PDA

View Full Version : If is possible traslate the Mafia Game in other languages?

GhepITA
May 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
It is an idea! I'm italian...there are some italians that play this game.

I wanna help you for the translate... ispossible?

Deolrin
May 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM
If you understand proper English, why would you even want to do that?

wightsnow
May 26th, 2011, 01:10 PM

For his friends that don't?

Dark.Revenant
May 26th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Translating the game is not an easy task because the sentence structure of the texts in the game will conflict with the way my strings are set up. For example: "Last night, we found " and " lying in a pool of his own blood." are both strings, part of the same sentence, but broken up for triggering needs. Then there's the fact that I'm constantly adding text, and the fact that all the strings float around the map in various locations, broken up.

If you wish to translate even with these difficulties, I'll provide a copy of the map once I've finished doing the text-related stuff for the upcoming update. You will have to find every bit of English strewn throughout the triggers and map description and replace it with Italian. I will configure the map beforehand to allow you to do this correctly.

GhepITA
May 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM

For his friends that don't?

Yes :D

Dark.Revenant I know it is difficult to translate everything and know that phrases are adding continuously. I have no problem to help me and how I know that other kids will help with the translations.

GhepITA
May 27th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Dark.Revenant i can work at the translate when you ready ;)

GhepITA
June 14th, 2011, 01:53 AM
News??? DK if you want I can start to take the various phrases and translate them into Italian!

Dark.Revenant
June 14th, 2011, 02:04 AM
In a few days I will be able to provide a formatted string list for you to work with.

Rumpel1408
June 14th, 2011, 02:39 AM
mhm not sure about translating, in my oppinion this would just promote italians to speak just italian ingame even if there are other players who are unable to understand them. also these italians wont be able to understand the english mafia terminology...
i gues translating would just split the com, and we arent that many on EU server to be able to afford this...

GhepITA
June 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
In a few days I will be able to provide a formatted string list for you to work with.

Ok good!!!

GhepITA
June 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
mhm not sure about translating, in my oppinion this would just promote italians to speak just italian ingame even if there are other players who are unable to understand them. also these italians wont be able to understand the english mafia terminology...
i gues translating would just split the com, and we arent that many on EU server to be able to afford this...

I think that only translate into Italian the game allows players to make it known even to those who do not speak English. Unfortunately, there are Italians who can not translate lìinglese and then the game would be that they too can play! and still the Italians who know English, knowing that it is easier to play in the original map because there are more people, however, would play in the original map.

Dark.Revenant
June 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
The way localizations work is that the map just changes language based on your in-game localization. It's not two separate maps.

GhepITA
June 14th, 2011, 03:10 PM
The way localizations work is that the map just changes language based on your in-game localization. It's not two separate maps.

Good! It is better yes!!!

Lysergic
June 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
It's a big mess. Just learn english. It's not that difficult.

Actually, English is considered one of the more difficult languages to learn, especially compared to a Romance language like Italian.

GhepITA
June 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
This should not be a war between Italian and English. I'm only trying to ensure that players who do not speak English can play Mafia saying that certain things should be translated into other languages. The player may choose the language and then maybe then you can understand better. Many players who do not speak English (even I speak and write very well but I understand it good or bad) unfortunately can not play this map. So I'm trying to make sure that these players can play this map by doing so learn more and more because in my opinion deserves. And 'different from other maps and is a very enjoyable pastime.

GhepITA
June 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Sorry for being so gay... but here is the priority of languages in my opinion after playing at least 1000 games of Mafia:

1. English
2. French
3. German
4. Dutch
5. Spanish
6. Italian
7. Other European Languages

ok but i'm italian and I'm interested in Italian tradition. More willing to take other languages ??if you can do nelal their language ;)

Lysergic
June 16th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Sorry for being so gay... but here is the priority of languages in my opinion after playing at least 1000 games of Mafia:

1. English
2. French
3. German
4. Dutch
5. Spanish
6. Italian
7. Other European Languages

Do you play on EU or what?

Since I play on NA, I have yet to experience anyone who doesn't speak English playing Maf. However, it seems weird to put French 2nd on the list when there are Italian speaking people already on the forums asking for the game to be translated. If it were that important for French, German, Dutch, and Spanish people to have the game translated, why aren't they here asking like this guy (or, rather, offering to help like this guy)?

Here's an idea. The guy who offered to translated the game into Italian can get that started now... and you can translate it into all the other languages that you requested. Problem solved!

Rumpel1408
June 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe the french, germans and all the others speak a english which is good enough to play an international game online ;)
Or maybe they are not asking here because they are improfing theire english skills right now...
I gues the list is more or less based on the population in the EU. However I am a EU player and I never met anyone without proper english AT ALL. Not in Mafia, not in other custom maps, not in ladder games.
But even if there are people who dont speak english that well to unterstand words like Serial Killer, Bus Driver or Mafioso and are not able to simply ask what these roles do, just imagine the following game:

Red (named TomTom) is a Serial Killer
Blue (named like a random Italian guy) is Sherif
Green (named somehow funny) is Investigator
Yellow (named... names don't matter since Blue) is Vigilante
and some other Townies, enough to kill the Sk while geting stabbed by the Sk

Blue is investigating Red and finds out, that TomTom is Serial Killer while Red is killing an innocent Townie.
The next day Red tries to get the Serial Killer lynched.
But now comes the bad thing, the Serial Killer is in italian shortened BD (I dont speak italian, just a example).
Blue keeps claiming TomTom is BD and town thinks he's the investigator telling there is a Busdriver, everything fine, but Red comes away killing a Townie next night again.
The next day now there are no random Towns left so the real Investigator knows there's no other Investigator, but maybe a Jester.
Blue again claims Red to be BD and starting saying words like idiota or something.
Now the investigator states, that he is investigator and that TomTom does not smell like gas (he investigated him twice to be sure, but he dont want to give the doc to the sk with sherif still alive), so whole Town thinks Blue is just a Jester.
In the third night Yellow decid to kill Blue who said bad words to Town, while Sk is killing another Townie.
The next day, it shows up that Blue realy was Sherif, leaving a last will no one understands. Town lynches the Investigator cause he was flaming the Sherif.
The now clueless town doesn't know anything and all get killed by Sk, end of the story.
Not the Happy End I would enjoy playing as Town...

Edit: Sorry for bad English, I hope you now get what I like to express...

Lysergic
June 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
mb french, german and all the others speak a english wich is good enough to play an international game online ;)
or mb they are not asking here because they are improfing there english skills right now...
the list is imo more or less based on the population in the EU. however im a EU player and never met anyone with no propper english AT ALL, not in mafia, not in other custom maps not in ladder.
but even if there are ppl who dont speak eng that well to unterstand words like serial killer, bus driver or mafioso and are not able to simply ask what these roles do (i just realized you dont even need to understand the rolenames to get what they are doing), just imagine the following game:
Red (named TomTom) is a Serial Killer
Blue (named like a random italian guy) is Sherif
Green (named somhow funny) is Investigator
Yellow (names dont matter since blue btw) is Vigilante
and some other townies, enough to kill the sk while geting shot by the sk

Blue is investigating Red and finds out he is Serial Killer while Red is killing an innocent townie. The next day Red tries to get the Serial Killer lynched, but now comes the bad thing, the serial killer is in italian shortet BD (i dont speak italian, just a example). Blue keeps claiming TomTom is BD and town thinks hes the investigator telling there is a busdriver, evrything fine, but red come away killing a townie next night again. the next day now there are no random towns left so the real investigator knows theres now other investigator, but a jester mb, while blue again claiming red top be BD and starting saying words like idiota or something. now the investigator states that he is investigator and that TomTom does not smell like gas (he investigated him twice to be sure, but he dont want to give the doc to the sk with sherif still alive) so whole town thinks Blue is just a jester. in the third night yellow decides to kill blue who said bad words to town, while sk is killing another townie. the next day it shows up that blue realy was sherif, leaving a last will noone understands. town lynches the investigator cause he was flaming the sherif. the now clueless town doesnt know anything and all get killed by sk, end of the story.
not the happyend i would enjoy playing as town...

Seems ironic that in a thread about people who can't understand English, I couldn't get through that post because the spelling and grammar errors were so infuriating that I couldn't understand what you were trying to say.

syllogism
June 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry but mafia is 99% about communication, which has to be in a language everyone understands. Translating it would not further this goal unless it would be for some private italian only games, which isn't very likely to happen except extremely sporadically. Indeed, not talking in English should be bannable as it's akin to skype cheating etc. If you never talk during the game, it's a game of pure chance and not worth playing.

Lysergic
June 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry but mafia is 99% about communication, which has to be in a language everyone understands. Translating it would not further this goal unless it would be for some private italian only games, which isn't very likely to happen except extremely sporadically. Indeed, not talking in English should be bannable as it's akin to skype cheating etc. If you never talk during the game, it's a game of pure chance and not worth playing.

How is not talking in English akin to Skype Cheating? If anything, it's more akin to mafia team members talking in code at night to prevent Spy from understanding them, which is a perfectly acceptable strategy.

syllogism
June 17th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Talking in code isn't allowed in regular mafia games either, at least if it's not crackable, though there's a fine line between breadcrumbing and code. Of course, real mafia games don't have a spy role that functions like in sc2 mafia. Not talking in english is like using PMs even when they are disabled and I don't see how it's different from using skype except in that mafia-town discussion during night isn't possibe.

Lysergic
June 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Except that anyone who knows the language can decipher what you are saying, and languages aren't some sort of magical hidden encryption.

And who cares about IRL mafia? This is a forum for the SC2 mafia custom map. And SC2 is an international game. If people in other countries want to play it, let them translate and play it.

Seriously; these types of arguments are a prime example of why America is hated outside (and often inside) of our borders. "ZOMG ONLY PPL WHO TALK IN ENGLUSH SHUD BE ALOWED TO PLAY MAFIA! FUCK THEM FOREIGNERS CEPT THE BRITS"

Time to realize that we have a fun game here, and other people in other countries want to play it.

Also, saying that other languages are banned in IRL mafia is idiotic, since Mafia was invented in Russia by a Russian scientist. If anything, talking in English should be against the rules.

Rumpel1408
June 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Don't you see that not the Americans, but the Europeans themself don't want Mafia to be translated?
And its not because we don't want Italians not to play the map, but that we fear that they speak a language we don't understand.
And guess why, it' not Italina which is the lingua franca in EU but English. If Europeans learn a foreign language its English and not Italian.

Lysergic
June 17th, 2011, 12:41 PM
So people who don't speak English shouldn't be allowed to host their own in-house games in their native language?

I still don't understand the harm that having translated versions of the game causes. So far, the only thing I see in this thread is the typical raging that comes with every change that has ever been made to the game.

Rumpel1408
June 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
That point is that we, or just me, dare that there are enough Italians to make Italian in-house games regular. And the Italians who don't speak English would, in my opinion feel either debarred because everyone else in game speak English, or start speaking Italian which are most others unable to understand.

syllogism
June 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I wasn't referring to real life mafia, but forum mafia, though I suppose the distinction isn't all that relevant. Also for your information English isn't my first language and I play on EU.

It's an unfortunate fact people not communicating in the same language hurts the game for all participants and even if it's morally better than, say, skype cheating, the impact is the same. There is no way around it. If the translation was for in house games, it would of course be fine, but in reality there likely aren't enough Italians to get games going in any regularity.

Dark.Revenant
June 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Man this is taking forever to do the security for. I don't know when the translation stuff will be ready O:

GhepITA
June 30th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Guys say a little some things to read on. I think that if a team like mine of Italians want to translate the game (again, the author gives us the green light) in their own language because it can not do it? Then makes sense that if other people want them but can do so in n for this is that if I am Italian so we must first have the game translated into Spanish, French ... I am Italian and I will with my team to translate in my language. Other users can if they want to do in theirs.

DR still waiting for everything to begin to translate: D
I have put my email here: a.manauzzi @ hotmail.it