PDA

View Full Version : Name and Color bias?

Gaara
April 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM
How many others feel that the fake name created by players may have an impact on whether or not they die sooner? and that darker colored people are easier to believe to be Mafia?

I've noticed that people who take longer than 1 word names (Rebbecca Black, Captain Teemo, etc-etc.) die quicker than those with one word. However, if it is one word, if it isnt proper (names like catdog, derp, derek) as in Uncapitalized and/or random word will die.

Ever since I thought of this bias towards chosen names, Ive used "Name" , plain and simple, as my fake name and I have yet to die first night.

O__o?

Clawtrocity
April 29th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Naming yourself is part of the not dying in the beginning thing, but once you've played this game long enough you realize that the roles are random and the names are fun. You should only use the Graveyard and clues from Sheriff/Investigator to make descisions. If you put your trust in the wrong person then you will lose.

Gaara
April 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I think you misunderstood my point.

I mean, suppose you're Sk or a mafioso or something... and its Night 1.

How do you choose who to kill? as you browse through the list of names and colors, you see someone named YouCantKillMe, or something, in your opinion, provocative. so you kill him first. I was simply stating that, Is the first nights killings REALLY random? or am I alone in thinking that maybe choosing a less attention grabbing name just might save your life. Obviously, once the game has entered "late game", name preference wont matter and colors mean nothing, etc.. etc..

Clawtrocity
April 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM
That's what I'm saying. I choose my first target randomly.

If you think you are dying first night often then try Free day 1. People are allowed to talk for about a minute before doing into the first night. This can show who likes to talk and you can make a better decision than basing it off a name or color.

Searix
April 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I prioritize people with fancy avatars (scientist+) > weird names. People with fancy avatars obviously know how to play

Supersun
April 29th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Whoever chooses their name first. If you have no idea which roles people are just go by the next best thing, their level of competence.

Metnik
April 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM
How many others feel that the fake name created by players may have an impact on whether or not they die sooner? and that darker colored people are easier to believe to be Mafia?

I want to bring up the idea of bias on color.

I notice that darker names and weird off-colors near the bottom of the list (brown, black, light blue, dark green) tend not to be hit early on. The bright attention grabbing colors near the top tend to take the beating early in the game (Red, Teal, Yellow, Orange).

Clawtrocity
April 30th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I've said this a couple times, but Mafia's randomness is very similar to the randomness of Rock Paper Scissors. You may think someone always goes "Rock" (Top of list, bright colors, stupid names) so you go "Paper" (Bottom of list, Dark colors, smart names) and then they go Scissors" (you) and it fucks your whole plan up.

Metnik
April 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I know it's random. I'm saying it's a psychology thing to aim for the bright colors.

Zartaras
May 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM
If im in the Mafia or SK, Arsonist etc, i always go for the guys with the most points.
Example:

If u look into the Help Menu, u see:
XY (Blue) 130 points
XX (Red) 120 points
YX (Yellow) 110 points
etc
etc

Then u look at the current playerlist and u instantly know (even through their choosen names) who is red, blue and yellow cause the Colors are the same for ur choosen and Battle.net name and u can go for the "experienced" players.
Thats what i do and it is working pretty well.

Maybe the colors should be changed so u cant see their "real names" or just hide the complete Scoreboard in the Help Menu.

(Sry for my bad english if i made any mistakes :P)

Clawtrocity
May 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Except the names are randomized and using that method you mentioned doesn't even work. You're killing off the wrong people. Also, why would you base your decision on one of the better players to win if they aren't a threat to you? You'd kill an experienced player that got citizen over the loud mouth sheriff?

Hell you can even turn it around on these types of players if they aren't talking much or for whatever other reason.

The game shouldn't have anything to do with anything other than the information found out in the game. Role claims, investigations, and the role list should be the only thing you are worried about no matter what you are playing as.

Zartaras
May 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM
I was speaking about the first night.
If u can kill the most experienced player in the setup and maybe get a chance that hes some kind of important / dangerous person its the best choice in my opionion.
Especially because u dont get that many informations on the first 2 days im doing fine with that tactic.

Afumba
May 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Can only speak for EU server... but first night here... mostly peoples get killed due to their names.

Clawtrocity
May 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
That's what I'm saying though, you can't possibly know who the most experienced player is without cheating. The list of people in the help menu uses their original color they change before the game starts and you see the townspeople. You're just killing off random players.

And again, night 1 killings are like rock paper scissors unless you have free day 1 on where people can talk and you can get a feel of who's going to be the best choice to kill. Maybe choose a quiet person? Perhaps that guy that's talking just a bit too much...If players played the way you played and had a way to figure out who was who in game then I'd be dead every single game and I'd never win. That doesn't happen at all and I win a bunch of games because of the way I play. I don't need to kill the most experienced players because I know that with sound logic you can convince anyone to vote/kill one way or another.

Fro
May 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
When I play doctor, it's usually pretty obvious who to protect. There's always a Justin Bieber, or a Rebbecca Black, or someone named God, so it isn't that hard. Good serial killers/mafia are going to choose a completely random person every time. But still, I think that people decide who they are going to kill more off of how they act during the day, who they vote for, roles, ext.

Color I choose first: Black.
Name: Usually two part name.

Snowyowl
May 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
I was speaking about the first night.
If u can kill the most experienced player in the setup and maybe get a chance that hes some kind of important / dangerous person its the best choice in my opionion.
Especially because u dont get that many informations on the first 2 days im doing fine with that tactic.

The colors attached to the toplist in Help are not corresponding to the colors belonging to the players in the list where you choose your target. I guess that's what Clawtrocity was saying.
So yes, you are killing off the wrong persons than you first intended.

Kurasawa
May 3rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
As a SK / gf, I usually target sophisticated names, i.e. Sherlock Holmes, if they stand out. On the other hand, if most people have reasonably intelligent names (i.e. no 2girl1cup) then I choose the retarded names (i.e. 2girl1cup) mostly because I don't want to listen to that person speak for the rest of the game.

Insofar as choosing names: I never choose my name first. And if people don't seem to be choosing names, I usually also let the game auto-pick for me. Auto-picks very rarely get taken out first night. On the down side, however, auto picks also have less influence in discussion because the name usually isn't as memorable. Which can actually be a positive, but I prefer to be proactive in the games, either engaging in deception or uncovering it, so about 75% of the time I just use Kurasawa.

After first night though, I stop making random decisions.

Supersun
May 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Oh gosh, I can't believe I didn't catch this sooner, but there's a very easy way to check whoever has the most points and it's nothing DR can stop without hiding how many points a player has

Metnik
May 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Oh gosh, I can't believe I didn't catch this sooner, but there's a very easy way to check whoever has the most points and it's nothing DR can stop without hiding how many points a player has

Names in the "HELP" section are different colors than your color in game.

Dark.Revenant
May 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM
He's referring to something else entirely. I know what he's talking about.

Fulla
May 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
To the original thread I do agree.

I find picking simple small names that don't stand out the best way to avoid first night kills.
Generally thou there will always be one idiot who names himself "Justin Bieber" or "Osama Bin Laden", which gets them targeted. (Note worthy if you're ever the Doctor on who to heal).

As for the rest of the game, I find not Voting in lynches and remaining silent last 20 seconds or so, makes you more 'unnoticeable' and fade into the shadows. So less of a target for killers. They'll want to get rid of the people with lots of say quickly.

Supersun
May 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
He's referring to something else entirely. I know what he's talking about.

It sucks because I'm pretty sure you can't do anything about that either unless you hid the points or we all went by aliases and we couldn't see the connection between our names and aliases.

Stupid Battlenet.

Deolrin
May 5th, 2011, 04:13 AM
You guys are talking about the 'waiting for players' screen, aren't you?

vileguy
May 5th, 2011, 04:22 AM
The waiting for players chat is so stupid, it's by far the worst thing Blizz put in SC2. It interrupts your normal chat, automatically accepts the text from keys you press, always sends to all players, uses bnet id instead of player name, is small and doesn't penalize spam, etc. It shouldn't even exist; just let people use the normal chat during lag... stupid Blizzard.

Echo
May 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
In my experience, the safest names are the following three types:

The name of something that's hard not to like: ie. The Dude (Big Lebowski), earthwormjim, etc.

An inatimate object, lower case: paper, phone, lamp, etc.

Or (my favourite) something associated with weakness: fail, bigfail, lame, unwise, etc. That way, when they are scanning to click a button on who to kill, in my mind, they are subconsiously thinking "if I click this button next to "fail", I will fail..

Just my experiences.

Deolrin
May 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
they are subconsiously thinking "if I click this button next to "fail", I will fail..

o________O

o____________________________________O

dude wat.

Echo
May 5th, 2011, 11:30 AM
It's a psychological thing...

ShadowsEdge
May 6th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Actually, I find that proper 2 words names help me to survive much longer (Non-discreet names that is). I once took the name of 'James Stream' (sheriff). My words seemed to have a greater impact/influence on everyone else too, since we pretty much wrapped up the mafia in that game, their deception being overruled by mine.

Colours, I didn't really notice lol. I use a random number generator when deciding on the first night as sk/arson

Kurasawa
May 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have to disagree with the lower case names of inanimate objects. I sometimes use "stairwell" but I've had to stop since every single time I use it, I get hit on the first night. Mafia, citizen, neutral, doesn't matter. I get hit. Though I think that's because "stairwell" is just kind of creepy...

As I was going up the stair I met a man who wasn't there...

anemoneya
May 6th, 2011, 05:48 PM
choosing name with suffix like Dr (ie: Dr. Loike) is good way to get killed day 1.
also choosing sports team name is good way to get killed by fans of rival team (Manchester Utd getting killed by chelsea fan SK)

Faceless
May 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I was in a game with a guy named "Sony CEO". He just talked about how he was sorry that he would have to delay the restoration of PSN for another three weeks all game. He was murdered by two people as soon as they got the chance.

Other than that, the only glaring thing I notice is that if you name yourself after any infamous pop-star, you're just asking to be murdered. Especially if you're red.

Membrax
May 9th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I was in a game with a guy named "Sony CEO". He just talked about how he was sorry that he would have to delay the restoration of PSN for another three weeks all game. He was murdered by two people as soon as they got the chance.

that one is hilarious xD