PDA

View Full Version : Witches

fiddlefaddle
May 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Why do Mafia purposely kill/lynch Witches near the end?
There are a few times when it's forgivable (New Players who do not know roles well) but the majority of the times it is people with 500+ points and they should know better.
It is terrible that you spend the entire game helping Mafia and end up being killed by them on purpose.

wightsnow
May 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Why do Mafia purposely kill/lynch Witches near the end?
There are a few times when it's forgivable (New Players who do not know roles well) but the majority of the times it is people with 500+ points and they should know better.
It is terrible that you spend the entire game helping Mafia and end up being killed by them on purpose.

Better than potentially giving town one last chance.

TheJackofSpades
May 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Most of the time I find that the witches do it to themselves. Let me give you an example: I'm mafioso, two mafia alive with me, witch controls BM and BMs me, they end up lynching the witch 'cuz I can't tell them not to. Her own fault for dying.

fiddlefaddle
May 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM
This is what usually happens to me:
I randomly control and target someone and by day someone is going to reveal themselves as investigator or sheriff. Then I just keep making them check themselves.
Towards the end when me and Mafia are the majority or tie votes, I reveal my role.
This should mean the game ends one day/night quicker but Mafia ends up either lynching or killing me, extending the game by one day/night and making me wonder why I even bothered to help them in the first place.
To me, these people just enjoy knowing the fact that the witch helped them all game and right at the end not allowing the witch to win with them is funny.

It's the worst when I'm left with one Mafia member and I'm the swing vote to lynch. I reveal my role as safety precaution and refuse to lynch. Next night, a townie is dead and the Mafia member and town votes me out. The Mafia member knows well enough that I saved his hide and we can win together but decides to to off me for fun.
I realize there is a risk that I will control him to kill himself but being a douche hasn't crossed my mind until the above scenario happened to me twice in a row recently.

Dark.Revenant
May 24th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I can't solve all of the world's problems.

monster
May 25th, 2011, 12:32 AM
When playing Witch is crucial to understand that you are not a part of the mafia. You have two goals - survive and make the town lose. There is a reason why it doesn't say - help mafia win. You are on your own and should help the mafia only when it benefits you directly.

People playing as mafia will shoot the witch just because they can and also because witches are randomly controlling them and can mess up the their plans. Also if someone says "i'm witch let me live i help u" the mafia have to kill him asap, because there is no way to confirm that, for all they know he might be an arsonist needing one more night to douse all.

The best way to win as witch is to never be detected as one. That's why i think that when u set up the game the witch needs to come from random role and its target needs to be set to not knowing he is controlled. Setting anything else is equal to presetting a spy or jester roles and makes winning as witch just a lottery.

Zack
May 25th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I personally allow survivors and witches to win with me when i'm mafia, but i'm a minority on this aren't I? lol

People should understand what "Neutral" means o.o

Logante
May 25th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Typically if I'm guaranteed to win, and I have an option to save the Witch, I will. No reason not to share the love.

Auckmid
May 27th, 2011, 07:26 PM
After reading all of this, I rearlized something. BM is kinda like spy in the fact that its abilitys have no direct affect on the outcome of the game, but both can end up being excrutianingly painful when applyed in the right manner :D

Lysergic
May 27th, 2011, 09:38 PM
It's annoying, yeah. I personally don't do it when I'm Mafia. But it comes down to a difference in play styles. Hell, the Witch is incentivized to kill as many Mafia as possible before victory since Witch gets more points with fewer players during endgame. I agree with what a lot of other people seem to be pointing out:
Witch is a random neutral role. Not a Mafia role.

Rather than reveal as Witch, why not just quietly vote with Mafia until town are dead? Or if PM is enabled, once you figure out who is Mafia, PM them to let them know you are Witch and will vote with them against town, and then DO IT. Loudly declaring roles always looks suspicious to me; I don't blame Mafia for not trusting a Witch to ACTUALLY be a Witch, especially a Mafia with no consig.

FalseTruth
May 28th, 2011, 01:40 AM
My suggestion is to make witches immune at night(ONLY TO MAFIA).

I'm pretty sure the only other alternative is to make witch a mafia member, but DR obviously won't want to implement that.

Imperfect
May 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I don't think witch should be changed but I do think the witch should get more points for a win. Winning as witch is about as difficult as winning as arsonist, but she gets half the points. If witch got 30+ points for a win she would be balanced correctly.

Dark.Revenant
May 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Witch now has more survivability now that her description is the same as the survivor's. As of now, most witch wins are second only to SK and Arsonist in terms of points.