PDA

View Full Version : Lateral/Bilingual Puzzle #2

clementine
July 30th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Maya lives in a small village in the country. She is a weaver that makes a great tako salad. Every day, Maya obtains fresh reeds to weave baskets from her neighbor, Ken. She often greets him by saying, "¿Komo está?" Maya is very friendly and her motto is “Mi kasa es tu kasa.”

Maya's daughter Naomi is in high school despite being quite young for her grade. She is an adept texter and likes to send many ii-mails. When asked how old she is, Naomi replies that she is a genius.

How old is Naomi?

Use "typos" in the first paragraph to determine where Maya and Naomi live.

Damus_Graves
July 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
im assuming spain; and im gonna say 7 or 8

KnightOfDeath
July 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Spanish And Aimee Is 11

clementine
July 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Try to figure out why there are "typos" in the OP. Spanish is a red herring in this puzzle that is meant to lead you to the wrong conclusion. I'll add last names into the puzzle to make things easier if nobody can figure out where Maya and Naomi live/what language they speak.

RookRanger
July 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
mexican or soth american

Cryptonic
July 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
How does she get cell phone reception in a small fishing village? ^.^

Bruno
July 30th, 2012, 02:41 PM
How does she get cell phone reception in a small fishing village? ^.^

Aliens

ajkei
July 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM
They are americans they are members of the KKKK its the ku klx klementine klan
Did i do gud?

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM
the only typos i see is kasa is supposed to be casa and komo as como.

and tako = taco. right? wtf is tako?

and ii-mail = email

Damus_Graves
July 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Second Guess:
Native American and 10 years old.

RookRanger
July 30th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Second Guess:
Native American and 10 years old.

no hinters there

Damus_Graves
July 30th, 2012, 02:45 PM
no hinters there

Confused about what you mean.

anyways, am i correct clem?

ajkei
July 30th, 2012, 02:45 PM
the only typos i see is kasa is supposed to be casa and komo as como.

and tako = taco. right? wtf is tako?

well obviously shes from a place with a language that doesnt have c's in it so every c is replaced by the kkkk

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM
well obviously shes from a place with a language that doesnt have c's in it so every c is replaced by the kkkk
those are some ignorants motherfuckers then.

Bunny
July 30th, 2012, 03:08 PM
clearly she's mohican..:O

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM
hey clem was anyone right or close?

clementine
July 30th, 2012, 05:01 PM
hey clem was anyone right or close?

As expected of a Pokemon master like Ash, he came the closest. <- this is another clue

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 06:06 PM
As expected of a Pokemon master like Ash, he came the closest. <- this is another clue
ur wifoming about that sentence being a clue. Maybe you meant post number 9 and 14 being closest, OR again it's just WIFOM.

creedkingsx
July 30th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Is she from Japan?

clementine
July 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, creed is correct!

Maya, Ken, and Naomi are names that can be spelled with the Japanese alphabet. Maya is a Japanese Latin American who is ethnically Japanese but lives in South America and speaks both Japanese, Spanish, and English. In linguistics, the use of more than one language or language variety in conversation is called codeswitching. The mixture of Spanish and Japanese was meant as a red herring to mislead people into thinking Maya was speaking pure Spanish.

Maya makes a tako (octopus) salad // but it sounds like taco (taco) salad.

Maya says ¿Komo está? which in the codeswitching mixture of Japanese and Spanish means "are there any reeds" (for her basket weaving) // but it sounds like "Como está?", Spanish for "How are you?"

Maya says "Mi kasa es tu kasa" which in the codeswitching mixture of Japanese and Spanish means "my umbrella is your umbrella" // but it sounds like "Mi casa es tu casa", Spanish for "my house is your house."

Naomi likes to send "ii-mails" which is good (ii) mail in Japanese // but it sounds like e-mail.

----

Now that we have established that Maya and Naomi speak Japanese, the real question is: How old is Naomi? Refer to paragraph #2 for clues about that. It might be a little obtuse to figure out if you don't have any knowledge of Japanese, but you might be able to figure some stuff out using google translate!!

creedkingsx
July 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM

clementine
July 30th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Please try to explain why you guess what you guess with a bit of reasoning!

creedkingsx
July 30th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I don't know my reasoning. LOL
Eich nei sun chei go ro seich hach ku ju
that's 1-10 in japanese with no legitimacy in spelling.
genius kinda sounds like ju n eich lol

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 09:46 PM
taco salad... this will be the best invention in man history.

Nick
July 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Nan-sai desu-ka?
Ten-sai desu!

clementine
July 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Nick is correct!

In Japanese, the format for saying your age is # + sai. (Think of "sai" as "years old")

In Japanese the word for genius is "tensai" which sounds like 10 + sai (age counter).

Thus, Naomi says she is a genius, which is a Japanese/English pun on her age!