PDA

View Full Version : Random Townie Masons fix; Miller/Martyr Roles

BuddyBoller
May 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
I found a pretty good balance which utilizes a few random towns... unfortunately all to common is a mason left all alone. Make an "[] Exclude Masons" in the random any and town options; either that or have an "[] No Random Masons, [] 2 Total Masons are Acceptable, [] 3 Total Masons are Acceptable" etc.

I also think it would be great to have a "Miller"/"Outsider" who appears guilty although innocent (to balance w/ GF) as well as a "Martyr" who is essentially a Jester that only wins if he is lynched AND the town wins as well (essentially a less game spoiling Jester who has to figure the best time to actually get himself lynched rather than give Mafia an essential free kill)

Dark.Revenant
May 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
I have improved the random algorithm enough that the lone mason is very rare; basically, as it's looping through the various options and adding the roles to the players, it has a very small chance of picking Mason. If a Mason is picked, the next random town that's computed will have a 100% chance of being a mason. A third one has about a 35% chance to appear. You have more chance of lone masons if you have fewer random town slots or if you use random any slots (because the random any first picks the alignment before the role -- if it doesn't pick town, the next-loop-is-100%-mason rule does not apply.

In all, with 3 random town slots and 0 random any slots, the chance of having a lone mason is 3.9%. Exactly 2 masons is
6.5%, and all three masons is 1.9%. With this setup, there is a 12.3% chance of having any amount of masons and in this case if you have masons, there is about a 32% chance that he is alone. That's about as good as I can get it. (With more random towns, the chance of having a lone mason lowers slightly while the chance of having multiple masons increases considerably). Keep in mind that as the number of random town slots increases and approaches infinity, the chance of a lone mason approaches zero and the chance of multiple masons approaches 100%.

Miller is a planned role, but I think Martyr would be superfluous.

Drizzt1
May 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
Have you given any consideration to some type of Mason leader, with extra abilities? Masons seem to have a hard time finding their role. No one wants to be a mason, and if people are them...they have no direction/motivation.

I enjoy masons; they are really useful with a good team.

Metnik
May 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
No one wants to be a mason, and if people are them...they have no direction/motivation.

Eh? They don't lynch each other and share common sense among each other so they all have it.

Drizzt1
May 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I hope that is sarcasm, but no...

FrostByte
August 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM
DR may want to revisit this role suggestion.
I think it would be a good idea to implement this into the current metagame.

also... pro necro because it's on topic and relevant to today.

Yep.

creedkingsx
August 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
I actually do agree. Putting an option in Masons to exclude it, since it only has like 1 or 2 options anyway, would be good.

Guardian
August 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
Maybe you can force the algorithm to reset if it detects a lone mason at the end of it?
like: IF Number of Mason = 1, reset. Or something like that.

Bruno
August 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
The only reason why Frostbyte necro'd this is because Miller is in the title. He was drawn to it the way a fly is drawn to shit.