PDA

View Full Version : Make R&D not count for post count

Bruno
August 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Sick as shit of seeing people go "+1" to a thread to boost post count. Same goes for Mafia Discussion.

Shit son, Gen Disc is not only moderated heavier than R&D, but it doesn't count towards post count.

At least in Gen Disc you can't reasonably reply to a thread and go +1 to farm post. You have to actually say shit.

Damus_Graves
August 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I agree with this for a couple of reasons.

People(including me) dont state their likes and dislikes about the topic as well as they should.

It is a suggestion subforum which effects the game. If we, as a community, are really interested in it then we shouldnt be given the tiny 'reward' of having it count for post count.

However i don't this would be implemented for one reason.

It's a little like Mafia discussion suggestions. Whenever a non-VIP and Donater posts something their they are expecting a reasonable, and experienced well-thought out reasonable response as to why someone likes/dislikes their idea. By the same format Mafia discussion shouldn't count for post count either.

creedkingsx
August 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Just make it so posts with less then 5-10 letters don't count. I think someone said there was a program that would go with the software for these threads that could do that. I think it was Cryptonic.

Bruno
August 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Just make it so posts with less then 5-10 letters don't count. I think someone said there was a program that would go with the software for these threads that could do that. I think it was Cryptonic.

It's meant for an older version of pbp

Damus_Graves
August 30th, 2012, 08:30 PM
It's meant for an older version of pbp

Can you explain what you mean by this post?
I am assuming that your post is in accordance with the OP. And to continue discussing pro's and con's i need to know.

Bruno
August 30th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I am assuming that your post is in accordance with the OP. And to continue discussing pro's and con's i need to know.

You can't use that plugin. It's meant for version 2.x.x of PBP, this board runs 4.x.x.

Nick
August 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM

Add in Site Discussion and News.

I'm more concerned with post content than post length. I don't mind the occasional +1 posts but multiple "support and nothing but support" posts from the same user is irritating. Or nonsense/irrelevant posts.

Post deduction (100-200), revoke privileges or post lock (1 month) will be better.

Damus_Graves
August 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM
So what are you thoughts on my reasoning on why this wont be implemented?

creedkingsx
August 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM

pbp is the software for the forums. The program that Cryptonic was talking about, that I mentioned, and according to Bruno; is meant for an older version of the software for the forums.

I don't understand how because our software is up to date, useful shit doesn't update itself. D: the people who made the useful shit that is.

Cryptonic
August 31st, 2012, 05:57 AM
Oops says this board is 4.x.x and anything earlier than that is incompatible. However, I'm pretty sure it was for 4.x.x but don't remember. It was another thing that was for 3.x.x

Chane
August 31st, 2012, 06:07 AM
I can't say much about R&D for obvious reasons but I do agree with gen.disc (and serious discussion) contributing to postcount.

both of these forums are heavily moderated and as such should contribute to post count. MD being the only major source of postcount means all postfarming concentrates there for non-vip/donors and makes it kind of a spamfest at times.

Nick
August 31st, 2012, 06:34 AM
all postfarming concentrates there for non-vip/donors and makes it kind of a spamfest at times.

The childish spamfest is by individuals who already have access to R&D. Furthermore, moderators seemed to prefer closing legitimate threads than deleting spam/infracting spammers.

Chane
August 31st, 2012, 06:46 AM
The childish spamfest is by individuals who already have access to R&D. Furthermore, moderators seemed to prefer closing legitimate threads than deleting spam/infracting spammers.

that is quite the problem indeed... if it is really this bad R&D needs stricter rules maybe?

LeaD
August 31st, 2012, 06:49 AM
+1

Damus_Graves
August 31st, 2012, 10:57 AM

Recently this has been proven untrue. I have been infracted two-three times for what you have stated a disdain for.

However this does not contribute to a solution for the OP's problem.

LeaD
August 31st, 2012, 11:02 AM
funfact: i get -repped for every sarcastic remark i make
Yet people win talent contests with the theme "Our controversial world" by going onstage, eat a bigmac then leave.

LeaD
August 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM
Come on sons, why would post count even matter, just reduce everybody's to 0

Damus_Graves
August 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM
The reason people (including me) have fussed over it is rep power. It contributes towards it.

I think this thread is properly dead. /thread?

Guardian
August 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
The reason people (including me) have fussed over it is rep power. It contributes towards it.

I think this thread is properly dead. /thread?

Yes, /thread it before the farming begins.
I think the problem may have something to do with moderation (I was -repped before for serious post farming before..but i don't think this happens now)

Lazers
August 31st, 2012, 07:47 PM
Nah, just be harsher on pointless posts in R&D. It's supposed to be srs bsns

If you're going to just say "+1", then shut up and just rate the thread 5/5 or something, or at least provide an explanation as to WHY you like the role

pebrock
August 31st, 2012, 07:49 PM
I'll be fine with that if they made general give post count.

Lysergic
August 31st, 2012, 09:27 PM
This "+1 spam" epidemic to which you refer doesn't seem to actually exist. If you find a post spammy, report it and it will be handled. However, I just went through all the currently active threads and failed to find any spam that hadn't already been dealt with.

Damus_Graves
August 31st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Can we close this thread then Lysergic

Edit: Can a mod close this thread please. The issue as been addressed

Lysergic
August 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM
I can't, no. Ask an Smod.

Bruno
August 31st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Can we close this thread then Lysergic

Edit: Can a mod close this thread please. The issue as been addressed

Why would you ask? I'm the OP.

Just like I said, posting where you don't need to, saying shit that doesn't need said = Post farming.

Shit son, get your head in the game.

oops_ur_dead
September 1st, 2012, 07:05 AM
Posts less than 5 chars will no longer add to post count.

Nick
September 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM
Posts less than 5 chars will no longer add to post count.

plus one

Glip
September 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
plus one

And they could start throwing out infractions for blatant post farming, such as that would be.

We just needed to encourage people to state their reasons for agreeing/disagreeing with something, thus contributing to discussion, rather than just a simple "+1" or "-1".

Lysergic
September 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
I have yet to see anyone point out posts that consist SOLELY of +1 to me. Report them and they will be deleted (and infractions will be given out). However, I'm still failing to see the source of this +1 epidemic. And now that posts less than 5 characters don't add to post count, it should be even less of an issue.

Auckmid
September 1st, 2012, 11:38 AM
Other then spamming to become VIP, why does post count even matter that much?

Chane
September 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM

not much really. but it will be spammy and farmy because its the only way to become VIP now.

Cryptonic
September 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM

Humans are programmed to compare themselves to other humans. Rep, rep power, an posts are just another status symbol.

Chane
September 1st, 2012, 11:47 AM
Humans are programmed to compare themselves to other humans. Rep, rep power, an posts are just another status symbol.

don't forget Join date, number and sort of badges, name colors and Dicksize

MoDTassadar
September 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM
I only do +1's because I want to show support to the idea without having to explain why I like it, etc...

I mean, it would make sense if you want me to explain why I don't like something, but if I +1, then I'm just saying I like it as it is...