PDA

View Full Version : Better organized/moderated site discussion

Roflcopter
November 29th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I petition for an overhaul of site discussion, with subcategories such as "ignored/outdated suggestions" "site suggestions" "bug reports" "approved suggestions" and mod/s to keep it organized.

No more random spammy posts in here, turn this into a legitimate site feature and issue tracker!

Glip
November 29th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I petition for an overhaul of site discussion, with subcategories such as "ignored/outdated suggestions" "site suggestions" "bug reports" "approved suggestions" and mod/s to keep it organized.

No more random spammy posts in here, turn this into a legitimate site feature and issue tracker!

I don't think ignored/outdated suggestions would need its own category. You could keep an archive of rejected suggestions, so people know not to keep suggesting the same stuff that's already been vetoed, but any suggestion that's just been ignored as of yet is still open to discussion. It'd be up to a moderator's discretion to archive/delete a thread that's become outdated and is no longer applicable to the site as it currently exists.

Aside from that, I'm all for this.

Slaol
November 29th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Also a sub-forum that only Creed can't see.

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/15191-sad?p=244951#post244951

TimeTrx
November 29th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Do you guys realize how long anything takes to get done with the site? Practically anything minor is shelved for at least 3 weeks until oops can do it on his free time. Besides we don't even have a mod for this section to implement what your suggesting, it would have to fall to the super mods or higher and come on like they don't already have enough to do.

Also a sub-forum that only Creed can't see.

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/15191-sad?p=244951#post244951

No, Creed is cool, why would you want to do that?

Roflcopter
November 29th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Do you guys realize how long anything takes to get done with the site? Practically anything minor is shelved for at least 3 weeks until oops can do it on his free time. Besides we don't even have a mod for this section to implement what your suggesting, it would have to fall to the super mods or higher and come on like they don't already have enough to do.

Not true, sig line increase, voting counters, choosable rep, etc was implemented very quickly.

As for mods.. ;)

Glip
November 29th, 2012, 12:49 AM

No, Creed is cool, why would you want to do that?

They could easily promote a new mod, or really, it wouldn't be entirely infeasible to have a smod do it. We do have 4 smods now instead of the usual 3, and it's not like Site Discussion gets posted in all that often, so it wouldn't be that much of a work burden.

Lysergic
November 29th, 2012, 01:03 AM
They could easily promote a new mod, or really, it wouldn't be entirely infeasible to have a smod do it.

There are 4 now.

And I'm against having 3-4 new subforums for such an inactive section. But there will be close mod attention in here now, since I already read this section pretty closely when there are new threads.

creedkingsx
November 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM
There are 4 now.

And I'm against having 3-4 new subforums for such an inactive section. But there will be close mod attention in here now, since I already read this section pretty closely when there are new threads.

Yeah, I am against it also.

Also, Lix doesn't entirely count since he isn't the most active. We just wub him in blue.

TimeTrx
November 29th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Not true, sig line increase, voting counters, choosable rep, etc was implemented very quickly.

As for mods.. ;)

Listen I understand what you are saying, but here is the deal. Sig line increase was probably an easy problem. It was most likely a predetermined amount that Oops knew how to change before hand, heck it could been a simple type/click in the A-CP. The voting counters, was a hard implement and if you remember it took a solid week of Oops (constantly) working on it, its not as easy as it looks and took effort on his part. Choosable rep again it took some effort on Oops behalf, it wasn't just proof! Oops had to do some work. Listen I'm not saying it is a bad idea, it is just unreasonable for the staff to put so much effort for every single problem and request in such a quick time.

They could easily promote a new mod, or really, it wouldn't be entirely infeasible to have a smod do it. We do have 4 smods now instead of the usual 3, and it's not like Site Discussion gets posted in all that often, so it wouldn't be that much of a work burden.

Again not saying it is a bad idea, but it is not needed we have under 50 'regular' users on the site and when was the last time we had a major bug on the site? It is not like the threads in this section are necro'ed without good reason.

Raptorblaze
November 29th, 2012, 01:16 AM
tl;dr Roflcopter campaigning for a mod-ship.

Lysergic
November 29th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I am going through and moving all suggestions into this subforum (Suggestions). I am changing thread tags for older threads to line up with whether or not the idea was Rejected or Accepted/Implemented. If no consensus was ever reached, I am leaving the thread tag-less and open so that it can be necro'd for further discussion.

That seems organized enough. The main Site Disc forum will still be for bitching about mods / bug reports / general site issues that aren't suggestions.

Brendan
November 29th, 2012, 07:56 AM

I already tried to get oops to do it a long time ago, it's not happening.

Legacy
November 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM
You're still sore about being demoted, aren't you.

TimeTrx
November 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM
You're still sore about being demoted, aren't you.
And.......... /thread

EDIT: Before a flame-fest starts.

Blazer
November 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
dafuq? Slaol is green? He's mod staff?

Btw great idea. Site Disc should be what it was designed for O.o

Damus_Graves
November 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I can support this choice.

oops_ur_dead
November 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
The voting counters, was a hard implement and if you remember it took a solid week of Oops (constantly) working on it, its not as easy as it looks and took effort on his part.

Actually it took me like 2-3 hours.

Roflcopter
November 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Actually it took me like 2-3 hours.

My point exactly.

Suggestions don't take "forever" to implement. Or even that long if oops actually wants to implement it.

Lysergic
November 29th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I just don't get why we need 4 subforums for Site Discussion. What will the main forum be used for? Or will it be more dead than it is?

There are two active threads in this forum/subforum right now. We really need a stand alone moderator and 4 subforums to manage 2 active threads?

Roflcopter
November 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
The idea was to make it like player reports are now, ideas/suggestions/bug reports would be discussed and processed, moved to relevant category, etc.

Lysergic
November 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I understand the concept; I just don't think it is necessary. Player Reports is the most active section of the site, generally with multiple new topics every day. It is organized so thoroughly to make implementing punishments easier.

This, on the other hand, is one of the least active sections, and has no effect in-game. Thus, doesn't need multiple subforums for organization. That's just my opinion, though; if people REALLY want this, I don't feel particularly strongly either way.

Roflcopter
November 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM
A lot of things aren't necessary but make things look better and get them to be more organized.

Lysergic
November 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Eh; if oops wants it and most members want it (as seems to be the case), then I'm fine with it.

Though I still don't think we need dedicated staff for this section (again due to lack of activity). That would be different if SD was as active as it was, say, a month or two ago.

Roflcopter
November 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM
This might make it more active.

AppleyNO
November 29th, 2012, 05:09 PM
To be honest, having a Site Discussion then suggestions seems a little redundant to me.

creedkingsx
November 29th, 2012, 10:34 PM
This might make it more active.

I fail to see the logic behind this.

CmG
November 30th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Guys I have a great idea! Why don't we create a new forum called. Spam corner and its nearly unmoderated so everybody can have fun there and troll as much as they like! I bet this will raise the quality of sc2mafia and atract awesome and cool people!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA:.... No!

Blazer
November 30th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Guys I have a great idea! Why don't we create a new forum called. Spam corner and its nearly unmoderated so everybody can have fun there and troll as much as they like! I bet this will raise the quality of sc2mafia and atract awesome and cool people!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA:.... No!

Yes and lets call it Circlejerk!

HUHEHUEHEUHEUEHUEHUE...srsly lets do it....jking

creedkingsx
November 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Yes and lets call it Circlejerk!

HUHEHUEHEUHEUEHUEHUE...srsly lets do it....jking

that's been done, silly! This is Spam corner, completely different!

uh HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
(Back on topic) I still think this is an unnecessary change.