PDA

View Full Version : New hosting system

Faceless
April 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
The new system that was implemented last night-ish (which allows a random player to be chosen as host with majority's vote allowed to -repick a host) is really, really, REALLY bad. It's allowing completely new players to pretty much destroy a lobby or trolls to deliberately screw things up for everyone else. I seriously loved the previous system. I could host a game of my own, open it to public, and then tweak the settings just right. Now that isn't an option. My friends and I seriously must've played this like 15 times in a row last night before the change took place, but now we're really not even that interested just because you have to get really lucky to get a good host chosen at random who will make the settings fun for everyone.

That being said, I really love this game and it has ridiculous potential if it's done right. I'd say the new host system in a step in the wrong direction and I'd advise setting it back to how it used to be (lobby host is default game host). Maybe keep the -repick function incase there's a crappy lobby host. I'm willing to bet that more often than not the original lobby host will know what he's doing, though.

Thanks for reading.

tacokiller99199
April 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I think a problem some people seem to be having is when someone picks a game mode involving civilians, if you pick that game mode everyone starts complaining and assume you don't know what you are doing.

I actually like Civilians myself.

Dark.Revenant
April 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I'd like to clarify some confusion.

The reason you think it's random is that the game stats were reset in that update; everyone went back to 0 games. Thus, the first time you finished (to the game over white flash/sound), you had 0 games while some other guy had 1; he became the host.

The algorithm goes like this:
1. Average up the games played by all the players (max 20 per player for this calculation)
2. Multiply by 2/3; let's call this result X
3. Loop through players 1-14 in that order (player 1 is usually the host); if the player is above both 0 and X in terms of games finished, then he's the host, otherwise pass to the next player. Also skip players who have been repicked from.
4. If nobody from that loop made it as host, then do a simple loop from players 1-14, once more skipping the repicked hosts.
5. If nobody made it from THAT (game with lots of trolls), then do a basic loop from players 1-14 with no other conditions to find out the host.

To repick the host, you need 75% - 1 of the votes, rounding to the nearest integer. In a 14-player game, you need TEN votes to repick a host. I can't imagine that would happen very often or very quickly.

To summarize: play a couple games to the finish and you won't have problems. The reason this was a bad experience for you is because I had to reset the stats to add bank signatures.

Omgproberush
April 11th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Glad to know there's an algorithm. I'm ending up as host now, but it was frustrating for the first few games, as some random guy who played 1 game would get it and put in some ridiculous settings that made for an awful game (no, there shouldn't be 4 vigilantes!).

As for the repick, it happens a lot if the person is somewhat slow in picking settings. Even as soon as 5 seconds after you're able to change the settings, there's usually 2 repicks, because of some idiots who feel like they should type it in or whatever. Oh well, I'm usually really fast in setting up a game so they don't actually get a chance to repick.

Trenix
April 13th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Repicks shouldn't be allowed until a few seconds of the game. I almost always see a player -repick for the hell of it. Then conformity does it's toll which makes everyone do the same. I have to always type in chat that I'm here in order for them to relax.