PDA

View Full Version : Bodyguard vs Godfather

aguy999
May 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hello,

Love the game. Making an account because this issue has been really bothering me.

In the majority of games these days, Godfather is the primary mafia killer and he is also nearly always immune at night.
The reason being that most games prefer 2 advanced mafia + gf.

This factor makes the Bodyguard merely a semi-useless meat-shield as his retaliatory power is all but impotent and only good against the SK and a random-killing Vigil. In this scenario a Doctor is a much better role to add, because the Doctor doesn't die and deny the town a useful vote.

I would propose that an option on the Bodyguard be selectable whereby his retaliatory strike cannot be prevented.

This would retain the power of the Godfather being immune to direct attacks against him at night, but also make the Bodyguard a more viable role.

Thanks.

McJesus
May 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
I would say that if the bodyguard doesn't get the retalitory strike off he should act more like a doctor and not die in the first place but I agree in theroy.

Nick
May 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Bodyguard ignores invulnerability. Problem solved.

Goonswarm
May 21st, 2011, 05:04 PM
Bodyguard ignores invulnerability. Problem solved.

Not problem solved, that would make bodyguard hands down the most powerful town role.

wightsnow
May 21st, 2011, 05:14 PM
It might be as simple as a shift in meta by the hosts to include mafioso more.

aguy999
May 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
It might be as simple as a shift in meta by the hosts to include mafioso more.

This is the logical solution. However, since we're dealing with the denizens of battle.net its not really feasible if you want to actually play a game.

If you dare to start a game with vanilla Mafioso or non-Invuln GF then host gets called a massive **** and people quit or troll the shit out of the game. Either way, game ruined.

I would just like to see the BG have an option to ignore invuln.

Zack
May 22nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Not problem solved, that would make bodyguard hands down the most powerful town role.

Why exactly? For Bodyguard to be useful he has to be able to kill the GF no matter what.

In a setting where GF isn't invulnerable a bodyguard will manage to kill him. You're saying thats overpowered? Because that is precisely the meaning of your words.

Bodyguard who can't kill the attacker, and dies alone, is a useless bodyguard. Might as well have a doctor instead, since a doctor doesn't die protecting people o.o

So, I say, hell yes problem solved. Give Bodyguard an option to ignore immunity, asap.

And if Goonswarm thinks its OP, then Goonswarm can turn it off in his setups. Simple :P

Deolrin
May 22nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
I always turn off "Godfather Invulnerability" in my hosts as that in itself is overpowered(imo). Just do that, and problem solved.

aguy999
May 22nd, 2011, 09:00 AM
New update today. Bodyguards have check-box option to ignore invulnerability.

Thank you very much!!

Membrax
May 23rd, 2011, 01:28 AM
I always turn off "Godfather Invulnerability" in my hosts as that in itself is overpowered(imo). Just do that, and problem solved.

I agree. Most people want a GF in public game, that's true... but not necessary one with invulnerability at night ;)
I tick the other options (solo kill, immune to detection, Cannot be Role-blocked) and people rarely complain.

New update today. Bodyguards have check-box option to ignore invulnerability.

Thank you very much!!

Good to know that with have the choice now :)

CrazedSeal
May 24th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I have an idea. When the GF attacks the guarded target. The God Father receives this message: You went to kill your target. Although it was interrupted by a body guard. You and the body guard survived, so did your target.

Body Guard receives: The person was attacked. You interrupted the attack. All of you survived.

Maybe that?

Nick
May 24th, 2011, 06:55 AM
In that case, bodyguard = doctor. Which is redundant.

Goonswarm
May 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM
In that case, bodyguard = doctor. Which is redundant.

No because if for whatever reason the GF is dead or the protected person is targeted by a sk/failvig or witch redirect he still performs his job.

I would really like this change as sacrificing to protect against the GF feels so unsatisfying.