PDA

View Full Version : PM Bug.

Sarzael
July 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
A investigator named Black Guy PMed me for role, and i told doctor, but instead of PMing the investigator named Black Guy i PMed the black player (Who was sk), so it looked something like this for him:
Luisa Mandrake: Guy doctor.
I died the next night by SK.

ChronoSnper
July 19th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Lol That sucks...
You should just use -pm (number) when there is a color involved in their name. I agree, though, this is a bug that can be fixed. (I would think)

Dark.Revenant
July 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
It's not actually a bug that can be fixed. I'm sorry to say it, but it's just logically impossible.

The problem is that the algorithm CANNOT KNOW how long the name you're typing to is. Example:

-pm Black God you suck at this game

How is the game to know whether you're messaging the black player "God you suck at this game" or the player Black God "you suck at this game"?

I can change the order of operations to always scan for full names before doing colors, but then it's possible to name yourself after a color and start fucking with the game.

As a rule of thumb, you should just use numbers to pm; it's faster and safer.

LeaversGonnaLeave
July 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
It's not actually a bug that can be fixed. I'm sorry to say it, but it's just logically impossible.

The problem is that the algorithm CANNOT KNOW how long the name you're typing to is. Example:

-pm Black God you suck at this game

How is the game to know whether you're messaging the black player "God you suck at this game" or the player Black God "you suck at this game"?

I can change the order of operations to always scan for full names before doing colors, but then it's possible to name yourself after a color and start fucking with the game.

As a rule of thumb, you should just use numbers to pm; it's faster and safer.

People already did start naming themselves as just colors such as just the name "Black" or "Blue" and it makes it slightly annoying to PM them. Or well, it used to. Thanks for the number system.