PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Puzzle

Fatalis
July 28th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I like puzzles :) This one is fairly more simple than my last, but it is not by any means easy

There is a warden ( no, not Ambient )
He is in charge in a jail with 8 prisoners
One day, the warden got bored, so he came up with a challenge
The warden called all of his 8 prisoners to meet , the prisoners are allowed to come up with a plan, but they can't communicate with each other after
The challenge Ambient made was=
There are a room with 2 switches ( they won't do anything )
Every now and then the warden will take the prisoners and they are forced to reverse the position of ONE switch ( from on to off or vise versa )
Theres no pattern to who the warden will take, it can be different persons each time or it can be the same person multiple times
When one of the prisoners think all of them have been taken to flip the switches at least ONCE, he will tell the warden, if he is correct, they are set free
If they are wrong, they will all be executed
The question is: What plan should they come up with in order to be free? ( the switches start at the on position )

Fatalis
July 28th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Nick is confused xD

Phyr
July 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I know the answer. You can do this with one switch with the option of switching (they don't have to switch) and any number of prisoners.
This one is a good riddle, too.
Actually I consider this one harder than the former one. It took me way more time to solve this one compared to the 12 coins riddle.

Fatalis
July 28th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I know the answer. You can do this with one switch with the option of switching (they don't have to switch) and any number of prisoners.
This one is a good riddle, too.
Actually I consider this one harder than the former one. It took me way more time to solve this one compared to the 12 coins riddle.

Whats your answer then ^ ^

I think that variation is much easier
Forcing the prisoners to switch makes it more challenging

Glip
July 28th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I like puzzles :) This one is fairly more simple than my last, but it is not by any means easy

There is a warden ( no, not Ambient )
He is in charge in a jail with 8 prisoners
One day, the warden got bored, so he came up with a challenge
The warden called all of his 8 prisoners to meet , the prisoners are allowed to come up with a plan, but they can't communicate with each other after
The challenge Ambient made was=
There are a room with 2 switches ( they won't do anything )
Every now and then the warden will take the prisoners and they are forced to reverse the position of ONE switch ( from on to off or vise versa )
Theres no pattern to who the warden will take, it can be different persons each time or it can be the same person multiple times
When one of the prisoners think all of them have been taken to flip the switches at least ONCE, he will tell the warden, if he is correct, they are set free
If they are wrong, they will all be executed
The question is: What plan should they come up with in order to be free? ( the switches start at the on position )

Well, I think I have a solution, but it may take forever for it to work out. Hope the warden doesn't get bored and give them a time limit.

1. Designate one person to be the counter/resetter. This guy will turn the left switch from ON to OFF every time he is sent to flip a switch, or flip the right switch if the left switch is already OFF.
2. Everyone else will only flip the left switch from OFF to ON once. If the left switch is ON when they receive it, or OFF but they already flipped it from OFF to ON once, they will flip the right switch instead.
3. Once the counter/resetter has received the left switch in the ON position 8 times, he knows that every prisoner has had a chance to flip the switch.

Fatalis
July 28th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Glip is correct, again
I shoukd give you reps if I can :(