PDA

View Full Version : Add some more end game conditions please

Searix
April 27th, 2011, 06:04 PM
One of the biggest things that need changing is adding an end game condition. 2 mafia vs. 1 town during night is a guaranteed mafia win. This is even assuming none of the mafia can kill (because 1 mafia vs. 1 town is a win for mafia).

Only X factor is arsonist. But if 1 mafia vs. 1 arsonist is a mafia win, then why in the world isn't 2+ mafia vs. 1 arsonist a win.

The reason i'm pushing so hard for this change is that it's aggravatingly... frustratingly... long... when mafia outnumbers town for example 3v2 and you have to wait 30 seconds for discussion, 10 seconds of trial, 45 seconds of defense, 30 seconds killing the person, then 50 seconds waiting for the last non mafia to die.

That's 2:45 seconds waiting for an obviously over game to conclude when good end conditions would reduce that by at least 50 seconds. Or the full 2:45 if you script an exception for Arsonist.

Just something i'd love love to get implemented. Good job on the game btw

Procyon
April 27th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Arsonist currently wins ties with the Mafia. I don't think that the current waiting period for the Mafia to win is too long, and there are probably more important things to do first, however, if no town roles will be added that can kill more than one of the Mafia at once, I feel that it would be fine adding. Revenant might have some other reason for not implementing this though, such as when he stated his reasoning for not determining all stalemate conditions.

Searix
April 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I understand, but a VAST majority of games come down to obvious gg, but it takes 3-5+ minutes to end the game.

In fact i made this post and reply while waiting for the game to end :)

Dark.Revenant
April 27th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Let's make the algorithm right now.

Loop through every person in the game, count up their alignments.
~100 lines of code to decide absolute wins and ties, including stalemates.
Next, for the implicit wins:
Count up amounts for every role in the game.
Go through an ENORMOUS dynamic lookup table, loop through several hundred win conditions that I have to make and test manually, and award wins accordingly if there is a match.

It's that last part that's killer. Making "obvious" wins like 4 mafia vs 2 townies is extremely difficult. Sure, I could program in a special case where if there is 4 mafia and 2 townies, the game ends. But what about 3 mafia and 2 townies? Currently that will end up in a mafia win if the mafia have a killing role or if the town does not have a killing role. What about 3 mafia and 1 town, 5 mafia and 3 town, 4 mafia 2 vigilantes and 1 sk, 3 mafia 2 town 1 witch 1 sk, etc etc etc?

It's an ENORMOUS undertaking that will just get harder and harder and eventually flat-out IMPOSSIBLE as time goes on. If any one of those conditions is wrong, by the way, then someone's going to be pissed regardless of my work.

Elixir
April 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Seems like way too much time investment for something that will only take another 5 mins game time anyway. Besides, sometimes as Mafia you like to go into chat and flaunt your success a little bit...

Well I do anyhow.

Omgproberush
April 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM
People need to get this isn't supposed to be a game that lasts 5 minutes. It's already pretty damn fast. Yeah, there's times where it's obviously over and you have to kill a person or two to offically win, but that's what, another few minutes?

Zack
April 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Yep, no need for this feature. Its really not that much more time, and its actually funny to give the ghosts of the town an illusion of hope that they might still win when i'm mafia ;)