PDA

View Full Version : Public Vote: Forum Store Proposal

oops_ur_dead
May 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM
So there was an idea of adding a store for the forum, where you could buy small things on the forum for real money. We'll either allow you to buy an item directly, or buy a certain amount of "credits" which can be spent on items. If we go with the credits idea, they'll be transferable between users and perhaps be good for other things in the future (some ideas are betting on FMs, FM prizes, etc). Some key points about this:

We will never add items that will affect other users, such as ban times or name changes
I have agreed with Rev that profits will be split 50/50 between us, at least initially
I won't be removing any features for this. Any items that will be purchasable are things that aren't implemented currently
At least initially, items will be cosmetic only and won't add any new functionality to the forum. I may add such things later if I can come up with any, however I will never give out mod powers or anything that would be unfair to others (e.g. anything that gives you an advantage in FM)
I'm going to try to be reasonable, but where it applies, we won't allow any changes that would let you impersonate someone else, or cause confusion, as well as anything that would be inappropriate
Integration with donations is possible, but not something we're actively considering yet

Some store items that have been proposed and that I've thought of include:

Changing your name (applies to all previous posts as well)
Custom name colour, including two-tone and gradient/multicolored (you can't use any colour that is too similar to another rank)
Custom user title
Glowing name (and perhaps other cool name effects if possible)
Custom background on name
Having an image in place of your username in posts

Of course, I'll add more to that list as I think of things. Anyway, I wanted to put this idea up to a vote, because what use is it if nobody will use it? Go ahead and pick an option, and post any comments or questions you have.

ika
May 18th, 2013, 06:39 PM
i got an idea.

badges ppl could make pictures or something of a neat badge and if it is good it goes in the shop and the person gets someing (not profit probally) but maybe rep or reconigion or something.

i do like the cred idea more so ppl can bet on fms.

Raptorblaze
May 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Custom badges (as long as we have the right to reject them) is a cool idea, hm I'll have to think about that.

TimeTrx
May 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Would Birthday Cards be something that acceptable? Like I want to buy a Birthday Card for other users on their birthday?

And yes I would use it and buy stuff if implemented.

EDIT: We don't usually get to vote on stuff like this. Are staff divided on this issue?

oops_ur_dead
May 18th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Would Birthday Cards be something that acceptable? Like I want to buy a Birthday Card for other users on their birthday?

And yes I would use it and buy stuff if implemented.

EDIT: We don't usually get to vote on stuff like this. Are staff divided on this issue?

I don't understand the point of a birthday card. Why not just send it to them yourself?

Also, I always put things that I'm not sure will be well-received by the users up to a vote. Staff is more or less okay with this.

TimeTrx
May 18th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I don't understand the point of a birthday card. Why not just send it to them yourself?

Also, I always put things that I'm not sure will be well-received by the users up to a vote. Staff is more or less okay with this.

I am not an admin. Its more prestigious if a Gentlemen like you or Raptor sends them one.

Could you like buy a round of Mafia with the staff and/or DR, time permitting?

Mugy
May 18th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Can I pay you to make the database searcher more awesome? :)

Mateo
May 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM
admin strippergram *wish*wish*wish*

Cryptonic
May 18th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I think there should be a set list of colors to choose from, if this is approved.
And would we have to pay for user titles as donors? or would we be grandfathered in? :(

powerofdeath
May 18th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I am not an admin. Its more prestigious if a Gentlemen like you or Raptor sends them one.

Could you like buy a round of Mafia with the staff and/or DR, time permitting?

So youre willing to pay the admins to give somebody you barely know a birthday card?

ika
May 18th, 2013, 07:25 PM
So youre willing to pay the admins to give somebody you barely know a birthday card?

Money is money is it not?

Bunny
May 18th, 2013, 07:25 PM

lol yeah why not just mail them a real one, or send them an online free e-card

Cryptonic
May 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I think name changes would be something a few members would buy.
I also think a large quantity of people would buy glowing names.
I just don't really like how confusing random colors/images (and possibly even backgrounds) on a large quantity of users would be.

ika
May 18th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I think name changes would be something a few members would buy.
I also think a large quantity of people would buy glowing names.
I just don't really like how confusing random colors/images (and possibly even backgrounds) on a large quantity of users would be.

its only the user name. it wouldnt do much overall. now if it made their box diffrent then it would be a problem as far as i see it glowing names wouldnt do much

Cryptonic
May 18th, 2013, 07:29 PM
its only the user name. it wouldnt do much overall. now if it made their box diffrent then it would be a problem as far as i see it glowing names wouldnt do much

yea, i don't mind glowing.

but if there are 20 different colors, and then a bunch of people are using images as their username, I worry things would just look like shit.

ika
May 18th, 2013, 07:34 PM

but if there are 20 different colors, and then a bunch of people are using images as their username, I worry things would just look like shit.

well opps can limit what the colors are to basics. but i think if we had 20 diffrent colors it would be lolz

TimeTrx
May 18th, 2013, 07:48 PM
well opps can limit what the colors are to basics. but i think if we had 20 diffrent colors it would be lolz

Basically think of how in-game names look when you get the ability to use Unicode, basically create your own custom coloured name. That is what oops is saying.

Crypt, I 100% understand. I have thought about the same thing, however I looked around on other sites for examples. The sites do great off of them. They have everything automated: coffee mugs, t-shirts, even donations; and it makes the community a better, friendlier place. Crypt go to another site that has it and check it out; and tell me want you think about it.

ika
May 18th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Basically think of how in-game names look when you get the ability to use Unicode, basically create your own custom coloured name. That is what oops is saying.

Crypt, I 100% understand. I have thought about the same thing, however I looked around on other sites for examples. The sites do great off of them. They have everything automated: coffee mugs, t-shirts, even donations; and it makes the community a better, friendlier place. Crypt go to another site that has it and check it out; and tell me want you think about it.

there was already a site for the mugs and stuff someone posted it somewhere

TimeTrx
May 18th, 2013, 07:57 PM
there was already a site for the mugs and stuff someone posted it somewhere

... -_-

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.13859662.2849/fc,140x140,black.u2.jpg

ika
May 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM
... -_-

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.13859662.2849/fc,140x140,black.u2.jpg

Did you know....

Problem?

louiswill
May 18th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Why is it necessary?

oops_ur_dead
May 18th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I think there should be a set list of colors to choose from, if this is approved.
And would we have to pay for user titles as donors? or would we be grandfathered in? :(

I won't be removing any features for this. Any items that will be purchasable are things that aren't implemented currently

This includes any usergroup permissions anyone already has.

To make it clearer, nobody will lose anything from this.

suicidaln00b
May 18th, 2013, 08:41 PM
MAXIMUM OVERJEW ENGAGED

oops_ur_dead
May 18th, 2013, 08:47 PM
MAXIMUM OVERJEW ENGAGED

Keep in mind that I've basically set up and maintained the site for free, which is a job that can easily cost up to $50/hour. Donations and ad money go entirely to rev, and it'd be nice to earn something back for my time investment.

Mateo
May 18th, 2013, 09:53 PM
when u do somehting for free they call u a negro; when u have the audacity to suggest ur time is worth something they call u a jew

there's no winning

creedkingsx
May 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I think you need to learn what black people are like...

TimeTrx
May 18th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Question, will the staff have to pay for the items, (e.g. badges) like the normal user?

Mateo
May 18th, 2013, 10:28 PM
how did u manage to misinterpret that

Raptorblaze
May 18th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Question, will the staff have to pay for the items, (e.g. badges) like the normal user?

I'd imagine admins would, but considering how much time the rest donate to the site they'd probably get some kind of deal. No promises, just speculation at this point.

TimeTrx
May 19th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I'd imagine admins would, but considering how much time the rest donate to the site they'd probably get some kind of deal. No promises, just speculation at this point.

Ok, I just want to make sure you have enough and are content with the badges you already have. ^.^

kyle1234513
May 19th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I wound consider buying name change, a custom badge, and a gradient name.

10/10 idea, hopefully prices are fair.

Lazers
May 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Where's the "might buy if have extra money laying around"

Mateo
May 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM
wheel of fortune rules: no one on the forum can use vowels without paying for them beforehand

Dagaen
June 29th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Name changing seems like reasonable feature and should be free (like maybe 1 change per year, you can buy yourself more often changes)

Titus
June 29th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Some prior non-mafia sites I was on had donations come with several privileges. 1) A larger avatar 2) A free email forwarder 3) Any name change beyond the first and 4) access to a special forum. It worked out well.

Nick
June 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM
1. More/editable descriptions besides Join Date, Location and Posts.
2. Animated avatar
3. Special fonts and formatting for name and post
4. Personal theme song somewhere in description, playable when clicked instead of youtube in signature.
5. Special badges page (something like scout badges; normally for winning FMs, GC), can pay to award custom badges to friends or for your S-FM!

RLVG
June 29th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Yes, if the prices are reasonable and if the money also lead to a better forum experience E.G crashes, database, et cetera.

Raptorblaze
June 29th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Stahp with the necroing today.