PDA

View Full Version : Remove breaks that slow down gameplay

theuprising
May 20th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hey, lol, liked the game so much I joined the forum. But something that irritated me the first time I played this mod and every subsequent time, for a mod this developed and this much work put into it, is that it seems to be REALLY SLOW, especially in comparison to epicmafia or so I've heard, painfully so for people like me with ADHD (which also includes 90% of the gamer population).

There's no reason to have that long break when night ends, and the sequence from it turning day to night could be sped up 5x. Its just that during these times, you can't really do anything, not even enter commands. I also wished there was an option to make nightfall shorter, like 20 seconds. Only a handful of mafia can talk during this time making and not even that at times when a spy is present, making it also a frustrating sequence of the game for the majority of players. The "Welcome to Mafia" thing could be incorporated to the host picking stuff. I dunno I'm just finding places to shave off time the entire game seems clunky, any one else have any ideas?

And finally, a noob question, how do sheriffs leave last wills for people they investigate, by the time im typing "X is serial killer", I get killed and can't enter anything.

Oh and just looked up the mason in epic mafia, he can recruit other masons, but if he recruits a mafia, all masons die, that mechanic would make our mason 10x more interesting!

Dark.Revenant
May 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM
The game does a lot of calculations at night. Lots of stuff happens. If there's a night sequence, it plays sounds in rapid succession.

If it seems slow, it's because people are lagging. Sounds lag the game massively for some reason (blizzard's problem, not mine), but even without that, people tend to lag at night just because they can. This slows down everything by a large amount.

You can see it during day, too. Watch the timer when it seems to lag. It's one second per five real-life seconds when someone is lagging.

Sheriffs and Investigators can't see the results if they die that night, as of this new version.

icarus
May 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Is a slow mod if you compare it to sc2 gameplay, the logic of the game requires to have breaks anyway you can setup the time length at the game setup.

Deolrin
May 20th, 2011, 01:06 PM
No.
Seriously.
Only a specific few have problems with that, and it's no one else's problem.

Membrax
May 23rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
Well, you can adjust the settings to speed things up.
Nowadays, games tends to be absurdly fast though, with super quick vote time where you cannot even argue/defend :(
However, one part feels very passive: from the moment you voted, to the moment the role is revealed (vote result->guilty->last words->execution->role revealed).
"Last words" part (ie. QQ part) should be only a few seconds long IMO.

wightsnow
May 23rd, 2011, 02:42 AM

Unless you're a support role pointing out why someone is mafia since you found out about it last night and didn't have time to put it in last will because of arguing during day.

Membrax
May 23rd, 2011, 02:55 AM

Unless you're a support role pointing out why someone is mafia since you found out about it last night and didn't have time to put it in last will because of arguing during day.

I hardly ever see anyone say something crucial in last words. Anything you can say, you do it during the day, while you defend yourself, or in your last will. If your only way to reveal this kind of vital information is through a long last words, you are doing it wrong ;D
Seriously, the only remotely useful things I see during last words are "remember who voted guilty", "X is acting suspicious", etc. and all can be written in a few seconds.
Btw, I'm not saying to remove this part, just shorten it.

wightsnow
May 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM

I hardly ever see anyone say something crucial in last words. Anything you can say, you do it during the day, while you defend yourself, or in your last will. If your only way to reveal this kind of vital information is through a long last words, you are doing it wrong ;D
Seriously, the only remotely useful things I see during last words are "remember who voted guilty", "X is acting suspicious", etc. and all can be written in a few seconds.
Btw, I'm not saying to remove this part, just shorten it.

If all you have time to type is "kill this guy" people usually won't follow what you say.