PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Tamriel (TESO Risk)

BorkBot
February 11th, 2013, 09:15 PM
For a while I've been toying with the idea to host a Forum Risk variant with a smaller map (less regions to make it more manageable) and premade alliances, so that it won't hurt the game overly much if someone has to leave the game or loses interest (another teammate can assume control and anyone who is interested can sub in whenever).

At first I wanted to use a Starcraft theme, but interplanetary domination would be hard to visualise and I don't know all there is to know about the setting either. Since there seems to be some interest for Elder Scrolls Online on these boards, I decided to roll with Tamriel and its 3 factions instead.

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9206&stc=1&d=1360642600

The general idea
Each race (player) starts with 1 region, which is their race's capital city. The faction that manages to hold the White Gold Tower (the capital of Cyrodiil in the middle) for 5 turns in a row wins the game. There will be an off-site forum where the alliances can discuss their strategies throughout the course of the game, but posting actions, inter-faction chat and world map updates are done on these boards.

The alliances are as follows:
The Daggerfall Covenant (Bretons, Redguards and Orcs)
The Ebonheart Pact (Nords, Dunmer and Argonians)
The Aldmeri Dominion (Altmer, Bosmer and Khajit)

The first phase of each turn is the movement phase. Players can move their regiments to an adjacent region during this phase. You must always keep at least one regiment in each region to keep order. There are no sea zones. Regiments can be moved through friendly (own or allied) territories uncontested. Moving regiments into a hostile/neutral region counts as an attack.

When the movement phase is finished, the results of all attacks will be determined by 6-sided dice rolls done by me. Each living regiment (both attackers and defenders) rolls one die which has to beat a check to be a successful kill (for example if the check is 5, then a 5 or a 6 will be a kill). The check can be modified by circumstances, but a 6 is always a success. If any defenders remain alive, the surviving attackers return to the region they came from after the attack phase. If all defenders are wiped out and any attackers survive, the attackers stay in the region and conquer it.

When all movement and attacks are resolved, the production phase begins. Each race gets an equal share of their faction's total production points, rounded down. You can save up points for later use. For your ease, I will calculate and post everyone's income so you only have to decide what to produce.

Any newly conquered regions grant 0 production points.
Regular regions grant 2 production points.
Rich regions grant 5 production points.
Some structures and technologies can grant additional points.

You can use production points to:
- Recruit Regiments in your regions
- Build Structures in your regions
- Research Technologies & Magic

After the production phase, the world map gets updated and a new turn begins.

BorkBot
February 11th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Regiments

You can recruit regiments in any region owned by you. There are 3 types of regiments. Footmen, Archers and Cavalry.

Footmen
Protection: 5
Cost: 2 points

Archers
Protection: 4
Cost: 3 points

Cavalry
Protection: 6
Cost: 4 points

Attack rolls are done for the regiment types in a specific order, and each prioritises targets differently. Defenders go first, attackers second.

On a regular battlefield, the order of attacks is as follows:
Cavalry: 1) Cavalry, 2) Archers, 3) Footmen
Archers: 1) Footmen, 2) Archers, 3) Cavalry
Footmen: 1) Footmen, 2) Cavalry, 3) Archers

During an attack on a region with walls, the order of attacks goes differently.
Archers: 1) Archers, 2) Footmen, 3) Cavalry
Footmen: 1) Footmen, 2) Archers, 3) Cavalry
Cavalry: 1) Cavalry, 2) Footmen, 3) Archers

Regiments will automatically switch to attacking their next priority target after the die that killed the last living first priority target.

Structures

Wall
Grants the defenders +1 Protection and changes the attack order for battles fought in that region (see Regiments).
Cost: 10 points

Mages Guild
Activates all spells you have researched in that region.
Cost: 8 points

Fighters Guild
Automatically recruits a footman in that region each turn.
Cost: 7 points

Thieves Guild
Adjacent enemy regions have their production reduced by 1 points each turn.
Cost: 5 points

Crafters Hall
Increases production in that region by 3 points each turn.

Trading Post
Increases production in that region by 2 points each turn for each ally that has a Trading Post in an adjacent area.
Cost: 6 points

Technologies

Masonry
Reduce the cost to build Structures by 1 production point.

Locksmith
Thieves guilds reduce enemy production by 2 points instead of 1.

Sabotage
Each turn, you may attempt to destroy a Structure in an adjacent enemy or neutral territory using your Thieves Guild. Sabotage happens during the Movement phase. A 10-sided die will be rolled against the (unmodified) cost of the structure you are trying to destroy. If the result is equal or higher, your sabotage is successful.
Cost: 20 points

Draft
Allows allies to recruit regiments in territories you own if a Fighters Guild is present.
Cost: 15 points

Tribute
If you own a Trading Post adjacent to an ally's Trading Post, you can give 2 (regular region) or 5 (rich region) of your production points to that ally during the Production phase.

Lecture
Allies get a 2 points discount when researching Technologies and Magic you already know.

Home Turf
When attacking a region in the homeland of your race, you make your attack rolls before the defender does.
Bretons: High Rock
Orcs: High Rock and Hammerfell
Redguards: Hammerfell
Nords: Skyrim
Dunmer: Morrowind
Argonians: Black Marsh
Altmer: Summerset Isle
Bosmer: Valenwood
Khajit: Elsweyr

High Ground
When defending, your Archers gain +1 to their Attack rolls.

Hail of Arrows
When attacking a region with a wall, your Archers gain +1 to their Attack rolls.
Cost: 12 points

Siege Towers
When attacking a region with a wall, your Footmen gain +1 to their Attack rolls.

Tower Shields
Your Footmen gain +1 Protection against Archers

Warhorses
Your Cavalry can make a double move action, provided the first move goes through a friendly region.

Trample
When fighting in a region without walls, your Cavalry regiments gain +1 to their Attack rolls against Archers and Footmen.

Lances
Your cavalry gains +1 to their Attack rolls against Cavalry.

Magic

Teleportation Chamber
Allows allies to use their spells through your Mage Guilds. In case of combat spells, this only applies if the ally has regiments participating in the combat.

Summoning
When defending a region with a Mage Guild, you gain 3 extra "Footmen" regiments to fight for you for the duration of the battle. When an enemy regiment attacks Footmen, the summonings are hit first. They attack like regular Footmen.

Fireball
When attacking from a region that has a Mage Guild, you gain 5 extra "Archer" attack rolls.

Fear
When attacking from a region that has a Mage Guild, the defenders lose 2 attack rolls of each regiment type.

Healing
When defending a region with a Mage Guild, if you manage to win the battle then one lost regiment of each type will be brought back to life.

Transmute
Increases production in each of your regions with a Mage Guild by 1 point per turn. (with Teleportation Chamber, allies can further increase this up to 3 points)

Detect Life
When a Sabotage attempt is made against a region with a Mage Guild, the roll receives a -1 penalty.
Cost: 7 points

BorkBot
February 12th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Updated.

This game will need 6-9 players. Anyone interested?

Ash
February 12th, 2013, 04:52 PM
TL;DR: IMPERIALS OR STORMCLOAKS

BorkBot
February 12th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Actually the imperials are everyone's enemy and the stormcloaks don't exist yet :p

Agent Red
February 12th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I'm interested in this.

Nick
February 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM
/sign

BorkBot
February 13th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Added 2 techs. Anyone else interested in this? It won't really work with less than 6 players :/

Gingerape
February 14th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I might~ *nod* i enjoy risk

Hypersniper
May 31st, 2013, 04:58 PM
I will play if I'm the khajit so my foot men r sneaky fear rain races need a bounus and downside here's what I think khajit can move 1 extra step/region and trading post give 1 extra.cons Archers do 1 less damage and all magic cost 1 extra research points. Not sure on alter and bosmer.
Aragoinion: pros: magic cost 1 less and magic dies +1 damage cons: footmen do -1 damage and fighter guild cost 2 more.
Nords: pros: footmen do+1 damage and walls cost 1less cons: at a random turn after turn 3 a revolt can start in a territory u own if not taken out the territory goes neuteral because if imperials/stormcloaks and dragons take over a nation at a random turn after turn 6 these keep going randomly all game