PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Thinking Puzzle #1 - Software -DEADLINE REACHED-

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/pinkielateral2.png

Rules:

Okay, so these things are little riddles called "lateral thinking puzzles"!! They suggest situations that sound really weird, but make so much more sense once you explain them. Yes, YOU!!!! Your job in this fun little thread is to solve the riddle... and you have as many guesses as you like!!!

If you were just guessing, though, we'd probably be here all day. So, you can also ask an unlimited number of yes or no questions! I will answer everypony's questions with "yes", "no", or "irrelevant", irrelevant as in you're asking something that just has nothing to do with the answer, silly!

If nopony gets the answer for a while, I'll give you all a hint! I usually have at least a couple of juicy hints for every riddle, so feel free to ask for one if you're collectively stumped! :D

Be careful, though! These questions can be really tricky, and you often have to take a step to the side in your assumptions to set your hooves back on the right path. You gotta think laterally!
THE FIRST ONE TO GUESS THE RIDDLE CORRECTLY WILL RECIEVE A BONUS PRIZE OF APPROXIMATELY $5 USD granted by myself, Pedobear of the https://www.thecouncilofmages.com/ forums. I swear in court to this day that I will pay the upholding of the prize limits, and will go no less or no higher then the written limit.

The Puzzle

Twillight Sparkle enrolled into a Software Engineering course in her state university. The main assessment for the semester was to design a computer game based on total anarchy of the COMrades of TheCouncilofMages.com. She fell 300 lines short of initial code, but she also wrote 400 lines more then the assigned code.

How did she do this?

Vocabulary List: (all definitions are described briefly in my own meaning, not by the urbandicktionary or the actual dicktionary.

initial - final.
assigned - the work gave to do.
Software Engineering - Designing computer software, programs, intellectual value, & entertainment centers.
assessment - Project/ Exam given to do over a specified amount of time in a intellectual course.

Offical Riddle Deadline:

The puzzle answer is:

Twillight Sparkle was up working on the game all night and she passed out on her keyboard due to exhaustion. Her head fell on the "Q" key causing it to write 'qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqq' over and over.

Many of you came VERY close, but didn't get it quite right. Thanks for participating! :D

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
You have made a common mistake. I do not judge you on this. Anarchy is completely contrary to the ways of COMmunism. I have corrected a few in their ways on this subject. Allow me to find my quote.

TheAccusedOne, I'm so sorry that the Bourgoisie have lied to you this way. We do not condone anarchy for it is the complete opposite of what we want. What COMmunism seeks to create is this: A unified People's republic. Each helping out where he can. Anarchy is where each does what each wants. This is contrary to what is needed. You, COMrade, are the anarchist. I pity you for it.

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
You have made a common mistake. I do not judge you on this. Anarchy is completely contrary to the ways of COMmunism. I have corrected a few in their ways on this subject. Allow me to find my quote.

TheAccusedOne, I'm so sorry that the Bourgoisie have lied to you this way. We do not condone anarchy for it is the complete opposite of what we want. What COMmunism seeks to create is this: A unified People's republic. Each helping out where he can. Anarchy is where each does what each wants. This is contrary to what is needed. You, COMrade, are the anarchist. I pity you for it.

S
T
F
U
&
S
O
L
V
E

Dust
October 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Because you refuse the teachings of COMmunism I shall boycott this problem. I ask that other COMrades do the same.

Ming Vase of Hitler
October 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/pinkienotamused.png

Now now, your wording isn't clear at all!!! Nopony can understand what "initial" and "assigned" lines meant from what you said, silly! Even if your puzzle relies on the words being misconstrued, you have to be able to construe them correctly in the first place! :O

I'm EXTRA sure this puzzle can actually work, but I'd try just a LITTLE harder if I were you!!!! :D

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 05:07 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/pinkienotamused.png

Now now, your wording isn't clear at all!!! Nopony can understand what "initial" and "assigned" lines meant from what you said, silly! Even if your puzzle relies on the words being misconstrued, you have to be able to construe them correctly in the first place! :O

I'm EXTRA sure this puzzle can actually work, but I'd try just a LITTLE harder if I were you!!!! :D

This puzzle is fairly simple. I'll add a vocabulary list for the special needs children among the board.

10/23/11 @ 7:10 PM Edit: Vocabulary list added. Consists of phrases specified in the 'hard' puzzle.

Ming Vase of Hitler
October 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/pinkiehoppingwalleyed.gif

Thank you SO much for helping with my special needs, even if you didn't quite address my concerns!!! :D :D

I'll just try to narrow it down with questions, I guess!

- She felt short of "initial code", which you say meant 'final' code. By whose measure, I'm wondering? Was it less than the rubric's requirements? The program's functioning requirements (meaning it didn't work)? Her own personal standards? Gravity??
- Are they two different sets of code, these things that fell ahead of / behind the 'initial' and 'assigned' requirements??
- Is one of the sets of code uncompiled? Did the code generate more code when run, or optimize itself to decrease its size, delete part of itself?? Was it a QUINE? :O
- Were the lengths of code both literal lines of code her instructor expected?
- Did the game work?
- Was I in the game?? :D :D

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559980/reaction/pinkiehoppingwalleyed.gif

Thank you SO much for helping with my special needs, even if you didn't quite address my concerns!!! :D :D

I'll just try to narrow it down with questions, I guess!

- She felt short of "initial code", which you say meant 'final' code. By whose measure, I'm wondering? Was it less than the rubric's requirements? The program's functioning requirements (meaning it didn't work)? Her own personal standards? Gravity??
- Are they two different sets of code, these things that fell ahead of / behind the 'initial' and 'assigned' requirements??
- Is one of the sets of code uncompiled? Did the code generate more code when run, or optimize itself to decrease its size, delete part of itself?? Was it a QUINE? :O
- Were the lengths of code both literal lines of code her instructor expected?
- Did the game work?
- Was I in the game?? :D :D

1). My measuring. :D. It was less then the rubrics requirements & the assessment was assigned by Rainbow Dash himself!
2). Oh no! Twillight Sparkle is a very skilled software engineer, she would never do such a thing.
3). No. Both sets of codes are completely compiled. It did not generate more code when run, it did not optimize, did not decrease the size, or delete part of itself. And no it was not a Quine.
4). Irrelevant.
5). No, unfortunately when the game launched it received a generic code failure and the game closed to her Desktop of her MyLittlePony E-Computer.
6). No! :o

Ash
October 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM
FINAL ANSWER: She completed the assigned work but then her computer went retarded and she had to start over and she went behind 300 lines. 'NUFF SAID.

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 06:27 PM
FINAL ANSWER: She completed the assigned work but then her computer went retarded and she had to start over and she went behind 300 lines. 'NUFF SAID.

Irrelevant.

Pedobear
October 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Edited the OP(Original Post) for the prize that the first person to answer the riddle correctly gets..
The prize is SERIOUS. No piss in a cup, cum in the mouth, Logitech M315 mouse bang up the butthole.

All legit.

striker999
October 25th, 2011, 07:22 AM
she overworked herself and did 300 more lines than she ought to
then.... she was given an expectation(by someone, could be her)
to do say.1000 lines. then she fell asleep from overworking and had to give her work before she was done.
so she fell short of 400 lines.
Explaining why it did not work.
Also, did she get good grades (or something similar)? no being average or worse.

Doc
October 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM
1. Did she intentionally write 300 lines more?

2. Was she aware that she wrote 400 lines short?

3. Did the limit change?

Narks
October 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
She fell 300 lines short of initial code, but she also wrote 400 lines more then the assigned code.

SHORT
OF INITIAL CODE

INITIAL CODE
LIIIIIIIINES

fucking retards

Pedobear
October 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
1. Did she intentionally write 300 lines more?

2. Was she aware that she wrote 400 lines short?

3. Did the limit change?

1). No.
2). Yes.
3). No.

Striker;
Irrelevant!

I have a goody bag full of hints if its needed! :D

Dark.Revenant
October 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM
She literally fell on the ground after coding up to 300 lines before the initial code point. Then she went on to code the rest, up to 400 lines more than the assigned code.

Alternatively:

The assigned code is extremely well-optimized and is at least 700 lines shorter than the initial code.

Pedobear
October 25th, 2011, 03:18 PM
She literally fell on the ground after coding up to 300 lines before the initial code point. Then she went on to code the rest, up to 400 lines more than the assigned code.

Alternatively:

The assigned code is extremely well-optimized and is at least 700 lines shorter than the initial code.

Your getting warmer!!

but NO!

striker999
October 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
there was 2 sessions.
she was supposed to (initially) do 500 lines.
later, she was expected to complete it with 1200 lines.
she did 800 lines.she collapsed from over-work or something similar...*was she assaulted and left for dead?*

Pedobear
October 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM
there was 2 sessions.
she was supposed to (initially) do 500 lines.
later, she was expected to complete it with 1200 lines.
she did 800 lines.she collapsed from over-work or something similar...*was she assaulted and left for dead?*

1). No.
2). Irrelevant.
3). VERY close, but no.

RandomNumbers0
October 25th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Was it laying on the ground, like on a lap top?

jaczac
October 25th, 2011, 07:29 PM
The "inital code" was smaller than the assigned.

She wrote 600, but he assigned was 1,000

Done?

striker999
October 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM
the assigned code is 700 lines less then the initial code.
she was writing the program and the COMrades felt insulted and did...something...
RIP

Pedobear
October 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
All of the above posts(4 latest) are irrelevant. Look back at the "warmer" questions and think.

jaczac
October 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM
She did it, but collasped and lost her work.

Then she did the 400 more to make up for the lost time.

Pedobear
October 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM
----------------------------------------------------------

If the riddle is not solved by tommorow night at 8:30 CST(Central Standard Time) then the riddle answer will be revealed and no money prize will be given to anyone under any circumstances.
This is the final deadline for the riddle, as it serves a 'Money Prize' for the FIRST correct answerer. If the riddle is solved by anytime tommorow @ the given time; then the money prize will be distributed to the person who answered correctly first.

Also please remember that I have many hints for this riddle, and more riddles will be some to come for money prizes as well; once this is solved / deadline is reached; so don't get your panties up in a bunch.

The money prize is a minimum of 3.00$ and a maximum of 5.00$.

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
October 26th, 2011, 05:30 PM

What sort of devilish currency has it's symbol at the end of the amount?

Pedobear
October 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM

What sort of devilish currency has it's symbol at the end of the amount?

The devilish currency that is wished to be distributed.