PDA

View Full Version : {Implemented} Jailor Notification

EagleMan
August 31st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Sometimes people forget to jail as Jailor, which essentially makes them useless for a night. Sometimes you get caught up in something, or you're not paying attention, or whatever. I think it might help out a lot of people if maybe 15-20s (whatever) before the day ends, a message would pop up to remind them if they want to jail someone if they haven't already selected someone.

You basically have to do your night action in advance which understandably people may forget from time to time, especially because with all the other roles you're used to taking action at night, not during the day. Just a simple change that I think would help people out a lot.

Damus_Graves
August 31st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Would this notification be privately displayed? And would it also be kept hidden when someone gets put on trial and lynched?

SickBoy is IntE
August 31st, 2012, 02:17 PM
Maybe start the day already in the -jail mode? Or have a second menu come up?

Of course there would be an option for "do not jail"...

creedkingsx
August 31st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Presumably it'd be a colored message in the day chat. Just say it to everyone, doesn't matter if everyone sees it. If there is a trial then it doesn't matter, can't jail anyway.
I am okay with this. +1

SickBoy is IntE
August 31st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Presumably it'd be a colored message in the day chat. Just say it to everyone, doesn't matter if everyone sees it. If there is a trial then it doesn't matter, can't jail anyway.
I am okay with this. +1

What if jailor is a non-confirmed role? I'm all for reminding the jailor to jail, but not if the message goes to everyone. I think that message, never mind the fact that it would spoil a jailor (or if no message came up it would confirm there is no jailor), that it might just be straight up annoying to see every single day of every single game.

creedkingsx
August 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM
It's on message that pops up for a second. :smile:
After 1 game, you will just ignore it, especially if it is just one line of text.
But it doesn't really matter, I just like the idea.

SickBoy is IntE
August 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Alright, but still not for that idea. Either make some sort of prompt that only the jailor sees, or just pay more attention failors.

Sometimes you miss a day, but if you're forgetting to jail 2 or more times a game then the best fix would be to go see your doctor and get diagnosed for ADD. :)

EagleMan
August 31st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Nah, just display it to the Jailor if he hasn't selected someone to jail yet shortly before the day ends. And Damus, there's no way the system can know in advance if someone will be lynched or not.

Damus_Graves
August 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM
Nah, just display it to the Jailor if he hasn't selected someone to jail yet shortly before the day ends. And Damus, there's no way the system can know in advance if someone will be lynched or not.

Alright well i like the idea then, non to often i forget to choose to jail someone before day ends as it is.

EagleMan
August 31st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah it's pretty much it, just a reminder to make sure you do it if you want to, so you don't get mad you accidentally wasted a night. It happens regularly enough for jailors.

Nick
September 1st, 2012, 01:26 AM
Can we consider this as skill in playing jailor? Must not forget -jail.

Distracting the jailor by causing confusion during the day until the jailor forgets to jail or change jail target is legitimate strategy.

Slaol
September 1st, 2012, 10:39 AM

Distracting the jailor by causing confusion during the day until the jailor forgets to jail or change jail target is legitimate strategy.

Agreed. Just remember to do it. I talk a little bit less as Jailor. Not always a good thing, but I focus and read the text and update my '-Jail #' every time I think I get a better target. There is no need for an update if you play the game like you should.
I also regularly don't take names or character bodies. When I get Jailor I play AFK a lot. Mafia leaves me alone, Detectives see me not targeting so they don't think I am evil, and everyone gets a good ol' town win. Often I want to say 'Hey guys, Jailor could use your NOT lynching this mofo.' but that is an apparent Jailor more often than not.

Cryptonic
September 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Yea, instead of doing this for jailor, just do it:
During the day - Day will end in 10 seconds.
During the night - Night will end in 10 seconds.

People forget to use night actions too, so if we're planning on implementing this, then everyone should get the reminders.

EagleMan
September 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM

It's not really a skill. Please tell me where you have purposefully enacted this strategy before and have had continual concrete success. It's so arbitrary.

Keep in mind that this is an improvement for the average player. Obviously many of us here aren't going to have a problem. A lot of regular players do forget to jail from time to time, and it's just something to improve the game experience for them and make them more satisfied.

Auckmid
September 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM
While I always find it a good practice as jailor to ALWAYS pick a jail target at the start of a day just in case you forget later on, I see no harm in adding this. Cryptonics proposal seems like the simplist solution reminding everyone that the day/night is almost over.

Blazer
September 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
To be honest I feel all of these notifications are unnecessary. If someone forgets, it just adds to the game. An unexpected variable that can throw a twist. Also, I don't see the need for the popups to flash to players who are paying attention. If these are implemented I would recommend adding an option to "mute" them so I don't have to see them. We don't need to cater to players who are unskilled or easily distracted. Just my 2 cents.

EagleMan
September 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM
To be honest I feel all of these notifications are unnecessary. If someone forgets, it just adds to the game. An unexpected variable that can throw a twist. Also, I don't see the need for the popups to flash to players who are paying attention. If these are implemented I would recommend adding an option to "mute" them so I don't have to see them. We don't need to cater to players who are unskilled or easily distracted. Just my 2 cents.
...It wouldn't pop up if you already had someone to jail. This was already addressed. Few people intentionally choose to not jail anyone at all, so the net benefit is greater for everyone.

Mugy
September 2nd, 2012, 12:54 AM

I agree with this stance, to forget to use your ability is just you being bad. It's not the game's fault.

Blazer
September 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
...It wouldn't pop up if you already had someone to jail. This was already addressed. Few people intentionally choose to not jail anyone at all, so the net benefit is greater for everyone.

They also said they wanted "10 seconds til day ends/night ends notifications". Those would still be popping up.

Lysergic
September 2nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
I agree with this stance, to forget to use your ability is just you being bad. It's not the game's fault.

This.

Auckmid
September 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM

While Mafia is a game which is meant to appeal more to the veteran then to the newb, begginers should have sufficient help as well. New players are more likely to make these mistakes. The way I see it, newbs making mistakes due to the lack of a begginer friendly interface is something that should be alleviated, not something that should be treated as an "unexpected twist".

Blazer
September 2nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
While Mafia is a game which is meant to appeal more to the veteran then to the newb, begginers should have sufficient help as well. New players are more likely to make these mistakes. The way I see it, newbs making mistakes due to the lack of a begginer friendly interface is something that should be alleviated, not something that should be treated as an "unexpected twist".

Well it really isn't that hard to learn. Newbs will always make mistakes. I remember my first game lol.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the implementation of the reminders, I just want to be able to turn them off.
I just deem them as unnecessary. If the newb reads the role card, they will be able to see that they can jail someone, etc...as for day ending reminders, the players themselves shout out "OMG VOTE DAYS ENDING" all the time.

Again, not opposed to (since I don't have to do the work). I just don't want to see the newb alerts on my screen ^^

EagleMan
September 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
I didn't say it was the game's fault. Just something that would improve the average player's satisfaction with the game.

It's like complaining about the Structure Complete notification in melee. Sure, a pro doesn't need it, but it will improve the game experience of the average player and let the pro remember whenever he slips up and catch himself.

Dark.Revenant
September 2nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
Day ends in 10 seconds, night ends in 10 seconds notification is going in.

Auckmid
September 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Well it really isn't that hard to learn. Newbs will always make mistakes. I remember my first game lol.

Lol, now I'm thinking about how my first game went. I rolled Consort (which was actualy the town alligned role-blocker back then), and got very confused with the whole name system. There was one player called You, so being the derp I am, I thought that You was me. D1, You got put on trial, but again, I thought that I was You and I was getting put on trial. I then became very alarmed when I was unable to talk, yet You was speaking on trial and claimed Sheriff. By the questioning stage of the trial, I was panicking and started saying how my role was actualy Consort and I had no idea what had happend on trial. I then voted innocent, still not clueing into the fact that I wasn't the person on trial. You was then lynched, and it wasn't until You was dead and the game said that his role was Sheriff did I finaly figure out that I wasn't You. However, town wasn't pleased with my antics, so I got put on trial for real and lynched the very next day.

Anyways, not meaning to be sidetracked. While it isn't anything too major, glad this got implemented.

Mugy
September 3rd, 2012, 02:15 AM
Day ends in 10 seconds, night ends in 10 seconds notification is going in.

Reasonable compromise I guess.

Blazer
September 3rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
Lol, now I'm thinking about how my first game went. I rolled Consort (which was actualy the town alligned role-blocker back then), and got very confused with the whole name system. There was one player called You, so being the derp I am, I thought that You was me. D1, You got put on trial, but again, I thought that I was You and I was getting put on trial. I then became very alarmed when I was unable to talk, yet You was speaking on trial and claimed Sheriff. By the questioning stage of the trial, I was panicking and started saying how my role was actualy Consort and I had no idea what had happend on trial. I then voted innocent, still not clueing into the fact that I wasn't the person on trial. You was then lynched, and it wasn't until You was dead and the game said that his role was Sheriff did I finaly figure out that I wasn't You. However, town wasn't pleased with my antics, so I got put on trial for real and lynched the very next day.

Anyways, not meaning to be sidetracked. While it isn't anything too major, glad this got implemented.

lmfao. That's an interesting first game xD
(I had jester my first game, and yeah I was trying to figure out how to talk the whole game--i would always type when it said to be quiet or someone else was on trial. I noticed that every time someone claimed cit, they got lynched. So I got put on trial with me and 2 others left, claimed cit. Maf killed town, maf suicided, i sh*t myself--If only I knew how rare that was at the time >.>)

This implementation seems fair enough I guess. As long as it's not obnoxious *looks at DR*.