PDA

View Full Version : Lunavium's Bite-Sized Lateral Puzzle #1

Luna
November 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Thought I should get a taste of this action. Not going to get too heavy, just a simple puzzle or two. As usual, Yes or No questions can be asked for clues, but only if I feel it's necessary - I think some of you will probably see the answers immediately anyway.

Alright, let's get started;

A man was challenged to go around the world in a ship, yet always stay in sight of land. He succeeded, but how?

Dust
November 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Spaceship. that was easy.

Luna
November 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
These easy puzzles will be the building blocks to a brighter and convoluted future!

Puzzle #2 then:

Jacob was sailing in the ocean when he came across an abandoned Yacht. Corpses were floating around it. What happened?

Dust
November 22nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
They went to swim but their weight on the boat kept the ladder close to the water so they couldn't get back up and they drowned.

Ubernox
November 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Were the corpses mutilated much? Any clues as to the cause of death?

Dust
November 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
ubernox, when they went to swim the ladder was right at the perfect level. They went into the water and the ladder moved up because the boat didn't have their weight anymore. They drowned because they couldn't get back in. Sorry if that was not clear

Luna
November 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Dust basically has the answer, it's a classic puzzle, they forgot to put out the ladder before they dived overboard for a swim.

Still on the bunny slopes, another quick one before I head off to bed - I'm assuming Dust will have answered it by the morning.

Puzzle #3:

Two rival executives at a car firm are at a lawyer's office, having their deceased bosses last will read to them. Their boss had decided the future of the company would be decided by a race; each of the executives must drive from their headquarters in New York to a factory in Philadelphia. The executive whose car arrives last will win.

Puzzled, they both mull this idea over in the office. Together, they ask another employee for advice. Upon hearing his words, they both rush off towards their cars and begin driving to Philadelphia. What was the advice the other employee gave them?

Dust
November 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Only their car counts. They switched cars. That was easy. Give me a challenge next time...

Dust
November 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
I feel like I'm digging myself a grave in FM by knocking these out one by one... I should stop, but I won't because this is too fun.

Luna
November 23rd, 2011, 03:18 AM
Correct, obviously. Still on the easy ones :)

Puzzle #4:

Alan and Marie are walking along next to each other when Marie steps in a hole. Alan then proceeds to shoot Marie. Why?

CmG
November 23rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Marie is a horse!

Ubernox
November 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
I should stop but I won't because this is too fun.

Famous last words.

Luna
November 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Marie is a horse!

Correct!

CmG
November 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
next next! xD

Luna
November 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hmm let's see, here's one I remember;

A man takes the train from Liverpool to London. He returns later that day on the same train, but halfway through the journey jumps out of his seat, shrieking, and jumps off the train killing himself. Why?

CmG
November 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
fears a traincrash? dunno :/ dumb german no understand no understand :(

Luna
November 23rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
No he does not fear a traincrash :)

CmG
November 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
well for me it sounds like he drives into the wrong direction. didnt find the trick ... have to think have to think!

Luna
November 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Well I'm off to bed now, will answer any questions in the morning should they arise

wolfcheese
November 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Did the train get set on fire? :/ Or someone was armed and shooting everyone?

CmG
November 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
i bet its simple somehow. who says its a standart train? Or maybe he realised that it sucks being british and killed himself :-P

Dark.Revenant
November 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
He was clearly on the train. As in literally on top of the train, or hanging on its side or front/back. When he jumped up, the wind caught him, he lost balance, he shrieked, and fell off to his death.

CmG
November 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM
If that is the case the language barrier got me.

TheWaaagh
November 24th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Did he sabotage the train, not realizing that he would end up riding it on the way back? Other than that, I got nothing.

Luna
November 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM
No to all of the above

Consider the reasons for his journey

CmG
November 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
well if i hear Liverpool and London in one sentence i have to think about the Beatles and thats it.

TheWaaagh
November 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
well if i hear Liverpool and London in one sentence i have to think about the Beatles and thats it.

It would be hilarious if the man was that guy that used to be in the band but left. Then he heard the beetles music on the train and freaked out realizing they'd made it without him.

wolfcheese
November 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM
A few intermediate questions are in order...

Was he traveling to London for business?
Was he traveling to London for pleasure (ex. to meet up with someone)?
Was he traveling to London for less than legal reasons?
Did he travel to London alone?
Did he travel from London alone?
Did he communicate to anyone while on the train?

Sumikoko
November 24th, 2011, 01:33 PM
They went to swim but their weight on the boat kept the ladder close to the water so they couldn't get back up and they drowned.

I'm not gonna lie. This made my day. Hehe. Sumi is amused.

As for the current puzzle, maybe another nuance of grammar? As in, he literally "took" the train, as in stealing it by way of hijacking? And then the police caught up with him in which case he committed suicide? Or maybe he stole it and realized he got on the wrong train and what he wanted to steal was still in the other train?

Hrmm...

Luna
November 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
A few intermediate questions are in order...

Was he traveling to London for business?
Was he traveling to London for pleasure (ex. to meet up with someone)?
Was he traveling to London for less than legal reasons?
Did he travel to London alone?
Did he travel from London alone?
Did he communicate to anyone while on the train?

Yes and Yes, Business and Pleasure
No, nothing illegal
Yes
Yes
No

Luna
November 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
No nothing like that Sumi :)

CmG
November 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Either he got hypnotized or his cult leader died xD

Ubernox
November 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
cult leader died xD

I'm gonna go with this. Either that or he lynched the Jester while in London.

TheWaaagh
November 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Oh I heard a similar one to do this about a no smoking section, so I'll see if you made changes to make this the answer:

Did he go to London to get his eyes fixed so he wouldn't be blind anymore? Then, on the way back he went through a tunnel and freaked out, thinking he'd lost his sight again?

Ganondorf
November 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM
He saw something shiny on the ground next to the tracks and got overexcited because he is OCD ;D

Luna
November 24th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Oh I heard a similar one to do this about a no smoking section, so I'll see if you made changes to make this the answer:

Did he go to London to get his eyes fixed so he wouldn't be blind anymore? Then, on the way back he went through a tunnel and freaked out, thinking he'd lost his sight again?

Correct! I haven't heard a variation about a No Smoking section, but you're on the money :)

CmG
November 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Oh now THAT was easy!......... xD

TheWaaagh
November 24th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ah nice, yeah the one I heard was that if there were no smokers, he would have freaked out and died. The idea being that once he was in the tunnel he would've thought he was blind, except he saw the embers off people's cigarettes and realized it was just a tunnel. Without the mentioning of smokers I was stumped since yours is essentially a much darker version of that story, ha.

Luna
November 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Been a while since you could smoke on trains ^^ I think it would've been harder that way anyway, what would the story have been? "A dude mildly panicked whilst on a train, folks. Why?"

TheWaaagh
November 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
The puzzle is similar except it's "A man was going by train from A to B. On the return trip to A, sitting in the smoking section saved his life. Why?"

It's just a happier ending for the fictional man this way.