PDA

View Full Version : Honestly just scrap points

McJesus
April 26th, 2011, 11:21 PM
This is getting to the point where it is just rediclous. I have unlocked the female portrait at least six different times since the first time I got wiped only to have my stats wiped again. I really think if I post my bank file and ask for points the stats will just get wiped again and there isn't really much of a point to it.

But really would anyone not play mafia if there were no points? In the real world no one really gives a crap about how many points you have in a custom starcraft game. Maybe It is just I don't see the big deal behind this whole philosophy of achievements from games instead of just playing them for the sake of their own experience. Points aren't a measure of skill, just time spent playing. If the bank file is so puny it is way better to use it on something like a save slot and then if it resets every once in a while it isn't that big of a deal. The only real thing it helps with is determining the ideal next host and is that really worth all this shooting in the dark to get?

It would be cool to have them if Blizzard designed the custom maps for that feature better but they really didn't. Simple solution is just to focus on other things in the game and maybe go on the battle.net forums, write a rant yelling at blizzard about their bank files and then get the mafia community to support that so that blizzard will maybe look into fixing it.

Clawtrocity
April 26th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Host is chosen by whoever started the game.

When there is something you can collect while playing a game it becomes addicting. There are awards for collecting points and that makes us want to keep playing. Same reason achievement points work. They show how much effort you put into the game.

McJesus
April 26th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Host is chosen by whoever started the game.

When there is something you can collect while playing a game it becomes addicting. There are awards for collecting points and that makes us want to keep playing. Same reason achievement points work. They show how much effort you put into the game.

Replacment host is people -repick is made by points. And I play because it is fun, mafia wars didn't get to page 1 because everyone was obsessed about getting the most points.

Dark.Revenant
April 26th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Yeah but that's how it'll stay there.

I have no idea why Mafia is the only map with these problems. I've got absolutely no idea why this is so broken. I have spent the last two weeks, day and night, for EVERY day and night, losing sleep trying to get this fixed. I have sunk way too many hours into this to just let it all be for nothing now. If points won't work, I'm just deleting mafia from bnet and opensourcing it.

McJesus
April 26th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah but that's how it'll stay there.

I have no idea why Mafia is the only map with these problems. I've got absolutely no idea why this is so broken. I have spent the last two weeks, day and night, for EVERY day and night, losing sleep trying to get this fixed. I have sunk way too many hours into this to just let it all be for nothing now. If points won't work, I'm just deleting mafia from bnet and opensourcing it.

Wow thats kind of extreme :o

Dark.Revenant
April 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM
So is losing sleep, social life, and college grades for a free mod.

Membrax
April 27th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Points are working perfectly right now on Europe.
There is not global ranking, only local ranking with personal points.
Sounds good enough to me !

From my understanding, new US version (1.9) is fucked up due to addition of global ranking.
So why not keep it like it was in 1.8 ?
I think we'll survive with simply our personal points ;)

anemoneya
April 27th, 2011, 02:09 AM
on US, like 2 days ago when you removed global rankings, point never reset for me. It was good until 1.9(?) came out. I personally don't give shit about global ranking. I second the idea that we should remove global ranking like you did 2 days ago

Dark.Revenant
April 27th, 2011, 02:14 AM
The global rankings are not the source of these issues. I have tracked down the problem and am going to release the fix soon.

Zack
April 27th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Agreed, global ranks are not that important anyway. I for one rarely looked at them.

The points system is important to make people stay in the game until the end when they have a less fun role to play, like citizen and mason. And also to have a point for dying, otherwise all dead would leave the game and dying first turn would suck 100 times more than it does now.

I know for myself, that if there was no point gain in Mafia, and all models were freely unlocked, I wouldn't play it as much as I do, heh. I would still play it of course, but less.