PDA

View Full Version : Embed discord as a replacement for vbulletin chat?

Mugy
January 8th, 2016, 03:05 AM
I've recently fallen in love with Discord due to its combination of features from both skype and teamspeak. Basically it has the skype IM system with the teamspeak voice chat system.

I feel it would be superior to what we currently have.

At the very least, could we create an official discord server with a link on the front page?

For those who haven't tried discord, I'd highly recommend giving it a try. It won me over instantly when raptor suggested it; it is superior in many ways to both teamspeak and skype.
Discord can run in an internet browser as well, for those people who don't like downloading an application to run.

SuperJack
January 8th, 2016, 03:31 AM
Replacement for the vBulletin chat yus that chat box is shit.

Helz
January 8th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Replacement for the vBulletin chat yus that chat box is shit.

Pretty much my thoughts. It would be nice to get something where everyone can communicate together.

Cryptonic
January 8th, 2016, 10:38 AM
If it runs off site, why would we get rid of chatbox. I can't run these applications on phone, work, ect, so I'd rather have both.

Helz
January 8th, 2016, 10:55 AM
I really don't think we should get rid of the chat box. And I dont think it would be appropriate for me to push for that because I don't use it.

The real issue I see with getting another chat program is getting everyone to use it. At the end of the day I use Skype because it lets me get in touch with the people I want to stay in touch with. If those people did not use the chat system I would have no reason to use it.

Mugy
January 8th, 2016, 04:28 PM
The reason why I think it's a good idea to switch is that it's a modern style chat interface with permission control and whatnot, all the while running in a web browser. The responsiveness of the vbulletin chat feels last century which is one of the many reasons why I don't like to use it.
On top of that, it has a voice chat that works in the browser version. No downloading a teamspeak client or anything if you don't like it.

This is /r/starcraft official chat. As you can see, the shitposts are still of high quality.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2emlapy.png

SuperJack
January 8th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Wtf. Brendans long lost brother. Brandon.

Where u get that pic.

Mugy
January 8th, 2016, 07:01 PM
In the shitpost channel, funnily enough.

FYRE
January 8th, 2016, 11:50 PM
ROFL ibleedorange is a mod in discord chat? God save you all.

Mugy
January 9th, 2016, 01:35 AM
Heres a server we can try with
https://discord.gg/0kr7lpLEh1Mqjxc6

tn5421
January 20th, 2016, 04:03 AM
I joined, if only to play chat mafia via discord.

Mugy
January 20th, 2016, 04:50 AM
I joined, if only to play chat mafia via discord.

Now that's an idea.

Mugy
January 22nd, 2016, 01:28 AM
Could we have a trial at least? Have both available for a period of time? Can't hurt to test it out :P

Mike, halp!

Edit: Oh nice a configurable widget too
<iframe src="https://discordapp.com/widget?id=135299744841859072&theme=dark" width="350" height="500" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"></iframe>