PDA

View Full Version : -Mafia-

Dark.Revenant
April 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM
http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/Mafia.png (http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,35.0.html)

Examiner: National Online Games (http://www.examiner.com/online-games-in-national/mafia-starcraft-ii-review)
4/5 -- "Mafia has all the allure of those party-night murder-mystery game boxes, and you can play through one in significantly less time. Grab your friends, serve some popcorn, and hide your identity – Mafia is a StarCraft II custom map worth playing." -- Daniel Tack (Mafia Review)

NEW! Now released is Mafia Simulator (http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,2358.0.html), by Illidan and Raiden. This program simulates Mafia games and graphs out which groups win. It's a good way of balancing your setup and figuring out how games will go. It also includes a game log so that you can read each event that happens in the simulated games! This impressive program has many features and is worth a try.

Also see Rp's Lie Detector (http://www.thecouncilofmages.com/forum/index.php/topic,793.0.html), by Logante.

Available in the AM, EU, KR/TW, and SEA servers!
Available in English and Chinese!

What is Mafia?
Mafia is basically a faithful rendition of the party game of the same name, which you can learn about at http://wiki.epicmafia.com and http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page.

At a basic level, Mafia is like Survivor, if it were played with guns. At night, the mafia elect to kill someone. At day, the town votes to lynch somebody. The mafia win when the town is dead and the town wins when the mafia are gone.

Of course, that's the simplest possible setup. There are in reality many roles and variations that can be used; my rendition of Mafia tries to include lots of options, but it is impossible to include all of the possible house rules that people might want (I'd be working until the day I die and not make even half of them).

For this reason, my Mafia will include roughly three dozen roles, many of which are familiar to veteran players, but some of which will be fairly unique. There are many options, but this is still my interpretation of the game; I have optimized the experience and game mechanics to work best with the battle.net service and playerbase.

What are the features?

Many combinations of options and role setups
Lots of custom UI, including a full-feature setup screen
Customized chat and log system
Dynamic tutorial system (optional)
Carefully-made game mechanics that flow smoothly and react dynamically
Lots of polish, including a natural day-night lighting scheme, weather, and several execution methods
Variant save slot
Stats tracking, points leaderboard, and points rewards
Custom-made UI art by Irrational and Dgrayed
Custom-composed music track by KingAdamXVII

What is done so far?
There are currently 32 roles (with about three dozen in total planned) and countless combinations of game options and role setups with more to come in the future. Beyond that, all of the game mechanics are finished. I will also add more execution types later on when I get bored.

Where can I play Mafia?
Play it on American, European, or Southeast Asian battle net, under the name -Mafia-. You can organize matches in the Mafia channel; this is the preferred method because the players are much less likely to leave mid-game and will be more knowledgeable about Mafia.

Yayap
April 10th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I like the game, but would like to see how to leave the last will in the tips screen. Everyone is asking that question each game.
I know it has something to do with -last will, but have not been able to make it work for me yet. When do you have to type it in? and how is the exact wording?

ex: -last will john doe is mafia
-lastwill john doe is mafia
-last will: john doe is mafia

Dark.Revenant
April 11th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Your first guess is right.

-last will I leave all my belongings to the house cat. My landlord gets a boot to the head.

The instructions for the last will are something of a bonus for the people who bother to play with tutorial on.

Faceless
April 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hey, I was wondering if you ever intend to add the ability to choose your character's gender model?

tacokiller99199
April 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM
What is the music track you use at night?

Dark.Revenant
April 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
The music I use is in the credits. It's from The Godfather.

Also, the problem I have with the female gender model is it has few animations; the executions would look really screwed up for females. If someone can give me a female model with ALL of the male animations, I'll allow different genders.

Sean
April 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Trigger errors...
the last 6 games or so I've tried to join can't start due to a trigger error.

largowinch
April 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Please fix the last issue. Also it could be cool to have something to keep between games (more stats, and with 10 mafias kill, a mouse that follows you for example (people like that kind of thing, so do I, its funny :D )). Since characters are not moving... I don't know what it could be...

Kyle W
April 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM
i suggest a new role, called lawmaker ( town) and maybe a ditto for the mafia. his ability would be a one time overrule of the vote(or majority) or stop someone from being lynched

Faceless
April 12th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Revenant, what other roles did you have in mind? I read that you plan on something like 3 dozen. Do you have any roles planned right now?

Dark.Revenant
April 12th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Well, for starters I am adding the following roles this week:

Governor
Skeleton
Elephant
Tree
Creeper
Necromancer
Carpenter
Herbalist
Grave Digger
Rapist
Prophet
Rodrigo
Shogun
Homosexual

Hint: Two or three of those are real

Faceless
April 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Lol okay :P

I think I know which is which. It'll be fun seeing new roles.

Yayap
April 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM
This needs to be fixed, Mics are not disabled when dead. The dead can talk to the living using voice chat.

Faceless
April 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I suggest putting a 1.5-3 second cooldown on vote changing. It's pretty annoying when someone spam changes/cancels their vote to drown out the chat.

Dark.Revenant
April 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM
This needs to be fixed, Mics are not disabled when dead. The dead can talk to the living using voice chat.

Impossible.

Frogsterking
April 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
It happens like every other game...it's really annoying

tuderen
April 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Love the game man, well done! Any place you can see your total score though? Either ingame or on a website? Or does it not keep track?

Dark.Revenant
April 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM
You can see them in the local rankings part of the help menu during the game

icarus
April 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Who is exactly on Global Ranking? All EU players ? The players you crossed during games ? I'm on a race to get higher points and would like to know more about ...

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
April 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
The second one. The list changes everytime you, or someone else, play a game with someone with large amounts of points. It should update every game, spreading it around. Same way Rodrigo did Debates. where we hacked it and had names like aok.jupo and david-davidson as the top rankers.

Misery
April 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM
After playing for a while, with a total score of just under 200 at the current moment (even after reset), I'm sort of miffed about 2 things.

Godfather detection immunity. This makes it basically impossible for a sheriff or investigator to get anywhere once they eliminate the other mafia. The Godfather can just slide in his vote in the middle of other players and be safe and sound without any threat of death.. especially when paired with 'immune at night'. Likewise, when Serial Killer is gotten as a 'random any' or 'random neutral', there's no way to beat them because they too are immune to detection. And as a sheriff, you don't ever want to lynch a doctor, so the Sheriff is put into an impossible position when confronted with an investigator that has given two 'knife' responses and you're left with two apparent doctors when the serial killer has 'immune' checked (which is the default random). It basically becomes random guessing at that point, which really isn't in the spirit of the game. Either the Godfather needs to not be immune to detection and inherit the mafioso's ability to kill, or he needs to not be able to kill without the mafioso.. this needs to be an either/or choice and not a multiple checkmark choice. Hosts shouldn't be allowed to random in both choices by luck. It's ridiculous dealing with an immune serial killer because you might as well be rolling dice instead of playing mafia, but it's worse than that.. because a serial killer acting suspicious -STILL READS AS INNOCENT- to the sheriff. And it's not like the sheriff should disregard that information. Why would they? Exonerating people is one of the biggest perks to being the sheriff, and when your detection is meaningless, why even be a sheriff? You're just a citizen at that point, and a poor one at that, because now you're giving false information. That's what jesters are for. That's what framers are for. Having immune GF or immune SK is basically giving them a lazy way out, and making it the default for random versions of either is absolutely terrible design.

Clawtrocity
April 29th, 2011, 02:18 PM
All of these things you are saying are options in the game. You can turn off godfather immunity at night, to detection, his ability to kill without a mafioso. Random Neutral and Random Any aren't defaulted to any certain settings either...They follow the same traits that they have in the options menu at the start.

From what I've seen on the new patch there seems to be a comprehensive tutorial guide showing all the roles and options selected for each of them. It's pretty intuitive and allows you to, at the very least, understand what options are turned on and off so you can make better decisions throughout the course of the game.

In the scenario you mentioned above when you're given 2 people with knives and you know one is a doc and the other is an SK then the best option is to not kill either of them and trick the SK into attacking someone else. Obviously if the doctor is dead in the morning you know who the real SK is, but if the SK picks the investigator or sheriff and the real doctor heals them then it's all good...This is why the PM system is so powerful.

Message both people the following messages:
"If you're really the doctor then heal me the sheriff, I'm sending this same message to the other guy"
"If you're really the doctor then heal the investigator, I just sent this same message to the other guy."

The SK will then try to attack the opposite person in his message thinking the other guy would get healed...Boom SK gets lynched.

There are very few random decisions that actually need to be made in Mafia, if you think on your feet you can win any game.

Morgil
April 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I have a question.
Anyone else experienced as doc, that your target dies, though you healed him/her? I had this three times now and I am 100% sure, I did not get roleblocked or bewitched or something...

Bluebird
April 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have a question.
Anyone else experienced as doc, that your target dies, though you healed him/her? I had this three times now and I am 100% sure, I did not get roleblocked or bewitched or something...

I'm pretty sure that happens when two different parties try to kill you the same night. Ex. mafia hits, doc saves, sk hits.

Searix
May 5th, 2011, 01:18 PM
^ Is not true. Only time someone that is being healed can die is if Witch controls him to shoot himself

Afumba
May 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I had ppls claiming about that in games were i was in too...
They got killed twice and healed but died... even if normally they should survive.

Never happened to me personally tho - so i just can give intel about ppls complaining about it.

Deolrin
May 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
If you're hit by two different people, you die, even if you get saved by a doctor.
It's even written in the doctor's description.

Marshall
May 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
2 docs can heal you ^^
it's really easy. you have 1 hp. every "kill" is a "-1". every heal is a "+1". simple math

Elixir
May 6th, 2011, 12:36 AM
2 docs can heal you ^^
it's really easy. you have 1 hp. every "kill" is a "-1". every heal is a "+1". simple math

This is correct.

Deolrin
May 6th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Yes, I never argued against that. :P

ShadowsEdge
May 7th, 2011, 02:38 AM
In the scenario you mentioned above when you're given 2 people with knives and you know one is a doc and the other is an SK then the best option is to not kill either of them and trick the SK into attacking someone else. Obviously if the doctor is dead in the morning you know who the real SK is, but if the SK picks the investigator or sheriff and the real doctor heals them then it's all good...This is why the PM system is so powerful.

Message both people the following messages:
"If you're really the doctor then heal me the sheriff, I'm sending this same message to the other guy"
"If you're really the doctor then heal the investigator, I just sent this same message to the other guy."

The SK will then try to attack the opposite person in his message thinking the other guy would get healed...Boom SK gets lynched.

There are very few random decisions that actually need to be made in Mafia, if you think on your feet you can win any game.

Not if the SK messages the doctor saying that he's the sheriff/invest and tells the doc to heal him first. If everyone thinks on their feet, it's gonna be an epic game of wits :D

Phoenix
May 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Impossible.

but another thing is, when someone is lagging or droping,
the dead is able to communicate with the alives.
quite a hard issue.

btw
i really want to play this in China server as I got friends there. And this map is translated and published there but not up to date. also, your name is not mentioned anywhere.

I want to have up to date map in CN server playable= =
if it's fine to talk more, contact me.
zjcadd@msn.com

Omgproberush
May 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
quite a hard issue.
Yeah, these are the kinds of things that can't be changed. Unless Blizzard puts in a way to disable mics or "lag" chat (unlikely) it's not happening, ever.

Logante
May 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
quite a hard issue.
Yeah, these are the kinds of things that can't be changed. Unless Blizzard puts in a way to disable mics or "lag" chat (unlikely) it's not happening, ever.

This is called a feature next patch, lol.

DeadDiver
May 27th, 2011, 07:04 PM
it is impossible, they talking with vent, or TS. silly cheaters, Mafia for real men

Squiggy_Coco
May 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hey, i'm subbed to this guys blog and he gave it 4/5 stars today. Got the link from the site. Gonna play it for sure seems awesome :)

http://www.examiner.com/online-games-in-national/mafia-starcraft-ii-review (http://www.examiner.com/online-games-in-national/mafia-starcraft-ii-review)Mafia | StarCraft II

Dark.Revenant
May 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
This is really good news! Thanks for posting.

CyanBlade
June 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Well, for starters I am adding the following roles this week:

Tree

Hint: Two or three of those are real

.................. what?

ethelion
June 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Hello my name is Ethelion, i play mafia and its very good game, and i do that now. But,
I want to show you something - my epic win with Jailor, when I made fools from the Mafia, and all in graveyard say "WTF!". Words can not describe this, please see my record:

http://www.mediafire.com/?k4d7pk49062i4y6

wightsnow
June 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hello my name is Ethelion, i play mafia and its very good game, and i do that now. But,
I want to show you something - my epic win with Jailor, when I made fools from the Mafia, and all in graveyard say "WTF!". Words can not describe this, please see my record:

http://www.mediafire.com/?k4d7pk49062i4y6

Cool, but maybe should have started a new thread for this.

AifaM rawdoorB
June 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
You should make mafia more like the brood war mafia game, even though this is really fun Bw mafia was cunner and had more play. If you don't know what scar craft brood war mafia is you should look it up!

RichardNixon
July 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
DR, I love the game more than any other mod on SC2, but the last patch overwrote my save and won't let me start a match alone to set up a new one any more. I can't add roles or even see the possible roles in the save mode. I can in custom, but typing -save does not cause whatever I set up to show up in the save slot next game.

Hero
July 9th, 2011, 03:57 AM
"And don't cheat by making people read their rolecard.". What? Is that cheating? How so?

Dark.Revenant
July 9th, 2011, 04:17 AM
More accurate would be "don't be a douche bag," but I put "don't cheat" to prevent the map from being banned again.

Quakka
July 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
The map was already banned once ?

Deolrin
July 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, in the US, because he had roles called "Hooker" and "Stripper".

J0hnnyB0y
August 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Impossible.

Man that's worse than cheating with lag chat :P

Dark.Revenant
August 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
At some point mics stopped working. Maybe because everyone is unallied?

J0hnnyB0y
August 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Oh that's sweet, btw is blizzard on ur case at all about not having censory in ur game? Just wondering cuz i see swearing a lot in the game lol

Graham
August 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
you can turn on anti swearing in ur options.. so shit will looks like ****

Inca_Killa
August 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
More accurate would be "don't be a douche bag," but I put "don't cheat" to prevent the map from being banned again.

Blizzard is like small children playing with assault rifles and knives. They fuck everything up and might kill someone(My sanity.)

A little exaggeration but wow they piss me off :D.