PDA

View Full Version : My Two Cents

Ash
May 12th, 2014, 10:52 AM
It's been more or less a year since I was IP banned from these forums. I wanted to share what I've been doing to keep my mind off of reality. I honestly don't regret my actions on these forums because without the ban, I wouldn't have found a better, more mature community. You're probably thinking I'm not mature, but honestly everyone can be mature. Just not everyone wants to show it. In this community, just about everyone is immature because the moderators support immaturity. And honestly, I don't really care about this community anymore, but I'm dropping my two cents on this community because it was the first online community I've stuck for a while. This community is dying, and soon it's going to go to the stage where FalseTruth's "playmaf.com" was. If you honestly care about the future of these forums, you might as well read and at least take my point into consideration.

Ever since I was banned, I moved on to my normal internet adventure. Tiloup introduced me to a vanilla Minecraft server that he found interesting. But hold on. Before this, I was sometimes fooling around on Lysergic's Tekkit server. Sometimes I crashed the server by exploding a few dozen of nukes, convinced that Minecraft couldn't have gotten any better. So sometimes, I would end up being temporarily banned from the server by either Raptorblaze or Lysergic. After I hopped onto the server that Tiloup told me about, we griefed and did other stupid shit. (The community is pretty large by the way, usually there's 100+ players online, in the server.) The difference was, that we didn't get banned. We didn't get banned because the admins weren't immature pieces of power-hungry shit. They never kissed ass to become a moderator. They never donated to become a moderator. And no, they never roll-backed the server because it was the way it was meant to be. Moderators don't interfere with the community's actions because each individual member makes up a name for themselves. Instead, each griefer, each criminal scumbag is shunned upon by the rest of the community.

Moderators are only there to prevent extreme cases of doxxing, harassment, and hacking. Even though the community is settled on Reddit, doxxing is extremely rare, and harassment is minimum. The community's maturity outbalances the immaturity. Here in this community, it's completely opposite. (Or was, at least)

The difference on this community is that no one here respects/values moderators as the way they should be. There's way too many fucking rules that it makes it hard to respect the moderators. This ultimately transforms what's supposed to be a friendly environment into a class-struggle to become a moderator. Because seriously, the only way to get away with shit is by becoming a cocksucking moderator.

The forums isn't the problem, it's the goddamn moderators. Forums being split into multiple subforums, with different moderators moderating each different subforum was a good idea. But enforcing the rules so damn hard isn't fucking friendly. This factor encourages members of the forums to test the patience of moderators. How long does it take before they start abusing their powers? This whole ordeal repels potential mature members that visit the forums from Starcraft II. No one in the forums would be complaining about the moderators if the moderators actually did what they're supposed to.

Looking at General Discussion's rules (http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/21235-General-Discussion-Rules-*MUST-READ*), for example, made me realize that the moderator team takes this shit too serious. Necroing a thread, 2-4 infraction points, really? Is that really necessary? Is it so hard to lock the thread, or to just archive everything that's 2+ months old? No posting about Mod Abuse in general discussion? Are you 5 fucking years old? Learn to take criticism, and just move the thread to Circlejerk. Here's another one, advertising. Who the fuck wants to advertise on these forums when it's already dead anyways? The only extent to which advertising should be banned is if it's linking to another community. Honestly I can keep on and on about how these rules are ginormously stupid, but I thought I would leave food for thought. Also, the rules aren't even the main issue, the issue is the frequency of how much infractions are given over time. But it would be balanced out if the infractions were less severe.

And yes, my ban last year was well-deserved but not well-justified. I'm not going to be very active on here anymore, but I might play one last FM if anyone still hosts.

Tl;Dr: The moderator team should be careful on their public appearance, if they don't want this community to keep going downhill.

oops_ur_dead
May 12th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Here's another one, advertising. Who the fuck wants to advertise on these forums when it's already dead anyways? The only extent to which advertising should be banned is if it's linking to another community.

I agree 100% with everything but I want to clarify here. I made the advertising rule because we had an issue with Muso coming on and sending PMs to everyone trying to get them to go to playmaf. Really, that rule has never been enforced outside of that and spambots.

Ash
May 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I agree 100% with everything but I want to clarify here. I made the advertising rule because we had an issue with Muso coming on and sending PMs to everyone trying to get them to go to playmaf. Really, that rule has never been enforced outside of that and spambots.

I honestly miss the old forums, as it consisted of drama between Clawtrocity, Goonswarm, and JackOfSpades. They would rage in FMs and outside of them, and that would make the forums interesting to read. The drama didn't consist of "halp mod abuse", it consisted of various topics.

Now, the moderation team is wack, and I honestly doubt that there's anything interesting to read because if someone someone new comes to the forums, that loves to rage on the forums (like JackOfSpades did) with a sophisticated vocabulary, their post would be deleted and they would be most likely banned.

Cryptonic
May 12th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Most forums I visited had 1 rule:

"Don't be an Asshat. I will ban."

The rule I really hate the most is that we can't post about problems w/ moderators. I agree that any criticism should be accepted; it's not like someone's opinion is fact, so might as well get over it or accept it. Another rule I hate is the swearing rule. Who cares how many swears someone uses... There is a difference between using them against someone and just using them in a sentence. These words are just bad because we say they're bad, but they're just words. It's not a big deal for someone to swear. I also find the definition of spam to be highly overlooked. Spam isn't someone posting pointless shit, but I see people have problems with posts like that by saying they're "spam". Spam is when Mateo made a topic for every letter of the alphabet, It's not when someone posts something someone deemed pointless. I never really understood having a problem with necroing, either. If you have information relevant to a topic you have found, why should you have to post a new thread? Seems redundant. And no threads about Citizen at all? Even if they're not considered, players should still be allowed to talk about it without getting in trouble lol. I don't understand why mentioning a change to Citizen deserves to be punished.

Honestly, since all these rules were created, there really haven't been any fun topics at all. Occasionally there is a fun post in a lame topic, but that's as far as it goes :/

Ps I missed you Ash :(

Bruno
May 12th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Well I suggested staff scared off members and got a 9 point infraction.

Amazed to not see that precedent hold, staff is never wrong.

oops_ur_dead
May 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I made changes to gen disc rules.

Slaol
May 12th, 2014, 12:47 PM
This thread is accurate.

Clarification on the no mod complaints in GD: this rule was fairly unnecessary, but the idea was that we wanted either
- very serious complaints in AH (things we should really look into)
- shit complaints in CJ. (But this really didn't need to be limited to anywhere)

Also the swearing rule was upped from 5 to 19 (arbitrary as fuck) to remove any unnecessary infractions. The rule can be done away with all together basically.

I once tried to bring back personal attacks in CJ, the only real rule was that mods could close/delete threads deemed way over the top. The response to this was to blame staff for having too subjective of rules.. so then we end up making a fucking rule for everything and our rules and moderation look like they do right now.

I'd prefer the guidelines be more situational and left to decision making than having a fucking rule for everything.

Slaol
May 12th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I made changes to gen disc rules.

Patch notes pl0x

AppleyNO
May 12th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Spending a lot of time in the game and in player reports shed some light on rules.

If if doesn't ruin the game or everyone is happy with an outcome, then you shouldn't act.

The rules thread that was created was when I first became a Moderator. I was told by Raptorblaze what I needed to have in it, and I ran it though him before posting. The is a reason from over a year ago that we have those rules. The Language rule was because we just lost Google Adsense and Dark.Revenant wanted it back. Moderator Abuse reports were to be in Answer Hall or CJ, because we wanted those issues to be separate from the regular forum. We were spammed with Citizen threads, and instead of saying "no" every time we made a big banner saying "no".

We had a rule against nukes in Minecraft because we didn't want people to destroy large sections of the map. Regardless of the outcome, we tried to follow these rules. But overzealous Moderation on some areas and scarce moderation on others turned a lot of people off of this site.

We really need to open this back up. I doubt Google is going to come back now, but I'm still running Adblock so I don't know.