists will also get implemented.

Mason Leader will FINALLY make masons less 'boring', as many people say. :) What happens if a Mason Leader recruits the Cult Leader or Godfather? :D

Recruit is very lame in my opinion. It sounds like a "MAFIA KILL ME I'M RECRUIT" kind of role. Kind of like what Jester was before today's update.

Elixir
May 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM
If the recruit says that, then the town (and more specifically the vigilante) knows who to ice. They need to play it cool. And if they dont get attacked, they'd win with the town anyway so all they really have to do is avoid Serial Killers.

Clawtrocity
May 5th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Aww I thought the hunter was the guy who could shoot someone while being lynched! I guess the way the jester works does that well enough though. I love the silencer, medium, and bodyguard. A few other roles seem interesting, but those three are excellent.

Afumba
May 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Voted for Bodyguard, Silencer, Medium and Cult-leader (cult leader and mason leader was a coin toss :D)

Hunter - dont understand the role exactly... hmmm...^^

Miller - no oppinion on him yet^^

Bodyguard - What if GF or SK with night immunity attacks? Whats the outcome... only Bodyguard dies? No one dies?

Hitman - seems a bit weak atm

Silencer - bets role on the pole^^ And surely brings a lot of fun :D Everyone stating "defend urself!" or "state ur role" blabla to the accused guy... and the poor guy cant talk... haha... or faking it... :)

Usurper - hard winning condition... also cuz Mafia sees his role & know that he might try to kill GF^^ Mafia ppls would mostly be pro GF as pro him

Spirit Medium - sounds nice... but i think it would be nice if Spirit medium has to select someone (or a certain number) at the graveyard to be able to listen to his/their talk. Would be a bit harsh if she can hear everything^^

Cultist - does this mean he can only die by mason?...

Cult Leader - sounds nice

Mason Leader- would improve the Mason role

Recruit - no opinion so far on him

Zilas
May 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Hunter - Errr.. I couln't say If Id want this one In or not..

Miller - Think this role would suck, If there Is a Investigator who recently got the right people ( and he is being kept up alive due doctor) and he checks this guy and he appears to be guilty, well then its almost a guarandeed dead.. Yes I know that he can do say hes miller but really, why wouln't they take the risk? nothing much to lose really.

Bodyguard - Sounds like a lovely role. Giving ur life for someone else :P But if sk kills mafia and u save mafia :P then i'm not sure if u should be happy or not, anyhowever ima probablly vote on this one :D

Hitman - I never leave games when I'm alive, Unless a very Important thing pops up ofc, Anyway If I'd be this role, I would just leave straight away.

Usurper - What exactly If there Is no godfather? Does he just win if the mafia wins then? Also what Is this guy supposed to do anyway? sit on chair and hope for game to end without a gf in game or gf being dead? :P

Silencer - Hey, Zilas, Role? I don't reply since I can't :P so... I'd most likely just get random lynched, This role can be tricky though..Since some people don't talk or barely talk, But don't think I'm voting this cause yeah It's kinda annoying

Spirit Medium - This sounds like an Interesting role. Only can speak with the dead during night? Or will you make some chat available at day to switch to talk with dead talk with alive? Either way this role sounds lovely. Can also trick people by acting like you're this role etc, So this gets a vote.

no comment for these roles really... (not meaning bad i just got no clue what to say :P)
Cultist
Cult Leader
Mason Leader

Recruit - Awesome Idea

Votes go to:

Recruit - Bodyguard - Spirit Medium

Echo
May 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I like the idea of a cult, but I think it should be more refined - 1) membership should be anonymous, this way you can't so easily deduct who is mob and who isn't if you're in the cult (as you'd know who the cultists are, so they obviously cant be mob too, right?)
2) Cultists should have regular classes AND be in the cult, so that's it's basically an exclusive chat channel with anonymous users.
3) A cult leader should be able to nominate a person for recruitment, so the only people who can 100% know for sure who is in the cult are the people who were already in it to begin with after they've started recruiting people.
4) Cult max capacity should be set at the configuration screen, defaulting to 3-5?
5) Every two rounds, the cult should be able to nominate someone to "sacrifice", not unlike the mob nominates kills, only less frequent (otherwise too many people dying in an evening).

I also like the idea of a class that can punish people who try to attack it at night (like the Hunter), but it should be targetable towards a specific person before hand, and if that person attacks them, they instead die.

My 2cents anyways

Supersun
May 5th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I think you need to expand what the cult actually does. Some people seem to be missing that they are an entirely new faction who's objective is to convert or kill every non cult member.

McJesus
May 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM
My opinions and questions on the new roles...

Hunter: allready said, kinda cool but I invision it better :p
Miller: so you have absolutely no night powers and sheriff's and investigators see you as mafia? No one is going to want to play this role ever. It is hard enough getting people to play citizen or mason.
Bodyguard: it's a cool idea but I would bet that most people wouldn't want to sacrifice themselves for someone else. Does the bodyguard still die if he protects someone who is attacked and is healed by a doctor? If he is I would think that would be too OP for town. Also a good role for a witch to manulipate into protecting themselves.
Hitman: I like it a lot more now that I've had time to think about it, definetly add this! I have allready said how I think it should work so hopefully that is the same plan you have for them.
Userper:
Silencer: Could be a little op for mafia if someone is put on trial and then can't say anything in their defence. That would seriously make me rage hard if it happened to me. I would say either allow them to speak during their defence or give a notification at the start of each day that they are being silenced.
cult roles: I like it and think it is cool because I was the original one that suggested it but the details of how they work are important. Spirit medium seems kind of random, one think I would like to know is what happens when the cult leader dies? I really think they should just turn back to their previous roles. Also what happens if you try to convert either a mafia member or a sk/arsonist? How are they killed by the masons? Does this mean the masons get the power to kill at night?
mason leader: that's cool, as long as a n00b mason leader doesn't recruit a doctor or sheriff and screw the whole town over. What happens if you try to convert either a mafia member or a sk/arsonist?
Recruit: Cool role dynamic for random games, I don't see it being used too much in pre-selected games because it might give too much power to the mafia.

vileguy
May 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Bodyguard would be awesome if he didn't die with the attacker, that just makes him reluctant to do anything until there's like three people left in the game and he knows for sure who's the townie and who's the Mafia. Then his only chance is hope and get lucky. Overall, he seems like a rather weak and 'meh' role.

Bodyguard needs to die with the attacker, and actually the sooner the better. If bodyguard dies using his ability, he's killing either a SK, a Mafia, or a Vigi who is prob being stupid (assuming GF immunity doesn't foil this). That's worthwhile, and killing a SK sooner means an easier time for town. The only time a bodyguard would be sad is if a stupid Vigi got him them both killed, or if he got offed alone.

He is an INCREDIBLY powerful role, which is why he can only kill once. He is able to kill a Killer Role without knowing who it is. That is unbelievably strong in a game where the only info you have is based on trusting people blindly.

Bodyguard: it's a cool idea but I would bet that most people wouldn't want to sacrifice themselves for someone else. Does the bodyguard still die if he protects someone who is attacked and is healed by a doctor? If he is I would think that would be too OP for town. Also a good role for a witch to manulipate into protecting themselves.

Bodyguard get to kill a SK or mafia, that's "better" than being a civ to most people. Bodyguard living if he got healed wouldn't be overpowered, it would be only slightly better than double medic:
A heals B, B heals C, B and C are unkillable by 1 attack
vs
A heal B, B guards C, B and C are unkillable by 1 attack, attacker dies if targetting C, does not die if targetting B

That situation wouldn't happen all the time, and if u know there's a bodyguard that may be healed, just try to find the doctor. The only way this is going to happen is if the bodyguard thinks someone is a target and announces that he's guarding so a medic can heal him. That means you know 2 people who aren't a doc, probably others as well, more if you're mafia, so u can limit your attacks fine. If it's late in the game, u can know who the doc is right off the bat and kill them now and bodyguard next turn. It's perfectly balanced.

Deolrin
May 5th, 2011, 01:40 PM
It would be hilarious if a bodyguard protects a Mafioso from a Vigilante, then. :P

Searix
May 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM
bump

Elixir
May 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Because some people seem to be misinterpreting the hitman, he is a super mafioso who shoots through vests and sk immunities, and cannot be role blocked. He doesn't just remove immunity

Zack
May 8th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Then why add the Hitman role at all? Just add those abilities as optionals for Mafioso. With the Godfather being able to kill on his own the Mafioso role became obsolete, personally I don't add it anymore. Changing Mafioso into Hitman would give the role viability again. Then again, when thinking of Consort/Janitor/Framer turning into Mafioso when alone, it might be overpowered late in the game.

Mysterymeat
May 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Some of these ideas are pretty cool. I like the idea of bodyguard, sacrificing yourself to take down mafia or sk. How does spirit medium win exactly, cause it would be pretty op if it was town but pretty useless for mafia. lol miller is funny, no one would want to be that role and it would give mafia a HUGE advantage cause it could waste a trial, and they could claim they are miller. Don't exactly get what cultists do... Masons leader is a very cool idea and would stop some ppl from spamming no masons and leaving if host puts them in. Recruit to me is kinda op by himself cause mafia doesn't kill him he only converts and if he didn't convert he could dodge all sheriffs. It would foce sheriff to inv ppl twice in case they changed from recruit to mafia. So I don't get the role of usuerper.... What does he do exactly except hope gf dies? Can he kill too.....or what? I mean he could just shout to the town who the gf is and prob die too but i don't see how else he could kill gf, beside hope sk or arsonist gets him.

Faceless
May 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I voted for Recruit, Spirit Medium, Mason Leader, and Silencer.

Spirit Medium has been suggested for a while (or at least I thought it was), so it would make sense to implement it. It just seems like a fun role and it would give the dead a reason to stay which would also hopefully cause them to stay until the end to get their points, and it would also make dying on night 1 a little less lame.

Recruit would give the mafia a sort of secondary goal, especially if they knew who the Recruit was but didn't target him/her right away. Increasing mafia vote numbers would be pretty high on my list of priorities as Godfather.

I personally loved Masons from the beginning, but it seems like most other people tend to hate any role that doesn't involve clicking someone's name at night, so Mason Leader could fix this and give Masons a really cool new way to play by scoping out potential new guys.

Silencer sounds like a really really really fun role and could (and would) add a new way for people to lie, and that's what the game is all about, right? It'd be kinda like having a Framer around. People would second-guess themselves or their allies, and the "That guy's been quiet for a while, he must be mafia" argument would start to fade a little.

As for the Cult, I think they'd be kind of hard to incorporate into an average setup, but they'd still be fun.

Steve
May 8th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I know this is meant to be a poll on roles the official makers are thinking about, but I could not sleep last night (after some rounds of mafia...XD) And had a few ideas for possible roles, and figured, this would be the best place to pitch them.

First: Deputy: Town, Becomes a Sheriff if the Town loses its last/current Sheriff(s), otherwise, works like a citizen, in case consiglere investigates. Earns extra points if the town wins and does not have to be deputized.

Either that, or make a Sheriff ability: Deputize: Gives a citizen or Mason the option to become a Sheriff.

Second: Lawyer: Neutral, Hides a person's role from all detection Consider Self target?

Speaking of Self Target, in traditional Mafia I have played, the doctor CAN target himself...so perhaps consider adding a self target for the doctor with like a single use? Or multiple with an option like survivors number of vests. Just a thought.

Finally, I was thinking something like a priest, that calls a Mass once per game and role blocks everyone.

Anyway...Have fun, and I will be giddy with glee if I ever do see any of my suggestions. ^_^

S-

Omgproberush
May 8th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Still pushing for the Miller just to add a role that isn't a power role but nonetheless mixes things up. Of course, everyone will probably quit out as them, but it'd be fun to have them anyway for when people don't ragequit. Bodyguard sounds cool too.

Dark.Revenant
May 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Millers would think they are citizens... Brutal, huh.

Uzban
May 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Bodyguard (bonus points if they take a hit for the sherriff or doc ?)

Yarr
May 9th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Im not a mason hater, but mason leader would totally spice that shit up.

Elixir
May 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Had a Question from the Mafia Channel. Is the Bus Driver role planned along side these to help the Arson against Investi's or is that role going to be in the next round of voting?

Dark.Revenant
May 9th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Bus Driver is 100% definitely going in. Along with the Coroner. And a special no-roles-revealed variant with no night sequence or death descriptions, featuring Coroners, called "Clue". I'm also making DR's Choice the default variant so it doesn't go to F11 when someone fucks up the settings and the time runs out.

Fulla
May 9th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Please add the Mason leader, or simply let all masons together vote on attempting to recruit one person each night.

That would make Mason being such a fun role.

Membrax
May 10th, 2011, 01:45 AM
As I understand it, Recruit is pretty OP for mafia. Losing 1 town member AND mafia gaining another member is almost gg right there.
At least, make the investigator & sheriff have a particular description for this role. But even then, at best you'll "only" lose a town member and mafia is going as strong as ever.
Dunno, game is already hard enough for town in public games.

Deolrin
May 10th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Yeah, the Recruit really looks like a game-breaking role, I seriously suggest you to replace it for one of the other roles on the poll. A mason leader will certainly fix a lot.
Also, assuming the spirit medium is going on in, how are you planning to implement it? A Neutral role? A cult role along with all the other cult roles? Or what?

thisismyname
May 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I don't really understand what the purpose of the Spirit Medium is. What would a neutral role have to gain from talking to the dead other than to troll the game?

Supersun
May 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Purple = cultist I believe

Deolrin
May 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
He's a member of the cult.
As in, he works with the Cultists and Cult Leader.

thisismyname
May 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
He's a member of the cult.
As in, he works with the Cultists and Cult Leader.

Ah, I see. Still, I don't see the great value of this. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it a town role? Then it would be up to the SM to determine if what is being said to him is coming from a dead townie or a mafioso.

Supersun
May 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Makes more sense with the cult since if the town had it the mafia would just never speak about the game when dead. The cult on the other hand is a little safer since the members of the cult tend to change.

Zimonek
May 11th, 2011, 01:09 PM
If more roles are added, it would be cool if there were 16 players.

Deolrin
May 11th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Yes, more players would be epic! :D

Dark.Revenant
May 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
14 is the hard limit.

Goonswarm
May 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Well I voted and would like to explain my votes and why I think they are the only 2 viable on the list.
I would have voted bus driver but that role is already going in. However I think that for creation purposes the role should be simplified.

I voted for bodyguard as this role is simple and can be used very effectively in public games and premades to turn the tide of the game with a well timed "Save".

I also voted for silencer as this role opens op alot of opportunities for neutrals and newer players at the game who simply do not understand everything yet. They can simply opt to be silent and suspicious parties will think them victim to the Silencer. It is also an incredibly powerful too for mafia to prevent information from leaking after they make a critical kill that only the "silenced" person would be able to identify as a mafia hit. I am really looking forward to this role.

I did not vote for the other roles for this reason. I believe hunter is a weaker version of the silencer and would rather see it in play as the silencer as mafia being silenced is nowhere near as strong as a town member being silenced.

The following roles are very easily abused: Spirit Medium, Recruit, Upserper, Miller. These roles are very open to abuse by dead players/alive players. The jester already provides us the "troll" role and I honestly feel adding these will turn the game into less of a game of strategy and more of a game of luck. I am not 100% positive on this opinion until I could see the final goal list of each role.

Also an opinion regarding your post on the difficulty of putting the bus driver in. You could avoid that by giving the arson a different description when investigated by a consig/investigator. Example would be "Your target is willing to give his life for his cause" and have him be the opposite of the Arsonist. The town would think twice to lynch an arson if they knew they could lose a bodyguard in the process.

More feedback and posts to come in the future. Just registered today :)

Dark.Revenant
May 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I was able to implement the Bus Driver. It was difficult but I managed.

townkrier
May 12th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I agree with thisismyname. I don't really see the point in adding a 4th group. I really like the class Spirit Medium, but as a town role. I just don't like the idea of adding too many groups and making the town less significant. Already it seems like most games make the town about 50%. With this it would be even less.

Dark.Revenant
May 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Nobody is forced to add every group into the game.

Zack
May 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
There's all this talk about the Bus Driver... Just what the heck is that role anyway? I don't see it in the list ;o

styx0202
May 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM
i though about a role

Cop (police officer); can arrest person for 1 day, prisoner can't speak (includes night chat, masons/mafia) or do any any actions (at night)
additional options (if host enables them) if cop gets attacked at night, he protects himself with taser and survives the night, also sees who was his attacker (name of person).

what do you think ?

Membrax
May 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM
There's all this talk about the Bus Driver... Just what the heck is that role anyway? I don't see it in the list ;o

Looks to be inspired from this role:
http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Driver

Basically, he can swap 2 people at night. Pretty cool role, with lots of possibilities (hence the complex implementation).

Goonswarm
May 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM
i though about a role

Cop (police officer); can arrest person for 1 day, prisoner can't speak (includes night chat, masons/mafia) or do any any actions (at night)
additional options (if host enables them) if cop gets attacked at night, he protects himself with taser and survives the night, also sees who was his attacker (name of person).

what do you think ?

I think that the taser option is overkill. Simply being able to arrest someone at night as a powerful roleblock would be sufficient but I feel the role overlaps the Escort way too much and the silencing portion would be better used in the hands of the Silencer, a mafia affiliate.

Sarzael
May 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I want Spirit Medium, Cultist, And Cult Leader to be added, also Mason Leader is a good add too.

Maybe Cultist and Masons cannot be added by host, but you can add Cult Leader and Mason Leader.

I hope those four to be added!

Faceless
May 12th, 2011, 11:44 PM
What happened to the Homosexual role?

Homosexual = Immunity to Roleblockers and can silence any person 10% of the time. (I am serious.)

-snicker-

souleye
May 13th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Silencer sounds most fun, pardon the pun. Spirit medium second, but not really close.

Deolrin
May 13th, 2011, 03:03 AM
So when are those guys getting implemented?
I was waiting for this update eagerly just to see what you will do with the Spirit Medium(Will he still be cult? Etc.).
I guess Coroner and Bus Driver are good enough, though... :P

Sarzael
May 13th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Well I voted and would like to explain my votes and why I think they are the only 2 viable on the list.
I would have voted bus driver but that role is already going in. However I think that for creation purposes the role should be simplified.

I voted for bodyguard as this role is simple and can be used very effectively in public games and premades to turn the tide of the game with a well timed "Save".

I also voted for silencer as this role opens op alot of opportunities for neutrals and newer players at the game who simply do not understand everything yet. They can simply opt to be silent and suspicious parties will think them victim to the Silencer. It is also an incredibly powerful too for mafia to prevent information from leaking after they make a critical kill that only the "silenced" person would be able to identify as a mafia hit. I am really looking forward to this role.

I did not vote for the other roles for this reason. I believe hunter is a weaker version of the silencer and would rather see it in play as the silencer as mafia being silenced is nowhere near as strong as a town member being silenced.

The following roles are very easily abused: Spirit Medium, Recruit, Upserper, Miller. These roles are very open to abuse by dead players/alive players. The jester already provides us the "troll" role and I honestly feel adding these will turn the game into less of a game of strategy and more of a game of luck. I am not 100% positive on this opinion until I could see the final goal list of each role.

Also an opinion regarding your post on the difficulty of putting the bus driver in. You could avoid that by giving the arson a different description when investigated by a consig/investigator. Example would be "Your target is willing to give his life for his cause" and have him be the opposite of the Arsonist. The town would think twice to lynch an arson if they knew they could lose a bodyguard in the process.

More feedback and posts to come in the future. Just registered today :)

Miller adds the strategy to mafia of telling they are miller, not mafia, and they might got a change of surviving then.
I personally dont like Recruit so much, but i dont see why would it turn it into a luck game.
Userper is a enemy to the mafia inside the mafia, which is objetive is make his way to the lead, i dont see why should it be luck.
Spirit Medium is part of the cult, which can ask the dead players for find out whos mafia or whos the better one for convert.

Clawtrocity
May 13th, 2011, 08:53 AM
There are so many ways to fall back on something as mafia now it's not even funny.

You must of been witched
I was framed
A bus driver moved me
I'm a doctor not a SK
I'm a vigilante not a mafioso
I'm a citizen not a godfather
I'm a conorner not a janitor
I'm a Bus Driver not an arson

Adding in the miller would just be another thing to add to the list. At this point if someone thinks you are guilty they will vote you guilty regardless of what you say just because there are so many different possibilities the game will get easier the fewer players that are in the game. As long as the town doesn't lose majority.

Sarzael
May 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Most voteds and why i like/dont like them.
Bodyguard - 26 (13.6%))
Silencer - 33 (17.3%)
Spirit Medium - 32 (16.8%)
Recruit - 26 (13.6%)

Silencer: The silencer is cool, but there should be some way of check if a player is silenced.
Spirit Medium: Could be a cool Cultist, maybe a converted Witch? Also it should have the same message of a mystic.
Bodyguard: It is basically a ´´Suicide`` role, true? Well... I dont know...
Recruit: Pretty op for Mafia, it could be balanced making that if a vigilante shoot him, he becomes town again, and Vigilante wont lost a bullet, but yes the night.

Supersun
May 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Spirit Medium: Could be a cool Cultist, maybe a converted Witch? Also it should have the same message of a mystic.

Guys I'm not a witch. I'm the spirit medium...wait a sec...

Styx
May 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Bodyguard: It is basically a ´´Suicide`` role, true? Well... I dont know...

Because committing suicide to save a power role AND kill a Mafioso/SK is terrible :P

Mysterymeat
May 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I think all these role have the potential to be good, except for miller lol. I mean cmon, ppl hate masons and those can be very good and powerful. Now you add in a citizen which looks guilty? I mean everyone who gets that role is gonna leave. You can't do anything and town wants to kill you yay! Mafia has more than enough ways to dodge, except for janitor I think. Also this role would usually get lynched even if it was miller casue I mean he's just a cit and there's chance he could be mafia. Most ppl would just lynch him. So a role that everyone wants to kill basically.

Omgproberush
May 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I think all these role have the potential to be good, except for miller lol. I mean cmon, ppl hate masons and those can be very good and powerful. Now you add in a citizen which looks guilty? I mean everyone who gets that role is gonna leave. You can't do anything and town wants to kill you yay! Mafia has more than enough ways to dodge, except for janitor I think. Also this role would usually get lynched even if it was miller casue I mean he's just a cit and there's chance he could be mafia. Most ppl would just lynch him. So a role that everyone wants to kill basically.Yeah, well, for people who don't like game with a billion power roles, it'd add some variety to the weaker roles and cause some confusion amongst the town.

Nick
May 14th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Instead of Neutral-Evil or Neutral-Good, why not make Spirit Medium a Townie? People will also think twice of lynching a mystic.

Supersun
May 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Instead of Neutral-Evil or Neutral-Good, why not make Spirit Medium a Townie? People will also think twice of lynching a mystic.

Because then the mafia get screwed if a medium is in the game because as soon as one noob mafia dies someone might ask who the mafia are and the town steamrolls. With the cult at least all it really does is tell them who they shouldn't try to possess since iirc if a cult tries to convert a mafia the mafia kills that cult.

Not that it matters that much since hearing the dead isn't that special of a power since everyone and their mom skypes >.>

Nick
May 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Because committing suicide to save a power role AND kill a Mafioso/SK is terrible :P

Great satisfaction for those who love mano-a-mano confrontation ala Vig vs Mafia/SK shootout during endgame. Imagine the laughs if both Mafia and SK are targeting the person Bodyguard is protecting - DOUBLE KILL!

Facade
May 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
The cult would be really cool, but are there enough slots to have a functional town, mafia, and cult?

Footy
May 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I would love to see the "Jailer" introduced at some point, I don't think it would be too OP, as it wouldn't be able to act unless of course someone wasn't lynched during the day, it would be no more powerful than a random vigilante choosing to shoot someone.

It would add another dimension to a 3v3 situation, if the jailer was still up and no one is going to lynch anyone because the mafia have voting control at that point and wont lynch their own it would be great to see a Jailer turning the tide, selecting the Mafia's killing role and executing them in the night :p

I hope it becomes a possibility in the future!

Out of the current list so far, i'm hoping Bodyguard gets added next and Recruit.

thisismyname
May 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Just to clarify, the Miller role is basically just a nerf role for the Town, right? It appears to serve to handicap the town, right? Or am I missing something..

Don't really get the point of this.

Dark.Revenant
May 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Removed some roles from the list, locked the poll, and displayed my choices for the next version.

Zack
May 17th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Spirit Medium without the cult? :o

I see, so the other name for this role would be ... Troll. Unless it will be town-aligned? What will be the conditions for it?

Membrax
May 18th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Cannot wait to see them added. Bodyguard will be a powerful tool to balance setups in favour of town, and Silencer sounds like a lot of fun (if only for those pesky spammers ;D).

Spirit Medium without the cult? :o

Don't get it either.

Sarzael
May 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Cult will be added later, i think.
Ideas for making Recruit funnier:
If someone uses his special skill in the Recruit, he will become a Apprentice of that role, and the one who used the skill on him, a Master.
The master will be the same, but can speak whit the Recruit at night. (If is mafia, all the mafia will be able to speak the Recruit)
If the Recruit and the Master survives 3 nights, the Recruit will become the normal role.
Example: If a Escort roleblocks the Recruit, Recruit will become a Escort Apprentice, and after 3 days he will become a normal Escort.
The Master gets extra exp if the Apprentice completes the training, and even more exp if completes the training and after his new role Goal.
The recruit goal is to learn a role, but he gets extra exp if he afters complete is new goal.
If Master dies, the Apprentice becomes a normal recruit again.
If a Godfather takes a Recruit as Apprentice, the Apprentice will be a Mafioso Recruit.
But you will ask yourself: How to kill Recruit?
Well, the Recruit will die if attacked by SK, if burned by Arsonist, if lynched, or if attacked while already haves a master.

Zack
May 18th, 2011, 07:26 AM
lol, that would be kinda hard to implement won't it? ;o

Next add Jedi Master and Sith Lord. So they can make the recruit their apprentice! Then add Obi Wan and Darth Vader to the random names :p

On a more serious note, making recruit choose a master randomly on first night, that could be interesting. On the following conditions: Possible masters will be - Godfather, Sheriff, Investigator, Witch, Survivor, Jester, Spy, Doctor, Mason and Bus Driver. Any other mafia member, serial killer or arsonist will kill the recruit instead. If the recruit fails to decide on a master (getting roleblocked counts as fail), or selects a town role other than the ones mentioned, he will instantly become a citizen.

When successfully choosing a master the recruit will normally become the master's role after the 3rd night, thats if both recruit and master are alive at the time. If the master dies too soon the recruit becomes a citizen. In the case of a Mason the recruit will instantly become a Mason after the first night. In the case of the godfather, the recruit's role will be Consigliere (after the 3rd night).

The master will be informed he has an apprentice, but the recruit will be annonymus to his master, no night-chat between them. If PMs are on the recruit could opt to use them to inform his master of his identity. The recruit won't know the master's role until his role finally changes. Its entirely possible that the master will get the recruit killed :p

Recruit in this case should be a non-killing neutral role, and only one recruit can be in play. Think of it as a more interesting way to add a Random Any role, heh.

Sarzael
May 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I dont really like ur idea, since is the master who takes a recruit, not the recruit who takes a master.
I like more my idea, but im not saying your one is a bad one.

Trenix
May 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'm unable to re-vote? Not fair...

vileguy
May 20th, 2011, 04:44 AM
A delayed reply to some comments that recruit imbalances the game:
A recruit is kinda like a survivor with a special vest. If they survive as town, they win. If they mafia try to hit them, they get a second chance. Recruits could try to actively be recruited to mafia, but what's the point? They could be killed by a SK or arson either way, and if they get recruited and it changes their inspect text, that means they're more likely to be lynched. If they do get recruited, town loses some power, but no more than if the recruit had just died. The only difference here is that the mafia has gained 1 vote for lynching. The recruit can't kill people if he's alone and he can't use any powers to help the mafia, he just doesn't die to them and could vote for them.

Now giving the mafia 4 votes, or even 1 extra late into the game, can be really powerful. The situation where mafia controls the daytime is pretty much the end, so helping that is a little unbalancing, but it's hard to fix this for recruit. Making his vote not count would make it obvious he's a recruit, and changing the number of votes needed wouldn't fix the team balance. I think it might be fair to restrict him completely from voting both for trials and for verdicts, even though this would make people suspicious of him, it's better than him being a dead civilian. Stuff for us to think about.

Dark.Revenant
May 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM
Poll reopened.

wightsnow
May 23rd, 2011, 02:21 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Seer/ Spirit caller was to be implemented. Does anyone know when that is or did it happen and I haven't seen it yet?

Membrax
May 23rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
woot!
DISGUISER! DISGUISER! DISGUISER! DISGUISER!

PS: DISGUISER!

aguy999
May 23rd, 2011, 03:08 AM
When the Disguiser kills do the Mafia also get to shoot someone else that night?

I would hope not, the Mafia getting 2 kills in one night plus the replacement would be extremely overpowered.

Although I like the idea in theory, I think once a known Invest/Sheriff gets replaced its pretty much GG town under most scenarios.

Zack
May 23rd, 2011, 03:57 AM
For balance reasons I suggest you give the investigator the ability to detect a disguiser even in disguise. So if the disguiser is Sheriff then investi will get "Target patrols streets at night, but something seems off..."

Also a question, disguiser taking position means the disguiser get the role and its abilities? Or does he just appear to be that role, without the abilties? I would assume the latter, but correct me if i'm wrong..

Edit: Another question, when the disguiser shifts into his new position, what happens to his "former self"? :o

Also, I have an idea about Mason Leader and recruitment into the Masons, if you decide to add this.

When Masons recruit a new member, the person will keep his current role! In Mason night chat he will appear as an Ally of the Masons and will talk with them but his role in brackets will appear as (???). Masons can recruit anyone who isn't mafia, this includes survivors, arsonists, serial killers, witches and even jesters. Meaning the Masons can have an "Ally" who isn't really an ally :P

Just a thought.

Oh and if Masons try to recruit a Mafia then all original Masons die, but the recruited people stay alive - except the Mason order is disbanded and they can no longer chat at night.

Nick
May 23rd, 2011, 04:35 AM
For Executioner, maybe make it so that will win if a sufficient number of people are lynched? Number of people to be lynched depends on number of players.

Zack
May 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
hm, funny idea.

Executioner's victory goal: Actively lynch a Jester or, if there is no Jester alive, a Witch during the game - means vote guilty on their trial.
Ability: Will be the one to commit suicide when a Jester is lynched, instead of anyone else. Will also commit suicide after lynching a Witch.
Note: If there is a Jester, he must lynch the Jester. Lynching a Witch is only an option if there are no living Jesters.

Just ideas you know, I don't know if I even really like this over the original role's design myself, heh.

Deolrin
May 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
What if there are no jesters or witches?
I prefer the original, to be honest. :P

Faceless
May 23rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I voted for Mayor, Jailer, Disguiser, and Executioner.

Mayor and Jailer are both amazing roles with tons of potential and could add a lot to the game. It'd also be pretty epic for a Mayor to stop a lynch with 1 second on the clock. Jailer would be like a less annoying vigilante, I think. It'd also be incredibly fun to play, due to the fact that you can pretty much interrogate the guy before killing him.

Disguiser would be the most fun mafia role hands down. It would also give mafia a way to counter the ever-so-popular "IM SHERIFF PLZ WORSHIP ME" types of people.

Executioner would be a ton of fun to play. A role who just wants to get one person killed. They would have to analyze that person all game, and fool everyone into getting that person killed.

Membrax
May 24th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I voted for Mayor, Jailer, Disguiser, and Executioner.

Mayor and Jailer are both amazing roles with tons of potential and could add a lot to the game. It'd also be pretty epic for a Mayor to stop a lynch with 1 second on the clock. Jailer would be like a less annoying vigilante, I think. It'd also be incredibly fun to play, due to the fact that you can pretty much interrogate the guy before killing him.

Disguiser would be the most fun mafia role hands down. It would also give mafia a way to counter the ever-so-popular "IM SHERIFF PLZ WORSHIP ME" types of people.

Executioner would be a ton of fun to play. A role who just wants to get one person killed. They would have to analyze that person all game, and fool everyone into getting that person killed.

Ok, this gonna be quick. I made the exact same choices, for the exact same reasons 8)

Jailer and Disguiser sound retardly fun and have a lot of strategic potential.
Mayor and Executioner/Lyncher are great suggestions too.
I've to say I'm really eager to see those new additions :)

Teckman
May 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM
mason leader

thisismyname
May 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
My choices:

Mayor - Role would be an effective anti-noob tool; unfortunately also a devastating noob or troll weapon.
Jailer - Role is great as it will really force the arrested mafia to think and make up a role.
Disguiser - Love this role. Has to be in the game. A great Disguiser could troll the Town to shame and it would be hilarious.
Mason Leader - Needed just to encourage people to use Masons more often.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't like the Executioner. The Jester is enough for this type of role.

Auckmid
May 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
My choices
Mayor-Can help slow the game town and prevent mafia from gaining complete dominince in games with 2 few townies
Jailer-Sounds AMAZINGLY FUN. Only problem is its another killing role :'(
Disguiser-Another role which sounds like alot of fun
Cultist-I still havnt seen sighns of the "Spirit Medium", and i think that cultist is required to make that role effective

Executioner sounds like it could be fun, but could rearly make thinks difficult for town, and what happens to executioner when target is killed? :-\

Krismighty
May 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,438.0.html
Please add this role, it would be easy to implement and quite interesting.
It seems liek a better version of executioner.

Dark.Revenant
May 24th, 2011, 04:45 PM
That's exactly the same thing, Kris.

Clawtrocity
May 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
OMG THE DISGUISER!$*@$&$

Wouldn't the name cheat be able to screw that person over though?...I dunno sounds like a great time to spend countless hours on color changes! lol

The jailor sounds amazing, the disguiser IS amazing bar the color change and I choose executioner and mayor. They both add another element to the game and that's all this game needs is more elements.

Krismighty
May 24th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I really like the disguiser. The executive too. These 2 should be added for sure

Dark.Revenant
May 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Well, considering that I'm pretty much fucked either way, I might as well add as much into Mafia as possible until my life gets ruined. Yay!

wightsnow
May 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Well, considering that I'm pretty much fucked either way, I might as well add as much into Mafia as possible until my life gets ruined. Yay!

awww.... sad day

Dark.Revenant
May 24th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I finished the extensive, boring recoding procedure to eliminate the alt-enter exploit. I'm already out of energy. I haven't even started the eight (nine if you include the random i have to throw in) roles.

tearshed
May 25th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I have a suggestion. This may be a bit of a big ask?

Since the amount of roles is building quite high, some people won't be a fan of all roles. Could there be a new option for each role during setup to 'exclude from random'?

I can sort of do it myself already using power/support excluding from basic/advanced randoms, but with the new roles coming in I'm afraid I'll catch wanted roles in the filters.

Dark.Revenant
May 25th, 2011, 02:06 AM
If you hate some roles that much:

1. Having it in the random makes random more exciting, due to the "risk" involved.

2. If you really hate it, make a non-random setup.

To say that a specific exclusion system would be difficult to code is an understatement.

Logante
May 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM
How about an impersonator? 1-3 times a game he can appear as the role of his target (doesn't kill, doesn't steal abilities or names). Only Sheriff can see through the false identity.

If he switches a few times, he could even claim that he's being framed.

Zack
May 25th, 2011, 07:27 AM
The above person is an example of someone who doesn't read :P

Look at Disguiser, its even in the poll at the top of this thread.

Logante
May 25th, 2011, 07:33 AM
The above person is an example of someone who doesn't read :P

Look at Disguiser, its even in the poll at the top of this thread.

and you're an example of someone who doesn't even bother to read a post before replying to it. There's a pretty vast difference between disguiser and impersonator. One KILLS to take a complete identity. I think this could be too easily trolled. Instead, I offer impersonator, which has more times to use his ability (more than once), but simply takes the appearance of a role, not the entire person.

Back on topic before the troll interruption, I believe Spirit Medium would be unbalancing. Taking someone out of the game should do just that...take them out of the game. People who are dead have way too much knowledge. People spill the beans about their team mates after death and have an open forum on exactly how the game is going behind the scenes. If you allow even one person to speak from that open forum to live players, then you're effectively removing what makes Mafia great...uncertainty and mystery.

The only way a spirit medium would work (even though at a HUGE risk of destroying game balance) is if they only would win if being the last man standing. If they were inclined to help a specific side, then the shakey floor of game balance when ever considering this class would just flat out crumble.

On top of that, being in the dead pool, it's nice to relax post-active-game and see how everything is unraveling without having to worry about "roleplaying" more to trick a player still active in the game that may or may not even exist(random). The dead pool is an important social part of the game when you show all your cards and just chill out. Adding this class would remove that aspect and people would still need their guard up.

If a Spirit Medium MUST be added, then having them not have access to dead chat, but instead, every night, they can choose one dead person to "listen to" the following day.

Mayor (Can reveal self and override an execution (during last words) X amount of times)
Very interesting twist! Powerful if the Sheriff is known. The only problem is having a poor Mayor (ie a new player) or a game troll. If a troll, they could pretty much guarantee their "buddies'" team would not be lynched. 3 saves = 3 kills. Perhaps somehow think of a way for citizens to have pull somehow?

Jailer (Can use a chat command at day to jail someone, whom he can anonymously talk with and optionally kill, X amount of times)
Throwing this out there. Instead of being a killing role during a jailing, what if he has the option to force a trial on a person for his limited count ability? Will a jailed person be roleblocked?

Disguiser (Kills and steals someone's identity (name, color, position, etc change) once per game)
I love the idea. Potentially trollable. How about give them 1-3 uses on the ability but it lets them appear as ONLY the role of the targeted person. Not a killing role. ie the Mafia determines that Joe Bob is a Sheriff. A janitor scrubs him, the Disguiser takes the Sheriffs disguise, they kill the real Sheriff, and when investigators investigate the disguiser, they think he's the Sheriff.

Cult Leader and Cultist (Recruits people into the cult) and (Votes for recruiting people into the cult; killed by Masons)
Finally gives Masons an active role. Interesting idea. Would a cult allow everyone to potentially join? This could end up just causing more confusion than anything. Mafia already has a team chat. Masons have a team chat. Third Party classes are designed to be stand alone. Having another team chat on top of that would get a bit messy.

Mason Leader (Can try to recruit a limited amount of people into the Masons)
The strength in masons is that they have a guarantee who their allies are. If you add the possibility of having non-townies in the group, that strength is effectively removed from the game and they are merely citizens. Does this mean they could only invite townies? Mason Leader then could randomly pick people until it "works" and have guarantees who is a townie.

Recruit (Becomes Mafioso if the Mafia try to kill him)
Pretty much a third party filler player unless the Mafia gets to him. Potentially adds to Mafia numbers. Results in being a wasted turn for Townies if they get to him early, and results in "catching up" to balance the playing field if he's turned to the Mafia.

Executioner (Wants to lynch a particular person, suicides if that person dies at night or optionally becomes jester instead maybe?)
I'd say becomes like a jester, but rename it to something like "Depressed Executioner" or something so we can tell a difference. Full points for succeeding in his role and suriving at the end. Half points if succeeds but gets killed. Quarter points if fails but gets lynched. Minimal points if killed at night or survives to the end.

Spirit Medium
See above

Deolrin
May 25th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Back on topic before the troll interruption, I believe Spirit Medium would be unbalancing. Taking someone out of the game should do just that...take them out of the game. People who are dead have way too much knowledge. People spill the beans about their team mates after death and have an open forum on exactly how the game is going behind the scenes. If you allow even one person to speak from that open forum to live players, then you're effectively removing what makes Mafia great...uncertainty and mystery.
That's why Spirit Mediums are part of the Cult.
They won't be using the knowledge they gain from the dead to lynch the evil guys or to shoot the sheriff, they'll use it to convert crucial figures into their cult.

Zack
May 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Your role suggestion is far too similar to Disguiser to be a diffrent role. You simply suggested a diffrent way to go about implementing it, which in my opinion is overpowered. The Disguiser in quetion takes the identity of the mafia's target that night when he chooses to, and he can only do this once per game.

You should properly explain yourself to avoid misunderstandings, instead of calling people trolls o.o

As for the Spirit Medium, considering Skype, parties and lag-window chat I hardly think it will unbalance the game. People already know to be careful not to reveal anything as ghosts, when i'm mafia and I die I never rat out my pals even in death-chat, I keep lying.

Relaxing as town? Not possible, more like you'd be watching anxiously to see if your last will or your last action did anything to help the town win. Only neutrals would be able to relax in death, since they had no allies to begin with. Spirit Medium will hardly change anything ;o

Logante
May 25th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Made a general update in my post above.

Logante
May 25th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Your role suggestion is far too similar to Disguiser to be a diffrent role. You simply suggested a diffrent way to go about implementing it, which in my opinion is overpowered. The Disguiser in quetion takes the identity of the mafia's target that night when he chooses to, and he can only do this once per game.

You should properly explain yourself to avoid misunderstandings, instead of calling people trolls o.o

As for the Spirit Medium, considering Skype, parties and lag-window chat I hardly think it will unbalance the game. People already know to be careful not to reveal anything as ghosts, when i'm mafia and I die I never rat out my pals even in death-chat, I keep lying.

Relaxing as town? Not possible, more like you'd be watching anxiously to see if your last will or your last action did anything to help the town win. Only neutrals would be able to relax in death, since they had no allies to begin with. Spirit Medium will hardly change anything ;o

Problem #1:
If there's a "new" team of cultists, then town would be unlikely to ever win. Town has numbers, and they need it to win. They are the side that doesn't know who is who. On top of that, many of their numbers are weak roles such as citizens, bus drivers, and so on. If those spots get filled in by a third party cultist side, then the town's only real advantage is diminished...numbers.

Problem #2:
Disguisers that take the entire identity of a person, as opposed to just a role (but Sheriff detectable), would make investigations much more weak. What's the point of investigating someone when at any moment that investigation could instantly be made null if that person is "replaced" by a disguiser? The only real use of investigations would then be insta-lynching the morning after. Investigations are already unreliable...but town depends on them. It's their only real strength. They can already be fooled by framers or GF or "possibilities" [ie could be doctor or serial killer]. If you throw in a disguiser, then anyone could be anything as all investigations are now nullified.

Problem #3:
On nearly every deadpool discussion, people spill the beans who was on their team. Whether it's smart to do that or not, the fact is that it happens. It's the post-game. If someone can read that, then gg for anyone but the spirit medium. If it absolutely must be in the game, perhaps don't give them access to chat, but allow them to choose one person a night to "listen to" the next day.

Zack
May 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Well, if the cult is not added, then perhaps the Witch and Spirit Medium would be a duo-faction. Meaning all witches and spirit mediums in the game can see who each other is and talk with each other at night. In such a case there should be only 1 spirit medium possible in the setup (similar to GF), but it would be possible to have more than one witch.

And here comes the conflict: The spirit medium wants to see the mafia lose, the witch wants to see the town lose. So they are both allies and rivals, they could cooperate to have everyone die but themselves, in which case they'l get more points. Or one could sell the other out for an easy win :P

Spirit Medium changed ability: Will have 2 buttons on self, one is to initiate conversation with the dead starting from the night sequence until the end of the discussion timer the next day - spirit medium's chat will go to the dead-chat instead of the living chat, and will resume to the living-chat once discussion time is over. SM will only see dead-chat during the time of conversing with the dead, and will cease to see it afterwards. The second button will be to send the SM into the spirit world, there SM will be protected from death but will be unable to speak or even see any chat until the next night begins, this means SM won't be able to talk at all during the following day and won't be able to vote for lynching - this may result in getting lynched and dying anyway so its a considerable risk.

Ideas o.o

With Disguiser investigations won't be nullified, if sheriff checks a now-disguised person he will get Mafia result. Investigator will get the replaced role's description with an extra: "But something seems diffrent..." <- means investi will be able to pinpoint disguisers. At least, this is the kind of balance for Disguiser I would like to see, not sure what DR will actually do...

Auckmid
May 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Cultist, mason, jailer, executioner, mayor, discuiser and spirit medium r all going to be added next patch
Other then my slight issue with executioner, I love all these rolls. Going to be sick :P

Dark.Revenant
May 25th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I've decided to make the Mayor have infinite charges but have 2, 3, or 4 votes in his name when he votes (chat command to activate this power). If he votes this way, it reveals his identity.

The Mason Leader can only convert citizens and has 1, 2, 3, 4, or infinite charges.

Clawtrocity
May 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM
A public role display is pretty strong. At least when an investigator starts claiming stuff people could be like "Well he might be consig"

Unless there is a mafia role that can do the same thing I'm not quite sure I like this unless I'm reading into it the wrong way.

Dark.Revenant
May 25th, 2011, 11:17 PM
An undetectable Mayor is very bad.

Clawtrocity
May 25th, 2011, 11:26 PM
But is this vote something he does to put someone trial or to say guilty/innocent?

Like he could go "LOOK AT THE VOTE I AM CLEARLY MAYOR HEAL ME"

It's just something no other role can do. Invest, Doctors, and Sheriffs can all speak up, but they can't prove they are something.

wightsnow
May 25th, 2011, 11:39 PM
But is this vote something he does to put someone trial or to say guilty/innocent?

Like he could go "LOOK AT THE VOTE I AM CLEARLY MAYOR HEAL ME"

It's just something no other role can do. Invest, Doctors, and Sheriffs can all speak up, but they can't prove they are something.

Disguiser would nullify that

Clawtrocity
May 25th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Yep. Nevermind. Forget everything I have said I just want a code to make me Disguiser every game for the rest of my life pl0x

Dark.Revenant
May 25th, 2011, 11:46 PM
There can only be one Mayor, and he's a VERY powerful role, and also a HUGE target.

Also, I've decided to wait 'till the next round for the cult roles. It's just too much fucking work to add each role.

wightsnow
May 26th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Yep. Nevermind. Forget everything I have said I just want a code to make me Disguiser every game for the rest of my life pl0x

I didn't mean every time ever : P. Okay, so he'd act as a cleared town in some cases. At that point, he's kind of like 2 citizens b/c he's practically immune with 2 votes, but he drains the doc (unless the doc is playing head games).

Auckmid
May 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Very excited for patch 1.55 :) , but does anyone know when its going to come into effect???

North Star
May 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
We are on 1.54 now, right?

Auckmid
May 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Yep

Tony Montana
May 29th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I think you should not add the spirit medium, because that would be way OP. People are already skyping each other just to know who's who, if they had something where a living person could talk to the dead it would be a little ridiculous.

wightsnow
May 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I think you should not add the spirit medium, because that would be way OP. People are already skyping each other just to know who's who, if they had something where a living person could talk to the dead it would be a little ridiculous.

Your comment doesn't logically follow. It would actually put all of us slightly closer to being on par with the people skyping.

DR, looks like you have your work cut out for you with all those roles.

Dark.Revenant
May 30th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Those 5 roles, along with all the other stuff I added, fixed, changed, and am now testing, clocked to over 50 hours. Expect a release within a few hours, depending on region.

Sarzael
June 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Ok, we are getting that patch now?

Logante
June 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM

Your comment doesn't logically follow. It would actually put all of us slightly closer to being on par with the people skyping.

That's kind of like saying cheating is a good way to combat cheating.

wightsnow
June 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM

That's kind of like saying cheating is a good way to combat cheating.

Would you say the same thing if the role coroner was about to be implemented? He gets to know the dead's role after they have been cleaned and only dead people or skypers knew that before.

It's obviously nothing close to cheating to combat cheating because it's a change in mechanics and only 1 person gets that ability and people can lie about having the ability and all the other deception that goes into Mafia.

Sarzael
June 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
I think dead people should be anymous to the Spirit Medium, that way a dead mafia can use him for kill townies :D

Auckmid
June 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I like all of the roles exept for veteran, as he can end up killing sherif 1st night and hurt the town more then he helps it

Zack
June 5th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Miller is worthless, Veteran is too risky for Town to be a townie, Recruit can completely unbalance the game if he is included in randoms.

So the only roles to be truly expected now are the Cult and Spirit Medium. You can skip those other 3 roles DR, less work too :P

Well, Recruit is technically ok, if people understand they need to balance the game if they add one to the setup... I say he should be automatically excluded from all randoms, so he could only be directly added.

Mysterymeat
June 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I think not all these roles are worth putting in. Miller for example would not be a good one. I mean everyone in pubs want power roles and leave if they even get cit. I'm fine with cit, but this role is taking it a bit far. A useless townie that auto helps the mafia by creating confusion and possibly a mislynch? All u can do is sit bak and watch yourself get lynched. I think all the cult roles would be good and maybe veteran. Recuit would be kinda op to me it seems cause he basically won't die if att at night by mafia and he can still win with town. It would be very hard for sheriff to double-check everyone to make sure they aren't recruit changed to mafia and if mafia is going to win at the end and hits him he auto wins as well.

Styx
June 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I think the Veteran would be a great role, anything that requires more care for night roles rather than just randomly targeting like a lot of pubs do is a good thing.

It works well in its rendition on EpicMafia and I'd like to see it here too.

FalseTruth
June 5th, 2011, 09:21 PM
No. Veteran is op. Think of it as a self-targeting bodyguard and you will see why. Veteran can just reveal himself day 1, and know one will lynch or attack him.

wightsnow
June 5th, 2011, 09:41 PM
No. Veteran is op. Think of it as a self-targeting bodyguard and you will see why. Veteran can just reveal himself day 1, and know one will lynch or attack him.

So the mafia and SK won't kill themselves on him, or the mafia can false claim veteran and never be investigated on it b/c the investigators and sheriffs would avoid suiciding on him. Or the witch can force people to target him and destroy the town that way. I don't think you've spent enough time considering the full impact.

Deolrin
June 5th, 2011, 10:23 PM
...Or the Sheriff\Investigator will check him, coupled with a Mafia kill, a SK kill\Arsonist douse, coupled with Random Vigilante shots... That could be rather devastating for night 1.

wightsnow
June 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Vigil can't shoot first night anymore

Membrax
June 6th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Miller is worthless, Veteran is too risky for Town to be a townie, Recruit can completely unbalance the game if he is included in randoms.

Agree on that. However I've mixed feelings for Veteran since it works pretty well on Epic, so it's definitely viable. But public games are so random and hectic that it could backfire a lot.

Miller and Recruit are awful roles, IMO.
Miller would raise the ragequit rate to a cosmic level, considering people already hate the perfectly fine (and canon) Citizen role. It does exist in Epic, but it's also part of the cop strategies with sane/insane/paranoid cops which isn't implemented here.

Recruit is even worst, and only makes sense if not included in random since it would ruin balance hardcore. Really dislike this role, I'd rather see Traitor being implemented:
http://wiki.epicmafia.com/index.php?title=Traitor

Sarzael
June 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Miller sucks!
Good for crazy theories!

Goonswarm
June 7th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Tbh I feel the game is good where it is atm. I really like veteran as it is a role that can be a double edged sword. It also gives GF a great fallback if attacked by vigilante when immune. Really the only role I would like to see added is Veteran. Everything else seems too "meh".

Clawtrocity
June 7th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Except the vigilante would be dead if he attacked a veteran. The GF has the citizen vest and the survivor vest to fall back on.

Goonswarm
June 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Except the vigilante would be dead if he attacked a veteran. The GF has the citizen vest and the survivor vest to fall back on.

The way I look at it is that his shots would determine if he could retaliate and kill back. He would just have passive immunity like the GF. He should also investigate as "A leader among men" for the GF's sake imo.

CyanBlade
June 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM
All the green roles suck.
cultists seam cool (i take it only works on citizens) thing is, its the same problem with mason leaders, there just arnt enough player slots to be able to add the cultists and citzens to the game needed for it to be viable for the metagame.
also im intrigued how the spirt medium would work? what would be it's goal? and how would it be useful? all it could find out is what someone was killed by (which people already know about from death descriptions) and what info they had before they died (which if they were smart they would have in a will).
Basicly I don't think any of these roles would work, but i think the cultist are cool.

adrodicus
June 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Spirit medium could be usefull, but should only be able to talk to one deceased person each night. it limits the amount of info he can get.

Recruit could be good to as a random role, but not a town alignment.

Deolrin
June 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
(i take it only works on citizens)
OF COURSE not. :S

Sarzael
June 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
All the green roles suck.
cultists seam cool (i take it only works on citizens) thing is, its the same problem with mason leaders, there just arnt enough player slots to be able to add the cultists and citzens to the game needed for it to be viable for the metagame.
also im intrigued how the spirt medium would work? what would be it's goal? and how would it be useful? all it could find out is what someone was killed by (which people already know about from death descriptions) and what info they had before they died (which if they were smart they would have in a will).
Basicly I don't think any of these roles would work, but i think the cultist are cool.

Cultists recruit ANY role, not simply citizens, like masons does... LEARN TO READ!!!

wightsnow
June 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Janitor

Sarzael
June 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
CyanBlade: SPIRIT MEDIUM IS PART OF CULTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

Inca_Killa
June 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Spirit medium could be usefull, but should only be able to talk to one deceased person each night. it limits the amount of info he can get.

Recruit could be good to as a random role, but not a town alignment.

Spirit Medium would be OP. When mafia die its not usual to tell everyone who mafia is, etc. which would be OP.

Computer
June 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I think the roles that are here already are enough no points in more. Plus some roles like spirit medium is vunerable to trolling. Since they are dead they dont care what they say, plus for example if gf dies and say in hell chat that X adn Y are the other 2 mafia, and its a total lie, then they going to get innocent people killed.

I think instead of adding roles, add more of other content like models and hats, maybe shirts, and colors or auras.

Inca_Killa
June 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I think the roles that are here already are enough no points in more. Plus some roles like spirit medium is vunerable to trolling. Since they are dead they dont care what they say, plus for example if gf dies and say in hell chat that X adn Y are the other 2 mafia, and its a total lie, then they going to get innocent people killed.

I think instead of adding roles, add more of other content like models and hats, maybe shirts, and colors or auras.

New roles are always good, they add more depth + Fun to the game.

Just not ones that are so exploitable...

I also agree there's not really enough slots for Cultists, since they are against masons and thats 2 slots reserved(or 1 if mason leader) and would just be meh.

GhepITA
June 19th, 2011, 05:04 AM
good new roles!!!

Elixir
June 19th, 2011, 06:16 AM

I also agree there's not really enough slots for Cultists, since they are against masons and thats 2 slots reserved(or 1 if mason leader) and would just be meh.

Maybe not in regular custom play, but you dont often see Coroners in normal play either.

There could be a variant that features a cult v mason like rivalry known as Holy Wars or Crusaders with Masons, Citizens, Cultists and neutrals.

Inca_Killa
June 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM

Maybe not in regular custom play, but you dont often see Coroners in normal play either.

There could be a variant that features a cult v mason like rivalry known as Holy Wars or Crusaders with Masons, Citizens, Cultists and neutrals.

Could be fun, but keep in mind a regular, always useful role will get played a lot more and thus be worth more of DR's time.

What do I know though, any new roles are welcome!

Dark.Revenant
June 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Poll reopened, the roles I am considering right now are up, and I modified the cult significantly. I decided against spirit medium for a lot of reasons.

FalseTruth
June 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I think you made the right choice to decide against spirit medium, however the other roles you have lined up aren't exactly interesting. They will work, yes, but I feel that other ideas deserve priority and should be rewarded for creativity.

I suggest you look through these roles and reconsider.

http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,804.0.html

AdmiralCain
June 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I REALLY like the veteran role. Because currently, mafia always kills the people who seem to be smart or talk a lot and give the town good advice. A veteran could speak to the town without fear of being targeted (actually, with the HOPE that he/she is targeted).

FalseTruth
June 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I REALLY like the veteran role. Because currently, mafia always kills the people who seem to be smart or talk a lot and give the town good advice. A veteran could speak to the town without fear of being targeted (actually, with the HOPE that he/she is targeted).

There are already disadvantages to targetting players who talk a lot. We have docs AND bgs, I don't see why we need to keep adding protecting roles.

What we need for the game in the next patch is a sheriff buff and a neutral who wants town to win. I have already suggested we add the Hitman or the Changeling to counter the witch.

See my previous post for more info.

thisismyname
June 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I have to say that adding the Veteran is a very bad idea. It is horribly overpowered. Mafia may never win a game again if this role is added. Seriously, the Veteran will RUIN this game...

Think about it, the Mafia have virtually no way to take this guy down, other than tricking the town to lynch. Also, the Veteran could claim to be Doc the first day and get the Mafia to suicide the next night. This makes it too hard for Mafia to strategize and too afraid to take down important power roles, which is essential to victory.

And, I agree with the other poster in that Town already has enough healing and support roles anyway.

Elixir
June 19th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Amnesiac (Becomes a role from the graveyard once, including all powers and winning goal - loses if he dies or game ends before "remembering" his role)

Just putting comments on the 3 I voted for.

I really like the idea of this role. Cult aligned or neutral?

Tracker (Learns who the targeted player visits at night)

I was thinking about a role like this the other day. See who targets who to see if that person is really a doctor.. or if that person is really killing... or if that survivor really does stay at home.

Inductor (Can sacrifice himself to convert any role to Mafioso)

Interesting... So this person dies, and another player joins the mafia. Does it work like a kill so immunities and doctors can prevent it? If a Bus Driver swaps the intended target with a GF or Consig you lose that class?