PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Thinking Puzzle #1 Dustinoff (solved)

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 06:14 PM
A COMrade drops the last rock and then he dies.

What does that mean? I will only answer with yes, no, or irrelevant.

The first one to answer correctly will not be shot.

when I was given this riddle this is all I was given. Don't complain. It's possible. If you are having trouble, COMrades, just ask for a clue. I have quite a few of these in my bag....

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM
A COMrade drops the last rock and then he died.

What does that mean? I will only answer with yes, no, or irrelevant.

The first one to answer correctly will not be shot.

when I was given this riddle this is all I was given. Don't complain. It's possible. If you are having trouble, COMrades, just ask for a clue. I have quite a few of these in my bag....

He dropped the rock on some sort of explosive triggering a explosive effect impaling & wounding him greatly after dying a terrible, terrible death.

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
He dropped the rock on some sort of explosive triggering a explosive effect impaling & wounding him greatly after dying a terrible, terrible death.

nope.

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM

nope.

landmine.

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 06:26 PM
landmine.

Not even close.

Ash
October 24th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Finally a COMmrade puzzle, the others will be pleased.

Q: Did he die by something explosive?
Q: Was he shot?
Q: When you said he dropped the last rock was it literally?

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Q: Did he die by something explosive?

Nope.

Q: Was he shot?

Nope.

Q: When you said he dropped the last rock was it literally?

Yes.

Ash
October 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Q: Was he a miner?
Q: DID HE DIE BY A.... PONY?!?!?!
Q: Did he die violently or by accident?

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Q: Was he a miner?

No.

Q: DID HE DIE BY A.... PONY?!?!?!

It may sound like a lie but no, he did not die by pony.

Q: Did he die violently or by accident?

Define both terms then I shall answer.

Ash
October 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Q: Did he die violently or accidentally? Violently - War, guns, etc.
Accidentally - Stepped on an explosive, fell to his death, etc.

Q: Was the COMrade working? (Doing a job)
Q: Did this have anything to do with war?

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Q: Did he die violently or accidentally? Violently - War, guns, etc.
Accidentally - Stepped on an explosive, fell to his death, etc.

If a natural death is in the accidental category then yes to accidental.

Q: Was the COMrade working? (Doing a job)

Yes, he was on the job when this happened.

Q: Did this have anything to do with war?

Not at all

vornksr
October 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Is your strange use of tense relevant (i.e. "drops" in the present tense but "died" in the past)?

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Thank you for pointing that out. It is one of my faults. I shall fix that so it says "he dies".

Dust
October 25th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I shall give a clue now: Try and find out where he is at.

nanosystem
October 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Did he fell down from something?

Did he tied the stone to something?

Dust
October 25th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Did he fell down from something?

Nope

Did he tied the stone to something?

Not at all

RandomNumbers0
October 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Was he rock climbing and it sliped?

HAIL COM

Dust
October 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Was he rock climbing and it sliped?

HAIL COMrade

Alas, COMrade, it was not so.

jaczac
October 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Is he at a cliff?
a pool?
is it tied to him?

Lastly, a guess.

THe roc was tied to his waist,a nd it pulled him into water and he died.

striker999
October 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM
he dropped the rock on a trigger causing an "accident"

Dust
October 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM
he dropped the rock on a trigger causing an "accident"

Not at all.

Do I have to reprint my clue?

I guess I shall:Try and find out where he is at.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 01:18 AM
by rock are you refering to one comprised of actual stone?

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 05:35 AM
by rock are you refering to one comprised of actual stone?

Yes.

CptGorilla
October 26th, 2011, 06:24 AM
The COMrade was so depressed over not joining the Ponies that he went to the nearest lake and started picking up rocks. He would then drop them into his pocket until he had enough to sink to the bottom and drown.

This is a typical ending for COMrades and other non-ponies. Had he just joined us, he would have lived happily ever after.

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM
The COMrade was so depressed over not joining the Ponies that he went to the nearest lake and started picking up rocks. He would then drop them into his pocket until he had enough to sink to the bottom and drown.

This is a typical ending for COMrades and other non-ponies. Had he just joined us, he would have lived happily ever after.

No and no.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
is this a movie reference?

Pansy
October 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Im actually fairly sure this is correcto

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 09:06 PM

if he was close enough to the bottom to pick up rocks and put them in his pockets; how would he drown?

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM
is this a movie reference?

Not really.

Lolno.

if he was close enough to the bottom to pick up rocks and put them in his pockets; how would he drown?

Not at all.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 09:41 PM
was this rock significant? (meaning its not just any rock he could have picked up off the ground)

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM
was this rock significant? (meaning its not just any rock he could have picked up off the ground)

No...but yes as well.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 09:57 PM

No...but
yes as well.

what kinda of answer is that? rules say yes OR no questions. no yes AND no answers allowed. you sir broke the rules.

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Define significant for me so that I can give a satisfactory answer.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM
i did: not just any RANDOM stone he could have picked off the ground. Meaning he dropped that PARTICULAR stone for a REASON

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 10:02 PM
i did: not just any RANDOM stone he could have picked off the ground. Meaning he dropped that PARTICULAR stone for a REASON

No to the particular. Yes to the reason.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 10:09 PM
did he drop it from his hands? or did he drop it remotely using some form of mechanism?

was he trying to die?

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
did he drop it from his hands?

yes

did he drop it remotely using some form of mechanism?

nope

was he trying to die?

Nope.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM
was he killed BECAUSE he dropped the stone? or was his death unrelated?

Did somebody else kill him?

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 10:17 PM
was he killed BECAUSE he dropped the stone?

No.

or was his death unrelated?

It is related

Did somebody else kill him?

No.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
he was holding a very large rock over his head, and got tired so he dropped it and was cushed

obv it would have been the last rock he ever dropped

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
he was holding a very large rock over his head, and got tired so he dropped it and was cushed

Nope

obv it would have been the last rock he ever dropped

Yes, actually :P

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 10:28 PM
am i close?

if not hint plz

Dust
October 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Here is my Hint: WHERE IS THE COMRADE?

I can't say if you're close or not. Sorry.

Zacharee
October 26th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Is he at a cliff?
a pool?
is it tied to him?

Lastly, a guess.

i noticed you never answered this post

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 05:17 AM
oops.

Is he at a cliff?
a pool?
is it tied to him?

Lastly, a guess.

No
No
No
and No

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The Comrade was at a curling competition. It was the last rock... Win... Or lose... All he had to do was draw the rock to the button. The crowds were silent, the pressure was on. The winning team would get admittance to the pony club where as the losers would become slaves to the ponies. And now, the moment of truth, he went to throw the final rock but he slipped on the ice and dropped the rock! He collapsed under the pressure and died of a heart attack.

Zacharee
October 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
The Comrade was at a curling competition. It was the last rock... Win... Or lose... All he had to do was draw the rock to the button. The crowds were silent, the pressure was on. The winning team would get admittance to the pony club where as the losers would become slaves to the ponies. And now, the moment of truth, he went to throw the final rock but he slipped on the ice and dropped the rock! He collapsed under the pressure and died of a heart attack.

part of curling IS sliping on the ice... well more like sliding, but still: slipping isn't really plausible

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM

part of curling IS sliping on the ice... well more like sliding, but still: slipping isn't really plausible

That's what makes it lateral thinking! And slipping is perfectly plausible. Even professional curlers slip and fall once in a while.

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Funny story but no it is not this.

Zacharee
October 27th, 2011, 04:56 PM
did he drop the stone because it was heavy?

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM
did he drop the stone because it was heavy?

Nope.

I think people can't read my hint.........

Ash
October 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Was he in a city?
Was he in the jungle?
Was he at a COMmunist place?
Was he in a populated place?
Was he in a not-populated place?
Was he in a cave?
Was the COMmunist's name "Dust"?

Final answer: He threw a pokeball at a wild Squirtle thinking it was a rock, and the wild Squirtle scared him and the COMmunist got a heart attack.

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Was he in a city?

no

Was he in the jungle?

No

Was he at a COMmunist place?

Nope

Was he in a populated place?

No

Was he in a not-populated place?

YES

Was he in a cave?

no

Was the COMmunist's name "Dust"?

This COMrade was not awesome enough for that name.

Final answer: He threw a pokeball at a wild Squirtle thinking it was a rock, and the wild Squirtle scared him and the COMmunist got a heart attack.

Lolno

Ash
October 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Was he alone?
If so, was he alone because he was lost?
Did he drop the rock because he felt like it? Or was it for a reason?
Was he in the wilderness?
What does Dustinoff mean?

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Was he alone?

Yes

If so, was he alone because he was lost?

Nope

Did he drop the rock because he felt like it? Or was it for a reason?

It was for a reason

Was he in the wilderness?

Define wilderness for me

What does Dustinoff mean?

Its Dust, but Russian ;D

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM
What size rock did he drop:
- pebble?
- fist sized?
- head sized?
- rather big heavy boulder? (as heavy as one can lift)
- a rock requiring more than one person?

Is the rock that he dropped:
- Directly what killed him? (ex: the rock hit him on the head, causing a fatal blow)
- Indirectly what killed him? (ex: the rock was dropped on a landmine and the landmine killed him)
- Barely involved in what killed him? (ex: heart attack, where the heavy lifting may have added extra stress)
- Unrelated to what killed him? (ex: he died and dropped whatever he was holding, which happened to be a rock at the time)

Was he indoors or outdoors?

Is the type of rock relevant? (ex: granite, regular sedimentary rock, diamond, etc)

I know this isn't yes or no, but can you clarify "If a natural death is in the accidental category then yes to accidental." To me, natural death is dying of old age with no particular cause, or causes you'd expect from dying of old age, like heart failure, kidney failure, etc.

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Was he indoors or outdoors?

Yes to outdoors

Is the type of rock relevant? (ex: granite, regular sedimentary rock, diamond, etc)

Yes

I know this isn't yes or no, but can you clarify "If a natural death is in the accidental category then yes to accidental." To me, natural death is dying of old age with no particular cause, or causes you'd expect from dying of old age, like heart failure, kidney failure, etc.

By your definition then no, it was not a natural death.

Lukas
October 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Is the rock

Hard

soft

diamond

granite

sandstone

pumice

?

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Is the rock

Hard

soft

diamond

granite

sandstone

pumice

?

Yes to hard (that sounds so dirty)

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
what about my other questions?

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Sorry about that, I had the answers but I must have deleted them. I shall put them up now

What size rock did he drop:
- pebble?
- fist sized?
- head sized?
- rather big heavy boulder? (as heavy as one can lift)
- a rock requiring more than one person?

Irrelevant except for the last question. No to the last question.

Is the rock that he dropped:
- Directly what killed him? (ex: the rock hit him on the head, causing a fatal blow)
- Indirectly what killed him? (ex: the rock was dropped on a landmine and the landmine killed him)
- Barely involved in what killed him? (ex: heart attack, where the heavy lifting may have added extra stress)
- Unrelated to what killed him? (ex: he died and dropped whatever he was holding, which happened to be a rock at the time)

Yes to unrelated to what killed him.

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 07:54 PM
The rocks were the Elements Of Friendship. The location was Mount Doom. The Comrade believed that the fiery volcano that destroyed the "one ring to rule them all" could also destroy the Ponies' ultimate weapon. His plan backfired and the volcano erupted, killing the Comrade. As for the Elements Of Friendship, they grew ever stronger as they are made of precious stones that are naturally formed by volcanoes.

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 08:02 PM
The rocks were the Elements Of Friendship. The location was Mount Doom. The Comrade believed that the fiery volcano that destroyed the "one ring to rule them all" could also destroy the Ponies' ultimate weapon. His plan backfired and the volcano erupted, killing the Comrade. As for the Elements Of Friendship, they grew ever stronger as they are made of precious stones that are naturally formed by volcanoes.

lolno

Pansy
October 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
The COMrade dropped the rock in Twilight Sparkle's cupcake mix causing the cupcake mix to be ruined the mix making Twilight Sparkle so mad cause she was making cupcakes for a party, that she pony kicked him in the chest and the Comrade died.

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Well, I just gave 3 totally plausible scenarios that would fully explain the riddle in accordance with any and all information known at the time and you refused them all.

Therefore, you will simply need to give a clue. And saying "the location is important" doesn't mean anything...

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 08:33 PM
The COMrade dropped the rock in Twilight Sparkle's cupcake mix causing the cupcake mix to be ruined the mix making Twilight Sparkle so mad cause she was making cupcakes for a party, that she pony kicked him in the chest and the Comrade died.

Too much pony for this thread...

Well, I just gave 3 totally plausible scenarios that would fully explain the riddle in accordance with any and all information known at the time and you refused them all.

Therefore, you will simply need to give a clue. And saying "the location is important" doesn't mean anything...

Your scenarios may be plausible but they aren't the one specific one I am looking for that this all comes together. Plus, you haven't really pursued the location as much as you have the rock...

Since you ask for a clue: He died from the lack of something

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 08:43 PM
you haven't really pursued the location as much as you have the rock...

That's because "location" is far too generic. Are you looking for terrain (lakeside, desert, mountain), geographical location (Specific country, city, continent), landmark (cliff, tunnel, hole in the ground), etc. Each of those aspects would require a ton of questions just to get started. And only giving yes/no doesn't give a degree of accuracy. For example, it being non-populated: now is that general information about the area, or is the fact that there is no one around really important and relevant to the puzzle?

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM
is the fact that there is no one around really important and relevant to the puzzle?

Yes

Pansy
October 27th, 2011, 08:55 PM

Too much pony for this thread...

Your scenarios may be plausible but they aren't the one specific one I am looking for that this all comes together. Plus, you haven't really pursued the location as much as you have the rock...

Since you ask for a clue: He died from the lack of something

The rock resembled friendship, he dropped friendship, and died because he was forever alone, and had no power of friendship.

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM
He was at a wishing well. (that's a location) His wish was to become a pony, but since he had no money, (the item he was missing) he dropped in an ordinary rock. The wishing well took offense and instead of becoming a pony, the Comrade simply died.

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM
The rock resembled friendship, he dropped friendship, and died because he was forever alone, and had no power of friendship.

What are you smoking in that pony party? Reminder to COMrades: Warn me that I said I would kill myself if I went into a pony party. But no this is not what I am looking for.

He was at a wishing well. His wish was to become a pony, but since he had no money, he dropped in an ordinary rock. The wishing well took offense and instead of becoming a pony, the Comrade simply died.

The '60s are coming back...

lolno to this scenario

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 09:08 PM
The Comrade was in the freezing cold of Russia, in an isolated area, all alone. He had been trying to get a fire started for the last two days, but alas! He had not matches, lighter or fire-breathing dragon friend (unlike ponies!). His last chance was to find flint rocks. He searched high and low in an area of 1 square foot (What? He's a lazy Comrade!) and none of them would make the slightest spark. His body reaching deadly hypothermic temperatures, his hands simply dropped the last rock he found and he died.

Once again... If only he had joined the ponies...

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
The Comrade was in the freezing cold of Russia, in an isolated area, all alone. He had been trying to get a fire started for the last two days, but alas! He had not matches, lighter or fire-breathing dragon friend (unlike ponies!). His last chance was to find flint rocks. He searched high and low in an area of 1 square foot (What? He's a lazy Comrade!) and none of them would make the slightest spark. His body reaching deadly hypothermic temperatures, his hands simply dropped the last rock he found and he died.

Once again... If only he had joined the ponies...

It's almost as if you're not trying to solve the puzzle -- it's like you are trying to troll me. (I know you are working on it but I haven't answered a question for a few posts. Just "answers")

No

Pansy
October 27th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Are poniez the cause of his death?

CptGorilla
October 27th, 2011, 09:17 PM
It's almost as if you're not trying to solve the puzzle -- it's like you are trying to troll me. (I know you are working on it but I haven't answered a question for a few posts. Just "answers")

No

Actually, I'm just pointing out how many scenarios I can come up with that "could" fit your riddle. Ponies aside, all my scenarios are perfectly plausible for the given information. Maybe it's the information given that's too generic (hint hint).

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Are poniez the cause of his death?

No

stop with the ponies. I have to tell you something that will make you sad: the world does not revolve around ponies.

Actually, I'm just pointing out how many scenarios I can come up with that "could" fit your riddle. Ponies aside, all my scenarios are perfectly plausible for the given information. Maybe it's the information given that's too generic (hint hint).

Maybe you should use the clues I have given you to narrow the possibilities down (hint hint)

Pansy
October 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM
No

stop with the ponies. I have to tell you something that will make you sad: the world does not revolve around ponies.

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/60953-Shadow%20of%20Death/953/93/130645385443_display.jpg

BTW: Did he drop the rock down his throat?

Dust
October 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM
BTW: Did he drop the rock down his throat?

That is very lateral thinking. However it is not part of the answer.

Ming Vase of Hitler
October 27th, 2011, 11:49 PM

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/pinkiewavinghoovesanim.gif

Silly pony! There's ALWAYS a bunch of scenarios that could possibly fit a little ol' riddle like this! However, the answer is a LATERAL one, one that you have to take a real mental step to the side to figure out!! You may come up with some pretty funny and creative guesses, but GUESSING isn't enough... you have to ask QUESTIONS, step by step, to narrow down exactly which assumptions he wants you to overturn in your little noggin! <3

If he doesn't volunteer information you deem critical to excluding solutions, it does means that he's a tricksy trickster, but it doesn't mean that it's a bad puzzle. And it CERTAINLY means you didn't ask the right questions!!! :D

Let a pony puzzler expert try her hoof at narrowing down this riddle...

- Would he have died anyway if he chose NOT to drop the rock??
- Did the rock just fall to the ground? Did it touch anything relevant besides the ground, after he let go of it?
- Was the rock ballast?
- Is his elevation from the ground relevant?
- Is he counting something with his rocks?? Like the amount of something critical he has left?
- Did he run out of air? Food? Water?
- Was he stranded somewhere?
- Is he in a vacuum? Not like, you know, a CLEANING vacuum, I mean like a SPACE vacuum! Like the MOON!!!
- Wait... is he ON the MOON? :O :O :O

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/celestiasenditothemoonanim.gif

See, there's a good guess that satisfies ALL the answers so far, including what's relevant and what isn't!! The TYPE of rock was relevant because it was a MOON rock!!!! On the job as an astronaut, he knew exactly where he WAS on the moon, so he wasn't lost, but he couldn't get home! The rocks he was dropping were to count how long his air lasted or something! Dropping the stone didn't cause his death, but it was still relevant as a reflection of him running out of time!! And remember this question?

No...but yes as well.

Makes PERFECT sense now, doesn't it? It wasn't significant because it was a random rock from the ground... but it WAS because that random rock was a MOON rock, and one that he'd especially selected among a bunch such rocks to count how long he had to stay alive!! :D :D :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/pinkieHEHEYEAH.jpg

BUCK YEAH, puzzle! You've just been PINKIE PIED!!!! <3

And guess what? I could very well be wrong! But even if I am, my questions should help get everypony to the answer MUCH faster!!! Because that's just how I roll. 8)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/pinkierolling.gif

Dust
October 28th, 2011, 05:40 AM
- Would he have died anyway if he chose NOT to drop the rock??

Yes. He would have died anyway.

- Did the rock just fall to the ground? Did it touch anything relevant besides the ground, after he let go of it?

No, it did not.

- Was the rock ballast?

Nope

- Is his elevation from the ground relevant?

Nope

- Is he counting something with his rocks?? Like the amount of something critical he has left?

He is not

- Did he run out of air? Food? Water?

Yes to air

- Was he stranded somewhere?

Yes

- Is he in a vacuum? Not like, you know, a CLEANING vacuum, I mean like a SPACE vacuum! Like the MOON!!!
- Wait... is he ON the MOON? :O :O :O

He is on the moon.

see, there's a good guess that satisfies ALL the answers so far, including what's relevant and what isn't!! The TYPE of rock was relevant because it was a MOON rock!!!! On the job as an cosmonaut, he knew exactly where he WAS on the moon, so he wasn't lost, but he couldn't get home! The rocks he was dropping were to count how long his air lasted or something! Dropping the stone didn't cause his death, but it was still relevant as a reflection of him running out of time!! And remember this question?

You are very close. Except for one misspelling of cosmonaut you are missing WHY he dropped the rock.

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
October 28th, 2011, 07:40 AM
you are missing WHY he dropped the rock.

FOR SCIENCE

CptGorilla
October 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM
You said earlier he was not trying to die.

Did he know he was going to die?
Did he die in an effort to save other people?
Did he make any attempt to save himself?

He was removing rocks that pinned his spacecraft down, saving his fellow pony crew. But he ran out of air just as he was done.

or

He wanted to be the first man buried on the moon and did it himself by stacking rocks around him and then placing them over him.

Zacharee
October 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
is the rock at all important? slightly important? very important?

Dust
October 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Did he know he was going to die?

Yes

Did he die in an effort to save other people?

Nope

Did he make any attempt to save himself?

Nope

He was removing rocks that pinned his spacecraft down, saving his fellow pony crew. But he ran out of air just as he was done.

or

He wanted to be the first man buried on the moon and did it himself by stacking rocks around him and then placing them over him.

No and no

is the rock at all important? slightly important? very important?

The rock itself is not important

CptGorilla
October 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Is the fact that it's the last rock important?

Are the other rocks before it relevant in any way whatsoever?

Dust
October 28th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Is the fact that it's the last rock important?

Yes

Are the other rocks before it relevant in any way whatsoever?

Yes

Pansy
October 28th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Did poniez trap him on the moon?

Dust
October 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Did poniez trap him on the moon?

I'm not gonna answer that until you stop with the ponies.

Sabrina
October 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
The space shuttle that was sent to the moon crash landed and he was the only survivor. He got out of the shuttle and measured how much time he had left to live. He gathered up a group of rocks and because he wanted to do something special in his last moments in life, he started creating a structure of the American Flag on the ground. He wanted it to be visible from a great distance away and he wanted the last rock to be placed at the moment of his death.

He finished the Flag, and placed the last rock next to him as he died because of the lack of oxygen.

If this is incorrect, did the rock hold special meaning to him because it was the last of some sort of sculpture or something he wanted to create?

Did it hold meaning because it was the last?

Did it even hold meaning?

Pedobear
October 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
His space craft crashed on the moon.

He did not have a cosmnonaust suit on, therefor for the lack of oxygen he suffocated on the moon.

The rock was just something he was holding at the time of his death, and he dropped the rock because he died.

Dust
October 28th, 2011, 09:40 PM
The space shuttle that was sent to the moon crash landed and he was the only survivor. He got out of the shuttle and measured how much time he had left to live. He gathered up a group of rocks and because he wanted to do something special in his last moments in life, he started creating a structure of the American Flag on the ground. He wanted it to be visible from a great distance away and he wanted the last rock to be placed at the moment of his death.

No to your scenario

He finished the Flag, and placed the last rock next to him as he died because of the lack of oxygen.

No

If this is incorrect, did the rock hold special meaning to him because it was the last of some sort of sculpture or something he wanted to create?

It did not hold special meaning to the COMrade. This is a two part question. Yes it was something he wanted to create.

Did it hold meaning because it was the last?

Nope

Did it even hold meaning?

No

His space craft crashed on the moon.

No

He did not have a cosmnonaust suit on, therefor for the lack of oxygen he suffocated on the moon.

He did have his cosmonaut suit on. (If you didn't have it on then the lack of oxygen would be the least of your worries)

The rock was just something he was holding at the time of his death, and he dropped the rock because he died.

No

TheAccusedOne
October 29th, 2011, 10:29 AM
He was holding onto a part of the moon, his grip was released, thus technically dropping it. He floated away rand out of air and died.

WHAT DO I WIN?

Dust
October 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
He was holding onto a part of the moon, his grip was released, thus technically dropping it. He floated away rand out of air and died.

Nope

WHAT DO I WIN?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Microman
October 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Did he intentionally drop the rock?
Was he on the moon of his volition at the time of his death?
Did he come to the moon originally of his own volition?
Was there oxygen available to him at his time of death?
If there was, would he have been able to save his life with it?
And would he have if he had been able?
Did he want to die?
Was his death a direct result of another's actions?
Was it an indirect result of another's actions?
Was his death a direct result of his own actions?
Was it an indirect result of his own actions?
Did he arrive in a spacecraft?
Did the spacecraft contain oxygen?
Was the spacecraft operable in the time immediately preceding his death?

If the spacecraft was operable:
Did he know it was operable?
Was he able to operate the spacecraft?

If he was able to operate it:
Did he choose to operate the spacecraft?
Did he operate the spacecraft?

If he was unable to operate it:
Was it due to location?
Was it due to a physical barrier?
Was it due to a sentient being?
Was it due to a physical disability?

Sorry for the long post and sorry if any of the questions have been asked already.

~Microman

Dust
October 29th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Holy shit I'm gonna have a long reply to those questions.

Did he intentionally drop the rock?

Yes

Was he on the moon of his volition at the time of his death?

No

Did he come to the moon originally of his own volition?

Yes

Was there oxygen available to him at his time of death?
If there was, would he have been able to save his life with it?
And would he have if he had been able?

There was no oxygen available.

Did he want to die?

No

Was his death a direct result of another's actions?
Was it an indirect result of another's actions?
Was his death a direct result of his own actions?
Was it an indirect result of his own actions?

Yes to direct result of another's actions.

Did he arrive in a spacecraft?
Did the spacecraft contain oxygen?

Yes
No

Was the spacecraft operable in the time immediately preceding his death?

Yes

If the spacecraft was operable:
Did he know it was operable?

Yes

Was he able to operate the spacecraft?

No

If he was unable to operate it:
Was it due to location?
Was it due to a physical barrier?
Was it due to a sentient being?
Was it due to a physical disability?

Yes to location

CptGorilla
October 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM
His fellow COMrades left him on the moon, and eventually he died. He dropped rocks all over the moon's surface and now he's the man in the moon

Microman
October 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
1. Was there much time between when he dropped the rock and when he died?
-Under 1 second
-Under 10 seconds
-Under 5 minutes
-Under 30 minutes
-30 minutes or longer
2. By stating "he was alone" (or something to that effect), do you mean he was the only one on the moon or in a spacecraft on the moon at that time?
3. Had he been alone for the entire duration of his trip?
4. Were there any corpses with him?
5. Did he intend to be alone?
6. At the time of his death, would he have chosen to be alone?
7. Did he have a choice in being alone at the time of death?
8. Did he drop the rock in attempting to create a sculpture?
9. Was the "some sort of sculpture or something he wanted to create" tangible?
10. Was it symbolic?
11. At the time of death, would others capable of viewing his creation (if on the moon and close enough to it)?

Edit: I didn't see CptGorilla's post at the time I posted. But I like that answer. 8)

Dust
October 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
His fellow COMrades left him on the moon, and eventually he died. He dropped rocks all over the moon's surface and now he's the man in the moon

Not quite.... Remember he had a reason for dropping the rocks.

1. Was there much time between when he dropped the rock and when he died?
-Under 1 second
-Under 10 seconds
-Under 5 minutes
-Under 30 minutes
-30 minutes or longer

Irrelevant

2. By stating "he was alone" (or something to that effect), do you mean he was the only one on the moon or in a spacecraft on the moon at that time?

Only one on the moon.

3. Had he been alone for the entire duration of his trip?

No

4. Were there any corpses with him?

Nope

5. Did he intend to be alone?

Nope

6. At the time of his death, would he have chosen to be alone?

Could you word this differently? I don't understand the question.

7. Did he have a choice in being alone at the time of death?

No

8. Did he drop the rock in attempting to create a sculpture?

No

9. Was the "some sort of sculpture or something he wanted to create" tangible?

What do you mean by "tangible"?

10. Was it symbolic?

Yes

11. At the time of death, would others capable of viewing his creation (if on the moon and close enough to it)?

Yes.

Microman
October 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Actually, ignore question six.

I feel that the following definition from merriam-webster.com is appropriate:

"1 a : capable of being perceived especially by the sense of touch : palpable"

So is the thing he was creating capable of being touched/physically existing?

~Microman

Dust
October 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM
So is the thing he was creating capable of being touched/physically existing?

Yes

Peter
October 29th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Was what he created related to him being a COMrade(or political beliefs)?
Was it based on nationality?
Was it a flag?
Was it a sculpture?
Was it a monument?
Was it an effigy?
Was it viewable from Earth?
Was it large(size of a space shuttle)?
Was it medium(size of a human)?
Was it small(size of an eraser)?
Did the creation as a whole entity convey any meaning to him?

Dust
October 29th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Was it a flag?
Was it a sculpture?
Was it a monument?
Was it an effigy?

No to all of these.

Was it viewable from Earth?

Yes.

Was it large(size of a space shuttle)?
Was it medium(size of a human)?
Was it small(size of an eraser)?

yes to the size of a spaceship.

Did the creation as a whole entity convey any meaning to him?

Yes.

Pansy
October 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Was he building a spaceship out of rocks?

Yayap
October 30th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Is the COMrade human?

Were the rocks: Moon rocks?

Were the rocks from earth?

Were the rocks radioactive?

Were the rocks 100% natural?
or
Were the rocks cut/shaped/painted?

Is the size of the rocks important?

Was the Rock Huge? (like the size of a house)
Was the Rock Big? (like the size of a human)
Was the Rock Average? (like the size of a beach ball)
Was the Rock Small? (like the size of a tennis ball)
Was the Rock Tiny? (like the size of a penny)

Did a rock rip his suit?

Did something happen to his air for it to run out before it was suppose to?

Was he always the only one on the moon?

Was his ship still in orbit?

Did his "friends" leave him to die intentionally?

If he hadn't run out of air, would he have died soon anyways from old age or an sickness?

Does Space Cowboys mean anything to you?

Dust
October 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Was he building a spaceship out of rocks?

Could YOU make a spaceship out of rocks??? (The answer is no for those of you immune to sarcasm)

Is the COMrade human?
Of course

Were the rocks: Moon rocks?

Yes.

Were the rocks from earth?

No

Were the rocks radioactive?

Its irrelevant.

Were the rocks 100% natural?
or
Were the rocks cut/shaped/painted?

Yes to 100% natural

Is the size of the rocks important?

Was the Rock Huge? (like the size of a house)
Was the Rock Big? (like the size of a human)
Was the Rock Average? (like the size of a beach ball)
Was the Rock Small? (like the size of a tennis ball)
Was the Rock Tiny? (like the size of a penny)

The rocks are around average size (not that it matters much)

Did a rock rip his suit?

No

Did something happen to his air for it to run out before it was suppose to?

No

Was he always the only one on the moon?

No

Was his ship still in orbit?

It might be. The exact location is not important.

Did his "friends" leave him to die intentionally?

Yes.

If he hadn't run out of air, would he have died soon anyways from old age or an sickness?

No

Does Space Cowboys mean anything to you?

It does not. Sorry to disappoint.

FalseTruth
October 30th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Was he a criminal of some sort sentenced to death on the moon?
Did the people who left him to die have some sort of dislike towards the COMrade?
Did they have to leave him because the spaceship had a limit to how many people could get in it/use it?

Dust
October 30th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Was he a criminal of some sort sentenced to death on the moon?
Did the people who left him to die have some sort of dislike towards the COMrade?
Did they have to leave him because the spaceship had a limit to how many people could get in it/use it?

No
You could say that
No

You all are focusing on obscure parts of this puzzle. Ask about the rocks.

Dust
October 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM
*waves hand slowly* You will ask about the rocks.

Nike2000
October 31st, 2011, 07:11 AM
Was he in a cave?
Did the dropped rock cause a earthquake(or something like that), because of the cave?

Dust
October 31st, 2011, 07:12 AM
Was he in a cave?

Nope

Did the dropped rock cause a earthquake(or something like that), because of the cave?

Nope

Nike2000
October 31st, 2011, 07:25 AM
Did the police analise this case?

The rocks we're small like 1m? or smaller?

The rock was alive?

Do you think we'll resolve this puzzle?

The rock was from rock's mafia and shoot him?

SilentShadow
October 31st, 2011, 05:38 PM
He was using a crane to move a rather large rock and as it was suspended above the crane the ropes snapped due to being tampered with by an enemy, perhaps terrorists?

TheWaaagh
October 31st, 2011, 09:52 PM
Was he trying to write a message using the rocks?

Was it the last rock out of the ones he stockpiled at the time? Or was it literally the last stray rock that he could find on the moon?

I'm not sure if anyone asked this, but was he digging something? And thus tossing the rocks to the side?

Again, I can't remember if you confirmed he died from lack of oxygen, but I do know you said he died from natural causes. So I might as well ask, was he fried by the sun?

Dust
October 31st, 2011, 10:02 PM
Did the police analise this case?

The rocks we're small like 1m? or smaller?

The rock was alive?

Do you think we'll resolve this puzzle?

The rock was from rock's mafia and shoot him?

No to all but the one about resolving this puzzle.

He was using a crane to move a rather large rock and as it was suspended above the crane the ropes snapped due to being tampered with by an enemy, perhaps terrorists?

No

Was it the last rock out of the ones he stockpiled at the time? Or was it literally the last stray rock that he could find on the moon?

I'm not sure if anyone asked this, but was he digging something? And thus tossing the rocks to the side?

Again, I can't remember if you confirmed he died from lack of oxygen, but I do know you said he died from natural causes. So I might as well ask, was he fried by the sun?

YES
yes to the last from stockpile
no
He died from lack of oxygen. It is confirmed.

TheWaaagh
October 31st, 2011, 10:12 PM

YES

Okay, was the message for the people that left him behind? Or was it to no one in particular?

Dust
October 31st, 2011, 10:17 PM

YES

Okay, was the message for the people that left him behind? Or was it to no one in particular?

Yes to no one in particular...but it could be no....

TheWaaagh
October 31st, 2011, 10:39 PM
Was the message one of penitence? For example, "I'm sorry I wasted all of our food supplies".

If not, was it a threat? i.e "I'll kill you all when I get off this planet".

If neither of those, was it a statement of fact? i.e "I am dying".

The only other question I can think of right now is this: did he start working on the message only after he was abandoned?

Dust
November 1st, 2011, 05:29 AM
Was the message one of penitence? For example, "I'm sorry I wasted all of our food supplies".

If not, was it a threat? i.e "I'll kill you all when I get off this planet".

If neither of those, was it a statement of fact? i.e "I am dying".

The only other question I can think of right now is this: did he start working on the message only after he was abandoned?

No
No
Yes
Yes

Nike2000
November 1st, 2011, 06:13 AM
After he was left, he was out of food and died?

Did he died from a disease/mutation?

Dust
November 1st, 2011, 06:17 AM
After he was left, he was out of food and died?

Did he died from a disease/mutation?

Someone who didn't read.....
I confirmed it. He died from lack of oxygen.

TheWaaagh
November 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hm, I don't know but let me just clarify, but figuring out the message is the last part of the solution to this puzzle, right?

Was the message something along the lines of "Hey, you guys forgot me!" because that would be a pretty funny way to die.

Dust
November 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hm, I don't know but let me just clarify, but figuring out the message is the last part of the solution to this possible, right?

Yes

Was the message something along the lines of "Hey, you guys forgot me!" because that would be a pretty funny way to die.

Not exactly...

SilentShadow
November 2nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Was the message "Fuck you."?

If so did the people that left him get angry about him saying that?

Again if that is true did they then cut off his oxygen?

Dust
November 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Was the message "Fuck you."?

Lolno

If so did the people that left him get angry about him saying that?

lol

Again if that is true did they then cut off his oxygen?

no

Ganondorf
November 2nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Was the rock any form of a tombstone?

Was the rock at all related to a burial?

Dust
November 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM

Yet another person who doesn't read....

Ganondorf
November 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM

Yet another person who doesn't read....

I'll take that as a 'no'...

For the record, nowhere in your current answers were the answers to my questions given or even implied :P

Dust
November 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM

YES

Just leaving this here for Ganondorf's reading pleasure

Ganondorf
November 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM

YES

Just leaving this here for Ganondorf's reading pleasure

Writing a message doesn't mean he couldn't have been using a tombstone...

Dust
November 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Was it a flag?
Was it a sculpture?
Was it a monument?
Was it an effigy?

No to all of these.

I view tombstones as sculpture/monuments. You are different from me. I am sorry that I thought you hadn't read. I had thought that it was out of the question merely because I knew it was out of the question as I had answered a question similar, but not exactly like yours. All a misunderstanding.

Ganondorf
November 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Was it a flag?
Was it a sculpture?
Was it a monument?
Was it an effigy?

No to all of these.

I view tombstones as sculpture/monuments. You are different from me. I am sorry that I thought you hadn't read. I had thought that it was out of the question merely because I knew it was out of the question as I had answered a question similar, but not exactly like yours. All a misunderstanding.

I too am sorry, but I am glad that COMmunists and Poniez can get along to perform intellectual feats such as this :D

SilentShadow
November 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Was the message "S.O.S." or something along the lines of pleading for help?

Was it a plea, a question, or a statement?

Was the motive for the friends ditching him for revenge? Hatred? Jealousy? Joke? Forgetfulness? Random? Trick? Paid to kill?

Was it intentional that the final rock was placed at his time of death? Was it coincidence?

Did the COMrade write a message pleading for help after being stranded on the moon by his so called friends, in hopes that someone would see it and alert the governement or soemthing, and die because he had limited oxygen that just happened to be when he placed his last rock in the message?

Yayap
November 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Was his "friends" leaving him be considered murderers if people found out what happened?

TheWaaagh
November 3rd, 2011, 12:00 AM
Was the message meta? For example, "Once I finish this message, I'll be dead." or "If you're reading this message, then I'm out of air." or something along those lines?

Dust
November 3rd, 2011, 06:07 AM
Was his "friends" leaving him be considered murderers if people found out what happened?

yes

Was the message meta? For example, "Once I finish this message, I'll be dead." or "If you're reading this message, then I'm out of air." or something along those lines?

eh. work on it a bit.

SilentShadow
November 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Reply to my earlier post... Finding the answers to those questions will help me figure out more :P

Dust
November 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry about that. I should not reply while I'm still asleep.

Was the message "S.O.S." or something along the lines of pleading for help?

no

Was it a plea, a question, or a statement?

yes to a statement

Was the motive for the friends ditching him for revenge? Hatred? Jealousy? Joke? Forgetfulness? Random? Trick? Paid to kill?

Irrelevant

Was it intentional that the final rock was placed at his time of death? Was it coincidence?

it was coincidence

Did the COMrade write a message pleading for help after being stranded on the moon by his so called friends, in hopes that someone would see it and alert the governement or soemthing, and die because he had limited oxygen that just happened to be when he placed his last rock in the message?

almost there

jaczac
November 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
The comrade was makeing a signal. he just happend to have died as he placed the rock.

Dust
November 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
The comrade was makeing a signal. he just happend to have died as he placed the rock.

Not quite...

jaczac
November 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
The comrade was makeing a signal. he just happend to run out of oxygen and died as he placed the rock.

Not quite...

Fixed

SilentShadow
November 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Okay so the COMrade wrote something along the lines of "I'm low on air, please help" and the messge took so long to write that he died while placing the last stone that finished his statement. He had hoped that the message would be seen and help would arrive, but no such things happened.

Yayap
November 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Here is your solution:

We wrote a message that could be "seen from Earth". The COMrades message is his Last Will letting the authorities know that he was murdered by being left behind by the Evil Ponies.

The authorities would then arrest the Ponies when they got back to Earth.

(little did he know that the terrorists paid the ponies to leave him behind)

Dust
November 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Yayap is correct. He wins this puzzle.