PDA

View Full Version : What books do you read, mafforum?

chocopaw
July 28th, 2011, 02:58 AM
There is a movies and there is a music thread, here is one for all the bookfags under the mafia players.
You can show us what you've read in the last couple of months, or what you read atm, or your all-time favorites, it's up to you. :)

I will concentrate on fiction. Who needs philosophy and sociology, aight?

The last book I finished was
http://v1.progblog.de/uploads/snowcrash.jpg
It falls under the Cyberpunk genre, which I absolutely love. But in some aspects it's very different from genre "classics" like Neuromancer. Especially it's beginning appears totally overdrawn, because it is about, well, a Mafia (!) Pizza deliverator with a frickin samurai sword. The first half of the book revolves around the post-national world ruled by corporations, which organize in franchises, and is pretty gripping. The second half evolves around the plot which features ancient mythology, linguistics and a nuke, which I could understand if it is not for everyone.

At the moment I'm reading Part I of the Kingskiller Chronicle
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1270352123l/186074.jpg
I read tons of fantasy when I was younger. Today, if I read fantasy, I'm pretty demanding. Rothfuss' debut novel was highly praised, even called "the best book of the last decade", so I tried it. And I have to say, I enjoy it, but not in the way I anticipated.
In the book Kvothe, who is a living legend (in hiding tho) in the world he lives in, tells the story of his life. And because he is a living legend, it is quite pleasant if you identify with him: He is the youngest student of the arcane university of all times, he is super talented in everything he does, and although he has to endure hard times, he always overcomes the obstacles. And in that way, "The Name of the Wind" is not mature fantasy. Now, when I write "mature" I don't mean sex and violence (which there is some in it). I mean mature in the way GRRMs Song of Ice and Fire is mature: in it's fantastic setting, it is realistic and believable, without practically allmighty characters that can not fall, and I miss that a bit. But as i wrote, I still enjoy the book. Maybe because of the good style of writing, maybe because of the "Hogwarts for adults"-setting most of the book revolves around, with cool characters (Master Elodin) and even it's own Snape. :D (You will recognize him when you meet him)

After that I plan on reading
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/THNVNCBLCN1973.jpg/200px-THNVNCBLCN1973.jpg
(not this version)
Some classic piece of sci-fi. I really liked "Solaris" (don't watch the movie, it's crap) and now had this one recommended to me. :) I'll update you about if I like it.

Also, maybe later I'm in the mood for more books, then non-fantasy/sci-fi.
In the meanwhile, go ahead and post. :)

philie
July 28th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Ill post about some of the books i read This last month

Lately, inspired by Tv series, i started reading Song of Wind and Fire series, which is what Game of Thrones is based on. Those books are pretty long and detailed, somewhat dragged-out but in a good way. Reminds of Tolkien but darker, more realistic, less heroic.

The last book i actualy read was Traitor Spy trilogy's 2nd book, called The Rogue. This one is very light, very short, and not so well written, in addition to probably being unreadable by any other but females. Those books criticize feministic societies where women are put in more charge than they can handle, yet possibly because of weakish imagination of the author, both female and male characters act like women, which i can handle, but i guess not many others.

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
July 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I am poor and as so, I do exactly read or buy books much, nor do I visit the library. But everything from Glen Cook I absolutely love, 'cept maybe the Garret PI series, since it's kind of MAGICAL DETECIVES~. Regardless I've read Instrumentalities of the Night and The Black Company series, as I have a massive hard-on for realistic-fiction of any kind, I had no choice but to love them.

The Black Company deals with a mercenary band/group, it isn't so much as good vs evil but lesser evil versus a bigger evil, where no-one is truly the 'good guy.' Magic in The Black Company, as it is a fiction book, is low fantasy meaning magic is rare but powerful.

As for The Intrumentalities of the Night, it's about more-or-less around A.D. 1500. It follows the story of Else Tage a Sha-lug captain (need check) and his story while being sent into a suicide mission because his superiors are afraid of his tactical and charismatic might that they themselves do not have. Again, low fiction.
Oh and something I pulled from Amazon since I see it as somewhat relevant.

Some of the places appear to be:
Brothe = Rome
Andoray = Norway
Connec = Langeudoc (Southern France)
Friesland = Denmark
Arnhand = France
Calzir = Moorish North Africa
Holy Lands = Holy Land
Dreangar = Ottoman Turks (was thinking more Egypt)
Antieux or Khaurene = Toulouse
Firaldia = Italy
Santerin = England
Sonsa = Venice
Plemenza = probably Florence or Milan (gonna go with Milan)
Vieran Sea = Adriatic
Creveldia = Greece
Eastern Empire = Byzantine Empire
Mother Sea = Mediterranean
Navaya = Spain or one of the pre-unification Spanish Kingdoms

People and Organizations
Sha-lug = Janissaries (Sha-lug are Dreanger soldiers, but Janissaries and Ottoman Turks do fit more appropiately.)
Grail Emperor = Holy Roman Emperor
Patriarch of Brothe = Pope of Rome
Principates of the Collegium = Papal Legates
Chaldarean = Christians
Brothen Patriarchy = Roman Catholic Church
Deves = Jews (I'd prefer to call them dwarves as they seem to have the ingenuity of them)
Pramans = Muslims
Maysalean Heresy = Albigensian Heresy = Cathars
Duke Tormond = Raymond VI of Toulouse
Braunsknechts = Landsknechts
Brotherhood of War = Knights Templars and/or Hospitallers
Johannes Blackboots = Frederick Barbarossa (Redbeard) with some changes
Patriarch Sublime = mix of a couple Popes (again, going to have to disagree, I'd prefer to say Caligula)

Oh yeah I read a couple omnibuses/WH40k books, pretty cool if you're into that kind of brutal thing.

Spy
July 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I have a goodreads account.