PDA

View Full Version : FM Timer

creedkingsx
December 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
I don't know if this is simple, or what, but I think it would be good to have a timer. Something that will automatically open and close FM threads at certain times so there is never an issue whether or not a host can close it themselves.
the way I imagine this could work is like the voting system.
For the first post of the thread, put a code such as this:

And it will start the timer from the creation of the day. If the thread is closed early from a lynch, it will reset to the night timer.

Yayap
December 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
>.>
don't you dare suggest the ugly thing somewhere....

TimeTrx
December 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
As long as Oops programs it, I'm ok with it! :blink1:

Roflcopter
December 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
As long as Oops programs it, I'm ok with it! :blink1:

This.

Damus_Graves
December 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
+1

Yayap
December 3rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
as long as once the timer expires, it starts a new timer to show how late the host is (instead of night)... >.>

Cryptonic
December 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Sweet! All we'd need after this is computer generated setups lol

creedkingsx
December 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Sweet! All we'd need after this is computer generated setups lol

S-fm hosts have proven to be extremely unreliable lately. lol

Cryptonic
December 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
S-fm hosts have proven to be extremely unreliable lately. lol

I agree, but only because I haven't hosted in a while :P
But, I could see this actually being very useful. Me likey.

creedkingsx
December 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
@Yayap I knwo you would never miss a beat, as host, but a LOT of the s-fm hosts have been lately.
And it's sucks knowing that if you are scum, town get extra time during the day or if you are town, scum get extra time during the night.

clementine
December 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
One of my biggest pet hates is hosts not opening/closing day on time. *cough Glip* *cough* *cough*

Also as a side note, sometimes it's useful to make a night action deadline 1 hour before day starts so hosts can time out sending back night results (with the 1 pm every 60 seconds wait delay) so that they can post the new day information promptly on time with all night feedback having been sent out. That's what I do anyway.

I remember for my s-fm, I opened day while out shopping from my phone, sending out night results and almost had a panic attack since day started 6 minutes late. I doubt anybody really cared except for me. :P Oh, and I also typed up two epilogues so I could post whichever version (mafia win or town win) was appropriate as soon as a player was hammered.

Roflcopter
December 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
I always do day/night on time unless something really big comes up.

clementine
December 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Sorry, I forgot where I was going with that post...

As a further suggestion (I don't know if this is possible), but it would be helpful if hosts can queue beginning/end of day posts like you can on some blogs and set the time that the post is submitted to the thread at a future time (promptly when day is supposed to end). Does that make sense?

creedkingsx
December 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
At leas they changed the 60 second delay. :P

Sorry, I forgot where I was going with that post...

As a further suggestion (I don't know if this is possible), but it would be helpful if hosts can queue beginning/end of day posts like you can on some blogs and set the time that the post is submitted to the thread at a future time (promptly when day is supposed to end). Does that make sense?

Yeah, like have RP and graveyard and such pre-written in case you aren't there to post when day starts.

clementine
December 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
At leas they changed the 60 second delay. :P

Yeah, like have RP and graveyard and such pre-written in case you aren't there to post when day starts.

OMG really? For animal M-FM I sent out 20 role PM's to the anon accounts, 20 PM's to each player's real forum account, and approximately 13 PM's to reserve/observer players = 53 minutes of waiting around sending PM's. x_____x And ever since, I've not really wanted to host again... x_____x

creedkingsx
December 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
yeah I think it is 5 seconds now. :P

oops_ur_dead
December 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
I can have it so that the thread will open/close when someone views it. Good enough I suppose.

Also I won't be having threads automatically open when night is over because then hosts don't have time to get night actions processed. Doing this won't make them work any faster.

Just as an aside, would it be useful if the Godfather PMed you when someone in your FM gets lynched?

Glip
December 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
I can have it so that the thread will open/close when someone views it. Good enough I suppose.

Also I won't be having threads automatically open when night is over because then hosts don't have time to get night actions processed. Doing this won't make them work any faster.

Just as an aside, would it be useful if the Godfather PMed you when someone in your FM gets lynched?

You mean PM the host? Or the players in the game too?

If it's just the host, then sure, sounds like a good idea.

oops_ur_dead
December 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
Yeah the host.

MoDTassadar
December 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
as long as once the timer expires, it starts a new timer to show how late the host is (instead of night)... >.>

Yayap's worst nightmare: Being unpunctual.

BorkBot
December 3rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Yayap's worst nightmare: Being unpunctual.

Don't you mean anyone being equally punctual as he is? Automated punctuality would just be a jab at his pride, lol.

I'm probably one of the least punctual hosts on this board. It's not uncommon for me to be late an hour or two, especially when it comes to writing RP. Sometimes RP just gets delayed a while after the day start itself is posted. I've also had problems with night chats closing before the deadline, because if you have a night chat you might want to make last minute responses when something crosses your mind or give some last minute revelations (mainly if it's possible that someone in your night chat could be part of multiple night chats or if a jailor might have executed you if you said it sooner). And night chats with people in other time zones can be problematic with shorter nights. Personally I'd be more bothered if I couldn't give my players a full day to submit night actions, too. So I just don't send out PM's until the designated day's end. The lowered restrictions on PM spam were a godsend in that regard.

The only important rule is that if you're going to be late with the day start, you need to be consistent about it :D

CmG
December 3rd, 2012, 10:35 PM
And this is what really happens in the night chats....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iogMDNICkAI

Jim
December 3rd, 2012, 10:47 PM
Ya I think just closing day would be enough and then wait for the host to start/end the night would be really the best.

Blazer
December 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Good idea! Many more programs for Oops to make! xD

Lysergic
December 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Only if the timer is FUCKING HUGE and takes up half the page, and is just BUTT ugly.

You know, like my other favorite site.

AppleyNO
December 5th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Only if the timer is FUCKING HUGE and takes up half the page, and is just BUTT ugly.

T.T

creedkingsx
December 5th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Not a timer for the people, just something to close the thread automatically.
Actually completely unrelated to that site, but we will bring it up for no reason anyway, I suppose.
:P

Lysergic
December 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Not a timer for the people, just something to close the thread automatically.
Actually completely unrelated to that site, but we will bring it up for no reason anyway, I suppose.
:P

Not the timer that this city deserves, but the one it needs right now.

Blazer
December 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Not the timer that this city deserves, but the one it needs right now.

Ok. You are winning. Fix the rep meter so i can rep you.

RaikouRider
December 11th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Oops must really enjoy programming the site.

I think this is a good idea, because I cannot STAND AFK hosts.

oops_ur_dead
December 11th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Dude, not only am I going to shamelessly copy their idea, I'll also improve it in a multitude of ways. It'll be in comic sans, and flash bright colours.

Hell, I even made a mockup:
http://i.imgur.com/hRzM3.gif

I think ours beats theirs out in the aesthetics department for sure. What do you guys think?

Blazer
December 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Dude, not only am I going to shamelessly copy their idea, I'll also improve it in a multitude of ways. It'll be in comic sans, and flash bright colours.

Hell, I even made a mockup:
http://i.imgur.com/hRzM3.gif

I think ours beats theirs out in the aesthetics department for sure. What do you guys think?

Needs to flash faster and be bigger.

oops_ur_dead
December 14th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Just so you guys don't think I've forgotten about this idea, I want to point out that it's about a 3 second addition and I could do it right now if I wanted to, but I'm trying to get it in a presentable format with a countdown and everything. I'll probably have it done sometime in the next couple of days.