PDA

View Full Version : Allow Hosts to post in closed threads

powerofdeath
February 21st, 2014, 11:29 PM
I believe that hosts of S-FM or at least creators of the thread should be allowed to post in closed threads in SFM section. It is a pain in the ass when I have to open the thread to post day end post then close it again hoping someone doesn't post in between.

Orpz
February 22nd, 2014, 12:12 AM
y wud some1 post inbetween?

powerofdeath
February 22nd, 2014, 12:14 AM
y wud some1 post inbetween?

To say something like "why isnt this closed?"

ika
February 22nd, 2014, 12:17 AM
i would so make in b4 lock post

powerofdeath
February 22nd, 2014, 12:20 AM
i would so make in b4 lock post

What about someone who was lynched.

Orpz
February 22nd, 2014, 12:28 AM
/support

I think what I did when I hosted was go into a different thread to use the advanced editor, previewed everything to make it nice, copy pasted upon opening my thread

louiswill
February 22nd, 2014, 12:45 AM
Wuuu...I always dreamed about posting in between and says "The Night Ends immediately and all evils are go out celebrate national holiday!"

creedkingsx
February 22nd, 2014, 12:51 AM
That would end up affecting the entire site.
Any thread on the site can continue to be commented on after a mod closes it.
No.

Lysergic
February 22nd, 2014, 03:08 AM
This, or a similar mod (can't find a free one) is the only feasible way to do this:

http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/product/163-threadmins-group-moderators/

If anyone can find another self-moderation vBulletin mod that's free, chime in.

The problem is that vBulletin doesn't support assigning moderators at a thread level by default.

EDIT:

Derp; there's a lite version that appears to be free.

Cryptonic
February 22nd, 2014, 08:10 AM
I like how the question is asked without a single suggestion on how it could be accomplished lol. Lysergic is a boss. I didn't read that product fully, but does a threadmin had to be assigned each time, or is it automatically the thread's creator?

I agree with Creed, though. If it could be isolated to S-FM, sure. If not, it'll just be a huge mess.

Lazers
February 22nd, 2014, 11:23 AM
why can't you just write shit in notepad and then copy paste it into the open thread and close it within 10 seconds

I doubt anyone could be able to post in that period

Cryptonic
February 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
why can't you just write shit in notepad and then copy paste it into the open thread and close it within 10 seconds

I doubt anyone could be able to post in that period

This is exactly what I used to do lol. You can even click the option to automatically close the thread after your post submits.

AppleyNO
February 22nd, 2014, 11:52 PM
I keep the formatting of things when I copy paste, so I usually copy + paste my opening/closing posts, changing only the important things and shorting the time it takes to post after opening.

I feel ya though

creedkingsx
February 23rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
I liked to make it a rule that if anyone posts after the Night closing post and before the Day opening post, they are kicked from the game.
This was before I was mod and couldn't already do what this is asking.

Helz
February 23rd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Spitballing here but I think you could create a second closed option.. Or create a host user group that allows the creator of a thread to post in his closed thread. I doubt this is a very helpful suggestion but hip shots can't hurt troubleshooting

Cryptonic
February 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
A second closed option? What does that mean

creedkingsx
February 23rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Spitballing here but I think you could create a second closed option.. Or create a host user group that allows the creator of a thread to post in his closed thread. I doubt this is a very helpful suggestion but hip shots can't hurt troubleshooting

With the software we have for the forums, there is no way to give the host of a thread specific abilities unique of anyone who posts in the thread.
Can't create a Host usergroup that wouldn't end up essentially making anyone who is a host, Mod of the whole section, i.e. MFM.

Lysergic
February 24th, 2014, 12:51 PM

Like Creed explained, doing this would result in EVERY host being able to post in EVERY closed thread. This includes other people's SFM's, and also official stickies and whatnot.

The ONLY way to implement this suggestion is with a vBulletin mod like threadmin.

creedkingsx
February 24th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Like Creed explained, doing this would result in EVERY host being able to post in EVERY closed thread. This includes other people's SFM's, and also official stickies and whatnot.

The ONLY way to implement this suggestion is with a vBulletin mod like threadmin.

Which, btw, is probably one of the cleverest names I think I've ever seen for something.