PDA

View Full Version : Test Theme

oops_ur_dead
August 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I made a new theme, called "Darkcore - Test", where I'll be trialling all my modifications to the forum theme before I add them to the mainstream theme. These include little fixes as well as larger modifications. I've decided to open the theme up to the public for suggestions and feedback. Note that there may be undiscovered bugs and incompatibilities in the test theme, part of why I decided to open it up to the public before adding the changes to the mainstream theme.

Here is a (mostly complete) list of modifications I've made in the test theme:

- shows rep amount in mouseover text
- rep power is in same format as the rest of postbit fields
- removed gap above navbar
- moved toplinks to navbar
- floating navbar
- removed register option for logged in users
- removed redundant "My Profile" link
- moved search to navbar
- made signature not flush with postbits, so posts are more compact
- added option to disable floating navbar

Mugy
August 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM
The Navbar looks all weird on my iPhone

Glip
August 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
There is now an awkward blank space above "SC2 Mafia" whenever I'm at the top of a page.

I'm personally not a big fan of the floating navbar, but that's just me. Once this is implemented, will there be an option to use the old theme?

Thank you for adding the actual rep number to the rep card mouseover text. Makes it much easier to track the ranges for all the rep titles, especially on the negrep end of the spectrum :D

Also, Mugy7's post looks rather strange with his signature being more than halfway up the length of his post, leaving a bunch of odd blank space beneath it. Perhaps make it so that the bottom of the signature is flush with the bottom of the postbits on short posts? Or if that's not possible, make the top of the signature flush with the top of the postbits instead of the bottom. That should keep posts compact while minimizing the blank space beneath the signature on short posts. Plus, it could give a rough estimate for a recommended signature size (≤ the width of the 4 postbits combined).

Brendan
August 25th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Me gusta

FrostByte
August 25th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I like having the option for the travelling navbar, but DO NOT WANT. It takes up my screen's real estate when reading posts. I like having as much vertical space as possible to read posts faster & the scrolling navbar takes some of that away from me.
I like the idea of having the option for it, but I'd personally rather not use it.

On another note: if you have a widescreen monitor (I'd say 95% of people on here probably do) you should try moving your taskbar (the bar with the start or windows button on it and the clock and everything) to the side of your screen. You might have to right click on it and unlock it before you can drag it. It takes like 2 or 3 days to get used to but after you do it's AMAZING. If you're right handed, put it on the left side of the screen... you'll get used to it much more quickly.

Tip for MacFags since that only applies to Windows: Get a new computer. Mac is horrible.

Damus_Graves
August 25th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I love this theme. +3 to you sir.

Mugy
August 25th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I like having the option for the travelling navbar, but DO NOT WANT. It takes up my screen's real estate when reading posts. I like having as much vertical space as possible to read posts faster & the scrolling navbar takes some of that away from me.
I like the idea of having the option for it, but I'd personally rather not use it.

On another note: if you have a widescreen monitor (I'd say 95% of people on here probably do) you should try moving your taskbar (the bar with the start or windows button on it and the clock and everything) to the side of your screen. You might have to right click on it and unlock it before you can drag it. It takes like 2 or 3 days to get used to but after you do it's AMAZING. If you're right handed, put it on the left side of the screen... you'll get used to it much more quickly.

Tip for MacFags since that only applies to Windows: Get a new computer. Mac is horrible.
Mac looks more like windows than windows 8
As for mac, go into settings, doc, position to left

Damus_Graves
August 25th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Will this theme be made with blue coloring as well?

AppleyNO
August 25th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Will this theme be made with blue coloring as well?
And Green?

>.> please?

EliteMarine
August 25th, 2012, 11:48 PM
There is now an awkward blank space above "SC2 Mafia" whenever I'm at the top of a page.

Indeed.

Also, if there is going to be a floating nav bar, may I request that the entire row has like a 50% black bg opacity. I think that it would look better when hovering over certain areas of the board.

Fatalis
August 26th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I like non floating nav bar better, although the graphics on this one seems better
OR I am having hallucinations again

Mugy
August 26th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I like the floating nav bar, but the nav bar glitches on my iPhone. It scrunches all up and gets in the way of typing.

oops_ur_dead
August 26th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Could you take a screenshot of this?

I'll see if I can make the floating navbar an option. Also, I will keep the old theme as an option.

EDIT: well, that wasn't too difficult. There's now a profile option (http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom) where you can enable/disable the floating navbar. I didn't test too extensively, so there may be some issues, but it should be solid.

The changes will be ported to the other theme colours, yes.

Indeed.

Also, if there is going to be a floating nav bar, may I request that the entire row has like a 50% black bg opacity. I think that it would look better when hovering over certain areas of the board.

Do you mean I should make the navbar transparent? I could try doing that, just to see how it looks.

Glip
August 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Could you take a screenshot of this?

Here's two examples of it.

oops_ur_dead
August 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Here's two examples of it.

Ugh, this is why Internet Explorer is a massive piece of shit.

I'll see if I can fix it, but the download site for IE9 is down right now so it may be a little while.

Bruno
August 26th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Glip deserves for using IE and not downloading Chrome or FF.

Glip
August 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Glip deserves for using IE and not downloading Chrome or FF.

If you would kindly direct your attention towards the bottom of those screenshots, you would see that not only did I already have Chrome, but I had an instance of it open at the time, tyvm.

Rocshi
August 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Holy shit, this is awesome.

Although I much prefer the right side. Not sure why.

Rocshi
August 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Also, I do like this theme a lot and will use it.
But one random bugfix:

When I log out, the "Welcome guest" is raised weirdly over the navbar, as well as the Username and Password boxes.
Note: It is very hard to click the Username and Password boxes while they are raised like that.

oops_ur_dead
August 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Also, I do like this theme a lot and will use it.
But one random bugfix:

When I log out, the "Welcome guest" is raised weirdly over the navbar, as well as the Username and Password boxes.
Note: It is very hard to click the Username and Password boxes while they are raised like that.

I'll fix this whenever I get to it.

I fixed the little issue there was with the navbar overlapping posts when the posts are directly linked to. Now, the navbar will be exactly at the top of the post.

creedkingsx
August 26th, 2012, 07:10 PM
People whose signatures are one-lined, like Brendan and Mugy in this thread, their signatures become abnormally large.

Glip
August 26th, 2012, 07:14 PM
People whose signatures are one-lined, like Brendan and Mugy in this thread, their signatures become abnormally large.

It's not that the signature itself is becoming abnormally large, it's that the postbits and avatar and such are taking up more space than the post content and signature, leaving a bunch of blank space underneath the signature to fill up the rest of the minimum post size. I addressed that in my first post.

Chane
August 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I was just wondering why the register option was still there.

the answer: yayap's smurf service.

TimeTrx
August 27th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I like it. I am guessing it is coded using CSS. Looks great with ad-block, but i wish there were a rep option at the top with notification/settings/logout, as it is so annoying searching for your rep right now.

oops_ur_dead
August 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I like it. I am guessing it is coded using CSS. Looks great with ad-block, but i wish there were a rep option at the top with notification/settings/logout, as it is so annoying searching for your rep right now.

The site was always coded with CSS, I just tweaked it.

Blazer
August 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM
The site was always coded with CSS, I just tweaked it.
Is learning C++
Teach me the ways of knowledge oops!

oops_ur_dead
August 27th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I don't know C++. The only way I know anything about CSS is by dicking around with the test theme. I had no knowledge of CSS prior to making the test theme.

Blazer
August 27th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I don't know C++. The only way I know anything about CSS is by dicking around with the test theme. I had no knowledge of CSS prior to making the test theme.

\_:)_/ worth a try

TimeTrx
August 27th, 2012, 06:05 PM

http://builder.cheezburger.com/Builder/RenderPreview/1bb0bfd8-b965-4b13-87d6-3c829bc889a9

Is learning C++
Teach me the ways of knowledge oops!

Dude i know C++. What you what to know?

Blazer
August 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM
EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damus_Graves
August 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
What is CSS and C++

Mugy
August 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
What is CSS and C++

CSS : Cascading Style Sheets
C++ : I have no Idea, Im only 15 :c. Something to do with cocoa I think?

creedkingsx
August 28th, 2012, 08:36 AM
CSS : Cascading Style Sheets
C++ : I have no Idea, Im only 15 :c. Something to do with cocoa I think?

Just another type of programming

creedkingsx
August 28th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Whats it do?

... You can do a lot of things with programming. Like make the Test theme he just implemented..

Blazer
August 28th, 2012, 10:31 AM
You can use c++ to make your computer do anything. Now back to the OP, on my droid the links overlap on the navbar when it moves.

Brendan
September 1st, 2012, 11:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/0i7XF.png sorry for shit picture I'm on an ancient computer atm.
but wtf

TimeTrx
September 1st, 2012, 01:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0i7XF.png sorry for shit picture I'm on an ancient computer atm.
but wtf
Ok, generally older browsers tend to use a different layout then new browsers. Especially Internet Explorer because HTML has changed over time. Basically whats happening is the browser does not know where to put the text because its not specified where to go. The browser defaults it on top of the other text causing your issue.

oops_ur_dead
September 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Actually it's because his monitor is tiny as fuck.

TimeTrx
September 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
Nah bro. Your problem is right here: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

This statement is referring that your using a template using XHTML, XHTML 1.0 is so dated. First of all can you legally change the template because VBulletin is commercial right?

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"

This quotation states that this is the address your template is referring to. Why is it not copied and referenced locally? Wasting so much bandwidth. GAHHhhhHHHHhh!!!!!!1!1111!11!!

Brendan
September 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Actually it's because his monitor is tiny as fuck.

This happens on my phone as well.
Also you dickwads blocked cell towers' I.P. addresses GG phones.

Blazer
September 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
This happens on my phone as well.
Also you dickwads blocked cell towers' I.P. addresses GG phones.

My phone works just fine

Brendan
September 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Opera>I.P. Blocked.

Mugy
September 11th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Did you just update the forum descriptions? Needs some getting used to :D

Blazer
September 11th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Did you just update the forum descriptions? Needs some getting used to :D

Yup, it's nice isn't it?

Lazers
September 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
It looks so fucking barren

Damus_Graves
September 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Oops is a flipping genius.
When i moused over the Subforum names i had to do a double take.

Blazer
September 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Oops is a flipping genius.
When i moused over the Subforum names i had to do a double take.

I keep mousing over to see it xD

Glip
April 16th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Bug Report:

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/10269-Rules-amp-Information-R-amp-D-Superthread-(READ-THIS-FIRST!)?p=166877&viewfull=1#post166877

When I click this link, the forum theme changes to DarkCore Blue, which is expected.

However, when I return to the non-R&D parts of the forum after clicking this link, the theme remains as DarkCore Blue, and won't return to the normal red color unless I reset the theme in settings. Dafuq? This only happens after clicking this specific link. If I just click the R&D forum and return to the main, the theme returns to DarkCore Test as expected.

Edit: NVM, this doesn't seem to happen all the time. But it happened three times, and I'm not sure what the exact cause is.

Apocist
April 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Bug Report:

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/10269-Rules-amp-Information-R-amp-D-Superthread-(READ-THIS-FIRST!)?p=166877&viewfull=1#post166877

When I click this link, the forum theme changes to DarkCore Blue, which is expected.

However, when I return to the non-R&D parts of the forum after clicking this link, the theme remains as DarkCore Blue, and won't return to the normal red color unless I reset the theme in settings. Dafuq? This only happens after clicking this specific link. If I just click the R&D forum and return to the main, the theme returns to DarkCore Test as expected.

Edit: NVM, this doesn't seem to happen all the time. But it happened three times, and I'm not sure what the exact cause is.

Yup, doesn't happen to meh.

oops_ur_dead
April 17th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Fine for me too.

Azuriae
April 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Bug Report:

Hm, Happens pretty often to me too.
I actually thought it permanently changed it to DarkCore Blue when I joined the R&D forum.

Still blue when I go back to the main page.
Doesn't really matter, but meh.

Apocist
April 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hm, Happens pretty often to me too.
I actually thought it permanently changed it to DarkCore Blue when I joined the R&D forum.

Still blue when I go back to the main page.
Doesn't really matter, but meh.

I'm not sure how the settings change. Is it kept in cookies?

Nazzhoul
April 22nd, 2013, 06:05 PM
Bug Report:

Pretty much this same thing just happened to me when I came back from the main FM forum. Had to log out and log back in (resetting it in the settings didn't work.)

Glip
April 22nd, 2013, 06:06 PM
Pretty much this same thing just happened to me when I came back from the main FM forum. Had to log out and log back in (resetting it in the settings didn't work.)

I had to save a different theme and then change it back to the test theme in order to reset it.