PDA

View Full Version : So many drops...

Auckmid
July 25th, 2011, 07:57 PM
My computer sucks. I hate it. But if there is one thing I like about my computer is that it almost never drops me. I have never once been dropped on a Mafia game. Until today, where I got dropped. Twice. In a row.

I'm not sure if ur aware of the issue, but there has been a huge increase in drop rate.

Crimson
July 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
It's not just mafia, It's a lot of other games.

My theory on why it's happening is because of the most recent update for SC.

Crimson
July 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
It's probably the fact that Blizzard merged NA and SA servers together.

Oh shit, I just pulled a Plato and double posted.

styx0202
July 25th, 2011, 08:50 PM
today when i decided to edit my setup in a privately hosted game where im alone http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/yunoletmesetupbliz.jpg/
fascinating shit i dare say.

Zack
July 26th, 2011, 02:02 AM
LOL

Blizzard went overzealous on their new anti-hack patch. Lets drop everyone all the time, no game = no hacks.

philie
July 26th, 2011, 02:26 AM
i dont remember dropping from any other custom maps but mafia after the patch
also, i feel like it depends on different hosts. For instance, when Chainer hosts, nobody drops, while QQ and choco drop a lot themselves+take about half the people with them, and me, never EVER being able to join as host because i drop, EVERY single time, i tried over 10 times in one day.
That is definitely a bigger problem for mafia map than any other.

Dark.Revenant
July 26th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Mafia also has over twice as many players as most maps.

philie
July 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM
squadron TD and income wars are more popular, and still never drop me
Maybe mafia allows for customization of the map more than other games do? But then its weird why it drops people so selectively and only every other time

Dark.Revenant
July 26th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Squad TD is 8 people. Mafia is 15 people.

philie
July 26th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Do you mean that drops depend on the amount of people playing the map? That after some amount of people it drops more easily? Ive been to games where so many dropped after loadscreen (8+) that an error message came up, saying that the game has less than 7 players in.
And why does it depend on hosts so much?

you need to develop an 'immune to drops' donor option XD if you find out what it depends on ofc

Zack
July 26th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I played I think 3 pub games yesterday, all full 15 players with 0 drops... Strange or not?

styx0202
July 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Its probably fault of the server to which it connets all players to, after countdown finished in the lobby

what i dont get, is what they couldnt use the reconnect feature of Heroes of Newerth....
it would have worked great with the 60s drop timer

NorthStar
July 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
The SA server is full of laggy Mexicans, my free league wins against them come from them spamming Spanish in caps and lagging out right after, thus giving me a win. Maybe Mafia's awesomeness surpasses what Starcraft 2 can handle? =)

Procyon
July 30th, 2011, 09:21 AM
From what I've seen, the "Dropped" message is only given if you don't finish loading within a certain threshold set by the game (probably when a percentage of others have reported loading as complete). The "Desync" message is given if you've legitimately desynchronized, or, while in the game lobby, you notice there's a slot that's not empty but does not have a player's name and icon in it. The only solution to prevent a desynchronization with the last case is to rejoin the lobby.

Dark.Revenant
July 30th, 2011, 01:31 PM
No, that's incorrect.

"Dropped" is basically decided in the first couple seconds of loading. I should load extremely quickly because I have a 4.5GHz Core i5 2500K and I'm running SC2 on a SSD that gets 420MB/s sequential read. In other words, it's lightning fast and I load any map faster than 99% of players, yet I still drop nearly 100% of the time that I host Mafia. It's not my internet either because my upload is 4mbps and download is about 30-50mbps, with a grade A line according to pingtest.net.

styx0202
July 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM
If you join a lobby and see a slot with no name but with color/race seletected, then you will desync (not dropped) if the game starts, only way to fix is to rejoin the lobby

and drop does happens if you load to quick, noticed this half a year ago

No exit
July 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM
For me desyncs happen when I alt tab during the loading. It is not the only cause of desyncs for me though as it also happens on other random occasions.

Procyon
July 30th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I've noticed that the loading bar doesn't move past about 30% until a certain condition is met (probably all others reaching that percentage).

Lysergic
July 30th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I played an in-house game yesterday where literally 9 people dropped. It was full when we started, and as soon as the map loaded, we got a warning that fewer than 7 people were in the game.

Auckmid
August 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
I played a game yesterday where 11 people were dropped!

EagleMan
August 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Drops have been happening but I got dropped like 2 minutes into a game yesterday which was annoying, especially since I was Mafia.

Dark.Revenant
August 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Look and listen: there is nothing I can do about the drops. Especially the beginning-of-the-game ones. Tons of custom maps are getting these problems, generally the ones with 10 or more players to the game but not always.

There is NO net code for me to optimize, fix, or diagnose. No particularly expensive triggers are being run at the start. Hell, I even shortened the load screen by splitting up the starting code executions a bit and optimizing the code through Procyon's tool to less than half its original size. It's as optimized as possible, meaning it's Blizzard's fault.

Zack
August 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM
We know its Blizzard's fault. People just love complaining ;)

Tipzntrix
August 4th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I don't seem to get many (if any) drops anymore, so it seems your optimizations are working :)

Nick
August 4th, 2011, 08:27 PM
This topic shouldn't be in Bug Reports. Move it to Complaints instead. Else it'll freak out DR. Haha.

Dark.Revenant
August 4th, 2011, 08:59 PM
OH MY GOD DROPS Aogoe7gtwh302o8ht2390thth9o ? /g/'/'/'/'// [b][u]sg)H#hs98dfhhdfhd[s]rehehrherherh

[pre]jllhjl

khkgh

Auckmid
August 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
OH MY GOD DROPS Aogoe7gtwh302o8ht2390thth9o ? /g/'/'/'/'// [b][u]sg)H#hs98dfhhdfhd[s]rehehrherherh

[pre]jllhjl

khkgh

Well... Looks like Rev finally lost it

SilentShadow
August 4th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I've noticed that the loading bar doesn't move past about 30% until a certain condition is met (probably all others reaching that percentage).

I find that in all my games. The first time I play a certain map I load instantly to about 75% and then my computer lags a ton and takes like 30 seconds to load the last bit. Then if I play the same map after playing it I laod to 30% and wait there. Sometimes I wait like 2 minutes before it moves again. Once it does move I instantly load the rest. I blame my shitty computer. I have 1.5 gbs of ram. Shitbox processor. An HD 4350 512 mb ATI Radeon Graphics Card (custom purcahsed... The only GOOD thing in my computer) and probably a shitty video/sound card. Thank god I'm probably getting a new computer soon.... Thank god.....

pants
August 16th, 2011, 04:42 PM

I find that in all my games. The first time I play a certain map I load instantly to about 75% and then my computer lags a ton and takes like 30 seconds to load the last bit. Then if I play the same map after playing it I laod to 30% and wait there. Sometimes I wait like 2 minutes before it moves again. Once it does move I instantly load the rest. I blame my shitty computer. I have 1.5 gbs of ram. Shitbox processor. An HD 4350 512 mb ATI Radeon Graphics Card (custom purcahsed... The only GOOD thing in my computer) and probably a shitty video/sound card. Thank god I'm probably getting a new computer soon.... Thank god.....

yeah i have the same problem with the loading bar in 95% custom games. (coop/single/ranked.. like 5%). loading get stops and computer idles for anywhere 30sec-4minutes before it finishes loading. my computer is a mutt i custom built.. only a year old, but still a beast. i can also tell when this happens to other people; ill be 100% full loading, waiting for the same amount of time 30s-4minutes before loading screen passes.

also, the patch that introduced the cultist role (2 days ago), ive noticed a HIGH increase in player drops.. including myself. i gett he surrender window ALMOST EVERY GAME. but, i believe this is to do with blizzards fault and playing with their laggy mexicans. because, whenever i do get the surrender window, i always see 1-2 more people lagging with me in the drop window. once they leave, i dont lag anymore.

also, a minority issue for windows xp users.. svchost process acts as a minifirewall(best description) for some applications/progs. this might be prohibiting bandwidth in the means of lagspikes every 20-40seconds. happens to me every now and then. and this is 100% true because the darkfall-online mmorpg game has an issue with the login-lobby not connecting to the server because of the svchost. (disable svchost, windows wants to force reboot... BUT u can then connect.) apparently, theres a way to go into windows and changes the policies that svchost process uses, but because i installed windows xp and purposely didnt install some components.. and tweaked the startup/bios... im unable to edit these policies because taht part of windows wasnt "installed" so to speak.

these are just my 2cents, and thoughts upon the recent drops within mafia and my experiences of online gaming.

pants
August 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
actually, since i cant edit my post above. i drop out of every mafia game, with or without another lagger, ever since the cultist patch 1 and 1/2 days ago.

whats the deal?

there appeared to be a ninja patch last night as well.. (after i had downloaded and hosted a few games). this is the patch thats been causing me to drop out 99% of the time. before this ninjapatch, the patch with the cultists was alright.. i didnt drop that much, but i never dropped out EVER before the cultist patch.

so, somethings up darkrevenant..... take out that anti-afk code or something you hiding from us...

Dark.Revenant
August 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM
What are your system specs and operating system? 32 or 64 bits? Also, what is your internet connection (speedtest.net)?

Mafia has a lot of players and a lot of code; the Cult update pushed it over the 2MB limit so I used Procyon's optimizer to squish it down to about 1MB. This is the only change I can think of.

Clawtrocity
August 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM
No, you're simply joining lobbies that have been open for too long before you start and half the lobby gets dropped. There is no anti-AFK tool he has that will affect you like this.

pants
August 16th, 2011, 09:23 PM
just got to play a few games without any lag from anybody. without lagging myself. strange. ive always had much better experience after midnight EST. so strange. regarding sitting in lobby for too long; this doesnt happen unless theres a pending invite out.. in which case, it never was an issue in the past for me. (dropping, that is. although, being the host of the lobby, and theres a pending user.... i usually drop after loading. only when hosting tho)

winxp32bit / and LOL this cant be right... http://www.speedtest.net/result/1436421238.png (http://www.speedtest.net) i stream netflix on ps3 at the same time as i download files with better speeds than these test results.

but hey, im gonna take a mafia break anyway. too many bad saveslots out there right now with too many cultists and imba role options. (aka lots of bad hosts)

dont know what else to say. goodluck, and sorry to take up some of your time DR. if it is winxp related.. ill find out soon cuz im gonna put win7 on here to bypass a problem i have with svchost in winxp for darkfallonline mmo.

Dark.Revenant
August 16th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Battle.net is very unpredictable. My Grade-A connection drops fairly often, too.

TheJackofSpades
August 16th, 2011, 10:27 PM
You guys are all stupid. Clearly it's your internet and you should fix your shit.

Oh wait.

J0hnnyB0y
August 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
No, that's incorrect.

"Dropped" is basically decided in the first couple seconds of loading. I should load extremely quickly because I have a 4.5GHz Core i5 2500K and I'm running SC2 on a SSD that gets 420MB/s sequential read. In other words, it's lightning fast and I load any map faster than 99% of players, yet I still drop nearly 100% of the time that I host Mafia. It's not my internet either because my upload is 4mbps and download is about 30-50mbps, with a grade A line according to pingtest.net.

So that's what you've been using the donor money on eh? ;)

Dark.Revenant
August 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Less than half of the donor money was used on replacing my old crap.