PDA

View Full Version : Problem with "cheaters"

Morgil
April 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hello dear Mafiacreaters and -players,

I got a problem with what I would call somehow cheating.
For isntance people using skype. They are able to discuss whom to kill or give each other tipps on who is mafia and who not - without being seen.
Now there is the possibility of PMs, but as it is turned off most of the time, I think people just don't want people talking with no chance of seeing this.
For example: 2 guys get to play the mafia. Instead of talking in the chat, letting the spy hear them, they talk on skype, disabling the whole spy mechanics.
OR one is mafia and died, the other one is vigilante. 3 people are alive: one mafia, one vigilante and hm a citizen or something random... now if the dead mafia guy just tells his friend in skype who the last mafia guy is - town wins.

2nd "cheating": I just got out of a game where i was the mafia. It was a nice game, I hit the Sheriff, then someone starts lagging. As it turned out, the sheriff was investigating me, saw I'm mafia but wasn't able to write his last will due to his death the same night. So what did he do? He just wrot in the Lagger-Chat, that he knows I'm the mafia, which got me killed. I'd say dead guys don't talk...

What do you think, is this kind of cheating or not? And are there possibilities to prevent such things or to prevent those people from joining your game, when you are the host? Like a banlist or something?

See you soon,
Morgil

McJesus
April 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Both of those are things that can't be changed at all. First one isn't cheating I use skype all the time with my rl friend when we are playing 2vai (he is a noob and can't 2v2 with him yet) and custom games like mafia. It really doesn't give me much of an advantage but that's probably just because we are ultra competitive and don't trust each other (lolz).

Second one is just being a douche. Witch is stupid though because I really don't think people get that the witch wins with the mafia. If a guy altf4'ed so sheriff could talk I would say that's cheating but otherwise sheriff is just an ass.

Morgil
April 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Both of those are things that can't be changed at all. First one isn't cheating I use skype all the time with my rl friend when we are playing 2vai (he is a noob and can't 2v2 with him yet) and custom games like mafia. It really doesn't give me much of an advantage but that's probably just because we are ultra competitive and don't trust each other (lolz).

Well then you are somehow fair. I guess it could be fun, laughing about some situations during the game with a pal on skype. But I really don't think that most of the skype-users are just there to laugh, some would just do anything to win...

I know that DR can't just block skype or the lagger chat. There are things, that have nothing to do with the map. But still, is a banlist possible, if you know someone is doing bad bad things? ^^

Clawtrocity
April 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Sometimes after raids a lot of us log on and play some mafia games, but the entire time on vent we're lying to each other and deceiving one another. It sucks when players are just "I'm SK help me kill everyone" or even when players join by themselves and troll everyone.

That's the nature of any game you play though, I'm sure SotIS players have to deal with people spamming chat, being douchebags, and killing their own units/heros.

Deolrin
April 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I talk to my friend all the time when playing Mafia.
Basically we spend the whole time trying to move the mic away from the keyboard so the other person doesn't realize we're Mafia\Mason, or just try to kill eachother in general. If people actually use Skype specifically to cheat and get easy points, they seriously need to play something else, or stop playing games altogether, because it's simply not fun.

The second problem, well... They're assholes. That is all. Nothing to say about that.

Afumba
April 30th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Morgil... i encountered such things too...

1.writing in lagger chat
2.ppls exchanging infos son Skype/Ts
3.ppls chatting in SC2 chatrooms about running games

Nothing the game creator can do about... at least not in point 1+2. (dont know if u can block SC2 chatrooms in Fungames)
This is a manner thing... by people who dont understand the game... And obviously dont really want to play the game but just win no matter what.

What i do is block those ppls & also report them (even if it doesnt do anything^^)
As previous guy stated... they are assholes... nothing u can do more about it^^ maybe spread the word...but thats it

Metnik
April 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM
My suggesting for those on Skype (or sitting in the same room) is to change the Lobby Screen so each individual player is on their own "Team". An example of this is the Phantom games. With that set-up, people can't join the game as a party.

Sure, it doesn't make it impossible they won't come up in the same game, but it is a deterrent.