PDA

View Full Version : Civil Discussion

clementine
December 15th, 2013, 03:52 AM
I propose the creation of a Civil Discussion Subforum that functions much like a “General Discussion” but in which users will abide by the following rules:

1. No personal attacks
2. No swearing

You can think of it as a warm and fuzzy version of Circlejerk, akin to smiling at someone you pass while walking down the street.

Instead of personal attack threads, there can be personal compliment threads.
/discuss

ika
December 15th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I propose the creation of a Civil Discussion Subforum that functions much like a “General Discussion” but in which users will abide by the following rules:

1. No personal attacks
2. No swearing

You can think of it as a warm and fuzzy version of Circlejerk, akin to smiling at someone you pass while walking down the street.

/discuss

ummmmm....

if this bacame a thing i could see it being so dead of nothing or a huge mass infaction game

clementine
December 15th, 2013, 04:08 AM
An example of something that could be in civil discussion is more formally structured AMAs. On mafiascum they have a (weekly?) AMA series where one player is asked a list of questions and I think it’s a great way to get to know the community. People can /in to be on the list to do a weekly AMA on things ranging from general interest topics to sc2mafia or forum mafia related ones.

I think this should be in a place like “Civil Discussion” to keep a high quality discussion that is both informative and positive for community building.

Cryptonic
December 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM
This site is dead to begin with, and people rarely post in GD as it is.

Glip
December 15th, 2013, 09:44 AM

1. No personal attacks
2. No swearing

/discuss

Wait, shouldn't this essentially be what GD is?

GD already has these two rules.

clementine
December 15th, 2013, 02:24 PM
The rules of General Discussion are that posts cannot contain more than three words like “fuck”, “shit”, “asshole”. I’m proposing a place where words like that wouldn’t be permitted. I know I would post in Civil Discussion. I tend to shy away from General Discussion because of threads like:

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/24584-dearly-disturbed-mc-orpz-pt1?

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/24106-Fuck-Israel?

I think there isn’t yet a space on the forum for casual conversation that is accessible to people of all ages.

louiswill
December 15th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I think first of all,

we need to achieve a deeper understanding about cussing.

Otherwise it is impossible to deal with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7dQh8u4Hc

Bunny
December 15th, 2013, 03:27 PM
i don't understand why it would even matter if someone says a word that you deem a cuss word. All word are equal. Also, I don't think one can define a bad word. No need to discriminate against it. If I say you're extremely moronic vs you're fucking stupid, I don't see the difference. The point is made that clearly your caliber of smarts is underdeveloped and it hurts the same. So I think we should swear away if we want to and others should refrain from using them if they are uncomfortable with it. We need to stop forcing so many rules on people and forcing people to conform and behave in a certain way one sees fit. Let people breathe!

Frog
December 15th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Some people choose not to 'cuss' because:

1. There are better, more efficient ways of communicating.
2. There are more effective means of achieving your communicating goals.

For example, let's say you strongly disagree with someone. Insulting them with or without a cuss word does not further your own communicative goals and it does not help your cause. It does however cause a breakdown in communication between two disagreeing parties.

While the civil discussion sub-forum is founded on well intentions, it is certainly doomed to fail due to:
1. Lack of interest
2. Infraction trap

Deantwo
December 16th, 2013, 02:26 AM
I get to give infractions to anyone that uses a word I don't like? I vote yes!
[/badjoke]
Ok ok. Jokes aside...

This is already what General Discussion should be, kinda.
As the others have already said; there isn't much of a need for this and no one will use it.

Some people just talk like that, and if it really is bugging you a lot you can always ask them politly (through PMs) to try and talk 'nicer'.
This is the internet after all, we don't see each others' faces and it can therefor be easy to forget how others will react to what we write.

Damus_Graves
December 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Just because you can say something doesnt mean you should. But I dont.think this is a needed addition.