PDA

View Full Version : College Admissions

AppleyNO
October 14th, 2015, 08:20 PM
AHGAGSIgfa;lkdj;D
Hja dF"H:jkdhf ja;'l hjd;'fja
sd';gbz lh

Why is it so difficult? Should I apply there? What about these schools? What about that program? And those essays? Don't forget scholarships!

kjh;ofaa gs;js k

DarknessB
October 14th, 2015, 08:34 PM
It's mainly an issue of supply and demand. There are too many people who want to go to the top schools and not enough spots. Also, you have people applying globally for the same schools now -- it's not the way it was even say 10-15 years ago. The common app doesn't help either -- means people are applying to like 40 schools when it might have been like 10 in the past.

Hit me up if you need any advice, tips, etc.

Orpz
October 14th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Good luck Thomas

Dont forget to submit SAT/AP scores before deadline after you decide on a college

Apocist
October 14th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Schools are so over-rated...

Mathmatical
October 15th, 2015, 01:05 AM
the best way into collages is through scholarships. is it to late to apply for one or are you still working on it?

Mathmatical
October 15th, 2015, 01:07 AM
all scholarships depend on grades. if you have good grades most likely you will be able to get into a good college :D

DarknessB
October 15th, 2015, 06:25 PM
all scholarships depend on grades. if you have good grades most likely you will be able to get into a good college :D

Neither of these statements are true, lol. Many scholarships have to do with a particular group or interest vs. just raw grades. Also, you usually need far more than just good grades to get into a good college -- we're talking extracurricular activities, sports, leadership positions, etc. Good grades are just the start these days with all the increased competition out there.

Admiral
October 15th, 2015, 06:26 PM
^ There are even scholarships for handed-ness.

Orpz
October 15th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Also if you don't get a lot of scholarships this year, most scholarships are actually for current undergraduates (even more if you do research in your field), so you'll have more opportunities after you get in.

Mathmatical
October 15th, 2015, 07:13 PM
it depends on the school your trying to get into. if your trying to get in the top colleges you need leadership positions good grades. a good online profile and all that but the reasons very for different collages

AppleyNO
October 15th, 2015, 08:19 PM
So I've listed my Moderator and Adminstratorship here as a job. So we'll see what happens xD

DarknessB
October 15th, 2015, 08:32 PM
So I've listed my Moderator and Adminstratorship here as a job. So we'll see what happens xD

I hope you are joking -- that would almost certainly not be a good idea, lol.

AppleyNO
October 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM
lolz That depends on if they truly read some of the posts here.....

Mathmatical
October 15th, 2015, 08:46 PM
oh god thats not a job its a hobby XD

Mathmatical
October 15th, 2015, 08:46 PM
do the admins get paid by dark revenant?

DarknessB
October 15th, 2015, 08:48 PM
lolz That depends on if they truly read some of the posts here.....

College admissions officers generally don't respond well to introverted / techie type activities -- i.e. anything over the Internet that doesn't have an overwhelming positive social or economic influence is going to be viewed neutral at best, or perhaps even negatively. Also, as you point out, if they read the posts and see any of the typical forum banter, you're kinda screwed, lol.

AppleyNO
October 15th, 2015, 09:20 PM
College admissions officers generally don't respond well to introverted / techie type activities -- i.e. anything over the Internet that doesn't have an overwhelming positive social or economic influence is going to be viewed neutral at best, or perhaps even negatively. Also, as you point out, if they read the posts and see any of the typical forum banter, you're kinda screwed, lol.
I'm hoping it shows that I have leadership experience and that I have passion for things outside academics.

We'll see how it goes.

AppleyNO
October 15th, 2015, 09:21 PM
oh god thats not a job its a hobby XD
More like an internship (at least that's what I was told when I brought up the topic some months ago with Slaol)

DarknessB
October 15th, 2015, 09:25 PM
I'm hoping it shows that I have leadership experience and that I have passion for things outside academics.

We'll see how it goes.

I think if you carefully frame it, it could be alright, especially in terms of the leadership aspect of it and having to deal with people who can be difficult at times. Could be worth focusing on the fact that people can sometimes be immature given it's the Internet, but having to work with them in a position of leadership / responsibility has helped to develop your skills in other facets of life, etc. You get the idea -- try to spin it as something you've learned a lot from and which has made you better at both working on complicated projects with others and developing interpersonal relationships / group dynamics. You get the idea, lol.

Mathmatical
October 15th, 2015, 10:11 PM
it could work what are you trying to be?

Orpz
October 15th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Be sure you proofread your personal statements over and over and over.

College admissions officers have to read literally thousands of these. So you can imagine that they'd find any reason they can to stop reading.

DarknessB
October 15th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Be sure you proofread your personal statements over and over and over.

College admissions officers have to read literally thousands of these. So you can imagine that they'd find any reason they can to stop reading.

Yup, most people are using variations of the same essays. If you use the wrong college's name, you will get rejected pretty much flat out. There's literally no recovering from that. And yes, typos can be fatal as well. They're looking for excuses to thin the herd easily -- don't let them have it with typos.

Brendan
October 15th, 2015, 11:15 PM
do the admins get paid by dark revenant?

lol

Slaol
October 15th, 2015, 11:18 PM

I'm one fucking good reference. I gave DR himself a good ass recommendation as someone who had commissioned work from him, and with Raptorblaze I just mentioned that we together ran a 12,000 member forum community. Not only did he get hired but he got a department of forum support that was going to be scrapped given to him or something.

I work you all and don't appreciate a god damned thing, but once you're ready to leave I will gladly help you get the fuck out of here. No one deserves to suffer my tyranny without some kind of reward.