PDA

View Full Version : SCU

Dark.Revenant
July 15th, 2011, 09:10 PM
This is just a side project I've been helping with on occasion.

StarCraft Universe (Alpha) - Official Gameplay Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZNrzKLO5I#ws)

ALL of the members of this team are as good as me.

Goonswarm
July 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Saw this on reddit today. Fucking amazing.

North Star
July 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I cant believe how great this game looks!
I saw a very early build of it a while ago, but, this looks so amazing... GJ...
(This will shoot up to the top of the popularity list immediately when it comes out...)

FalseTruth
July 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM
wtf WoW on sc2 custom?

S
July 16th, 2011, 01:05 AM
i came buckets

Elixir
July 16th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Saw this on fb actually. Crazy amazing project ;o

S
July 16th, 2011, 01:54 PM
ive just seen a post on teamliquid about this, is it true that this will be a pay2play map coming when the sc2 map market is ready?

Dark.Revenant
July 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
The PVP arena and a raid demo will be free to play, but the full raid maps will require purchases. At least, that's the current plan.

NorthStar
July 18th, 2011, 08:57 AM
The only thing better then this.... is Mafia...

r4ndomdude
July 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Your wrong NorthStar. THIS IS LIKE A FULL GAME!

chocopaw
July 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hihi, DR you have a funny last name. :)

I'll copy my yt-commentary:
The video is awesome, and I'm sure so is the map, but are there really any sc-fans that would like Blizzard to make an sc mmo("Since 1999, Blizzard fans have dreamed about what it would be like to play a StarCraft MMO")? Oo It would screw over the lore so hard and just suck so much, I can hardly think of it without getting sick.

Graham
July 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Oh. my. God!

DR. Respect.

By the way.. do you know how they will deal with laggers and unexpected disconnections?

Clawtrocity
July 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Holy shit I didn't know you've been working on SCU

Have you been with it since the start or did you sorta jump in recently?

Dark.Revenant
July 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM
More or less from the beginning.

WaWMoose
July 19th, 2011, 09:35 PM
awwwwwwwwesome sauce. this looks amazing omg. AAHHHHHHHHHHHH freakout

Auckmid
July 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM
So u said that we have to pay money in order to download full version. How much will it cost, and how are we suposed to pay?

Dark.Revenant
July 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Blizzard Map Marketplace. That's one of the reasons it will be a HotS release.

Pricing is undecided, but will be low.

Auckmid
July 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
Ok, but we dont need to make a special acount in order to pay?

If it's easy to buy, i'll take it when it comes out.

People will probably hate me for saying this, even though it's probably true, but you can probably charge preaty high for it. Most people will either never buy it, even if it only costs $1, while others may grumble, but will be willing to pay a lot of money for SCU?

Spy
July 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
Plato almost donated $288 on that website. But just realised what a silly thing to do! There are much better games out there with that kind of money.

o.O

Examples:

"Adult Shop in Real Life"
"5-star Hotel Menu in Real Life"
"Buy nice socks in Real Life"

Dark.Revenant
July 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
I say "low" and not a ballpark range because we don't know what the market will bear. If it's as you say and the amount of buyers are low but the payments are high, say $10, then we will price accordingly. You'd be surprised how popular a WoW-style game can be. Lower individual prices but greater sales adds up a LOT. That's why I said "low" because I think that most maps will sell low.

Auckmid
July 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM
I say "low" and not a ballpark range because we don't know what the market will bear. If it's as you say and the amount of buyers are low but the payments are high, say $10, then we will price accordingly. You'd be surprised how popular a WoW-style game can be. Lower individual prices but greater sales adds up a LOT. That's why I said "low" because I think that most maps will sell low.

There's no doubt that this won't be extreamly good selling, and a lot of money will be made, no matter what. You probably won't want to answer this question, and I'm fine if you don't, but what percent of all money earned are you going to get?

Dark.Revenant
July 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
It'll be proportionate to how much I do for the mod. It's not done yet so there's no way I can know what that would be.

Graham
July 22nd, 2011, 03:39 AM

Angry Birds proved this. $1 or $2 but lot of people bought it, translating into millions of dollars.

Spy
July 23rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
SCU is not going to be Angry Birds, right? Starcraft isn't accessible to a lot of people. All my friends have played Angry Birds. None of my friends even know what Starcraft is.

Dark.Revenant
July 23rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Honestly I think the price will end up being $5, but that's just me.

Graham
July 23rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
Haha, of course SCU won't be popular like Angry Birds. The yield would be much lower accordingly, but it's still some sweet money I guess. :)

I see. I'd def pay that. Maybe up to 10 bucks or so, to be reasonable. $5 is a very reasonable price :P

Landstander
July 26th, 2011, 09:57 AM
it'll be $14.99 easy, WoW has no issues with the current price and there's a bunch of 8 year olds running around, anything to babysit the kids right?

Ozymandias
July 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Simulated Physics Engineer: Dark.Revenant
Areas of expertise:
- Triggers in general
- Highly complex mathematic formulas <-- What the...?