PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump Autism Club

Psyduck
January 15th, 2016, 06:40 PM
"China is ripping us off on trade. They're devaluing their currency. And they're killing our companies. We've lost 4 to 7 million jobs because of China. Up to 50,000 manufacturing plants. We have very unfair trade. We will have a trade deficit of $505 billion with China this year! These are the kinds of people (Carl Icahn) we should use to negotiate. Not the political hacks who don’t know what they’re doing!”

DarknessB
January 15th, 2016, 06:44 PM
I, for one, am curious what Frog thinks?

Psyduck
January 15th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Frog hates Donald . TBH, I don't like how donald trump hates muslims (it seems)

Frog
January 15th, 2016, 09:57 PM
I, for one, am curious what Frog thinks?

Sure

"China is ripping us off on trade. They're devaluing their currency. And they're killing our companies. We've lost 4 to 7 million jobs because of China. Up to 50,000 manufacturing plants. We have very unfair trade. We will have a trade deficit of $505 billion with China this year! These are the kinds of people (Carl Icahn) we should use to negotiate. Not the political hacks who don’t know what they’re doing!”

This is partially true.

China has artificially controlled (devalued) their own currency to maximize export growth for the last 10 years. They've been growing like clockwork until recently. Their currency manipulation caught up with them, created a bubble, growth is decreasing significantly- aka China's currency manipulation was corrected too late and now they face a massive bubble burst that would equate to the greatest depression (we will massively benefit from this).

That trade deficit/foreign debt is NOTHING to fear.
a) It will correct in the next couple of decades anyway
b) It doesn't mean we're weak, it means we're strong (it's like they're paying homage to us and we're forcing them to carry us)
c) In a multi-party nation state system, the complex web of political, military, and economic ties CREATES stability. The more ties, the more each state has to lose if ties are severed. (Deficit and debt = stability)

DarknessB
January 16th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Sure

This is partially true.

China has artificially controlled (devalued) their own currency to maximize export growth for the last 10 years. They've been growing like clockwork until recently. Their currency manipulation caught up with them, created a bubble, growth is decreasing significantly- aka China's currency manipulation was corrected too late and now they face a massive bubble burst that would equate to the greatest depression (we will massively benefit from this).

b) It doesn't mean we're weak, it means we're strong (it's like they're paying homage to us and we're forcing them to carry us)
c) In a multi-party nation state system, the complex web of political, military, and economic ties CREATES stability. The more ties, the more each state has to lose if ties are severed. (Deficit and debt = stability)

Thanks, Frog. I had been aware of the currency manipulation side of your post, but hadn't to this point given a lot of thought to what, if anything, could be done about it from a policy perspective. I figured Trump was just using the issue as bluster as opposed to the U.S. really being able to do anything about it. And anyway, a devalued Chinese currency means everything is dirt cheap and we're getting flooded with cheap imports, which isn't necessary the worst thing in the world from the standpoint of the consumer.

Also, on the geopolitical side, the more China is economically dependent on us, the less likely they are to do something rash. Call it mutually or at least one-side assured destruction if they antagonized us enough such that we did in some way restrict trade. My sense is that they are deathly afraid of societal instability over there so as much as they might be aggressive toward the U.S. at times, they fully understand this is an amazingly symbiotic economic relationship that would be stupid to lose.

Frog
January 16th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Thanks, Frog. I had been aware of the currency manipulation side of your post, but hadn't to this point given a lot of thought to what, if anything, could be done about it from a policy perspective.

We could have stymied Chinese imports via special taxes & duties (essentially tariffs by a different name) to equal what we believe would reflect their real currency value. This effort would slow the move towards exporting production (and jobs) to Chinese etc. etc.

It wouldn't do a whole lot though if anything at all. Chinese production would just be traded to taiwan/japan/s. korea/asian tiger country and be rebranded by said country to avoid the taxes.

[I personally can't wait for a legitimate credit and debit spending society in China :-) I'd correct the deficit in a few years alone. Muahahaha.]

Mathmatical
February 2nd, 2016, 07:28 AM
wait......frog your picture has updated. you don't play WoW do you?

Water
February 2nd, 2016, 06:02 PM
Sure

This is partially true.

I think there's some merit to the idea that depending on Chinese industries, rather than US industries, would transfer more wealth to the Chinese rather than the US, although the overall wealth generated between both countries will probably be higher by depending on the Chinese industries. What is problematic with Trump's argument is that he overlooks the benefits derived from the trade with the PRC. By purchasing Chinese products at a very low price, corporations save fortunes, where the benefits are passed on indirectly to both the consumers and the suppliers. It's axiomatic for costs, and prices, to go up if the US had to substitute cheap Chinese labor with expensive American labor.

oops_ur_dead
February 2nd, 2016, 06:10 PM
Donald Trump has 3 good policies that not many other candidates emphasize:
1) Increasing funding for mental health.
2) Legalizing all drugs.
3) Eliminating tax loopholes for the very rich and giving tax cuts to the lowest tax brackets.

Frog
February 2nd, 2016, 11:31 PM
wait......frog your picture has updated. you don't play WoW do you?

Nooope. I play Adventure Quest RPG over here:
http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/34344-RLVG-s-Adventure-Quest-The-Next-Adventure?p=545626&viewfull=1#post545626