PDA

View Full Version : Jester adds nothing and detracts a lot.

zombiecompacter
April 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Let me start off by saying I found this game a couple of weeks ago, and I really enjoy it. I'm glad to see you're updating things and keeping it fresh. The new rolls are interesting and add to the game.

Except the Jester. This roll, while good on paper, encourages heavy spamming and insulting until people kill them just to get them to shut up. I have not had one game with a jester where they did not spam constantly through the first one or two rounds, and then is lynched.

A spam filter on the Jester role would keep them in the game, but make their roll less of a "how fast can I spam" and more of a "how can I make people think I'm mafia". If that's not feasible, please, just remove them.

Also, on a side note, Framer seems very very OP. I've never been one myself, but unless they have limited numbers of framings, they can pretty much singlehandedly win against the town quite easily.

Deolrin
April 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Imo, the Jester can be a very powerful role in the hands of a skilled player.
The Jester can basically manipulate the entire town, by being the deciding role who simply doesn't care if he gets lynched himself.
I think it would be interesting if Jesters received more points the less living people there were when they were lynched.
And if you lynch someone just because they're spamming, ESPECIALLY when you know they're a jester, you're stupid. :P If he's annoying enough, the Mafia or Serial Killer or Vigilante will kill him at night either way.

Dark.Revenant
April 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Framer is hard to use. On one hand, he can get townies lynched. On the other hand, on the likely scenario that he misses, he's basically useless.

Also, I've been meaning to make an anti-spam system. This will affect the Jester as well as every other role.

On an unrelated note, an anti-AFK system will also be introduced (displays XYZ is AFK and denies them a portion of their points for the percentage of time that they're AFK, plus a premium). AFK will be decided both by not typing (three minutes with no messages = AFK) or by not voting/using abilities (you're AFK unless you used your night ability or voted for a lynch at least once in the last 3 days before the game-end). The latter check is to prevent a looping chat macro.

Clawtrocity
April 25th, 2011, 10:39 AM
The Jester role adds another dimension to the game. I wish that if you win as a Jester that you got more points than you currently do because if someone claims they are a jester then no one cares and they kill them anyway...They aren't any threat to the game. A spam filter needs to be put in the game regardless except during last words and defense's.

The framer is no OP at all, he has to either setup a sheriff or investigator to check someone or he has to be extremely lucky with his choice of who's being framed. It again adds another dimension to the game. Was the sheriff fooled or was he mafia and is trying to claim there is a framer? Take your chance and you could lose a very important role and if there is another sheriff checking him then that 2nd sheriff could get douped.

Mafia is a game that's a lot like Rock Paper Scissors. Yes you can play mind games and play with someone enough to know what they do, but it's also about luck and how you use that to your advantage and disadvantage.

Vorpal
April 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
The Jester role adds another dimension to the game. I wish that if you win as a Jester that you got more points than you currently do because if someone claims they are a jester then no one cares and they kill them anyway...They aren't any threat to the game. A spam filter needs to be put in the game regardless except during last words and defense's.

The framer is no OP at all, he has to either setup a sheriff or investigator to check someone or he has to be extremely lucky with his choice of who's being framed. It again adds another dimension to the game. Was the sheriff fooled or was he mafia and is trying to claim there is a framer? Take your chance and you could lose a very important role and if there is another sheriff checking him then that 2nd sheriff could get douped.

Mafia is a game that's a lot like Rock Paper Scissors. Yes you can play mind games and play with someone enough to know what they do, but it's also about luck and how you use that to your advantage and disadvantage.

Not to mention, I find being the jester a lot of fun. Help the mafia but not too much, etc. It's a careful balancing act, especially if there is a SK and Vigi!

zombiecompacter
April 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I agree that the Jester has the potential to be a powerful role, but until the spam filter is put in place, those who use it for more than spamming to quick points are few and far between.

As for the Framer, I don't have much experience with them, but I see what you're saying. It's kind of a all or nothing role? The few games I've played with one had them frame the doctor as the mafia, which got the doc lynched, and then the sheriff subsequently lynched because he was wrong.

Also, on a side note DR, what are the models available at higher points? I know there's male and female, but whats beyond that?

Dark.Revenant
April 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Male, Female, Scientist, Prisoner, and Hunk

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
April 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Male, Female, Scientist, Prisoner, and Hunk

Surely you jest, HUNK? I'd be surprised to even find a suitable SC2 model for him.

thisismyname
April 25th, 2011, 02:52 PM
It has been way too easy to win as the Jester. All I have to do is throw down a bunch of BS on the first day that is obviously bull, like pretending to be a mason or something, and I get immediately lynched for the win. They never know if I'm a noob or a Jester, especially if it's a Random Neutral. They are a fun role that shouldn't be removed, but shouldn't be used too often.

The Framer and Janitor, on the other hand, are really annoying roles that make the mafia a little OP IMO.

Fulla
April 25th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I really think the Jester winning should be more heavy hitting for the town and mafia.

Currently no1 really gives a crap is the Jester wins. Many will lynch him knowingly just to shut him up.

Personally I would just put it outright, if Jester gets lynches everyone looses. I doubt you'd ever implement that thou. But atleast consider heavily penalizing the other players end game points for wrongly getting the Jester.

It would make the game so much more interesting.

Clawtrocity
April 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it seems a lot of people don't like the Jester...Definitely needs tweaking, but it's a great role to have.

McJesus
April 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
On an unrelated note, an anti-AFK system will also be introduced (displays XYZ is AFK and denies them a portion of their points for the percentage of time that they're AFK, plus a premium). AFK will be decided both by not typing (three minutes with no messages = AFK) or by not voting/using abilities (you're AFK unless you used your night ability or voted for a lynch at least once in the last 3 days before the game-end). The latter check is to prevent a looping chat macro.

With the afk check what if you die in the first or second night and stick around to watch the game? I would probably just leave if I knew my points were going to be docked because the system determined me to be afk and not stick around to see results.

Dark.Revenant
April 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Dead people can't be AFK lol.

Kaldra
April 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I do not believe the Jester takes away from the game at all. Most games since V1.0 that I have hosted I usually have people screaming for either a Jester or a Witch to be added to the role list. Personally I enjoy the Jester role. I'm usually able to pull off being lynched by the first day, WITHOUT resorting to spam or being stupid. I do believe some inexperienced players may resort to these tactics but any role in the hands of an inexperienced will end badly. Like a Vigilante shooting a random on the first night and killing a townie. With a spam filter like DR said will fix that right away.

What I do feel that is taking away the fun of this game is that with this patch adding so many neutral roles (BTW are all awesome!) that people are adding too many neutral roles to the role list at the cost of having a balanced town. With these kinds of maps its always basically a one sided killing spree of townies. Unfortunately this is with people wanting all power roles to play and leaving if there citizen. Before V1.0 came out you would play with just a SK or survivor. Maybe both, maybe. But now I see games where 4 neutrals are added and it just throws the balance off. Six people might die in the first night. I know there isn't much that could be done to this extent, but this is just my two cents about the subject.

Keep on adding the great new roles DR! :)

Elixir
April 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM
The Jester is a fun role to play and can actually be used by crafty mafia to avoid the lynch bat, but I agree the newer players will just spam and insult. I agree that it is a lot more powerful on random, but still equally as good chosen. Good Jesters dont have to be retards to get lynched... Causing a random lynch, claiming sheriff getting a townie axed to be lynched the next day... things like that.

The anti spam system would be a welcome change.

I've seen an increase of spammers in the host screen as well (probably because they dont get their all SK or All Any Random games...), which due to the chat system puts so much strain on the map that everyone, including the host setting up, lags to shit. Would it be possible to throttle or limit the host screen shat as well?

Dark.Revenant
April 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM
All chat runs off of the same system, jsyk.

Elixir
April 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM
All chat runs off of the same system, jsyk.

I didn't think there'd be a difference, just thought I'd put it out there ;p

Keifru
April 26th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I've always disliked the Jester role, because it encourages play that is so different from 'regular' play you would expect in a game of Mafia.
The fact the game doesn't instantly end with Jester winning, though, means I'm fine with the role.

Actually had a hilarious game where I was telling the host to not include jester, and then I rolled jester. Ended up getting the Arsonist lynched (thought he was Consig) and then the scumteam were able to get a wagon formed on me and got me lynched. (And then they went on to win it.)

Imperfect
April 26th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Jester rarely ends up getting lynched in my games. I think the role is fine. Most jesters don't try to spam to not seem obvious.

Membrax
April 26th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I personally find the Jester very enjoyable to play, and I've yet to see one spam the hell out of everyone to get lynched.
It's great fun to defend seemingly vigorously, get lynched and surprise everyone :)

squall55
April 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Actually I think the Jester is a great PLUS to the game. His f*ck-the-world-I-win-anyway attitude can be a great fun.
Also i almost never encountered a Jester who constantly spammed the channel to annoy people, mist time they try to present themselves as Sheriffs/Investigators and accuse someone as a bad guy. If that person is lynched and a townie, the jester normally get's lynched the following day.

Also, the Jester has a much greater indirect influence on the game.. Most players (at least on EU) avoid random voting for trial, because they don't want the Jester to win...