PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Subforum

Sen
July 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I think it'd be nice to have a Marathon Subforum for those who don't have any active games and have some free time to play.

What's a mafia marathon?
Usually super small (7 players or less) games which are meant to be over in a couple of hours: days and nights have very short durations, and players are expected to be online and active until the game is over.

What I propose:
- Signup stage shouldn't last more than an hour.

- Players can't join more than one marathon at once.

- Requires no setup approval: the mod is free to make a thread, which will be used for everything: from setup, to signups to the actual game.

- Results have no effect on site leaderboards or anything (marathon games won't show up in the list of completed games for a given player).

- Setup mechanics should be simple enough for players to read and understand in a few minutes: the idea is that they don't have to waste time checking the setup all the time.

How would it benefit the site?
- It allows people to play some Mafia while signups for a S/M/L-FM open up, which sometimes can take over a week.

- Allows mods to experiment and test scenarios and mechanics that they may want to implement later in bigger games.

- Players with limited schedules benefit from the fact that they won't have to spend 80% of their free time reading what others posted while he/she was away. Everything is real time.

- Helps players to create methods which deliver the most important information in a concise manner: You don't have time to write a 500 lines essay on why X is scum; find the key arguments and present them.

- Mistakes are way more common. You don't have the time to check and recheck what you're going to say. It's a good way to improve scumplay.

- Is fun as hell. Ever played a Lucid Dreamers game? ♥

powerofdeath
July 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I support this.

Hypersniper
July 26th, 2013, 09:31 AM
i heavily support this

Poriomania
July 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I also like this idea.

What is a Lucid Dreamers game?

NoctiZ
July 26th, 2013, 03:17 PM
This sounds really good. I would like that.

Just make it mandatory to post approximated duration so people know how long they have to be there.

Poriomania
July 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM
We should try one.... right now!

powerofdeath
July 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM
We should try one.... right now!

We need approval from Higher ups.

Admiral
July 26th, 2013, 04:38 PM
^ Or you could just... do it.

AppleyNO
July 26th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Do a test in puzzles and forum games. This should be interesting.

CarolinaCrown
July 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I'd definitely be down for this.

powerofdeath
July 26th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Sen
July 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM
What is a Lucid Dreamers game?

Two factions: Dreamers and Nightmares.
Everyone is a Lucid Dreamer. The ability of a lucid dreamer is to think of something and make it happen. In this case, players would pm the mod whatever they want and make it occur.
What they can do goes from basic stuff like -investigate X or -heal Y to making up new abilities or restrictions. ie; PLAYER must write every single reply as a haiku or he gets silenced for the rest of the day.

The job of the mod is to set some restrictions, because when you give people the freedom to do anything, they tend to come up with some insane things, so you can make some rules:
- You can't change someone's wincondition. (To avoid -turn X into Cult kind of stuff).
- You can target a single player. (To avoid "I murder everyone and win")
- The mod is free to ignore any night actions which may break the game.

You can make as many rules as you find suitable. I usually make it so if more than one person tries to kill someone at night, all kills for that night will fail.

Those games can go from boring to a festival of epic awesomeness, depending on the creativity of the players. I remember one where a player said to me n1 "Give a fake bomb to PLAYER", then many players spent the game wasting night actions passing the fake bomb to others or trying to defuse it. xD

Days are normal: You can lynch people or vote for not lynching. Nightmares only have their night action, no additional factional kill.

If the subforum gets approved, I'll make sure to host a LD game so you can see. (:

Edit: Will host it after PoD's game ends.
Edit: Will do it later. it seems I'll be playing Diablo 2 for some hours.

powerofdeath
July 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Someone should host #2 for this!

Sen
July 27th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Someone should host #2 for this!
I might in some 20-30 minutes. Sc2Mafia game just started.

Sen
July 27th, 2013, 05:56 PM
There we go: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/21977-Marathon-2-Lucid-dreamers?p=355750

Slaol
August 5th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Some staff members have questioned the legitimacy of having FMs take place that are out of the process. We have M-FM Judges for a reason.
However, until Raptorblaze comes in and vetoes it, these will be officially supported as an allowed game process as long as they do not ever exceed 7 players.
7 players is currently the suggested limit by Sen. As of this post 7 is now the official limit. 7 is basically the smallest an S-FM will get so these games do not clash with the S-FM process in that way.

Carry on.

Raptorblaze
August 5th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I'm probably going to make a subforum in M-FMs for it, I'll talk to bork and crypt about supervising it first though.

oops_ur_dead
August 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM
If you guys are doing this, why not do it on IRC or something?

Seriously a forum is probably the worst medium for games like this.

ika
August 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM
If you guys are doing this, why not do it on IRC or something?

Seriously a forum is probably the worst medium for games like this.

i think its becasue we cant meet up with each other in real life whenever we want to. it is a good thing to do for us when games/site is in dead point/zone