PDA

View Full Version : The Shovel Murder

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM
you are a king, in the early 1200's, there is no dna or blood testing. you have no chemical analysis or anything.

there has been a murder among the surfs. from looking at the dead body you can see he has been beaten to death by a shovel. the gates have been closed since night and no one has entered or left the city. you know that everyone owns an identical mass produced shovel. how do you identify the killer in the town?

-------------------------

edit, can someone move this into puzzles? i didnt realize where i posted it.

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Is the shovel with the body?

Damus_Graves
August 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Grudges, aggressiveness towards victim, hidden disgust.

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Is the shovel with the body?

nope

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 12:45 PM
nope

Have everyone bring their shovels to me? The murderer will have dents in his?

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Have everyone bring their shovels to me? The murderer will have dents in his?

nope, nice try tho, these shovels are sturdy =D

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
nope, nice try tho, these shovels are sturdy =D

Reveal myself as Mayor, and demand a Role Call. All Citizens, you say? Damn.

But actually, ask everyone who they were with that night? Determine which people were not home, and such.

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Reveal myself as Mayor, and demand a Role Call. All Citizens, you say? Damn.

But actually, ask everyone who they were with that night? Determine which people were not home, and such.

well the killer will obviously say he was at home alone, lieing ofc, and im sure there are a few unmarried surfs in the same boat as the killer with no wife or kids to say that the non killer was home all night. this wouldnt definitivley point out the murderer, but it would lower ur suspect pool, now what do you do with that fewer pool?

Cryptonic
August 21st, 2012, 01:06 PM
I kill them all

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
well the killer will obviously say he was at home alone, lieing ofc, and im sure there are a few unmarried surfs in the same boat as the killer with no wife or kids to say that the non killer was home all night. this wouldnt definitivley point out the murderer, but it would lower ur suspect pool, now what do you do with that fewer pool?

Have them fight to the death using shovels. The winner is clearly the strongest and most capable of being the murderer.

That, or further narrow it down by the peasants that he associated with, in personal and/or financial ways.

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Have them fight to the death using shovels. The winner is clearly the strongest and most capable of being the murderer.

That, or further narrow it down by the peasants that he associated with, in personal and/or financial ways.

i dont think you want to be a king that is killing off his servents xD that isnt the answer

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM
i dont think you want to be a king that is killing off his servents xD that isnt the answer

Where is the dead guys shovel?

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Where is the dead guys shovel?

every1 has their shovel in their own home. no shovel is missing or unaccounted for.

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM
every1 has their shovel in their own home. no shovel is missing or unaccounted for.

Where was he found dead? Do we know what time? Also, what day of the week?

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
none of those things will identify the killer, lets say in the center of town, at midnight, and on a tuesday. all useless information.

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 01:20 PM
none of those things will identify the killer, lets say in the center of town, at midnight, and on a tuesday. all useless information.

Well then it wasn't me. I do all my killing on Wednesday.

My surfs are poor, I will check the unaccounted for people for rags covered in blood.

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Well then it wasn't me. I do all my killing on Wednesday.

My surfs are poor, I will check the unaccounted for people for rags covered in blood.

all of the rags have been washed and cleaned. there are no rags covered in blood.

Slaol
August 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM
all of the rags have been washed and cleaned. there are no rags covered in blood.

Who alerted my soldiers to the dead guy? Also, is there a specific answer, or are you coming up with this? lol

kyle1234513
August 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
there is a specific answer and its quite obvious on how to handle it. you are really over thinking it like a modern day murder. heres a major hint - time will tell.

Gzz
August 21st, 2012, 11:35 PM
Probabylly there is a track of blood near the dead guy , follow it for find the killer

Nick
August 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
Mass produced shovels in 1200s.

The smell of blood on the shovel?

Rhyshueppauff
August 21st, 2012, 11:49 PM
Wait 850 years then do a bloodtest Then Wait Until timetravel is invented and go back and test who blood matchs?

kyle1234513
August 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
theres no blood trail, you are very close with the smell of blood, think of what happens because of that. and you cant wait 850 years because it exceeds your lifetime.

back to the original question, the answer is a "method that will correctly identify the killer"

Gzz
August 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Mmm , the dog can smell the blood's smell , so i use a dog for identify the killer by trainig he to recognize the blood's smell

kyle1234513
August 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Mmm , the dog can smell the blood's smell , so i use a dog for identify the killer by trainig he to recognize the blood's smell

i would accept that answer, but its not the answer im looking for, feel free to come up with another answer if you want.

Dust
September 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
The flies will come and sit on the shovel used to kill. Follow the flies.

Ash
September 26th, 2012, 06:40 AM
i dont think kyle is active anymore.

Dust
September 26th, 2012, 06:42 AM
goddammit, I thought that someone had posted here and made it active again. When I came back I saw Kyle's was the last one and I was like, "okay, I'll give this a go" but nooooo...

Ash
September 26th, 2012, 06:44 AM
goddammit, I thought that someone had posted here and made it active again. When I came back I saw Kyle's was the last one and I was like, "okay, I'll give this a go" but nooooo...
me too, the post must've been deleted

Caramel
September 26th, 2012, 07:51 AM
who the fuck deleted my post? i must have had the right answer lool