PDA

View Full Version : {Implemented} Add the player numbers to the left of their names.

Fred Wilson
July 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM
No naming restrictions causes a lot of confusion for newer players, I suggest that we put the player number to the left of the player name, so people can do things like say "lynch 3 he has gas im sheriff" or "-pm 6 how do you have two colors in your name?".

Bruno
July 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Honestly, if someone can't type a name and if another can't comprehend the name he's typing, they aren't intelligent enough to play Mafia.

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
learn 2 count

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
learn 2 count
Forgot this:
http://www.countrycrossstitchkits.co.uk/acatalog/610-10-00-learn-to-count-300px.jpg

stanoly
July 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM
"lynch 3 he has gas im sheriff".

LoL

Fred Wilson
July 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Honestly, if someone can't type a name and if another can't comprehend the name he's typing, they aren't intelligent enough to play Mafia.

If the name has HTML in it then you can't reasonably type it. My suggestion is to help newer players which I suspect will arrive with the arcade, I see a lot of people asking about colors and whatnot. New to the game =! unintelligent and undeserving to play.

Fred Wilson
July 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
learn 2 count

Counting down the list when half the players are dead can be daunting.

Bruno
July 30th, 2012, 10:30 AM
HTML is what is done for coloring names, not much else.

Are you saying people are dumb enough to not be able to READ THE NAME AND SAY LYNCH HIM? BECAUSE HE ISN'T RED/BLUE/GREEN/ETC?

Then yes, they are EXTREMELY undeserving to play. Or, you know, count manually on a God forsaken 15 name long list.

If it's a daunting task, then kill yaself. Seriously, no excuse for not being able to count to 15 and ignore gray names.

Fred Wilson
July 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
HTML is what is done for coloring names, not much else.

Are you saying people are dumb enough to not be able to READ THE NAME AND SAY LYNCH HIM? BECAUSE HE ISN'T RED/BLUE/GREEN/ETC?

Then yes, they are EXTREMELY undeserving to play. Or, you know, count manually on a God forsaken 15 name long list.

If it's a daunting task, then kill yaself. Seriously, no excuse for not being able to count to 15 and ignore gray names.

My point about html was regarding pm's and things of that nature. Also, as I said, if 10 players are dead, it can be hard to count the blank lines. I don't know if you play a different version of the game than me, but there are no grey names.

Cryptonic
July 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM
But Bruno, what if the name is 255 characters long?
How am I supposed to type that out in the length of a day?

Bruno
July 30th, 2012, 10:34 AM
My point about html was regarding pm's and things of that nature. Also, as I said, if 10 players are dead, it can be hard to count the blank lines.

And as I said, if you can't ignore blank lines, you're blatantly a moron. AMG HE HAS TWO CULURS :( If he isn't a troll and has a normal name that is just colored, do -pm name. Jesus Christ, you're making me look like Stephen Hawking

@Cryptonic,

just type the beginning of the name out or address him as "The asshole with the long name".

Fred Wilson
July 30th, 2012, 10:39 AM
And as I said, if you can't ignore blank lines, you're blatantly a moron. AMG HE HAS TWO CULURS :( If he isn't a troll and has a normal name that is just colored, do -pm name. Jesus Christ, you're making me look like Stephen Hawking

-pm name requires any html along with it if I am not mistaken

Cryptonic
July 30th, 2012, 10:39 AM
if you can't remember the colors, you can always -colors

Bruno
July 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I give up.

Fred Wilson
July 30th, 2012, 10:44 AM

This is true, but the majority of players (whilst shopping the arcade) are clueless of this option. It also takes less time to write 10 then it does to write light green.

I understand that it's not a major game improvement, but I feel it is nonetheless a welcome addition? No?

Damus_Graves
July 30th, 2012, 10:45 AM
-colors will help you.

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM
NO. JUST COUNT FROM UP THE LIST AND COUNT DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE THE PLAYER YOU WANT TO MESSAGE.

IF HE IS NUMBER 13 THEN DO -PM 13 HI UR MAFIA

McKinley
July 30th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I really don't see much difficulty in adding a number in front of each name slot that's statically there no matter the name.

Or why it wouldn't be a good idea.

So what if you can count. It can save time, and time saved is more time used to scum hunt.

Lysergic
July 30th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Personally, I think this is a great idea. Small change that would save people a lot of time and help newer players. +1

On another note, cool it with the insults and aggressiveness or I'll start handing out red cards.

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Personally, I think this is a great idea. Small change that would save people a lot of time and help newer players. +1

On another note, cool it with the insults and aggressiveness or I'll start handing out red cards.
r u talking 2 me mr referee?
i scored a legit goal, i was telling and teaching him how 2 count.

SPazZTiK
July 30th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I agree, great idea. People with colored names can be a pain to try and pm or identify to the town, especially when they have similar or identical names. Like, if five people enter the game with the name "red" and/or they make their name colored a shade of red, that becomes a cluster when trying to PM or identify them. This and other similar things have happened on multiple games that I've seen. Having numbers next to the names simplifies it for everyone.

Lysergic
July 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM
r u talking 2 me mr referee?
i scored a legit goal, i was telling and teaching him how 2 count.

No, I was talking to Bruno and his shiny new yellow card.

Nick
July 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Numbers > colors > names.

Names might be too complex or too long
Colors are no good because of bad monitors and color blindness
Numbers require counting and is confusing once there are too many dead

Suggestion solves the weakness of numbers.

Ambient
July 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
^ This will tell you the color of any living player. It is in the list of commands in the help menu.

Ash
July 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
^ This will tell you the color of any living player. It is in the list of commands in the help menu.
Unblock me in sc2

ajkei
July 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I never herd of -colors befo
:S
I agree with guy's suggestion

creedkingsx
July 30th, 2012, 08:44 PM
This seems unnecessary.
Most colors are obvious,
Those that colored their names, there is always -colors.

Fred Wilson
July 30th, 2012, 11:53 PM
You can type -colors, or you can take a glance at the list. My method is more time-efficient, and time sometimes may be valuable.

creedkingsx
July 30th, 2012, 11:56 PM
You can type -colors, or you can take a glance at the list. My method is more time-efficient, and time sometimes may be valuable.

It's more a question of necessity lol
Not a huge deal either way. It is something that would have a relatively minimal impact.

Yayap
July 31st, 2012, 12:03 AM
Wasn't this idea implemented a few months ago? I somewhat remember a bug that forced us to remove/change it. I remember going over the code with Rev trying to find the cause. Unless this bug was fixed, implementing it again might just bring back the problem.

http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/2473-Disguiser-Bug

Elixir
July 31st, 2012, 12:04 AM
We added this but had to revert it because it caused a super bug with the disguiser as stated above.

This isn't going in

Elixir
July 31st, 2012, 12:11 AM
[5:10:49 PM] Dark Revenant: yayap
[5:10:52 PM] Dark Revenant: i remembered it too
[5:10:56 PM] Dark Revenant: the one with the player numbers, right?
[5:11:02 PM] Yayap: yup
[5:11:08 PM] Dark Revenant: i actually
[5:11:12 PM] Dark Revenant: added that into the 1.5 patch
[5:11:20 PM] Elixir: Welp
[5:11:23 PM] Dark Revenant: number next to names
[5:11:24 PM] Creedkingsx: lol
[5:11:27 PM] Dark Revenant: it was a hackish solution
[5:11:27 PM] Creedkingsx: it works?
[5:11:28 PM] Dark Revenant: oh well
[5:11:29 PM] Elixir: IMPLEMENTED

creedkingsx
July 31st, 2012, 12:13 AM
lol
I wanna say herp derp.. but he didn't know so it isn't so much. xD

Fred Wilson
July 31st, 2012, 11:47 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see this was slipped in the update. Woot.

creedkingsx
July 31st, 2012, 11:50 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see this was slipped in the update. Woot.

It was messed up at first, but fixed quickly after. :D

Gingerape
August 1st, 2012, 12:03 AM
I liked it better when it was messed up. I felt like a mod.

Fred Wilson
August 4th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Wait why is this on the shelf and the display case at the same time?

Lazers
August 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Some mods were like "Fuck this is an unnecessary idea, REJECTED HO", and DR was all like "FUCK YOU MODS I DO WHAT I WANT, ACCEPTED"

Yeah

creedkingsx
August 4th, 2012, 05:32 PM

It was rejected at first because at one time they tried this and it didn't work, but now it works so it is here.

EliteMarine
August 5th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I will say that i heavily use this feature. Makes pming so much easier in combination with suggesting mafia kills.

CmG
August 5th, 2012, 09:38 AM
if the numbers would transfer to the people on the graveyard, writing last wills would be much more number intensive and faster. Could you implement this as well?

Damus_Graves
August 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM
if the numbers would transfer to the people on the graveyard, writing last willst would be much more number intensive and faster. Could you implement this as well?

this
please and thank you